No Dogs Allowed!

No Dogs Allowed!

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  168 ratings  ·  43 reviews
Welcome to Alberto's restaurant…unless you're a dog, a cat, a bunny, or ANYTHING with fur, feathers, or scales!The entertainment escalates in this nearly wordless picture book as more and more people arrive with a surprising selection of pets. Alberto turns them all away--only to see the crowd discover a friendlier alternative in the festive street. Will Alberto find a way...more
Published August 2nd 2011 by Sterling Children's Books

Go, Dog. Go! by P.D. EastmanClifford the Big Red Dog by Norman BridwellHarry the Dirty Dog by Gene ZionGood Dog, Carl by Alexandra DayFetch by Adam Glendon Sidwell
Picture Books About Dogs
74th out of 205 books — 74 voters
Extra Yarn by Mac BarnettChildren Make Terrible Pets by Peter  BrownSophie's Squash by Pat Zietlow MillerThe Quiet Book by Deborah UnderwoodI Want My Hat Back by Jon Klassen
Favorite MODERN Picture Books
45th out of 184 books — 30 voters

More lists with this book...

Melanie
In this beautifully illustrated wordless picture book readers meet a young boy and his dog hoping to have lunch at a restuarant with available outdoor seating. However the owner/manager of the place sees them coming and quickly changes the "welcome" sign to "no dogs allowed." Perturbed the boy and his dog head towards the fountain across from the place to sit. Then comes a young girl with a cat, a woman with a bunny and a fmaily with a kangaroo. The owner keeps changing the sign to reflect whate...more
Shane Prevosto

Synopsis:
Alberto is the proud, new owner of a restaurant in the middle of town. Though he really looks forward to helping customers, he continues to tighten the requirements for the types of guests. In the beginning, a child and his dog approach the restaurant, hoping to order food. When they attempt to order from the waiter, he turns them away, because he doesn't want to serve a dog. He then proceeds to write on his 'chalkboard' sign: "No Dogs Allowed!" Another child comes to the restaurant, l...more
Linda
This is nearly a wordless picture book, and what I call a ‘building’ story, where it adds to the same thing, page after page, getting more outrageous as it goes along. It begins at a small sidewalk café with a rather snooty waiter/owner? who first chalks on his menu board “No Dogs allowed!” which is the title. Next added to the list of those not welcome are cats, then bunnies, and on, until finally someone shows up with an elephant. The restaurant is clearly losing business and a local lemonade-...more
Nick Molinet
This one of those books that is short and doesn't really have a great story line but it has great characters, narration and pictures. This is the book of a restaurant owner and of all the animals that he has to say no because they are not allowed although in the end he changes his mind and makes his restaurant open to all people and animal around.

LE: after the story, ask the children if they have been somewhere where they weren't allowed to bring in their pets. After the discussion give them pap...more
Katy Bennett
Wordless picture book, with a small twist. There are signs that do have words to help tell the story. Not a good read-aloud.
Karina
The story of a town and their different animals is told through creative illustrations and simple text. The people of the town want to go eat at a fancy cafe, but are not allowed by the owner because of their unique friends. The owner keeps scaring them off, but in the end he realizes that friends can come in many different shapes and sizes. This story shows examples of dialog and gets readers to use their own imagination to fill in what's going on. That being said, this book can definitely be u...more
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
A waiter in a Parisian bistro adamantly refuses to serve dogs. Or cats. Or any other animals his human patrons attempt to sneak in. And finally the animal-loving humans are forced to seek sustenance from a street vendor, who doesn’t have close to enough food for the throngs of people and their animals who visit. Now the street vendor and the people and their animals must petition the waiter for help.

“No Dogs Or Cats Allowed” (sign on chalkboard at bistro)
Woman arrives with a bunny in her arms.
Wa...more
Audra Rowell
I'm always on the hunt for a good wordless picture book. With the right one, you can do so many great instructional things. And No Dogs Allowed is a wonderful find. While it's not absolutely, completely wordless, it is the detailed and vivid illustrations that tell the story of a waiter who insists that no animals visit his restaurant. What he doesn't realize is the number of people who have pets and the variety of pets that people have. It is only when his restaurant sits empty that the waiter...more
Jessica
A great wordless book!
Angie
This is an almost completely wordless picture book about a poor waiter who doesn't want animals in his restaurant. Unfortunately, they just keep on coming and setting up in the plaza around him. By the end he has compromised and his place is open for business for everyone. The joy of this book is the illustrations, which tell of the waiters frustrations and the party going on around him. It is a fun book and kids will enjoy pouring over the pictures to find all the details.
Nicolette
This book barely had much text in it but the pictures told most of the story just fine. It was about a man that owned a restaurant and didn't want animals in his restaurant. Everytime he saw someone walk in with an animal he would add that animal on the list on the sign outside, saying which were not welcome. Finally, at the end, he found that by being inviting to everyone and all creatures he would have a lot more customers and make more friends!
Ashley
This book is more wordless-ish than wordless, since the waiter is constantly adding writing to the "no dogs allowed" sign, but it is a great opportunity for kids who are just learning to read to start to anticipate written words based on the story found in the illustrations.

The style of illustration is crisp and full of details that bring each page to life. The story is funny and has a happy ending that focuses on acceptance and inclusion.
Danica Midlil
Okay, so I understand this is a simple picture book, but this got me a little riled up. People today think that it is totally acceptable to take their pets Everywhere and this book reminded me of this annoyance. I'm on the waiter's side. There is nothing wrong with not wanting furry beasts in your restaurant, hair salon, Ikea!, or what have you! Leave your pets at HOME people!
Claire Freeman
This story is told mainly through pictures. It is a sequence of pictures that involve signs and a few word bubbles to tell the story. I was intrigued by the different style of illustration throughout this book. At the beginning the store owner does not want any type of animal to enter his store, but in the end he realizes that he must look past this to receive customers!
Tricia
Almost wordless, this is a title to pour over with a small audience. A waiter doesn't want any of the many animals that happen along to his cafe to be served. As a result a small lemonade/ice cream cart in the park is overrun with business. Children will delight in the cooperation between the two servers in this book with a happy ending.
Nancy Jo Lambert
This book will be a huge hit with the kids because it is a wordless picture book. I am a storyteller, so I love to read these books at storytime. The kids know that when a say it is a wordless picture book, magic happens. This is beautifully illustrated and such a fun story it will be very easy to bring the magic!
Micah Walls
A fun book about someone who is not very happy and does not allow other animals into his restaurant. Really provides detail to students to be nice to everyone and invite them to do other things with them. Such a great message and could be a great read aloud for any grade level. Highly suggest this one!
Shelli
Mostly silly pictures tell the story of a man named Alberto who just wants to run a quiet little restaurant. Seems that in this town EVERYONE who comes looking for a meal has some sort of animal friend with them. Albert is going to have to make some changes if he wants to keep his restaurant open.
Angie
I do love this story. Shows what having an accepting and welcoming attitude can do.

I, however, am not a natural storyteller--I need the words on the page to help! So I'm not exactly sure how to share this one with the kids in a group setting. Will definitely recommend for checkouts, though.
Becky
Fun read with a moral. Every time we read it, we find new things in the pictures and tell the story in a different way. Allows my 3-year old to be creative with the storytelling; nice change from Dr. Seuss and many others where there is little room to play with the story.
Sassy School Counselor
I really like this book. I want to use it to discuss tolerance and inclusion. It would also be a good book to use when talking about segregation and laws that were passed to exclude certain groups. For classrooms that have problems with cliques it's also a great book.
John
No Dogs Allowed is a nearly wordless picture book that is told through signs. It reminds me of Once Upon a Banana, by Jennifer Armstrong and illustrated by Caldecott Medal-winning artist David Small.

The illustrations were created digitally.
Christy Malys
PB 49: This is a good book! I like how there are all these different pets shown in the book and how they are not allowed to go to the restaurant. But they all work together to have it work out so the animals can come.
Allison
sometimes I think too many people want to exclude everyone that doesn't fit into their idea of acceptable. This is a great book to challenge that way of thinking.
Carol
A great nearly wordless picture book. My 5-year-old loved to predict what was going to happen next. His additions to the "story" were quite wonderful.
Elisabeth
Love the illustrations in this almost wordless picture book. Lots to look at, lots of stories to tell within the book and yay for a local author!
Miri
Very cute. It's not really wordless, but there are only one or two words on most of the pages, so I thought it's close enough to count.
Karen
Since I don't understand why you would allow animals in a restuarant -- for all the health reasons - guess I just don't get this.
Melissa Luttrell-Hill
I really liked this book. It's so great to see how well a story can be told through pictures and just a few words!
Stephanie Sapp
Cute wordless picture book. Great lesson to be taught about getting along with everyone and working together.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Bee & Bird
  • The Cazuela That the Farm Maiden Stirred
  • Fall Mixed Up
  • Daisy Gets Lost
Linda Ashman's children's books have been named to the "best of the year" lists of the New York Times, Parenting Magazine, Child Magazine, New York Public Library, the Bank Street College of Education, the IRA/CBC and more. She is also the author of The Nuts and Bolts Guide to Writing Picture Books .

Linda lives in Chapel Hill, North Carolina with her husband, Jack Hicks, their son Jackson, and t...more
More about Linda Ashman...
Rain! Starry Safari Samantha on a Roll M IS FOR MISCHIEF: An A to Z of Naughty Children Creaky Old House: A Topsy-Turvy Tale of a Real Fixer-Upper