Start by marking “The Cat and the Fiddle: A Treasury of Nursery Rhymes” as Want to Read:
The Cat and the Fiddle: A Treasury of Nursery Rhymes

The Cat and the Fiddle: A Treasury of Nursery Rhymes

4.5 of 5 stars 4.50  ·  rating details  ·  42 ratings  ·  13 reviews
With over 40 traditional nursery rhymes, personally chosen by the illustrator and laid out in color-drenched double spreads. This is a beautiful, painterly collection of rhymes that has the makings of a classic. The pictures contain lots of detail to pore over, with strong decorative elements and a fine sense of color and design. The perfect book to share, not only with a ...more
Published September 27th 2011 by Frances Lincoln Children's Bks

To ask other readers questions about The Cat and the Fiddle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cat and the Fiddle

Gail Cooke

As children quite often the first poems or songs we hear are nursery rhymes, and we remember them. They become very much a part of our lives. Whether or not we later share them with our children they have not been forgotten. British artist Jackie Morris has collected some 40 nursery rhymes, some quite familiar, others not well known, and illustrated each with richly glorious paintings.

It was a joy for this reader to discover rhymes hitherto unknown to me, such as Grey Goose, I Had A Little Nut
Clarissa
This is a beautiful collection of nursery rhymes. There is a nice mix of familiar ones, and others that are rarely seen, and even one or two that I had never seen before. The arrangement of the rhymes is nice with rhymes following a theme together. The art is just beautiful!
Shanshad Whelan
Oh what a treat! I've always loved nursery rhymes. When I was younger I had a huge book full of newsprint quality paper that had lavish line drawings and every nursery rhyme I could imagine. I read it until it fell apart. Since then I check out collections regularly. But so many of them are run of the mill rhymes, with none of the more obscure rhymes included. And most of the artwork is either sweetly bland, painfully cute or just awkward. The baby's lap book, a title I do enjoy reading to my ki ...more
Saviour
Awesome reworking of these classic rhymes. See my full review at http://pirottablog.com/2012/08/05/boo...
Rachel
Stunning! Absolutely Breathtaking!!! I haven't feasted my eyes on something so beautiful in a long time! Viva Jackie!
I am now a Jackie Morris fan!

Amy
Elaborately illustrated collection of nursery rhymes. Bright and detailed watercolor illustrations accompany classic Mother Goose rhymes.
Jen
Gorgeous illustrations make this one stick out of the sea of Nursery Rhyme offerings. Would make a great gift.
Stunning illustrations! This collection of traditional nursery rhymes would be an excellent gift book for young children.
Michelle
Beautifully illustrated collection of some popular and many not-so-popular nursery rhymes.
Ally
Gorgeous illustrations to explore. Short, simple nursery rhymes.
Ms.Gaye
Anything by Jackie Morris is beautiful.
Kate
Beautiful artwork.
Nathan
Nathan marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2015
Christie
Christie marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Julia Ember
Julia Ember marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
Alison Rich
Alison Rich marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
Sarah Hailes
Sarah Hailes marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
Cora
Cora marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
Katie Williams
Katie Williams marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2014
Libby
Libby marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Jackie Morris lives in a small house on the Welsh coast. She wanted to be an artist from the earliest she could remember. After studying art at Hereford and Bath Academy she went on to illustrate for magazines and newspapers. She began her first book for children the week after her first child, Thomas was born and has gone on to illustrate and write many books.
More about Jackie Morris...
East of the Sun, West of the Moon Tell Me a Dragon I Am Cat The Snow Leopard The Ice Bear