Start by marking “150 Pounds: A Novel of Waists and Measures” as Want to Read:
150 Pounds: A Novel of Waists and Measures

150 Pounds: A Novel of Waists and Measures

3.26  ·  Rating Details  ·  974 Ratings  ·  186 Reviews
A smartly-written novel of two womenstarting at opposite ends of the scale--andfinding compromise and friendshipin their journey towards 150 pounds
In the fast paced life of blogging, two women stand out: Alexis Allbright, of Skinny Chick, and Shoshana Weiner, who writes Fat and Fabulous. Both have over five million loyal readers. Both are hungry for success.But the simi
Published January 17th 2012 by Thomas Dunne Books

To ask other readers questions about 150 Pounds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 150 Pounds

The Cupcake Queen by Heather HeplerIt's Raining Cupcakes by Lisa SchroederSprinkle with Murder by Jenn McKinlayComfort Food by Kate JacobsIf You Give a Cat a Cupcake by Laura Joffe Numeroff
Cupcakes on the Cover!
37th out of 139 books — 106 voters
Sweethearts by Sara ZarrBittersweet by Sarah OcklerFutures and Frosting by Tara SivecYes, Chef by Marcus SamuelssonScrambled Eggs at Midnight by Brad Barkley
Sweet and Sour
6th out of 35 books — 8 voters

More lists with this book...

Jean
Feb 24, 2012 Jean rated it it was ok
I like the idea; wish I could like the book. Where was the editor? Ideas were raised and then dropped, never to be seen again. The book contained several internal contradictions, often within the same paragraph. (One example: We are told that if Alexis finds a leopard print or soft pink feather in her closet, she can't tell if it's hers or her roommate's. On the very next page, though, we are told that Alexis never wears anything at all feminine. So, clearly, the pink feather and the leopard pri ...more
Tammy
Mar 05, 2012 Tammy rated it it was ok
As soon as I became aware of the premise for this book, I saw red flags. I should have paid attention to them. Two bloggers - one a fat activist of sorts and one a judgmental self-proclaimed skinny chick - meet on Oprah as enemies, live their separate lives, learn their separate lessons, and come to the same conclusion. It was very much a Goldilocks story - in the beginning, Shoshana is toooooo fat; Alexis is toooooo skinny - but in the end, they're both juuuuuust right. (face - palm)

Everything
Andrea
Apr 19, 2012 Andrea rated it did not like it
I wish there was a choice other than "read, to read, and currently reading". Something like "couldn't make it through" would work for me.

Did someone edit this book? Is there a reason that on page 22 Shoshana's father's name was Bill, and then on page 26, his name was Bob?

Pg 22: "She had been in the middle of baking a cherry pie and had flour on her hands and an apron which scattered like confetti as she ran toward her husband and daughter "Oh Bill!" she'd screamed."

Pg 26: "Bob used to tease her
Sandra
Feb 27, 2012 Sandra rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2012
I don't even know where to start. Firstly, the writing in this was terrible. Different viewpoints all over the place. Also, both Alexis and Shoshana could see through walls and curtains. For example, Alexis was at the ER and closes the curtain around her, but somehow sees the couple across the hallway--behind their own curtain. Ugh. Someone needs to fire their editor.

And the last four books I've read have had the proverbial gay best friend. Is this the must-have accessory for 2012? If I don't wr
Elizabeth
Feb 27, 2014 Elizabeth rated it did not like it
Shoshana (215 pounds) and Alexis (100 pounds) both write popular blogs related to women and their weight. Shoshana's Fat and Fabulous preaches "health at any size," while Alexis' Skinny Chick lauds obesity as a national tragedy, and disgusting to boot. After the women meet (and loathe) each other on Oprah, they each experience changes in their lives that lead them both to weigh 150.

I appreciate what this author is trying to do, and there are small glimpses of interesting character development a
Laura Pepper
Dec 29, 2011 Laura Pepper rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to read an advance review copy of 150 pounds. I love a book that comes full circle and this one certainly did - it is an incredibly satisfying read with delightful characters that are very well fleshed out and entertaining. The topic is a sensitive one, but Kate handles it gracefully with some wry wit thrown in for good measure.
One of the things I liked most was that it includes blog post entries by the two main characters to keep the story moving forward. This is a very clev
Kate Rockland
Dec 08, 2011 Kate Rockland rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
"A fun read from a fresh new voice" -JANE GREEN

"This novel is charming" -Booklist

"Rockland does an excellent job of subverting chick lit tropes"-Publisher's Weekly

Skinny chicks, chubby gals and all in between will connect to this perennially favorite female subject: how much a body should weigh-Kirkus Review

"Ms. Rockland handles an emotional topic sensitively yet head-on. The result is that the reader is left with an inner confidence and somehow more sure of living in their own skin. Every woman
Anjana
Feb 25, 2012 Anjana rated it really liked it
[image error]

150 Pounds touched a personal issue for me. I may not have been affected by my weight but I do know what it's like to look at magazines and movie stars and wish I looked like them, I know all about insecurities. I was that girl. Kate Rockland has approached delicate, controversial and highly important topics - Weight, Appearance, Self-Image and Confidence - and handled them with tact and class.

150 Pounds is the story of two highly successful bloggers - Alexis Allbright of Skinny C
Kimberly
Feb 10, 2012 Kimberly rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
This book was about Alexis and Shoshana--two women with major preoccupations with weight.

The stereotypes in this book are many. Alexis is the "skinny bitch," who counts calories with a vengeance, turns up her nose at food and those who enjoy it, and whose only friend is her gay roommate. Shoshana is "fat and fun," has dozens of friends, and enjoys having her nails done (this is a stereotype, trust me). Both come from families with money but live the poor life (convenient), both have suffered a t
Kim
Oct 25, 2015 Kim rated it did not like it
Shelves: i-quit-you
Under the category Life's Too Short For Bad Books.
I got this at a used book sale for a dollar and right now I'm trying to come up with ways that dollar could have been better spent:
Pack of gum
Two postage stamps
Vending machine Diet Coke
Donation to this author's editor
I didn't have huge expectations based on the cover, as this is very obviously Chick Lit Lite, something for sitting by the pool, a plane ride, etc. But those books when done well definitely have their place & I don't normally kno
Gail
Apr 21, 2013 Gail rated it it was amazing
Unreal. This book was amazing. I picked it up last night and finished it this afternoon. I really could not wait to see what happened to Alexis and to Shoshana. This is already on my "read it again when you're feeling bad" shelf. Both girls can provide such positive insight (by the end of the book) to anyone who isn't completely at peace with their body. Just amazing. Loved this book.
Mandy
Apr 30, 2014 Mandy rated it it was amazing
Well worth the read. Empowering women of all sizes.
Andrea Guy
Jan 17, 2012 Andrea Guy rated it it was amazing
This is an absolutely fantastic book that every woman should read. I mean it! Every woman should pick up this book. It is woman's fiction at its finest and funniest. But most of all it is a book that most women can relate too.

Raise your hand if you've had some kind of weight or body image issue?

I bet there are a lot of hands in the air. Mine's up.

This book shows the world from one super skinny woman and one not so skinny woman.

Here's why the book is so great.

1. You get to see two women on a jour
Elle
Aug 18, 2012 Elle rated it did not like it
Synopsis: Two semi-successful weight/lifestyle bloggers (Shoshana and Alexis) at opposite ends of the weight spectrum (size 16 and 0, respectively) meet on Oprah for a weight debate, then go off to live their separate lives. Along the way they learn some life lessons (boring ones) and ultimately come to meet in the middle (in both actual weight and life).

I really wanted to like this. Really. The title, the blurb -- it all called to me, begging for a read. But this is poorly written. It's trite,
Colleen
Jan 28, 2012 Colleen rated it liked it
In 150 Pounds, two successful bloggers on opposite ends of the scale face off. Alexis Allbright blogs at "Skinny Chick" and lives by a strict regimen of healthy food and workouts while Shoshana Weiner blogs at "Fat and Fabulous" where she encourages women to be happy at any size. They each personify what the other hates and there seems to be no common ground between them. As they each face major life changes, the beliefs to which they have clung do desperately are challenged and their eyes are o ...more
Jocelyn
Jan 23, 2012 Jocelyn rated it it was amazing
The journey of self-acceptance and comfort in your own skin is a life long one for many. Weight plays a key role in this journey and it can sometimes make the road ahead of you seem long, winding and filled with potholes. No matter how fit, confident and put together a woman appears, everyone has insecurities. Kate Rockland does something extraordinary with her novel 150 Pounds, she realistically gives readers hope. Hope that they can make their journey easier and more enjoyable by accepting the ...more
Stacy
Feb 09, 2012 Stacy rated it liked it
When I picked up this book I was expecting a fun, but very predictable read. Fortunately, this one had a few unexpected surprising elements that were smart and utterly charming.

The book is written in third person, with alternating perspectives from Shoshana and Alexis. Rockland did a great job giving each girl an engaging storyline. It’s funny, I would get so engrossed reading one girls section and then moan when it changed, but yet would groan again when perspectives changed again.

Shoshana and
Katherine Coble
Feb 13, 2012 Katherine Coble rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Jenny Colgan, Jane Green, Jennifer Weiner
I struggled with my opinion on this book and with what kind of review to give it.

As chick lit goes, this is a very good example of the types of books I've previously enjoyed in that category. It reminded me very much of early Jennifer Weiner (the heroine's name I took to be an homage of sorts to her), Jane Green (who blurbed the book) and Jenny Colgan. It has that sort of We Is Kwirky Girlz vibe that makes for a good experience. You read Chick Lit to hang out with the girls, and so the type of
Victoria
One thing's for sure -- this ain't your Mama's chick lit. The cupcakes on the cover may scream a frothy, lacking-in-substance storyline, but this novel is anything but.

Let's face it; the struggle with one's weight is universal. Especially for women, especially in this day and age. What makes this book so immediate and so gosh darn readable is that it attacks the weight issue from both sides of the scale. Alexis represents those in the lightweight division and Shoshana represents those in the hea
TheGeekyBlogger
Feb 06, 2012 TheGeekyBlogger rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012-read
Read for Fun!
Challenges: Read for Fun, Read-a-Thon
Overall Rating 4.25
Story Rating 4.00
Character Rating 4.50

First Thought when finished: I am so glad I picked up this book!

What a fun read! This book is for anyone that has ever dieted, worried about weight, judged people walking down the street, or thought horrid thoughts about themselves. There will be someone in this book that you identify with and go "a-ha"! Seriously, I laughed, cried, and cringed right along with the characters. In the end, I
Katie
May 16, 2012 Katie rated it really liked it
This novel was so easy to devour!

As any woman can identify with either or both characters, this novel touched on so many of the social dynamics that our country is currently struggling with.

1) Social media playing with our young girls' self-confidence and body image.
2) Keeping your diet to what works best with your body and excercise moderate to benefit your body. As the two main characters grasped in their journies how to come from their extremes and meet their goals in the middle.
Heather
Jan 25, 2012 Heather rated it really liked it
Ah – weight, the tie that binds us all, women at least. This is the story of two bloggers – one who is very thin and the other who is not. It begins with their appearance on Oprah. During the course of the book things happen that are out of their control and their weight changes. This is a new author to me. She writes fresh, modern and uses references I can really relate to. I really enjoyed this book. The characters spoke to me about their needs and wants. This will be an author to watch.
Charlotte
Jan 21, 2012 Charlotte rated it really liked it

150 Pounds is an absolute must read for any woman who has struggled with body image. The cover may look fluffy and this book may be a Chick Lit novel, but the message is an important one that many of us tend to forget. It may sound a bit cliche, but it is so very true, it doesn't matter how much weight you gain or lose, all that matters is who you are on the inside.
Marie Dafgard
May 26, 2012 Marie Dafgard rated it really liked it
Anyone who says that there are inconsistencies within this book didn't do a very good job reading it. That said, I thought this was an excellent read. Not the greatest written work in the world by any means, but for any woman who has ever battled the scale, felt badly when looking at it, or had low self-esteem from their body issues (isn't that most women out there?!)...this is a fabulous book.
Cindy
Feb 22, 2012 Cindy rated it really liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
I wasn't exactly sure what I was going to get with this book, but I was most pleasantly surprised. Its a story of two women who meet on Oprah and then continue on with their lives, only to meet again down the road under very different circumstances. The women face challenges and struggles along the way and each changes and grows within their own lives.
Kara
Feb 14, 2013 Kara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club2
Great book for girls. Really shows the insecurities that girls have at any weight, even when they act like they don't care. Loved the 2 personalities, Kate Rockland did a great job giving them each their own voice. The ending was not my favorite, I almost feel like there was too much closure... if that's possible.
Allison Pfeifer
Feb 15, 2014 Allison Pfeifer rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! It was written about two bloggers with alternate chapter narrative. One a cheerful "fattie" who blogs on "fat and fabulous" and one a neurotic calorie counter who blogs for "skinny chick". Very cute and actually I teared up at the end! Fun read! Very chick-lit though.
Kerensa
May 06, 2012 Kerensa rated it it was ok
Shelves: on-kindle
I found myself to be skipping through Shoshana's part quite a bit. I just couldn't relate too much to her point of view, and I didn't like how her storyline played out. Otherwise, it was an okay book. If I could give 2.5 stars I would.
Jamie
Jan 21, 2012 Jamie rated it it was amazing
I loved loved loved this book, having been almost 300 lbs and all the way down to 130 I could totally relate to both girls. I would love too see what happens next...if Soshanna finds love.
Book Club Questions 1 9 Oct 12, 2011 08:47AM
  • Point, Click, Love
  • Southern Comforts
  • Siren's Treasure
  • Off the Menu
  • From Here to Maternity
  • Sins of the Mother
  • The Medusa Prophecy (Medusa Project #4)
  • To Tempt a Viking (Forbidden Vikings, #2)
  • Four of a Kind
  • Web of Darkness
  • Julia's Child
  • Not Ready for Mom Jeans
  • Blank Slate Kate (Toronto, #7)
  • Saving Ruth
  • J'adore New York
  • Burning Down the Spouse (Ex Trophy Wives #2)
  • Love is a Four-Legged Word
  • A Dance with Danger (Lovers and Rebels, #2; Tang Dynasty, #5)
Kate Rockland lives in NJ with her husband and two sons. She is a frequent contributor to the New York Times. She weighs 150 pounds. She is the author of "Falling Is Like This," and "150 Pounds." She is currently at work on a non-fiction book about motherhood, stay tuned! She appreciates all the readers on Goodreads who take the time to review her books, good or bad!
More about Kate Rockland...