150 Pounds: A Novel of Waists and Measures

150 Pounds: A Novel of Waists and Measures

3.25 of 5 stars 3.25  ·  rating details  ·  771 ratings  ·  165 reviews
A smartly-written novel of two womenstarting at opposite ends of the scale--andfinding compromise and friendshipin their journey towards 150 pounds
In the fast paced life of blogging, two women stand out: Alexis Allbright, of Skinny Chick, and Shoshana Weiner, who writes Fat and Fabulous. Both have over five million loyal readers. Both are hungry for success.But the simi
Published January 17th 2012 by Thomas Dunne Books

To ask other readers questions about 150 Pounds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 150 Pounds

Sweethearts by Sara ZarrBittersweet by Sarah OcklerFutures and Frosting by Tara SivecYes, Chef by Marcus SamuelssonScrambled Eggs at Midnight by Brad Barkley
Sweet and Sour
6th out of 29 books — 6 voters
The Cupcake Queen by Heather HeplerIt's Raining Cupcakes by Lisa SchroederSprinkle with Murder by Jenn McKinlayIf You Give a Cat a Cupcake by Laura Joffe NumeroffButtercream Bump Off by Jenn McKinlay
Cupcakes on the Cover!
43rd out of 120 books — 91 voters

More lists with this book...

Jean
I like the idea; wish I could like the book. Where was the editor? Ideas were raised and then dropped, never to be seen again. The book contained several internal contradictions, often within the same paragraph. (One example: We are told that if Alexis finds a leopard print or soft pink feather in her closet, she can't tell if it's hers or her roommate's. On the very next page, though, we are told that Alexis never wears anything at all feminine. So, clearly, the pink feather and the leopard pri...more
Tammy
As soon as I became aware of the premise for this book, I saw red flags. I should have paid attention to them. Two bloggers - one a fat activist of sorts and one a judgmental self-proclaimed skinny chick - meet on Oprah as enemies, live their separate lives, learn their separate lessons, and come to the same conclusion. It was very much a Goldilocks story - in the beginning, Shoshana is toooooo fat; Alexis is toooooo skinny - but in the end, they're both juuuuuust right. (face - palm)

Everything...more
Sandra
Feb 27, 2012 Sandra rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
I don't even know where to start. Firstly, the writing in this was terrible. Different viewpoints all over the place. Also, both Alexis and Shoshana could see through walls and curtains. For example, Alexis was at the ER and closes the curtain around her, but somehow sees the couple across the hallway--behind their own curtain. Ugh. Someone needs to fire their editor.

And the last four books I've read have had the proverbial gay best friend. Is this the must-have accessory for 2012? If I don't wr...more
Andrea
I wish there was a choice other than "read, to read, and currently reading". Something like "couldn't make it through" would work for me.

Did someone edit this book? Is there a reason that on page 22 Shoshana's father's name was Bill, and then on page 26, his name was Bob?

Pg 22: "She had been in the middle of baking a cherry pie and had flour on her hands and an apron which scattered like confetti as she ran toward her husband and daughter "Oh Bill!" she'd screamed."

Pg 26: "Bob used to tease her...more
Laura Pepper
I was lucky enough to read an advance review copy of 150 pounds. I love a book that comes full circle and this one certainly did - it is an incredibly satisfying read with delightful characters that are very well fleshed out and entertaining. The topic is a sensitive one, but Kate handles it gracefully with some wry wit thrown in for good measure.
One of the things I liked most was that it includes blog post entries by the two main characters to keep the story moving forward. This is a very clev...more
Kate Rockland
Dec 08, 2011 Kate Rockland rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
"A fun read from a fresh new voice" -JANE GREEN

"This novel is charming" -Booklist

"Rockland does an excellent job of subverting chick lit tropes"-Publisher's Weekly

Skinny chicks, chubby gals and all in between will connect to this perennially favorite female subject: how much a body should weigh-Kirkus Review

"Ms. Rockland handles an emotional topic sensitively yet head-on. The result is that the reader is left with an inner confidence and somehow more sure of living in their own skin. Every woman...more
Anjana
[image error]

150 Pounds touched a personal issue for me. I may not have been affected by my weight but I do know what it's like to look at magazines and movie stars and wish I looked like them, I know all about insecurities. I was that girl. Kate Rockland has approached delicate, controversial and highly important topics - Weight, Appearance, Self-Image and Confidence - and handled them with tact and class.

150 Pounds is the story of two highly successful bloggers - Alexis Allbright of Skinny C...more
Kimberly
This book was about Alexis and Shoshana--two women with major preoccupations with weight.

The stereotypes in this book are many. Alexis is the "skinny bitch," who counts calories with a vengeance, turns up her nose at food and those who enjoy it, and whose only friend is her gay roommate. Shoshana is "fat and fun," has dozens of friends, and enjoys having her nails done (this is a stereotype, trust me). Both come from families with money but live the poor life (convenient), both have suffered a t...more
Andrea Guy
This is an absolutely fantastic book that every woman should read. I mean it! Every woman should pick up this book. It is woman's fiction at its finest and funniest. But most of all it is a book that most women can relate too.

Raise your hand if you've had some kind of weight or body image issue?

I bet there are a lot of hands in the air. Mine's up.

This book shows the world from one super skinny woman and one not so skinny woman.

Here's why the book is so great.

1. You get to see two women on a jour...more
Elle
Synopsis: Two semi-successful weight/lifestyle bloggers (Shoshana and Alexis) at opposite ends of the weight spectrum (size 16 and 0, respectively) meet on Oprah for a weight debate, then go off to live their separate lives. Along the way they learn some life lessons (boring ones) and ultimately come to meet in the middle (in both actual weight and life).

I really wanted to like this. Really. The title, the blurb -- it all called to me, begging for a read. But this is poorly written. It's trite,...more
Colleen
In 150 Pounds, two successful bloggers on opposite ends of the scale face off. Alexis Allbright blogs at "Skinny Chick" and lives by a strict regimen of healthy food and workouts while Shoshana Weiner blogs at "Fat and Fabulous" where she encourages women to be happy at any size. They each personify what the other hates and there seems to be no common ground between them. As they each face major life changes, the beliefs to which they have clung do desperately are challenged and their eyes are o...more
Jocelyn
The journey of self-acceptance and comfort in your own skin is a life long one for many. Weight plays a key role in this journey and it can sometimes make the road ahead of you seem long, winding and filled with potholes. No matter how fit, confident and put together a woman appears, everyone has insecurities. Kate Rockland does something extraordinary with her novel 150 Pounds, she realistically gives readers hope. Hope that they can make their journey easier and more enjoyable by accepting the...more
Stacy
When I picked up this book I was expecting a fun, but very predictable read. Fortunately, this one had a few unexpected surprising elements that were smart and utterly charming.

The book is written in third person, with alternating perspectives from Shoshana and Alexis. Rockland did a great job giving each girl an engaging storyline. It’s funny, I would get so engrossed reading one girls section and then moan when it changed, but yet would groan again when perspectives changed again.

Shoshana and...more
Katherine Coble
Feb 13, 2012 Katherine Coble rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of Jenny Colgan, Jane Green, Jennifer Weiner
I struggled with my opinion on this book and with what kind of review to give it.

As chick lit goes, this is a very good example of the types of books I've previously enjoyed in that category. It reminded me very much of early Jennifer Weiner (the heroine's name I took to be an homage of sorts to her), Jane Green (who blurbed the book) and Jenny Colgan. It has that sort of We Is Kwirky Girlz vibe that makes for a good experience. You read Chick Lit to hang out with the girls, and so the type of...more
Victoria
One thing's for sure -- this ain't your Mama's chick lit. The cupcakes on the cover may scream a frothy, lacking-in-substance storyline, but this novel is anything but.

Let's face it; the struggle with one's weight is universal. Especially for women, especially in this day and age. What makes this book so immediate and so gosh darn readable is that it attacks the weight issue from both sides of the scale. Alexis represents those in the lightweight division and Shoshana represents those in the hea...more
Felicia
Read for Fun!
Challenges: Read for Fun, Read-a-Thon
Overall Rating 4.25
Story Rating 4.00
Character Rating 4.50

First Thought when finished: I am so glad I picked up this book!

What a fun read! This book is for anyone that has ever dieted, worried about weight, judged people walking down the street, or thought horrid thoughts about themselves. There will be someone in this book that you identify with and go "a-ha"! Seriously, I laughed, cried, and cringed right along with the characters. In the end, I...more
Katie
This novel was so easy to devour!

As any woman can identify with either or both characters, this novel touched on so many of the social dynamics that our country is currently struggling with.

1) Social media playing with our young girls' self-confidence and body image.
2) Keeping your diet to what works best with your body and excercise moderate to benefit your body. As the two main characters grasped in their journies how to come from their extremes and meet their goals in the middle.
Heather
Ah – weight, the tie that binds us all, women at least. This is the story of two bloggers – one who is very thin and the other who is not. It begins with their appearance on Oprah. During the course of the book things happen that are out of their control and their weight changes. This is a new author to me. She writes fresh, modern and uses references I can really relate to. I really enjoyed this book. The characters spoke to me about their needs and wants. This will be an author to watch.
Charlotte

150 Pounds is an absolute must read for any woman who has struggled with body image. The cover may look fluffy and this book may be a Chick Lit novel, but the message is an important one that many of us tend to forget. It may sound a bit cliche, but it is so very true, it doesn't matter how much weight you gain or lose, all that matters is who you are on the inside.
Marie Dafgard
Anyone who says that there are inconsistencies within this book didn't do a very good job reading it. That said, I thought this was an excellent read. Not the greatest written work in the world by any means, but for any woman who has ever battled the scale, felt badly when looking at it, or had low self-esteem from their body issues (isn't that most women out there?!)...this is a fabulous book.
Gail
Unreal. This book was amazing. I picked it up last night and finished it this afternoon. I really could not wait to see what happened to Alexis and to Shoshana. This is already on my "read it again when you're feeling bad" shelf. Both girls can provide such positive insight (by the end of the book) to anyone who isn't completely at peace with their body. Just amazing. Loved this book.
Cindy
I wasn't exactly sure what I was going to get with this book, but I was most pleasantly surprised. Its a story of two women who meet on Oprah and then continue on with their lives, only to meet again down the road under very different circumstances. The women face challenges and struggles along the way and each changes and grows within their own lives.
Elizabeth
Shoshana (215 pounds) and Alexis (100 pounds) both write popular blogs related to women and their weight. Shoshana's Fat and Fabulous preaches "health at any size," while Alexis' Skinny Chick lauds obesity as a national tragedy, and disgusting to boot. After the women meet (and loathe) each other on Oprah, they each experience changes in their lives that lead them both to weigh 150.

I appreciate what this author is trying to do, and there are small glimpses of interesting character development a...more
Kara
Great book for girls. Really shows the insecurities that girls have at any weight, even when they act like they don't care. Loved the 2 personalities, Kate Rockland did a great job giving them each their own voice. The ending was not my favorite, I almost feel like there was too much closure... if that's possible.
Allison Pfeifer
I loved this book! It was written about two bloggers with alternate chapter narrative. One a cheerful "fattie" who blogs on "fat and fabulous" and one a neurotic calorie counter who blogs for "skinny chick". Very cute and actually I teared up at the end! Fun read! Very chick-lit though.
Jamie
I loved loved loved this book, having been almost 300 lbs and all the way down to 130 I could totally relate to both girls. I would love too see what happens next...if Soshanna finds love.
Ellen
After a slow start, I really enjoyed this book. Loved the two main characters, Shoshana and Alexis, and their stories. Recommebded for anyone who ever faced a weight problem.
Sadie
I wouldn't suggest this book to anyone. I read it because it explores the two extremes of the dieting world. On one end we have the over obsessive and vain woman who counts her calories and thinks of nothing but the weight on the scale and her pant size. Then we have the food loving, "lazy", ignorant woman who preaches that they shouldn't have to care what they weigh and that other people should just accept the fact that they are destroying their bodies and love how they look. Even though I thou...more
Jessica Lawlor
Loved the premise of this book. Weight is not the end all and be all and doesn't measure true happiness. Something good to remember.
Book Club Questions 1 8 Oct 12, 2011 08:47AM
  • Point, Click, Love
  • Off the Menu
  • Holly's Inbox : Scandal in the City (Holly's Inbox #2)
  • Blank Slate Kate (Toronto, #7)
  • Four of a Kind
  • The Good Luck Girls of Shipwreck Lane
  • The Icing on the Cupcake
  • Lessons in Laughing Out Loud
  • Georgia's Kitchen
Kate Rockland lives in NJ with her husband and two sons. She is a frequent contributor to the New York Times. She weighs 150 pounds. She is the author of "Falling Is Like This," and "150 Pounds." She is currently at work on a non-fiction book about motherhood, stay tuned! She appreciates all the readers on Goodreads who take the time to review her books, good or bad!
More about Kate Rockland...
Falling Is Like This