Start by marking “The Thunder Tree: Lessons from an Urban Wildland” as Want to Read:
The Thunder Tree: Lessons from an Urban Wildland

The Thunder Tree: Lessons from an Urban Wildland

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  32 ratings  ·  8 reviews
When people connect with nature, they do so in a specific place, and "The Thunder Tree" shows how that connection can change a life forever, how roots in the earth can be as important as roots in a family. For Robert Pyle, that place was the Highline Canal in Denver, Colorado. When he first discovered it as a boy in the 1950s, the canal was largely a wasteland, but it beca ...more
Published October 1st 1998 by The Lyons Press (first published April 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Thunder Tree, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Thunder Tree

Tomatoland by Barry EstabrookThe Botany of Desire by Michael PollanThe World According to Monsanto by Marie-Monique RobinThe Death and Life of Great American Cities by Jane JacobsDesign With Nature by Ian L. McHarg
Urban EE Collective Library
73rd out of 125 books — 14 voters
A Sand County Almanac with Other Essays on Conservation from ... by Aldo LeopoldWalden by Henry David ThoreauA Walk in the Woods by Bill BrysonPilgrim at Tinker Creek by Annie DillardSilent Spring by Rachel Carson
Best Nature Books
137th out of 372 books — 265 voters

More lists with this book...

Sandy D.
This is a hard book to summarize. I think the different chapters work better as free-standing essays. Some of them waxed so eloquent I was in tears, and others I had to struggle to finish because I got mired in the plants, ecological relationships, and butterfly species Pyle describes. If you have an interest in Denver and its history or water use in the west, you’ll also like this, but I imagine that isn’t a huge group of readers.

It is an autobiographical work that combines personal stories abo
A friend and I recently had a conversation about whether or not Bob Pyle is the most important nature writer working in America today. Our conclusion was that if he's not, he's definitely one of the most important because his work breaks down the dangerous distinction between natural and non-natural by looking at wildness in urban settings. This book, which focuses around the High Line Canal in Denver, shows how much nature can be found in a supposedly non-natural urban setting.
Jun 29, 2008 Jennifer rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jennifer by: Rick Darke's Reading List
Shelves: half-read
I was surprised to find this book is written about a the High Line Canal in Denver, Colorado. Written in the introduction it is a "love song to damaged lands, serenade for all such places."

While nicely written, switching back and forth from personal anecdotes to information on issues about canals, dams and water rights, I wasn't able to stay with this book until the end. Perhaps, it is not the right time.

Bluff Lake
Too often we jump in the car when we want to experience nature. In The Thundertree, Robert Pyle's powerful memoir about growing up near Denver's High Line Canal, he reminds us that nature is right outside our door, just waiting to be discovered. As we read how he bonded with the land, we are inspired to preserve open spaces so that all children will have the chance to discover them. Highly recommended.
Cameo
Absolutely fantastic. Advised to anyone who ever knew nature (and hopefully that is everyone.) I had a chance to meet Robert Pyle at a speaking, and he is a genuine and wonderful person. This is clear throughout the entirety of the book- he is very open and honest with his readers, and his book is beautifully crafted.
Roman
Looking back on his childhood the author describes how his childhood haunts were degraded due to habitat loss. Coupled with an often poignant personal narrative I found the author's account echoed my childhood in many ways.
Debra
Jul 12, 2012 Debra marked it as books-i-didn-t-finish
Shelves: science
Right now it looks like I decided not to finish this book, given the huge amount of time since I started it. Not so - we moved in the interim and book is still lost in packing box hell.
Judy
A good read - reminiscing about Pyle's life in Colorado along a canal where he learned to love the natural world around him.
Kellaura
Kellaura is currently reading it
Jan 26, 2015
Danielle Salis
Danielle Salis marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Aileen
Aileen marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2015
Dania Laubach
Dania Laubach marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Mallory
Mallory marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
Anaswara Jose
Anaswara Jose marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
Aubrey
Aubrey marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
Amanda Walker
Amanda Walker marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Debrarian
Debrarian marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
J
J marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Anandi
Anandi marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Clark
Clark marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
Birdfox
Birdfox marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
Emily Smith
Emily Smith marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Rose
Rose marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2014
Olivia
Olivia marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2014
Leah
Leah marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Robert Michael Pyle is a lepidopterist and a professional writer who has published twelve books and hundreds of papers, essays, stories and poems. He has a Ph.D. from the School of Forestry and Environmental Studies at Yale University. He founded the Xerces Society for Invertebrate Conservation in 1974. His acclaimed 1987 book Wintergreen describing the devastation caused by unrestrained logging i ...more
More about Robert Michael Pyle...
National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Butterflies Where Bigfoot Walks: Crossing the Dark Divide Sky Time in Gray's River: Living for Keeps in a Forgotten Place Wintergreen: Rambles in a Ravaged Land Mariposa Road: The First Butterfly Big Year