Start by marking “How to Write a Children's Book and Get It Published” as Want to Read:
How to Write a Children's Book and Get It Published

How to Write a Children's Book and Get It Published

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  82 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Your one-stop guide to writing and selling books for children
Get the tools you need to:
* Develop story ideas that work
* Strengthen your writing skills
* Improve your work habits
* Write for different age groups
* Look at your work critically
* Submit proposals and manuscripts
* Find the right publisher for your work
* Understand and negotiate contracts
* Work with agents and ed
Published January 6th 2011 by John Wiley & Sons (first published March 1st 1984)

Be the first to ask a question about How to Write a Children's Book and Get It Published

Catherine Johnson
I have just read the third edition of this book and it is a very valuable resource. I highly recommend it.
Rebecca
This slim and business-slick book was interesting. It had a bit of a write-by-numbers feel, like a glossy beach magazine, and it wasn't artistically inspiring like the how-to write books by --you know-- real writers. Oh, Seuling is published, and I hope someday to have a nice long list of credits like she has, but she ain't Jane Yolen. As polished as it was, it certainly spurred me on to actually sending a manuscript out (in the mail, folks!) My favorite bits were the odd outdated leftovers from ...more
Holly
This was a truly practical book with plenty of activities to get you thinking about the business end of publishing a book as well as the creative process. I had checked this book out from the library, but am considering purchasing it to complete the chapter suggestions at my own pace.
Erin Nudi
Admittedly, some parts of this book are outdated, but the majority of it is still extremely pertinent and helpful information.

Seuling goes into different types of children's books, what pictures work for better age groups, what age groups are into different types of topics over others, how to work with or without an illustrator, how to connect with other writers and writing groups, how things look on the publisher and editor's end, etc. etc.

Also, I really liked how she emphasized that children's
Xander
I felt that though there were some helpful tips in the book, it definitely talked down to the reader and was certainly far from encouraging. If she's writing books for children, I hope that those books are slightly more encouraging and uplifting. This book seems to be her way of discouraging others from writing so that she might do better herself. Just how I felt when I was reading it. I'll still use it for a reference, but I certainly think it is far from the be all end all reference guide to c ...more
Sharon
I'm not really writing a book, but I have lots of ideas that I think are pretty original, but I am terrible at expressing my thoughts in words. I saw this at the library and thought I would give it a try. Mostly so far, it is all common sense and I am wondering what books this lady has ever written that has made her an expert.
Ellen Ramsey
An excellent book for covering a range of topics about children's books. The book includes hints to carry a writer from idea to book submission and publication. I read it a while ago and still refer to it often, which is a good recommendation for a how-to book.
Rebecca
It's basic, so it's good for someone just thinking about writing, but it's also outdated...sometimes in a very obvious painful way.

For me, it wasn't the best book. I found more useful, relevant information through various children's writing websites.
The title is exactly what this book delivers. This, its latest edition, was written in 1991. I think some of the content gets a mulligan for that, but as a whole it was worthy of many a note taken by yours truly.
Heidi
This book was so helpful and informative. Even though the copy I read was several years old, she still had so much up-to-date info technologically speaking. There are a lot of helpful resource lists as well.
Kelly
I got the third edition for my birthday and devoured it in less than 24 hours. I'll definitely hang onto this one as a reference for many years to come...at least until there's an even newer edition!
Sara
Here my hopes were, not quite sky-high for writing a children's book, because I thought it would be easier than a dragging adult book, but NOOOO!
Margaret Ann Brown
This book is invaluable, not only in publishing your children's books, but any book!
Mary
I use as a reference book.
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
Bethany Wu
Bethany Wu marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
Kristen
Kristen marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Lee
Lee marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
Abby
Abby is currently reading it
Nov 08, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2014
Elizabeth Uva
Elizabeth Uva marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014
Vhal Ballesteros
Vhal Ballesteros marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Jennifer Dawson
Jennifer Dawson marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Winter Lullaby The Teeny Tiny Woman: An Old English Ghost Tale (Picture Puffin) Spring Song Whose House? Oh No, It's Robert