Start by marking “Big Little Brother” as Want to Read:
Big Little Brother

Big Little Brother

3.67  ·  Rating Details  ·  172 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
Being an older brother has its benefits, of that there’s little doubt. But how would you feel if your little brother grew to be bigger than you? And what if he insisted on touching all your things and following you everywhere you went? It’s enough to frustrate the most even-keeled of kids.

The narrator of Big Little Brother wants nothing more than to escape his brother’s st
Published November 1st 2011 by Borealis Books

To ask other readers questions about Big Little Brother, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Big Little Brother

Samantha Howard
The story is about a young boy who has a younger brother. At first he is excited, but when the younger brother keeps growing and becomes bigger than him, he gets upset. However, when the big little brother helps him with a bully during playtime, he grows to love his big little brother.

This is a good picture book for beginning readers because it integrates simple text with large, colorful pictures to help comprehension. The author writes using many sight words and the sentence structure is predi
Lindsey
Not as good as Big Little Brother
Jeanna
Jan 23, 2012 Jeanna rated it liked it
Shelves: pic-books
The two best parts about this book:

How the little brother always holds a donut all day long. So gross and yet so true to little babies. Just carrying things around for hours with a death grip.

The little monster finger puppet drawn on the ground amidst all the other toys. Those things are everywhere. I had them growing up, my kids have them now, they're in picture books! They're awesome.
Anna Frame
Feb 23, 2015 Anna Frame rated it really liked it
Personal Reaction- I like this book because it shows students that age and size are not always correlated. The story is relatable and engaging to students and I think it is one children will enjoy.

Purposes:
Read aloud to Kindergarten and 1st grade students for several potential purposes:
-enjoyment and enrichment of the story itself. The little brother stands up for his older brother, even though he is younger
-the illustrations are bright and busy, keeping the students engaged with what is happeni
Gabrielle Blockton
Date: June 22, 2015

Author/Illustrator: Kevin Kling/Chris Monroe

Title: Big Little Mother

Plot: This book focuses on the relationship between a little brother and his big sister and their many adventures including, cleaning, dress-up and gazing at the stars.

Settings: Little brother and big sister's house

Characters: Little brother, Big sister, Kittywumpus (Big sister's cat)

Point-Of-View: First-Person

Theme: Sibling relationships; teaching

Style: Children's Picture-Book, (Funny book)

Copyright: 2013

Not
Bea
Nov 23, 2013 Bea rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Odd
Jess
Feb 29, 2012 Jess rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
There are sweet, lovely, calming picture books...and then there are odd, quirky, bizarre ones. This one is definitely quirky, but also strangely sweet at the end. The pictures convey a lot of the humor here (speaking of quirky, it's the same illustrator, Chris Monroe, as the Monkey with a Tool Belt books), but the text also cracked me up.

The narrator is a small but articulate kid who's been outsized by his toddler brother. People are constantly assuming that the toddler is the older brother, bu
Roshini Jeevan
Apr 29, 2014 Roshini Jeevan rated it really liked it
This was a pretty cute book. I am an older sister and I would be pretty upset if my sister was taller than me during our childhood. Actually, I would probably still be upset if she was taller than me now. Being older, one expects to be bigger and taller and stronger and when it's the other way around in this book, things may seem frustrating. This book depicts all the little annoying things little brothers do and how sometimes older siblings can feel undermined by their siblings.
Big Little Mother almost feels like a memoir, the fuzzy memories of a younger brother now grown up. The older sister has a cat, Kittywumpus, who runs away. While she waits for Kittywumpus to return, she turns her amusements to her brother, cutting his hair, naming new star families, and planting seeds together. When the brother shows off his skills at his sister's dance class, the teacher is impressed, praising the sister for her skill as a teacher and inviting the brother to join the class once ...more
Judy
This book passes on a reassuring message to siblings struggling with younger ones invading their world (in this case it is a younger sibling who is bigger than the older one. The indignity!) and does it in an original way, and with entertaining, expressive illustrations. Very good.
RH Walters
Sep 14, 2015 RH Walters rated it it was amazing
Minnesota talent powerhouses Chris Monroe and Kevin Kling make beautiful moving stories about childhood that my kid and I automatically adore. It can be easy to overlook the symbiosis of writer and illustrator, but this combination has special magic.
Alexandria Hiam
While her cat is missing, big sister spends lots of time with her little brother. She teaches him how to dance. In dance class, he demonstrates what a good teacher his big sister is for her sister and garners praise for them both.
A
Green Bean
Apr 08, 2012 Green Bean rated it it was amazing
A RIOT of a sibling rivalry book! Little Brother used to be an itty-bitty crybaby. Now he's bigger than Big Brother, but still does baby things, like toddle about in a diaper and tote the same doughnut around all day! Not to mention all the toy-touching. Pretty annoying. But when a bully steals big brother's plastic turkey at playschool, little brother comes to the rescue! His bigness scares the mean boy into skedaddling! By the end of the book Big and Little have come to an arrangement. They te ...more
Alyson
Sep 16, 2013 Alyson rated it it was amazing
One thing we love about this book is the old toys featured in the line-drawing illustrations. By old, I mean toys from my own '70-s childhood: tinker toys, trolls, Fisher Price parking garage and people, etc.. In this first-person story, one brother's annoying toddler brother, who at two years old has annoyingly grown bigger than his important self, was hilarious. The author and illustrator show well the annoyingness and self-importance, but also the overriding reasons for love and mutual apprec ...more
Lelandic
Nov 06, 2014 Lelandic rated it it was amazing
Great fun, odd at the first read but another favorite for us. Doubly fun around Thanksgiving with the cooking of a plastic turkey.
Casandria
Oct 22, 2015 Casandria rated it really liked it
Shelves: preschool, picture
Sometimes, younger siblings get their growth spurt before you do. A funny book
Fawn Dwyer
May 27, 2015 Fawn Dwyer rated it it was amazing
i loved this book, it was my kids favorite. I even read it to the class.
Becky Hunter
Jun 25, 2015 Becky Hunter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading with Evan. I liked it more than him.
Christina Robbins
Jan 22, 2013 Christina Robbins rated it it was amazing
This book is great to read to a child who is expecting to have a little sibling. It shows the growth spurt of his little brother and how he grew bigger than he was. I liked that fact that the book has a little sense of humor especially when the bother turned off and on the light and also how he went to the Old Woman in the Shoe. At the end of the story he changed his mind about having his little brother around and it definitely benefited him at the end.
Shelli
Aug 22, 2014 Shelli rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I think the author was trying to tell a story of a little boy who at times is jealous of his sister’s cat, which his sister spends most of her time with. However, the flow of the story just wandered too much to really say for sure what the point was. My favorite part was when the cat decided to “let herself go” to avoid further beautification; hysterical. The illustrations were great, the story just needed some editing.
Linda
Apr 30, 2012 Linda rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Life can be difficult when your younger brother is bigger than you are. But there are other, protective, benefits. This is an engaging, sweet story of two brothers—and how “big” brother deals with his bigger “little” brother. Kevin Kling is one of my favorite storytellers and this picture book is wonderful. It will appeal to “big” people (grownups) as well as children.
Heidi
Ha ha! I enjoyed the laughs from this book. I definitely know what it is to have a big little brother. And I wouldn't mind pulling him in to help me. I just think the fact that he's 2 is hilarious. Loved this. Not sure how well preschool kids would pick up. But a defintie choice for school-age and a lap-read or read-alone.
Marti
Dec 28, 2012 Marti rated it it was amazing
This book is awesome! Definitely in my top five favorite children's books. Everyone will love it, but those who have a family where the younger siblings are close in size or bigger than an older sibling will just laugh out loud! And it was so tender it made me tear up too. It's a winner! :)
Joanna
Feb 18, 2014 Joanna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book, 2013
I adore the author/illustrator combo of Kevin Kling and Chris Monroe. This isn't quite as good as Big Little Brother, but we enjoyed it very much in our house. It's quirky and not overly sentimental. Just terrific. Also, I love the older "sibling" cat. Hilarious.
Colleen
Jan 17, 2014 Colleen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, prek-2
It wasn't actually amazing but I really really liked it. It's sweet - it shows how a big sister first learns to take care of her cat, then her little brother and that she does a really good job. In doing so she also learns to appreciate her brother more.
The Styling Librarian
Nov 09, 2013 The Styling Librarian rated it really liked it
Special little book about an older brother who is frustrated that his little brother has grown bigger than he is and is fed up by people thinking he is the younger brother. I loved how the older brother learns how to appreciate the brother.
Jen
Dec 26, 2013 Jen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pb, siblings
eh. I thought this was a weird book, with a good result I suppose. Glad the cat's name was Kittywumpus, just for that, I almost bought it for a girl who calls her cat the same thing. While it is a very silly book, the ending just sort of happens.
Star
Jan 26, 2012 Star rated it it was amazing
I love this book. I have a 4 year old grandson who has a two year old brother who is almost as big as he is so this book hit home. I like the positive message that kids support each other and siblings can be great friends.
Shelli
Feb 24, 2012 Shelli rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Sometimes baby brothers are a bit of a disappointment. Such high expectations those older siblings often have only for the new addition to the family fall short. Or in this "little" brothers case, not so short.
  • Another Brother
  • Neville
  • A Bus Called Heaven
  • Marshall Armstrong is New to Our School
  • Oliver
Kevin Kling is a well-known playwright and storyteller, and his commentaries can be heard on NPR’s All Things Considered. His plays and adaptations have been performed around the world. He lives in Minneapolis.

From the author's website.
More about Kevin Kling...