When Parents Text: So Much Said...So Little Understood

When Parents Text: So Much Said...So Little Understood

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  1,033 ratings  ·  237 reviews
A collection of insanely funny texts between parents and kids, "When Parents Text" is a surprisingly affecting window into the complicated time when parents aren't ready to let go, and kids aren't ready to "be "let go. The parents are well-meaning but hopeless, silly and a little corny, and befuddled by the technology. The kids are bewildered yet patient: the perfect strai...more
Published September 1st 2011 by Workman Publishing Company

Toni
Всички знаем, че когато става дума за родители и смс-и, най-вероятно ви се е случвало поне едно от изброените:
1) НЕ ВИКАМ, ПРОСТО ТАКА СЕ ЧЕТЕ ПО-ЛЕСНО
2) не знам как, но промених езика си на испански – можеш ли да ми го оправиш?
3) 1 new message: dj@#1 #)*&r?
4) 1 new message: (empty)
5) десет еднакви съобщения тип –донеси ми нещо-си като идваш или обади ми се
6) случайни мъдрости и странни съвети
Е, книгата изобилства от такива забавни примери, както и много, много други, така че защо да не с...more
Arminzerella
Lauren and Sophia both graduated from college and then moved back home when the world didn’t exactly welcome them with open arms and instant success. While they were at home, adjusting to their new relationships with their parents, they got the idea for “When Parents Text,” which started out as a website, where they (and eventually others) shared some of the funny things their parents texted them. The website is still going strong, so if you want to preview some of the content before reading/bor...more
Dimity
I normally don’t buy a lot of novelty type books like this but I love to get them as presents and was thrilled to win a copy from the Goodreads First Reads program. I had never heard of the blog that spawned this collection of humorous texts from parents and grandparents, but it is in the same genre of other humor blogs out there today with short reader submitted entries (think Shit My Kids Ruined, Lamebook, White Whine, that one about auto corrections everyone but me seems to love, etc.). The m...more
Diane
If you have kids, chances are you have texted them. My kids got cell phones when they were in high school, and it became so easy to stay in touch with them via text. They didn't have to interrupt what they were doing or act like their parents mattered to them in front of their friends.

Two twenty-something women, Lauren Kaelin and Sophia Fraioli, started talking about the goofy (dorky?) text messages their parents would send them, and so they started a website- When Parents Text. They encouraged...more
Amber
As I was reading this book I laughed so loudly and so often that people were staring. The last time that happened, I was reading "Sh*t My dad Said" I loved it! If you are looking for a healthy dose of laughter, this might be right up your alley. Brought to you by the authors of the site whenparentstext.com. The best part is not all of the texts make the parents out to be bumbling idiots. A fun, quick read.

Some faves:

Bow Tie Man :)8

ME: There's no bacon in the dining hall.
DAD: Burn the place do...more
Steph
This was awesome. No, I did not belly laugh on EVERY page, but I sure did chuckle. And the texts from the dads were the best, like the dad who insists on signing "Dad" after every text he sends.

I think I mostly liked it because I've had a good percentage of these text convos with my parents at some point, so I just super related to it. The grandparent section, however? No. My grandparents can hardly work their television much less text on a cell phone... (but they are adorable, just for the rec...more
D.G.
After this book gave me a HUGE Harry Potter spoiler without any warning, I'm definitely not in the mood to continue reading it so I'm dnfing it and giving it a one star rating.

As I didn't think that I should give my money to "authors" who are this callous, I contacted Amazon for a refund and they were kind enough to give me one, even though the time frame for refunds had already passed.

Thanks to Amazon and good riddance to this book (and I'll be never stop on that website if they have a habit o...more
Joanne
A funny book with actuals text from parents sent to their kids. Written by two recently college graduated young women who started collecting crazy texts from their parents and then decided to create a web site. Several of the entries had me laughing out loud. The best part is not all of the texts make the parents out to be bumbling idiots. A fun, quick read.
Pr Latta
It's always sobering when you find yourself a cliche - but I kept following my kids asking, "did I ever say this to you?" Culled from their website, this hilarious book illuminates the generation gap in all too real a manner. As Pogo said, "We have met the enemy and he is Us." Laughed until I cried.
Lindsey
I found this book funny and heart warming at the same time .
Cheryl
I had this library book sitting around the house when I had house guests. They were cracking up. It was really fun to read aloud and the texts were clean, so that was good, I guess. I think it would make a good Christmas gift.
Michelle Gurr
I won a copy from the Goodreads giveaways. It came today in the mail, perfect timing because I REALLY needed a good laugh. I read it in between chores and errands today. Absolutely hysterical!
Lisa
Silly fun. Inspired me to send a retarded text to my son... well, actually several retarded texts. And then a few IMs for good measure. Just in case he was starting to think I was "cool."
Beth
Some of these made me laugh until I cried. How we communicate - or don't - across generational and technological lines.
Kristen
Any book that can make me laugh out loud on the bus and look like a complete idiot gets at least 4 stars in my rating system.
Kimberly Kane
I loved it, I laughed so hard I woke Chuck up. Hysterical.
Jill
I bought this book Saturday as Amazon's Kindle Deal of the Day. I read through it in a sitting or two. I've never gone to the website but might consider it after this book. Every few pages there was an exchange or a text that made me laugh out loud. Along with some of the ones listed in the description above there were a few others that really struck me funny at that moment. For example: "MOM: Eww, this girl just had camel hoof! ME: Camel.....toe?" and "DAD: What does "unread" mean on my message...more
Sarai
This is a cute book comprised of texts between parents and their children. The authors also have a website, www.whenparentstext.com. Lots of laughable moments. Fun read.

Book Description
Publication Date: September 1, 2011
A collection of insanely funny texts between parents and kids, When Parents Text is a surprisingly affecting window into the complicated time when parents aren’t ready to let go, and kids aren’t ready to be let go. The parents are well-meaning but hopeless, silly and a little cor...more
Megan
Some pretty funny stuff - it made me "LOL" several times. It was especially refreshing since I was working so many overtime hours at a conference this week and really needed some mental breaks to just relax a bit. I hadn't heard of the website www.whenparentstext.com before reading this, but I'll definitely start checking it periodically when I want a laugh. It sounds like it's similar to www.autocorrectfail.org, www.lamebook.com, etc. It's definitely an interesting and pertinent topic for today...more
Cheryl
When Parents Text is a funny compilation of text messages from parents to their children and there are some from grandparents. Some of the texts are hilarious like for example:

Subject: Referral
Mom: I just picked up a reefer. All there. Is lots of traffic. Call the doctor to see if you can reschedule for another day.

Subject: Hardin House
Dad: I’m going to drop off your dorm application, It’s hamburger house right?
Dad: Hamburger
Dad: Hamburger
Dad: I don’t know how this phone gets “hamburger” from...more
Maria
What I Can Tell You:
This was the perfect book for me this past month. It was perfect because my life was split in a million different directions and most of them involved something to do with work of some kind. I was either running my company, working for 1 of my 4 clients, running a community web page and Facebook page, writing, editing, tweeting, Facebooking, cleaning, shopping, cooking, parenting, etc. If I wasn't doing one of these things, I was taking the kids to the beach or sleeping. So...more
Mandy
Just as I am, my parents are sometimes late to catch on to the newest fads and technologies. I’m not sure if it’s that they’re just stubbornly resistant to adapt, or if they have a hard time understanding how life can be made better by these technologies.

When I went away to college, I convinced my parents to start using AOL Instant Messenger so we could stay in touch (does anyone still use that?) and the conversations where frequently amusing. My mom, who loves hand-writing letters would start...more
Amy
This book was hilarious! I can definitely see why this would appeal to reluctant readers. (It's listed on the quick picks for reluctant readers). The book is broken down into different sections (Birthdays, pets, occassions,etc.). Each section begins with a quick intro and contains text either by the authors's parents or text submitted to their website (www.whenparentstext.com). The texts are so funny and I think these texts are easy for teens to relate to. I know my own children make fun of me w...more
Barbara Ell
OMG! I received this as a Goodreads First Read book and to sum up the entire book....ROTFL!!

I am at that age where some of my friends are the parents...totally clueless on what they are writing or so excited that their fingers can talk. Some of my friends share with me their parent's texts and I would think that those people were supposedly intelligent.

This is a compilation of texts received at the website whenparentstext.com. This is actually a book for even the "parents" since they offer a glo...more
Peter Derk
This book was kind of a nice surprise. I pretty much expected to be along the lines of "Check out these dopey idiots who don't know what they're doing." And there's some of it. But honestly, the best parts and the majority of the book was made up of texts from parents that were clearly the result of hilarious parents that can be appreciated by everyone but their own children.

Some faves:

ME: There's no bacon in the dining hall.
DAD: Burn the place down.

ME: Guess what I'm wearing.
DAD: This is dad.
ME...more
Holly Cline
I won this through First Reads, and was really just delighted while reading through the book. I laughed out loud so many times that my roommate probably thought something was wrong with me. And they were BIG laughs.

I am one of the least tech savvy people in my age bracket (no facebook, smartphone or twitter for Holly!). I'm cool with it. But I really felt like I know people this book applies to. And what I love best is that the tone is never mean spirited. The parents come off cute and loving. T...more
Joy
I got this free (I think) or deal of the day from Amazon and have savored it in short bursts--doctor's office, waiting for shuttles and on short flights.

As a grandmother-who-texts, I laughed aloud or I totally didn't get it. I remember struggling with texting in the beginning and blush at the memory of some of the strange ways "spellcheck" changed what I intended.

I don't know if all the stories came from whenparentstext.com or if some were saved for the book, but it's a nice light-hearted change...more
Heather
A collection of amusing texts from a popular website (that I've never heard of). A few of them made me laugh out loud but most were just ok. It's a quick read, and probably worth it for the few that were really funny.
Ashley
Meh. I've never seen the "When Parents Text" website, but I stumbled upon this book when I posted my review for P.S. I Hate It Here and thought it would be funny. I chuckled a few times, but for the most part I didn't find it overly humourous.
NCPL Teenzone

Why I picked up the book: The title of course. I haven't been to their website but I definitely know how confusing texts can be. For the longest time my mother-in-law thought LOL was lots of love so I wondered why she was laughing at the weirdest stuff.

Why I finished it: fast & easy. See how many times you want to read it aloud or share it with t...more
  • People of Walmart: Shop and Awe
  • Damn You, Autocorrect!: Awesomely Embarrassing Text Messages You Didn't Mean to Send
  • Sh*t My Kids Ruined: An A-Z Celebration of Kid-Destruction
  • Texts From Last Night: All the Texts That No One Remembers Sending
  • I Lick My Cheese And Other Notes: From The Frontline Of Flatsharing
  • Regretsy: The World's Oddest, Most Ridiculous, and Most Disturbing Crafts
  • F in Exams: The Funniest Test Paper Blunders
  • Passive Aggressive Notes: Painfully Polite and Hilariously Hostile Writings
  • Wreck the Halls: Cake Wrecks Gets "Festive"
  • I Judge You When You Use Poor Grammar: A Collection of Egregious Errors, Disconcerting Bloopers, and Other Linguistic Slip-Ups
  • The Customer Is Not Always Right: Hilarious and Horrific Tales of Customers Gone Wrong
  • Awkward Family Photos
  • Signspotting: Absurd and Amusing Signs from Around the World
  • F My Life
  • P.S. I Hate It Here: Kids' Letters from Camp
  • Found II: More of the Best Lost, Tossed, and Forgotten Items from Around the World
  • Dog Shaming
  • The Book of "Unnecessary" Quotation Marks: A Celebration of Creative Punctuation