Start by marking “When Parents Text: So Much Said...So Little Understood” as Want to Read:
When Parents Text: So Much Said...So Little Understood

When Parents Text: So Much Said...So Little Understood

3.8  ·  Rating Details ·  2,161 Ratings  ·  297 Reviews
A collection of insanely funny texts between parents and kids, When Parents Text is a surprisingly affecting window into the complicated time when parents aren’t ready to let go, and kids aren’t ready to be let go. The parents are well-meaning but hopeless, silly and a little corny, and befuddled by the technology. The kids are bewildered yet patient: the perfect straight ...more
Published September 1st 2011 by Workman Publishing Company (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about When Parents Text, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Parents Text

TL
Apr 12, 2015 TL rated it liked it
Recommended to TL by: amazon rec
This wasn't a hugely funny one for me... there were some amusing texts here:

"Bloodwork"

Mom: I've been farting all day because I have to get bloodwork done tomorrow.

Me: Did you mean fasting??

Mom: Oops. I meant to hit the button four times."

---
"Hamburger House"

Dad: I'm going to drop off your dorm application, It's hamburger house right?

Dad: Hamburger

Dad: Hamburger

Dad: I don't know how this phone gets "hamburger" from H-a-r-d-i-n.

(one hour later)

Dad: don't get your hopes up. They said Hamburger ho
SoManyBooks SoLittleTime (Aven Shore)
Unexpectedly v. funny.
Toni
Feb 15, 2013 Toni rated it liked it
Shelves: humor, non-fiction
Всички знаем, че когато става дума за родители и смс-и, най-вероятно ви се е случвало поне едно от изброените:
1) НЕ ВИКАМ, ПРОСТО ТАКА СЕ ЧЕТЕ ПО-ЛЕСНО
2) не знам как, но промених езика си на испански – можеш ли да ми го оправиш?
3) 1 new message: dj@#1 #)*&r?
4) 1 new message: (empty)
5) десет еднакви съобщения тип –донеси ми нещо-си като идваш или обади ми се
6) случайни мъдрости и странни съвети
Е, книгата изобилства от такива забавни примери, както и много, много други, така че защо да не с
Arminzerella
Lauren and Sophia both graduated from college and then moved back home when the world didn’t exactly welcome them with open arms and instant success. While they were at home, adjusting to their new relationships with their parents, they got the idea for “When Parents Text,” which started out as a website, where they (and eventually others) shared some of the funny things their parents texted them. The website is still going strong, so if you want to preview some of the content before reading/bor ...more
Rossy
Oct 29, 2015 Rossy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: funny
I loved it! A really fun book, I chuckled with every page, laughed out SO loud at some.
Quick read, you won't be able to put it down, and you will definitely remember a situation when you received (or sent) a similar text!

I especially enjoyed the smiley faces interpretations, and most of the texts from Dads!
Diane
Sep 09, 2011 Diane rated it really liked it
If you have kids, chances are you have texted them. My kids got cell phones when they were in high school, and it became so easy to stay in touch with them via text. They didn't have to interrupt what they were doing or act like their parents mattered to them in front of their friends.

Two twenty-something women, Lauren Kaelin and Sophia Fraioli, started talking about the goofy (dorky?) text messages their parents would send them, and so they started a website- When Parents Text. They encouraged
Dimity
I normally don’t buy a lot of novelty type books like this but I love to get them as presents and was thrilled to win a copy from the Goodreads First Reads program. I had never heard of the blog that spawned this collection of humorous texts from parents and grandparents, but it is in the same genre of other humor blogs out there today with short reader submitted entries (think Shit My Kids Ruined, Lamebook, White Whine, that one about auto corrections everyone but me seems to love, etc.). The m ...more
Amber
Feb 25, 2012 Amber rated it it was amazing
As I was reading this book I laughed so loudly and so often that people were staring. The last time that happened, I was reading "Sh*t My dad Said" I loved it! If you are looking for a healthy dose of laughter, this might be right up your alley. Brought to you by the authors of the site whenparentstext.com. The best part is not all of the texts make the parents out to be bumbling idiots. A fun, quick read.

Some faves:

Bow Tie Man :)8

ME: There's no bacon in the dining hall.
DAD: Burn the place do
Kirsti
Oh, man. I really needed this after reading two harrowing memoirs. My sides hurt from laughing. I liked that not all of the texts were of the "my parents are clueless n00bs" variety--in many cases, the parents are better at technology than their kids.

Mom: You will add the dog as your facebook friend RIGHT NOW!
Me: mom he's a dog...
Mom: He is FAMILY, add him or you are grounded!!!!

ME: There's no bacon in the dining hall.
DAD: Burn the place down.

Dad: I'm not sure but I think that I accidentally d
Steph
Apr 13, 2013 Steph rated it really liked it
This was awesome. No, I did not belly laugh on EVERY page, but I sure did chuckle. And the texts from the dads were the best, like the dad who insists on signing "Dad" after every text he sends.

I think I mostly liked it because I've had a good percentage of these text convos with my parents at some point, so I just super related to it. The grandparent section, however? No. My grandparents can hardly work their television much less text on a cell phone... (but they are adorable, just for the rec
Pr Latta
It's always sobering when you find yourself a cliche - but I kept following my kids asking, "did I ever say this to you?" Culled from their website, this hilarious book illuminates the generation gap in all too real a manner. As Pogo said, "We have met the enemy and he is Us." Laughed until I cried.
Emily
Feb 04, 2016 Emily rated it really liked it
Cute book based on the website where people can submit favorite text exchanges with their parents. They're not all making fun (as in "aw, they're so cute with their naïveté about technology"). There are some sweet ones too.
It's a nice easy read to make you smile.
Kristen
Dec 26, 2011 Kristen rated it really liked it
Any book that can make me laugh out loud on the bus and look like a complete idiot gets at least 4 stars in my rating system.
Nina
Jul 08, 2016 Nina rated it it was ok
Shelves: humor
Some texts were funny, esp the Harry Potter thing. but the rest is mediocre.
Cathleen
Feb 09, 2016 Cathleen rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
So cute. Many LOL's and :)'s
Jose Moran
Jun 12, 2014 Jose Moran rated it liked it
If it hadn't been for Oyster books, I woudn't have read, let alone, come across this book. I think it is based off of a blog, and that seems like the perfect format for it. I don't see myself buying this book if it is for free online. I can see it being sold at Urban Outfitters, but that's about it. I am grateful that it was on Oyster, because then it felt like I was just reading through a blog on my phone, which made my reading experience more enjoyable.

If you can come across it in any format,
Barbara Ell
Sep 02, 2011 Barbara Ell rated it it was amazing
OMG! I received this as a Goodreads First Read book and to sum up the entire book....ROTFL!!

I am at that age where some of my friends are the parents...totally clueless on what they are writing or so excited that their fingers can talk. Some of my friends share with me their parent's texts and I would think that those people were supposedly intelligent.

This is a compilation of texts received at the website whenparentstext.com. This is actually a book for even the "parents" since they offer a glo
Holly Cline
Sep 02, 2011 Holly Cline rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I won this through First Reads, and was really just delighted while reading through the book. I laughed out loud so many times that my roommate probably thought something was wrong with me. And they were BIG laughs.

I am one of the least tech savvy people in my age bracket (no facebook, smartphone or twitter for Holly!). I'm cool with it. But I really felt like I know people this book applies to. And what I love best is that the tone is never mean spirited. The parents come off cute and loving. T
NCPL Teenzone
Oct 18, 2011 NCPL Teenzone rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, humorous, ya

Why I picked up the book: The title of course. I haven't been to their website but I definitely know how confusing texts can be. For the longest time my mother-in-law thought LOL was lots of love so I wondered why she was laughing at the weirdest stuff.

Why I finished it: fast & easy. See how many times you want to read it aloud or share it with t
Angela
Jan 19, 2013 Angela rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
Friends Sophia and Lauren began a website chronicling the odd and sometimes incoherent texts from their parents, a generation far removed from this type of communication. The site grew and began to include texts from other people’s parents. This book is a retelling of their journey, beginning with the first texts and including a collection of their “greatest hits.” This book kept me thoroughly entertained on a plane--and I'm sure my fellow passengers were entertained (puzzled?) by the crazy lady ...more
D.G.
Dec 27, 2011 D.G. rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf, reviewed
After this book gave me a HUGE Harry Potter spoiler without any warning, I'm definitely not in the mood to continue reading it so I'm dnfing it and giving it a one star rating.

As I didn't think that I should give my money to "authors" who are this callous, I contacted Amazon for a refund and they were kind enough to give me one, even though the time frame for refunds had already passed.

Thanks to Amazon and good riddance to this book (and I'll be never stop on that website if they have a habit o
Monica Albright
Sep 01, 2011 Monica Albright rated it liked it
This was quite funny. There is a learning curve that goes along with learning to text. And it does seem that those of us who embrace traditional writing and grammar need more time to adjust to the texting shorthand. The one down side to this book, believe it or not, was that I read it electronically. Yes, you read that correctly. I read this book on my phone, and due to the size of the font and the size of my screen I often had to toggle between screens to get the entire text-humor. I would like ...more
Joanne
Jan 04, 2012 Joanne rated it really liked it
A funny book with actuals text from parents sent to their kids. Written by two recently college graduated young women who started collecting crazy texts from their parents and then decided to create a web site. Several of the entries had me laughing out loud. The best part is not all of the texts make the parents out to be bumbling idiots. A fun, quick read.
Monica
Jan 15, 2016 Monica rated it really liked it
Shelves: humour
LOL for sure! This book was great! Gotta love it when texting goes awkward. ;O)

Quite a lot of the texts had me laughing out loud so if you want to a funny and quick read I highly recommend it!

Although I was sad to see the website seems to have become defunct. Shame...
Cheryl
Oct 12, 2013 Cheryl rated it really liked it
I had this library book sitting around the house when I had house guests. They were cracking up. It was really fun to read aloud and the texts were clean, so that was good, I guess. I think it would make a good Christmas gift.
Jeanne Dunn
Jan 06, 2016 Jeanne Dunn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is NOT great literature. If you are a parent or have a parent, or can imagine that scenario, this book is laughing-so-hard-I'm-gonna'-pee-myself funny. At least it was to me, and sometimes a good laugh is the best medicine.
Kristy
Apr 02, 2014 Kristy rated it liked it
Amusing
Aileen
Oct 30, 2014 Aileen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hilarious...I laughed so hard I cried.
Kimberly Kane
Jan 17, 2012 Kimberly Kane rated it really liked it
I loved it, I laughed so hard I woke Chuck up. Hysterical.
Lindsey
Jul 27, 2015 Lindsey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: autobiography
I found this book funny, and heart warming at the same time.
  • People of Walmart: Shop and Awe
  • Fail Nation: A Visual Romp Through the World of Epic Fails
  • Damn You, Autocorrect!: Awesomely Embarrassing Text Messages You Didn't Mean to Send
  • Signspotting 2 : More Absurd and Amazing Signs from Around the World
  • Sh*t My Kids Ruined: An A-Z Celebration of Kid-Destruction
  • Texts From Last Night: All the Texts That No One Remembers Sending
  • Awkward Family Photos
  • Passive Aggressive Notes: Painfully Polite and Hilariously Hostile Writings
  • Wreck the Halls: Cake Wrecks Gets "Festive"
  • I Judge You When You Use Poor Grammar: A Collection of Egregious Errors, Disconcerting Bloopers, and Other Linguistic Slip-Ups
  • Regretsy: Where DIY Meets WTF
  • F for Effort: More of the Very Best Totally Wrong Test Answers
  • Found: The Best Lost, Tossed, and Forgotten Items from Around the World
  • The Book of "Unnecessary" Quotation Marks: A Celebration of Creative Punctuation
  • I Lick My Cheese And Other Notes: From The Frontline Of Flatsharing
  • F My Life
  • Bad Bridesmaid: Bachelorette Brawls and Taffeta Tantrums--Tales from the Front Lines
  • Reasons My Kid Is Crying

“MOM: Fuck santa. If I had a million little elves helping me and random people feeding me cookies, I’d be jolly all the time too.” 0 likes
“DAD: would ya’ll take me to the itunes store…i don’t know where its located…is it on S. Congress?” 0 likes