Start by marking “The Trials of Life: A Natural History of Animal Behaviour” as Want to Read:
The Trials of Life: A Natural History of Animal Behaviour

The Trials of Life: A Natural History of Animal Behaviour

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  202 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Each chapter, like each TV programme of the same title, looks at a separate stage in the life of animals.
Published October 4th 1990 by Collins (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Trials of Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Trials of Life

Greg
A short review, a longish aside with some personal ramblings and pictures of animals!

I really really liked this book. I thought about giving it five stars, but because I'm class-ocentric and I enjoyed Life of Mammals better, I felt my star ratings should show this distinction. Currently, or as current as when I was reading this, I am reading two animal books. One was great and one so far sucks. This is the great one.

Note: If David Attenborough would make a beautiful book / five part BBC documen
Amy
Really interesting. This is the companion book to the documentary series that came out when I was a teen. I love David Attenborough!
Sam
An exciting and indepth look it how life on earth begins, survives and passes on its knowledge to the next generation, this book looks at the different adaptations, skills and methods used by species and species groups to survive and pass on its genes. Attenborough takes the reader through life chapter by chapter revealing the different styles and methods used for each with descriptive and readable language without losing any of the drama or knowledge that comes with it. This book covers everyth ...more
Maryanne
The Trials of Life 07182005
A Natural History of Animal Behavior David Attenborough
Dark-Draco
This book is excellent. It charts the trials that animals have to face during their life, from growing up, to finding food and a mate, from defence to making a home. It is fascinating stuff, especially the amazing colour plates that are included throughout the text. And although some of the stuff Attenborough is describing is pretty complicated, it comes across in a good, easy way, so the reading of this book is a pleasure rather than a chore. Well worth the read.
Noah Jensen
this book is realy interesting, i love the anumal kingdom so this book is perfect 4 me. 2 interesting facts i learned 2day kangaros have a musle in their pouch that closes in watter so the baby is in no danger of drouning, and that a baby goat is a kid.
Nilu R.
If you love animals and natural history, this is a great light read. It is written well, and organized like a nature show. I have re-read this book several times, enjoying it each time.
Annie Vitti
Annie Vitti marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2014
Holly
Holly marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Rob
Rob marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2014
Scarletblue
Scarletblue marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2014
Samantha
Samantha marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Lindsay
Lindsay marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Sophia
Sophia marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
  • Frozen Planet
  • Collins Bird Guide
  • The Emerald Planet: How Plants Changed Earth's History
  • The Tapir's Morning Bath: Mysteries of the Tropical Rain Forest and the Scientists Who Are Trying to Solve Them
  • The Dinosaur Heresies: New Theories Unlocking the Mystery of the Dinosaurs and Their Extinction
  • For Love of Insects
  • Mapping the Deep: The Extraordinary Story of Ocean Science
  • The Bird: A Natural History of Who Birds Are, Where They Came From & How They Live
  • The Peregrine
  • Adventures among Ants: A Global Safari with a Cast of Trillions
  • Weeds: How Vagabond Plants Gatecrashed Civilisation and Changed the Way We Think About Nature
  • The Wisdom of Birds: An Illustrated History of Ornithology
  • Darwin's Ghost: The Origin of Species Updated
  • Symbiotic Planet: A New Look at Evolution (Science Masters)
  • The Ghost with Trembling Wings: Science, Wishful Thinking, and the Search for Lost Species
  • Beautiful Minds: The Parallel Lives of Great Apes and Dolphins
  • The Bedside Book of Birds: An Avian Miscellany
  • How to Be a (Bad) Birdwatcher
Sir David Frederick Attenborough is a naturalist and broadcaster, who is most well-known for writing and presenting the nine "Life" series, produced in conjunction with BBC's Natural History Unit. The series includes Life on Earth (1979), The Living Planet (1984), The Trials of Life (1990), Life in the Freezer (about Antarctica; 1993), The Private Life of Plants (1995), The Life of Birds (1998), T ...more
More about David Attenborough...
David Attenborough's Life on Air: Memoirs of a Broadcaster Life on Earth The Life of Birds The Life of Mammals The Living Planet