Start by marking “The Trials of Life: A Natural History of Animal Behaviour” as Want to Read:
The Trials of Life: A Natural History of Animal Behaviour

The Trials of Life: A Natural History of Animal Behaviour (Life Trilogy #3)

Each chapter, like each TV programme of the same title, looks at a separate stage in the life of animals.
Published October 4th 1990 by Collins (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Trials of Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Trials of Life

Pramod Nair
David Attenborough, a man with an insatiable passion to witness, wonder and study our fascinating living planet, made natural history approachable for layman through a series of highly informative and engaging documentaries and companion books, of which the ‘Life’ trilogy, I consider as my favorite. In ‘Trials of Life’ the third work in the trilogy, Attenborough take us on a journey around globe telling us about ‘Ethology’ or the objective study of animal behavior, in his signature style of flai ...more
Greg
Nov 16, 2011 Greg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animals
A short review, a longish aside with some personal ramblings and pictures of animals!

I really really liked this book. I thought about giving it five stars, but because I'm class-ocentric and I enjoyed Life of Mammals better, I felt my star ratings should show this distinction. Currently, or as current as when I was reading this, I am reading two animal books. One was great and one so far sucks. This is the great one.

Note: If David Attenborough would make a beautiful book / five part BBC documen
Cindy
Jul 05, 2015 Cindy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent examination of the natural world and animal behavior. The narrative is organized well and looks at animal behavior starting with birth and ending with 'continuing the line' (sexual behavior). In between, there's a look at growing up, finding food, hunting, making a home, living together, fighting, friends and rivals, talking, and courting. It is a fascinating look at the wide variety of animals and the adaptations that they've made to their environment. The photos are lovely and illust ...more
Alyssa
Mar 18, 2017 Alyssa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jenny
Shelves: march-2017
You know, most of the time reading nonfiction is boring. But this was actually interesting! All the stages of different animals throughout the time they were born to when they die. EVERY DETAIL(of their life)!
Amy
Oct 19, 2008 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really interesting. This is the companion book to the documentary series that came out when I was a teen. I love David Attenborough!
Sam
Sep 21, 2009 Sam rated it it was amazing
An exciting and indepth look it how life on earth begins, survives and passes on its knowledge to the next generation, this book looks at the different adaptations, skills and methods used by species and species groups to survive and pass on its genes. Attenborough takes the reader through life chapter by chapter revealing the different styles and methods used for each with descriptive and readable language without losing any of the drama or knowledge that comes with it. This book covers everyth ...more
Dark-Draco
This book is excellent. It charts the trials that animals have to face during their life, from growing up, to finding food and a mate, from defence to making a home. It is fascinating stuff, especially the amazing colour plates that are included throughout the text. And although some of the stuff Attenborough is describing is pretty complicated, it comes across in a good, easy way, so the reading of this book is a pleasure rather than a chore. Well worth the read.
Frank Ashe
Oct 16, 2015 Frank Ashe rated it really liked it
David Attenborough is magnificent. This book is at the level of his previous works. It doesn't get 5 stars simply because he's been consistently so good that 5 stars has to be reserved for something more than exceptional!
Noah Jensen
Nov 14, 2010 Noah Jensen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 8th-grade
this book is realy interesting, i love the anumal kingdom so this book is perfect 4 me. 2 interesting facts i learned 2day kangaros have a musle in their pouch that closes in watter so the baby is in no danger of drouning, and that a baby goat is a kid.
Nilu R.
Jun 19, 2008 Nilu R. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you love animals and natural history, this is a great light read. It is written well, and organized like a nature show. I have re-read this book several times, enjoying it each time.
Readerbug
Dec 02, 2014 Readerbug marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
2000
Gabriel Iqbal
Dec 13, 2014 Gabriel Iqbal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Masterpiece
Maryanne
The Trials of Life 07182005
A Natural History of Animal Behavior David Attenborough
Mikael Cerbing
Mikael Cerbing rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2014
Otterkat
Otterkat rated it liked it
Oct 02, 2011
Paul
Paul rated it really liked it
Feb 14, 2015
Jamie Walton
Jamie Walton rated it liked it
Jul 30, 2012
Kieran Neylon
Kieran Neylon rated it liked it
Aug 08, 2011
Lesley
Lesley rated it really liked it
Mar 24, 2013
Darina
Darina rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2011
Lewis
Lewis rated it it was amazing
Aug 28, 2012
Nolan
Nolan rated it it was amazing
Feb 27, 2016
Karen Metcalfe
Karen Metcalfe rated it it was amazing
Feb 10, 2013
Dani Facciolli
Dani Facciolli rated it it was amazing
Feb 25, 2015
Rebecca Bellucci
Rebecca Bellucci rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2012
Carmen
Carmen rated it really liked it
Mar 17, 2008
Boris
Boris rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2013
Hala
Hala rated it it was amazing
May 31, 2015
Tom
Tom rated it liked it
Dec 08, 2011
Fred Colon
Fred Colon rated it really liked it
Nov 27, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Frozen Planet
  • The Blue Planet
  • The Wisdom of Birds: An Illustrated History of Ornithology
  • The Bird: A Natural History of Who Birds Are, Where They Came From & How They Live
  • The Great Dinosaur Debate: New Theories Unlocking the Mystery of the Dinosaurs and Their Extinction
  • Naming Nature: The Clash Between Instinct and Science
  • The Bedside Book of Birds: An Avian Miscellany
  • How to Be a (Bad) Birdwatcher
  • The Ocean World (Abradale)
  • Collins Bird Guide
  • The Tapir's Morning Bath: Mysteries of the Tropical Rain Forest and the Scientists Who Are Trying to Solve Them
  • Becoming a Tiger : How Baby Animals Learn to Live in the Wild
  • For Love of Insects
  • Swimming with Piranhas at Feeding Time: My Life Doing Dumb Stuff with Animals
  • Right Hand, Left Hand: The Origins of Asymmetry in Brains, Bodies, Atoms and Cultures
  • The Ghosts Of Evolution: Nonsensical Fruit, Missing Partners, and Other Ecological Anachronisms
  • Digging Dinosaurs: The Search That Unraveled the Mystery of Baby Dinosaurs
  • The Beauty of the Beastly
Sir David Frederick Attenborough is a naturalist and broadcaster, who is most well-known for writing and presenting the nine "Life" series, produced in conjunction with BBC's Natural History Unit. The series includes Life on Earth (1979), The Living Planet (1984), The Trials of Life (1990), Life in the Freezer (about Antarctica; 1993), The Private Life of Plants (1995), The Life of Birds (1998), T ...more
More about David Attenborough...

Life Trilogy (3 books)