Start by marking “Hello Ocean/Hola Mar” as Want to Read:
Hello Ocean/Hola Mar

Hello Ocean/Hola Mar

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  207 ratings  ·  53 reviews
A bilingual book that encourages readers to experience the ocean with their five senses.
Published July 1st 2003 by Turtleback Books (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Hello Ocean/Hola Mar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hello Ocean/Hola Mar

Gundula
Jun 26, 2011 Gundula rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children who love the ocean (and adults as well)
Hello Ocean, by Pam Muñoz Ryan, with illustrations by Mark Estrella is a real feast for the senses. In a poetic, evocative text, a young girl describes how the ocean is her oldest and best friend, how she loves the sights, sounds, the touch, smells and tastes of the sea. I felt myself immersed and enveloped by the text, I could literally see, feel, touch and smell the ocean (I could imagine myself as the little girl, experiencing the waves, the sun, the smell of the salt wind, feel the sand, the ...more
Crystal Marcos
Jul 12, 2011 Crystal Marcos rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ocean, beaches, seaside, summer
My family and I just took a short trip to the seaside and I brought this book along to read to my 2 year old daughter. Since we have returned she has asked me to read it to her twice. I like the realistic illustrations of the ocean and beach. What we saw when we were at the ocean was very similar to what was illustrated in these pages (It was a bit colder here than depicted in the story so there weren't people actually swimming but there were some wadding). I would have loved to see someone in t ...more
Lisa Vegan
Jun 14, 2011 Lisa Vegan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ocean & beach lovers; to teach about and discuss the five senses
Really lovely, realistic style illustrations. I thought they were really great.

The rhyme that makes up the story is okay, and did fit in a lot about the experience of being at the ocean’s edge.

The account of a girl (girls? as it looks like 2 or 3 different girls basically in the same swimsuit outfit) appreciating the ocean via her five senses will resonate with ocean and beach lovers.

I do wish dead and dying fish in a bucket along with showing someone fishing from the sandy beach hadn’t been one
Cheryl
(for the Children's group). It took me too long to figure out the allusion to 'the five of me.' If a lucky child has been to the seashore, s/he'll be able to relive the experience through this girl's sharing - if not, this book will give the child the dream of going there someday. Lovely.
Dolly
Jul 25, 2011 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a fun book about the ocean. The illustrations are gorgeous and the narrative evokes all of our senses. I love how the scenes depict a bright summer day - I almost needed my sunglasses! I got a pang of nostalgia reading this book, especially now that we live much further away from the seashore. This book was featured as one of the selections for the July 2011: Seaside/Beaches books discussion at the Picture-Book Club in the Children's Books group here at Goodreads. I'm so glad that we had ...more
David
Hello Ocean by Pam Muñoz Ryan, illustrated by Mark Astrella is a beautiful concept book about the five senses set at an ocean beach. A girl experiences the ocean using her sight, hearing, feeling, taste and smell. It's also a celebration of a day at the beach by the ocean.

The descriptive text will introduce some readers to new vocabulary words. The rhyme and rhythm flow as do the waves. The large font and rhyme will make this a successful read-aloud for many young beach lovers. Dark, bolded typ
Megan Piero
This is a beautifully written book about a young girl who spends a day at the beach enjoying every bit of it with all of her fives senses. The entire book is written in both English and in Spanish with the blocks of text right next to each other. The author, Pam Muñoz Ryan, does an excellent job using descriptive language in the book. For example, she writes "waves that pounce in rowdy play, tide that tickles with splashing spray". This book also has an excellent flow to it that reads more like ...more
Alberta Medina
Interest Level: k-2
Lexile Reading Level: Not Available

This happy, realistic fiction poem takes us through a day at the beach with detailed descriptions and beautiful illustrations. This is a fantastic book to share with all students but especially English language learners because each page has a Spanish translation of the text. This book would be great to use as an introduction to poetry or as a literature circle book.
Julia Brumfield
This book attracted me with its title and the cover picture for I remembered my own early days when I was introduced to the ocean. Furthermore the words are easy to read and simple for any beginning reader.

The artwork is amazing, beautiful and very detailed. Each page is a full colored picture that illustrates what is being told in the story whether it is bubbly surf, spraying waves, sea gulls soaring the blue dish of sky or the glorious sunset of the day.

The best part is the memories that th
Lisa Carroll
This concept picture book about the five senses, was a pleasant surprise when it came home from our Scholastic order last year. This book uses such descriptive words to describe the ocean through each of the five senses. After reading this book, I felt as though I had just been at the beach. The paintings in the book were so realistic and beautiful. This book also prompted my son to reminisce about his own vacations at the beach. I had to explain that the little girl in the begining of the story ...more
J-Lynn
This is the story of a young girl as she visits the ocean for the day. The book starts saying, “Hello, ocean, my old best friend. I’m here with the five of me again.” I didn’t understand what the five was in reference to until the story progressed and explained how the ocean and beach affected the girls five senses. The book highlights the words that relate to the five senses and the pictures to a good job of supporting the text. The text is also written as a poem and has a strong rhythm and a c ...more
Amber Lewis
This is a wonderful book for any teacher to have in their classroom library. It is about a young girl and her family spending the day at the beach. The book is written in a poetic form, and focuses on the five senses. A great feature is that the book is written in both English and Spanish, opening the door to use this book in a lesson with English and ELL students. Also, the figurative language used throughout the book can help students broaden their skills at becoming more creative writers. The ...more
Eugenie
NY, Scholastic, 2002
This is a beautiful rhyming picture book. The bright illustrations enhance the text. The poem focuses on the five senses; each sense is highlighted as the verses progress.
"Amber seaweed, speckled sand
bubbly waves that kiss the land,
drying kelp and musty shells
I love the way the sea smells."
This could be a great addition to many types of lesson. I would use it to discuss the 5 senses to kindergarten students. The rhyming text is appealing and cheerful.

Kaitlin Moriarty
Very poetic, sensory evoking. Rich in language.
Faith Barron
This a a great book for a teacher to have in his/her classroom. It is about a little girls who spends the day at the beach with her family. SHe experiences the beack using all five senses because the beach has so much to offer.
This would be a wonderful book for ELL students because it is written in English and Spanish. On each page the authors writes the Text in English ans right next to that, in Spanish. This would give the students a chance to better their understanding and give them that extr
Christian Houseworth
This is an excellent book to have in my classroom, especially for English language learners. This book is like a poem that highlights the five senses in context to how one would feel about the ocean. The book is written in English and in Spanish and the five senses are highlighted in bold in the book. As a teacher, I would use this book to teach descriptive language. This book could also be used to teach poetry and as an anchor to teaching the five senses. Overall, this is great book with beauti ...more
Leslie Rock
This is a great book about a girl who goes to the beach with her family. The book is flooded with descriptive writing about the girl using all five of her senses to experience this glorious day at the beach. It's a really great book to use with our ELL students because the words are written in both English and Spanish. Being able to see the words in both languages right next to each other will help improve their English reading skills. The pictures are also vibrant and really show what is happen ...more
Katie
Excellent illustrations! Could hear the ocean in my mind!
Mckinley
Fun things to do at the beach.
Tina
Perfect for Ocean Story Time! Poetic verse beautifully describes the ocean using all five senses; taste, touch, smell, sight and sound. I think of this book every time I visit the beach now.
Amber Adams
This was a great read. I loved how the author included to versions of the story. (Spanish and English) The author also did an excellent job using describing words and imagery. The illustrations were vivid. I would use this book in a class with ELL students to help them better understand and make connections between home languages and school languages, it is essential to make the connection so the students won't lose their primary language.
Julie Graham 47150
This is a book I read to my students when we are learning about the ocean. In this story a young girl descibes her experiences at the beach using her five senses. The book helps all my students gain some background knowledge and vocabulary about the ocean. I also have a container of sand, a tub of shells, and a bottle of sea water that I pass around after we've read the book.
Eric Summers
Hello Ocean details a young girls trip to the beach and describes the ocean using all of her senses. The text is really nothing to write home about but I really enjoyed the pictures. The artist did an amazing job in the some of the illustrations, there are a few that look almost photo-realistic.

Good for use in young classrooms during ocean units or units about the five senses.

Lindsey
This is a great book to use when introducing the 5 senses for science and writing. Pam and Ryan really worked hard together in order to create a well written and illustrated book that goes into detail about the beach. Many of my students had never been there; it gave them an opportunity to have enough background knowledge to interact with others about going to the beach.
Kendra
We love this book about the senses at the seashore...it's a beautiful read-aloud, and a great pre-k or k book for classes. It also would be a great introduction to middle or older elementary school kids to simile/metaphor and other poetic devices. Great illustrations! I love Ms. Munoz-Ryan's writing and other books, though I wish I had a daughter to share them with.
Tracy Connolly
Hello, ocean, my old best friend. This bilingual book by Pam Munoz Ryan uses poetry to describe the ocean using the five senses. The text is written in both English and Spanish, allowing the reader to compare and learn the words. The beautiful illustrations by Mark Astrella make the reader feel as if they can experience the ocean.
Grace
Nov 12, 2007 Grace rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: toddlers and up
Wow - amazing illustrations and excellent language. Rhyming, good cadence, great imagery. Story describes a visit to the ocean as experiences through all the senses. Read this in prep for a trip to the beach several weeks ago and can't yet bring myself to return it to the library. My toddler loves to read it again and again.
Tara Gale
I really really enjoyed this book. I will be reading this book to my class one day. I enjoyed the ryhme sceme and loved the idea of the story. I also thought it was very cool that this book had realistic illistrations. This story was very simple but also used alot of bigger words. This is a very good picture book.
Tim Vandenberg
The expressive photo-realistic drawings make you really feel like you're actually at the beach. A great introduction to a favorite destination of just about everyone.

The Spanish/English parallel translations provide a nice touch for making this book a worthy read.

Recommended for young children (ages 3-8).
Lyla
Using rhyming text, a child describes the wonder of the ocean experienced through each of her five senses.

Really nice, realistic illustrations and observations about a day at the beach, focusing on the way the ocean looks, smells, sounds, feels, and tastes.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Seashore Book
  • Down, Down, Down: A Journey to the Bottom of the Sea
  • One Tiny Turtle: Read and Wonder
  • Fiesta Babies
  • My Five Senses Big Book (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science, Stage 1)
  • I Love Saturdays y Domingos
  • Demolition
  • Mouse Mess
  • Rocks in His Head
  • Los Gatos Black on Halloween
  • Chester Raccoon and the Big Bad Bully (Chester the Raccoon (Kissing Hand) #4)
  • Flower Garden
A former teacher, she lives in Leucadia, California with her family.
More about Pam Muñoz Ryan...
Esperanza Rising Becoming Naomi León The Dreamer Riding Freedom Paint the Wind