Start by marking “Nature of the Beast (Outside the City #1)” as Want to Read:
Nature of the Beast (Outside the City #1)

Nature of the Beast (Outside the City #1)

3.73  ·  Rating Details  ·  641 Ratings  ·  58 Reviews
The City is a cold, sterile place. What lies Outside it?

Raine O'Kelly has a gift. The very power of nature is his to command. When his gift lands him in trouble with the government, Raine find himself thrown into The Prison; one of the most feared punishments for those citizens who won't conform to The City's ideals.

Abused, scared, and slowly dying of deprivation from the
Published August 6th 2011 by Silver Publishing (first published August 5th 2011)

Cut & Run by Madeleine UrbanFaith & Fidelity by Tere MichaelsPromises by Marie SextonA Matter of Time by Mary CalmesFatal Shadows by Josh Lanyon
M/M Romance Series
174th out of 458 books — 413 voters
Change of Heart by Mary CalmesWith Caution by J.L. LangleyWithout Reservations by J.L. LangleyDuck! by Kim DareTrusted Bond by Mary Calmes
Best Gay Shifters
419th out of 826 books — 1,139 voters

More lists with this book...

Bookwatcher
Jan 03, 2012 Bookwatcher rated it liked it
Recommended to Bookwatcher by: Lola
That's me, reading many parts of this book

Quick overview about the plot and my feelings reading this book
Raine is something more than a just human. He can interact with plants (is described as sing/talk/listen). Unfortunately it's just said, he can do it, and not explained why. So, anyway, Raine can do it

but he live in a domed city, and things like outside or nature is not only banned, but something like possession of a plant is a crime punished by death or life in jail. Of course he will be
Ami

I feel like a broken record because a couple of reviewers have said almost exactly the same *sigh*. But here goes:

About 2/3 of the book, starting from the description of the beginning, then introduction of Raine and his ability, Raine's capture, the prison scene (where Raine meets the Beast), the recognition of Mate, the relationship build-up, the escape, up to the obstacles during the escape is MAGNIFICENT. It has a sense of Dystopian society in it, and I'm enchanted with how The City
MandyM
Aug 06, 2011 MandyM rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m-romance
3.5 stars. Better than average shifter romance which is enhanced by good world building. The story starts off in the extremely oppressive and dismal 'City' which is enclosed by a monstrous dome. The Big Brother type government arrests Raine whose gift with forbidden plants carries the death penalty. Once in prison he soon falls foul of the guards and is thrown into the cell of the terrifying "Beast".

I enjoyed the first 2/3 of this novel the most. It had a more complex and darker edge. The attrac
Serena Yates
Feb 16, 2012 Serena Yates rated it really liked it
Shelves: gay
The scenario of a ‘civilized’ city dome, detached from the jungle and world around it, may not be new, but the way this story is written definitely adds a fresh angle. Set in the distant future, the city controls its inhabitants ruthlessly (think 1984) – except for a few rebels. I loved the world building; Raine’s talent is an unusual one and intrigued me, the addition of a mysterious Outside race made me curious, and the secondary characters were interesting.

Raine has always been different, his
Straysod
Feb 03, 2013 Straysod rated it did not like it
Shelves: m-m, romance, dnf, shifter
Pluto Planet of Love
Reasonably strong start in a dystopian future, but it falls apart almost as soon as they escape the city and turns into the stereotypical matemateMATE thing too many shifter romances have. The secondary romance is really freaking obvious too. I wish the author had focused more on the dystopia, perhaps having them escape INTO the city and trying to survive there, rather than copping out and going the easy route.

Also, this is a cat-shifter. CAT. Cats do not have knots on their penises, that's some
Michelle
Oct 18, 2015 Michelle rated it it was ok
The good parts....

The bad parts...
Phaney
Apr 16, 2013 Phaney rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m
I really enjoyed this until the author dropped the ball towards the end. It’s a pity.

Going back to the beginning, I’m intrigued by the 1984 theme of the City (but glad the story location changes). This feels fresh, even if some common staples begin to emerge after a while. Still, the characters make more sense to me than the tired ones in the many, many lightweight shifter series have lately. (Minus towards the end. I won’t repeat that; it’s a given for the rest of this entry.)

If I want to do th
Lexi Ander
Aug 16, 2011 Lexi Ander rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm-shifters
There were many things that I like about this. The oppressed domed city where everyone is just shades of gray. People who are different are shunned. Just trying to live in a society that requires you to live by of someone else's idea of what perfection is, it would be exhausting. I would probably spent a lot of time in jail...just saying.

Raine and his abilities were fun even if they are fae in nature. I found him to be strong and resourceful, fighting to stay alive regardless of his situation. I
Ana
Feb 10, 2014 Ana rated it liked it
Kerry  sullivan
I read the blurb for this book and I thought wow this author is either really brave or nuts. Brave won out because it was a story about seeing beyond the surface and being who you were born to be. I loved that Raine was trying to buck a system that prized conformity and he was bucking that system and doing silently by living and being who he needed to be. Ash, or the beast, is scared inside and out and the story of the two of them is not only beautiful but one that will stay with me. This is the ...more
Kalyee
Mar 01, 2015 Kalyee rated it it was ok
As many, many other reviewers have mentioned...

Prison = Good
Jungle= Bad

So bad, I almost wished the book had ended at their escape from the City. There were editing issues, and continuity issues and plot holes (view spoiler)
Savannah
Okay, along with all the other reviews, I liked the dystopia and prison- the first 2/3rds of the book. And I disliked what everyone else disliked too. But there were a couple other things that threw me off that I haven't seen mentioned (granted, I've only skimmed)

There might be some spoilers

First, The first part of the book makes a huge deal out of his ability over nature, but once he meets Ashlon, it's barely even mentioned, save for a few moments here and there. It's like he totally forgot ab
Lola
Nov 27, 2011 Lola rated it really liked it
Shelves:
3.5-4

it's ok. I like the idea and the second part of the novel is much more interesting.

Could have been longer. Kind of reminded me of Bloodraven without all the nasty gory stuff.

Dialogues need to be changed, some are really corny.

Like I said, need more plot. The characters are just beginning to form and then the novel ends.
Nikko
Jun 18, 2013 Nikko rated it liked it
Shelves: no-re-read
Everything was going really great until the part where they mentioned that they had to be intimate with a woman to have an heir... That totally spoils it.. Not continuing these series.. This would have been my favourite series...:-( Sorry.
adrienne
originally posted here:

a bit late in adding it here, eh?

Amylea Lyn’s first installment in her new Outside the City series, Nature of the Beast, is set in a world where the City is completely under the control of the government that insists nothing exists beyond the City- a claim they can make since the City is covered by a dome, separating it from the Outside. The government controls and monitors everything, including the ban on plant life within the City.
Neyjour
Melanie
May 12, 2012 Melanie rated it really liked it
Book reviewed for Joyfully Jay in May 2012

Rating: 4.25 stars

Raine O' Kelley was different. Inside the Domed City, conformity was the rule, starting with your physical attributes. White blond hair and blue gray eyes are the norm, but not Raine. His hair was the color of gold and his eyes were a deep green. The fact that he varied from the norm was enough to guarantee that no woman would ever choose him as a husband. He wouldn't even be employed if his influential father had not interceded with th
Secretly Reading
Sep 18, 2012 Secretly Reading rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm, paranormal, 2012-reads
*Originally reviewed for The Book Vixen

In a Nutshell: This book captured my attention within the first 20 pages and held my attention the entire time. Excellent world building combined with an emotional and sexy MM romance makes this a high recommend.

What I Liked: I knew by page 20 that I was going to love this world and the book. The oppressive City is extremely well described and perfectly creepy with its big-brother drones and sinister guards. The juxtaposition of this sterile world with Rain
LD  Durham
Jul 25, 2013 LD Durham rated it did not like it
At first I thought this book was just immature: either the book was published too early or the writer wasn't quite ready to be publishing. But, no, it's just a badly written book.

The premise was original and the two main characters were likable enough, at first. But the writing sort of crashed down on itself. There were big holes, wrong words, and issues that were left to be unresolved.

One of the more glaring examples of the author using words she didn't know the meaning of (and clearly the ed
J'aime
Apr 09, 2012 J'aime added it
Shelves: paranormal, romance, m-m
Imagine George Orwell's "1984" reinterpreted as an M/M romance, with some shapeshifting cats thrown into the mix, and you get this highly creative story. Big Brother is indeed watching Raine, and sends him to prison for life after he is found harboring plants. The author uses vivid description to bring her world to life. I could easily imagine The City in all its oppressive glory. And though this story is short, we get enough background on Raine, and later the Beast, to make them come alive. Thi ...more
ARe Cafe
Apr 08, 2013 ARe Cafe rated it really liked it
Shelves: bbb-picks
Nature of the Beast took a shifter story and changed it into something unique. I loved it. Raine has two problems, the first is that he lives in a cold sterile City designed to ‘protect humanity’, the second is that he has an affinity for plants and without them he’ll soon die. It’s these two problems that land him in prison, because having any kind of plant life is illegal because it’s too reminiscent of the wilderness and the wild nature outside the City walls.

Prison is horrid. He is raped and
Saphirablue
Becca Finn
Jun 14, 2013 Becca Finn rated it did not like it
I struggled to rate this book, because it didn't exactly deserve only one star. It wasn't horrible exactly. I was able to finish it, which I can't if a novel is too boring or doesn't make sense.

The concept behind that book had so much potential. I really loved Raine's affinity to plants, and wanted to know more. The atmosphere also was interesting in contrast with the world outside.

My problem was that everything felt rushed. Not enough was explained, and events felt way too abrupt.

I don't even
Erin
Jun 01, 2015 Erin rated it really liked it
Shifters with a sci-fi twist! This was an interesting break from the usual shifter fare. It started off a bit slow, but I am glad I stuck with it. I genuinely liked the characters and plan to read the other two books in the trilogy.
Meggie
Aug 09, 2011 Meggie rated it liked it
The story was to light. I liked Raine as a character but for me he was just to nice. The prison time was really short and you couldn't even get the feeling for it. There was no true prison atmosphere and Raine was to bland for me. When guards thrown Raine into the cell with The Beast I thought at last here come the good interesting part. But hell those two bonded nearly instantly. Gosh how exciting was this....it killed the mood totally, at list for me. In my believe Raine and Ash bonded in pris ...more
Seregil
Sep 11, 2011 Seregil rated it liked it
Cute read, but I was hoping for more originality. In the end every element of the plot and of the background made me think "oh, that sounds like book X/movie Z". Maybe I'm just the kind of person that read/watched too much Sci-Fi and that's why I feel like it's all cliche after cliche. The romance isn't particularly original either. All in all it's a nice read, though. I agree with the reviewers that say it was better in the beginning. Held a lot more promise till they escaped.

Call me mean, but
Michelle
Aug 18, 2015 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Gripping. Nail biting. Thrilling. Read the book, I'm begging you to do so. You won't regret it. I promise.
miss_chams
Apr 05, 2013 miss_chams rated it liked it
This was a total cliché, but not a badly done one. Though there were a few things that bumped it down to 3 stars.

Jess
3.5 Stars.

I was really looking forward to this story. The blurb sounded awesome but the story left me with quite a few unanswered threads. It had great potential but there was alot of cliche shifter stuff that kind of made the last 35 pages a bit of a let down.

Dont get me wrong, its interesting and a slightly different take on a shifter story BUT the author didnt explore issues enough for me to give it a higher rating.

I recommend this for those that are in the mood for a fairly light shifter sto
  • The Pauper Prince (Changing Moon, #1)
  • Blood of a Leo (Solomon's Pride #1)
  • Saving Ciaran (Outcasts, #1)
  • Mind Magic  (Triad, #1)
  • Soldier Mine (Thresl Chronicles, #1)
  • Lords of Kellesborne (The Draegan Lords, #2)
  • Chasing Seth (True Mates #1)
  • Bayou Dreams (Rougaroux Social Club #1)
  • The Alpha King (Passion's Hero #1)
  • Lone
  • Ulrich (The Highland Wolves, #1)
  • Relentless (Southwestern Shifters #2)
  • Apocalypse (Wolfman #1)
  • Mate of the Tsatrya
  • Slave Auction (Spaced Out For Love, #1)
  • Touch of a Wolf
3272078
Amylea Lyn is a little odd, a lot weird, and just plain strange. At least that's what everyone tells her. She lives in Nevada, filling her laptop with too many stories to count and trying to ignore the yells of her football-obsessed siblings in the background. Most days, Amylea can be found sitting in her favorite chair after work, bugging those around her for fun tidbits to make her stories more ...more
More about Amylea Lyn...

Outside the City (3 books)
  • The Beast's Promise (Outside the City, #2)
  • Redemption of the Beast (Outside the City, #3)

“No one was free in the City.” 2 likes