Start by marking “Who's Pushing Your Buttons?: Handling the Difficult People in Your Life” as Want to Read:
Who's Pushing Your Buttons?: Handling the Difficult People in Your Life

Who's Pushing Your Buttons?: Handling the Difficult People in Your Life

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  126 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Dr. Townsend introduces a revolutionary approach for reaching out to, confronting, negotiating with and setting appropriate limits for the difficult people in our life.
Published July 1st 2004 by Thomas Nelson Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Who's Pushing Your Buttons?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Who's Pushing Your Buttons?

Jan
Nov 09, 2009 Jan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who has difficult relationships or feels victimized by others
I listened to the audiobook version read by the author. This book tackles problem relationships that occur when one person "pushes the buttons" of another. He addresses how to evaluate the problem, how to identify your button pusher and what your part is in the process, and how to deal with the problem. He does a great job of giving examples of different relationships and problems and ideas for working with making changes. The author is a psychologist and talented speaker who comes across with a ...more
Kathy
OUTSTANDING!!! I'm buying this for several of my friends who are married to MAJOR Button Pushers!!! Wish I had read this years ago. Thanking God my husband in NOT my BUTTON PUSHER! Trying & praying very hard NOT to be ANYONE'S Button Pusher myself.
This book had a lot of good ideas for the manner in which to approach difficult relationships. However, the biggest thing I took away from this book is that if you yourself have not handled your own grief, your own backlog of emotional baggage, you are not ready to take this step yet. Sure, perhaps a few little things here and there - but you can't begin to overhaul your relationship with others until you've taken a good hard look at yourself and your own growth. Maybe that sounds cliche here, b ...more
Victor Da Silva
(Please don't always pay attention to critics, because each critic has its different point of view, and it's almost always better to see it for yourself ratter than only paying attention to other's comments) I've read books like this, that are only in spanish (I'm from Venezuela) and they have some similar points of view, but I don't think that pointing out the person's problem, rather than seeing the problem as something outside the person so it won't "hurt" them would be better, and this book ...more
Caroline P
I would give this 4.5 if I could! Full of great information we could ALL use, as there are lots of button pushers out there in the world! :)
Ann Swan
This is a great book, one that i will have to read again to take notes. In the future i will better handle people that push my buttons. I tend to shy away from these people, but will try to solve instead of walk away going forward.
Danielle
The concepts are 5 star, his other books have better writing. I can appreciate the desire to be fair and use both he and she for the button pusher, however, it changed back and forth so often it was distracting. I would prefer he stayed with one pronoun unless he is telling a specific story about a male or female button pusher. His other books and the concept would get 5 stars and I recommend his books on boundaries.
Skylar Hatfield
This book was great. I wish I had read it 10 years ago. This book is more about co-dependency than dealing with people who irritate you once in a while. I It is the most instructive, constructive book I have read on dealing with difficult people. I recommend this book to anyone who loves someone or works with someone who has personality issues or addictions. I will re-read this book.
Stacey Daze
I loved this book more than I thought I would. The advice Dr. Townsend gives in how to deal with difficult people was wonderful. Much of what he said can also be used in a daily manner. I think the best part was how he's talking as if you can control another person, when in reality all you are controlling is yourself. You simply take away the second party in the argument.
Jocelyn Montalvo Cullum
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Paulette
Keen insight that teaches one how to look inside a situation and navigate within personal boundaries that protect.
Melanie
oh boy...don't even get me started...I hope to learn much from this about myself, faith, surrender and boundaries
MerD
Too much religion, not enough substance on how to deal with the asshole, bipolar, belligerent ex husband.
Karen
Another solid effort by 1/2 of the successful Cloud / Townsend writing team. Great advice here.
Cathy
great book for dealing with challenging people :)
Denise Hill
Denise Hill is currently reading it
Jun 23, 2015
Justice
Justice is currently reading it
Jun 23, 2015
Zaneta Flowers
Zaneta Flowers marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2015
Jarrett Clay
Jarrett Clay marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
Jayne Renee
Jayne Renee marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Bonnie Sink
Bonnie Sink marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2015
Jim Anderson
Jim Anderson is currently reading it
Apr 29, 2015
Joshua
Joshua marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
  • It's Not My Fault: The No-Excuses Plan for Overcoming the Effects of People, Circumstances or DNA and Enjoying God's Best
  • Finding Peace for Your Heart: A Woman's Guide to Emotional Health
  • Foolproofing Your Life: Wisdom for Untangling Your Most Difficult Relationships
  • No More Christian Nice Girl: When Just Being Nice--Instead of Good--Hurts You, Your Family, and Your Friends
  • The Language of Love & Respect: Cracking the Communication Code with Your Mate
  • Coping with Difficult People
  • The Reason Driven Life: What Am I Here on Earth For?
  • The Secret to True Happiness: Enjoy Today, Embrace Tomorrow
  • The Healing Path: How the Hurts in Your Past Can Lead You to a More Abundant Life
  • The Emotionally Destructive Relationship: Seeing It, Stopping It, Surviving It
  • The Language of Emotions: What Your Feelings Are Trying to Tell You
  • Vital Friends: The People You Can't Afford to Live Without
  • The Connecting Church
  • The Blessing
Beyond Boundaries: How To Know When It's Time To Risk Again Hiding from Love: How to Change the Withdrawal Patterns That Isolate and Imprison You Boundaries with Teens: When to Say Yes, How to Say No Loving People: How to Love & Be Loved How to Be a Best Friend Forever: Making and Keeping Lifetime Relationships