Start by marking “Good Graces” as Want to Read:
Good Graces

Good Graces

3.89  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,043 Ratings  ·  176 Reviews
"To this day, my sister insists it was nothing more than the unrelenting heat that drove us to do what we did that summer, but that's just Troo yanking my chain the way she always has. Deep down, she knows as well as I do that it wasn't anything as mundane as the weather. It was the hand of the Almighty that shoved us off the straight and narrow path."..
"Whistling in the
Published September 1st 2011 by New American Library

To ask other readers questions about Good Graces, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Good Graces

Mrs Mommy Booknerd http://mrsmommybooknerd.blogspot.com
I have to say that the wait for Good Graces was definitely worth it. I was able to read a galley of the book and was blown away at how good it was. I absolutely loved Whistling in the Dark and was anxiously awaiting the sequel . When reading Whistling in the Dark I felt like I was transported in time and that I became part of the O'Malley sisters lives. To be able to revisit these girls again in Good Graces was a gift that Kagen delivered with a giant bow. This is by far one of the greatest sequ ...more
Nancy
Sep 27, 2011 Nancy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Unpredictable and an awful lot like a fun time. Sally is the narrator and Sally is telling the story in her 12 year old voice. She captures the time period, the tone, and the innocence so well! Absolutely loved the Point of view, each character and the way Sally describes each character. Politically incorrect language of the 1970's, it is not offensive but consistent with the way people talked.

I loved every single character and the way they presented themselves to Sally. I loved the Pollacks, B
Rochelle Staab
Apr 12, 2011 Rochelle Staab rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone!
I'm grinning from ear to ear. Fortunate to have an advance, I finished GOOD GRACES in a marathon two day read. The themes in the story are delicious – Kagen pokes at the ugly truths everyone conveniently hid back in 1960s Milwaukee. Never wanted to put the story down, never did. The pacing was riveting (one more chapter then lunch, no, one more chapter then bed, go to bathroom when this chapter ends.) I always enjoy Kagen’s voice and her stream of consciousness style.

I was so happy to be with t
Lynne
Jun 04, 2011 Lynne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was lucky enough to get this book from Netgalley and didn't realise it was a sequel so had to buy and read the first book before I read this. Although I didn't like it quite as much as Whistling in the Dark, I still loved Good Graces. The cast of characters are what really makes the book - the heroine Sally O'Malley and her sister Troo, their friends, neighbours and parents all make the book warm and a pleasure to read. Once again the author really makes Sally come alive with her funny one lin ...more
Jessica
Sep 14, 2011 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
9/3: Started last night; I am so ridiculously excited for this book. I have quite the soft spot for the O'Malley sisters, especially since they live in Wisconsin, close to where I grew up.

9/14: Oh Lesley Kagen, how can I thank you for this series? I'd love to give this book 10 stars. I adore Sally & Troo and I can only hope that there will be more. It took me a while to finish because I wanted to savor it. I definitely will re-read it.
Nancy
Oct 25, 2011 Nancy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I finished Good Graces I intended to write a review - but I couldn't. I'm not sure why, I guess it was "writer's block" - but it was also because I couldn't sort out my feelings about the story. I still find it difficult to put into words because so much of my love of the book is about how it made me feel as I read it. For awhile I thought I was disappointed in Troo and Sally's mother. Given the danger of the previous summer (depicted in "Whistling in the Dark") I just couldn't understand h ...more
McGuffy Morris
Jun 03, 2011 McGuffy Morris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Lesley Kagen continues the story of Sally O’Malley and her sister Troo, from her bestselling novel Whistling in the Dark. However, to simply call this a sequel, while the transition is seamless, does not do this book justice. Good Graces has its own story to tell.

It is one year later in 1960 Milwaukee, Wisconsin. A year in the life of the O’Malley sisters has seen many changes. While home life is more secure, both girls are still grieving the sudden loss of their father a year ago. Ever the goo
Sharon
Apr 04, 2012 Sharon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a charming story told from the perspective of an 11-year-old in 1960. I enjoyed the story and the insights into relationships that were skillfully shown and not narrated to the reader. I have a few nits: 1) the use of cliches was overdone to the point of being annoying and unnatural. It was funny at first, charming, but it was too unbelievable that one kid that age would use nearly every one known to man at that period of time. 2) The voice of Sally was inconsistent for a girl that age, ...more
Maggie Bryan
Aug 13, 2011 Maggie Bryan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I re-read Whistling in the Dark prior to reading this sequel and I have to say that the sequel is better than the original novel. I really enjoyed hanging with the O'Malley girls once again. Lesley Kagen has a terrific memory for the times she writes about. Having lived through those times myself, I was frequently caught up with a detail that made me say, "Wow, I had forgotten about that." The time spent with Sally and Troo O'Malley is as satisfying as the best comfort food you can think of.
The
Lorri
Aug 20, 2011 Lorri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the sequel to Whistling In The Dark, which I have not read. Even though I didn't read the first book, I could understand and follow everything going on. It starts out with Sally being in her 60's, telling the story of what happened in the summer of 1960- where someone was buried that only her and her sister knew about. Sally feels obligated to watch Troo and keep her out of trouble. It not only causes her to give up her free time, but lose sleep. Sally also finds out that her deceased fa ...more
Ellen Stutzman
Jun 02, 2011 Ellen Stutzman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Good Graces" by Lesley Kagen - I just spent the better part of today reunited with dear friends, living in the Washington Park area of Milwaukee, WI. in the 1960s. The unforgettable characters & clever twists of plot kept me reading voraciously...not wanting to miss a thing.

The ending was...Oh, you will have to read "Good Graces" to find out for yourself!! This sequel to "Whistling in the Dark" reminds me of the imagination at work in a 12 year old girl's mind, as a long hot summer stretche
Lenore
May 02, 2011 Lenore rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had the privilege of being an early reader of Good Graces, Lesley Kagen's sequel to her first novel, Whistling in the Dark. The continuation of the story of the wise and wonderful O'Malley sisters, Sally and Troo from Milwaukee, Wisconsin is endearing, and heart-warming and will not to be forgotten by Lesley's fans. Trust me, you will not be able to put it aside once you open the beautifully designed cover and immerse yourself in this September, 2011 release. You will find your questions about ...more
Debbie
Oct 11, 2011 Debbie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lesley Kagen's descriptions in Good Graces are amazing! You will feel as though you are in the Milwaukee neighborhood with Troo and Sally O'Malley! When I was a little girl we always went to see Sampson the gorilla at the Milwaukee Zoo. When Lesley wrote about the girls' visit with Sampson I felt the excitement that I used to feel so many years ago when I went to see him. This is a "keep reading-can't put it down" book! Don't stop with Good Graces. Make sure you read Lesley's other books: Whistl ...more
Rebecca
Nov 26, 2011 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: set-in-wi, mysteries
This follow-up to Whistling in the Dark was worth the wait. Kagen hasn't lost her touch for describing the north-west side of Milwaukee in the early 1960's. I had to laugh, because so much of the social commentary still holds true today in the melting pot that is Milwaukee. The comments about Italians (don't stand too close to them when they are talking- you'll get hit by their flapping arms, the fact they can turn on you in a second)really cracked me up. All and all, it was wonderful to spend a ...more
Louise
Aug 19, 2014 Louise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
NAL Trade|May 1, 2012|Trade Paperback|ISBN: 978-0-451-23665-4
Story Description:
"To this day, my sister insists it was nothing more than the unrelenting heat that drove us to do what we did that summer, but that's just Troo yanking my chain the way she always has. Deep down, she knows as well as I do that it wasn't anything as mundane as the weather. It was the hand of the Almighty that shoved us off the straight and narrow path..."
Whistling in the Dark- a national bestseller-captivated readers w
Amber
Sep 12, 2011 Amber rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of books that take place in the past
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book for free from goodreads first reads. I loved this book.It was set in 1960. The narrator is a young girl (Sally) and her innocence shows through in her story telling and made me smile. Her little sister Troo is a handful and I admit had me actually laugh out loud. This book has well developed characters. The main characters are all likeable. This is a sequel, but it can stand alone as well. My only gripe about this book is that I didn't read the first one but I intend to fix ...more
Mary Kost
Aug 06, 2011 Mary Kost rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bravo,Bravo!!!!Lesley Kagen has done it again!! She has brought our two little sweethearts back to the pages of our imagination!! While reading this book you can't help but feel you are sitting right next to Sally experienceing the same emotions. This book is flawless and has left me wanting more. What kind of twisting and turning adventures would come of the O'Malley sisters next summer! This book is a must read!!! Thank you Lesley for your gift of writing!!
Tagra
May 26, 2016 Tagra rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book left me feeling confused. It was a rollercoaster, but for the wrong reasons.

I didn't pay too much attention to it when I started it, and I was 30% of the way into it before I discovered it was actually a sequel to a book I haven't read. It set itself up well enough, but a lot of things were half-explained and I expected them to be important when they were actually just callbacks to the first book. No big deal, I was able to follow along easily enough.

The first 50% of the book was quite
Margaret
Jan 25, 2014 Margaret rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not realizing this was a sequel to Whistling in the Dark I just pulled this off the library shelf as a good read while I am snowed in for the winter. I haven't read Whistling in the Dark so maybe I need to start there before I go on to Good Graces because after several chapters, I just had to put Good Graces down and cut my losses.

I found the chapters to be choppy as Sally, the 11 year old narrator describes her life and her friends living in the late 1950's in Milwaukee. True to a child's way
Judi Fox
I stumbled across Whistling in the Dark, by this same author because the cover was appealing. I loved it - loved Lesley Kagan's style of writing, from the child's perspective. Children understand things literally, so she often didn't understand exactly what was going on, yet she understood everything on a deeper level. So...I grabbed another book by this author, and it was a second happy accident that it was Good Graces, a sequel to Whistling in the Dark.

Good Graces takes place a year after Whi
Patricia
Nov 06, 2011 Patricia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was such a great book. I loved how the characters really shined in the book. I know this was a follow up to another book I would like to read the first one. The time and place in this book was brought forth so well. It made me feel like I was in the book with them..
Pete
Apr 15, 2011 Pete rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I heard there was going to be a sequel to Whistling in the Dark I was excited, but also nervous that the author could surpass herself. I needn't have worried. Good Graces is wonderful! What a great book club read! Thank you, Ms. Kagen. Brava!
Lisa
Oct 17, 2011 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I do not see a rating for the audio book. But, get it and listen to it. The author is a Fantastic Narrator who really brings Sally to life....I have been laughing.
Linda
Oct 20, 2011 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the best sequals I have read. Good story teller, good characters, and just an enjoyable read with some suspense. Can't wait to read her other books.
Diana
Nov 04, 2011 Diana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-love
I loved this sequel to Whistling in the Dark. The O'Malley sisters are quite the pair! I hope this isn't the last I get to read of them.
Gloria
Sep 28, 2011 Gloria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, non-fiction
I didn't want this book to end, I wish I had these 2 little girls living next to me. It keeps me thinking on how to be "charitable".
Ruth Vanderhart
Nov 08, 2011 Ruth Vanderhart rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you liked Whisling in the Dark, don't miss this book. Excellent sequel!
Tina
Jan 08, 2016 Tina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow just as good as the first book.....somebody make a movie out of these!!!
Diana
Jul 25, 2015 Diana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as captivating as the first book but cute. Maybe 3.5 stars.
Rosemary
May 12, 2012 Rosemary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Audio. Author read book. It was great and hilarious at times!!
  • A Life of Bright Ideas
  • The Summer We Lost Alice
  • The Lost Son
  • Old Ghosts
  • Families and Other Nonreturnable Gifts
  • Hissers
  • Santa Hates Seattle
  • Gray
  • Chasing the Witch (Boston Witches, #2)
  • Sweet Sanctuary
  • The Clever Mill Horse (CMH, #1)
  • Unconscionable (Richard Coleman, #3)
  • Black Heart on the Appalachian Trail
  • Whispers of Goodbye
  • Me Again
  • Prayers and Lies
  • Minor Adjustments
  • Sage Carrington, Eighth-Grade Science Sleuth
Lesley Kagen is a mother of two, a grandmother of two, an actress, celebrated public speaker, essayist, and the award winning, New York Times bestselling author of eight novels, including her newest, THE MUTUAL ADMIRATION SOCIETY, which will be released in January 2017. She lives in a charming small town in Wisconsin in a hundred-fifty-year-old farm house with her dog, Gracie.

More about Lesley an
More about Lesley Kagen...

“...[Joseph] and the Virgin Mary got turned away from the inn and had to go sleep in the manger. (Not with the manager, like Troo says.)” 4 likes
“Can you see the fireworks from Heaven?” 4 likes