Start by marking “Not That Sort of Girl” as Want to Read:
Not That Sort of Girl

Not That Sort of Girl

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  632 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
When, on the night of their wedding, Ned asks his new wife Rose to promise that she will never leave him, Rose is quick to give her aristocratic husband her word: keeping it, however, proves harder.

For even on the day when she has promised to forsake all others, Rose's heart is with the true love of her life, Mylo, the penniless but passionate Frenchman who, within five mi
Published May 1st 1989 by Penguin Books (first published January 1st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Not That Sort of Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Not That Sort of Girl

Elizabeth
Oct 12, 2010 Elizabeth rated it it was ok
Interesting and well-written book about relationships, but not a single likeable character.
Jay Northcote
Apr 24, 2014 Jay Northcote rated it it was amazing
Shelves: old-favourites
I will always love this book. Partly because it reminds me of my mother. Partly because it reminds me of being a teenager (I think I was that young when I first read it? not far off anyway. But mostly because I love Mary Wesley's writing. Her characters are fascinating (if not always likeable) and their relationships are wonderfully complicated and messy and real.

I particularly like Wesley's female characters. Love them or hate them, Wesley writes strong, rounded, three dimensional women - and
Carole
Apr 24, 2016 Carole rated it liked it
Frances Scott
Aug 06, 2012 Frances Scott rated it liked it
Though a little slow in places, I enjoyed this book very much. Themes include choosing security over true love, of striving to please one's parents, of elevating competition against another woman to a level that ignores far more important considerations. All of these resonated with me for various reasons. The theme of forsaking one's true soulmate because of a promise made to another was truly heartbreaking. However, the ending was very satisfying without being too kitsch-y. Best of all, the pro ...more
Louise
Nov 17, 2009 Louise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like this book for the same reason that I like the Thorn Birds. It is a tale of tortured romance, stiffled over the years.

The two lovers who meet as teenagers but never took the chance of true love and on occasion bitterly regret it is my idea of a good novel. The need for security for Rose is understandable as her lover Mylo risks all during the war.

The fact that years go by at times where they never meet but their love doesn't really wane is soooo romantic. Also that the relationship isn't
Chris Walker
Jun 09, 2014 Chris Walker rated it did not like it
Romantic tosh. However, don't think that just because this book was written by a woman of 75 that it is not full of sexual exploits and colourful language. Just found the narrative rather implausible.
Kathy
Oct 11, 2013 Kathy rated it it was amazing
I received this book as a gift from a friend with good taste and a sly wit (well, actually from a couple, my one wonderful and improbable experiment in matchmaking) for my birthday.

I don't know if you have to be in your 60's to enjoy this. I hope not, for it is witty and passionate and wonderful and thoughtful; a dance back through time and then forward for an apparently conventional woman of 67 years.

I loved it. How little we know of the undercurrents of each others lives, how little of what mi
Stephanie
Feb 22, 2015 Stephanie rated it liked it
I enjoyed the book, but I felt the constant switching between flashbacks and modern day was a bit confusing at points.
Normalyn Espejo
Aug 28, 2011 Normalyn Espejo rated it it was amazing
I love the book! It focuses mainly on extra marital affairs, which I do not condone. But the author wrote it in a manner that's light and I like that. I think this situation is happening in reality wherein people would not end up marrying the people they love but chose to be practical and chose financial security. The heroine in this book however was pushed because of pressure form those around her. I like that Milo and her weer given the chance to be together happily in the end. And that was a ...more
Jewels
Jul 08, 2015 Jewels rated it it was amazing
Re-read after years - still as enjoyable.
Trena
Jul 10, 2015 Trena rated it liked it
Just a lovely read
Beverly
Mar 30, 2014 Beverly rated it it was ok
Tedious.Couldn't get into it.
Jane
Sep 14, 2009 Jane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my first Mary Wesley book recommended by a friend and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Although The Times blurb on the front said 'part love story, part social comedy, full of jokes, sex and twists' I didn't find it particularly funny or full of jokes. The premise of the book - security over love is an age old story and one that women will always grapple with and I must admit I found it refreshing that Rose kept her promise and was rewarded in the end before it was too late to enjoy it.
Basia Korzeniowska
Jun 20, 2016 Basia Korzeniowska rated it liked it
Quite hard to get into but a quarter of the way in I found I could not put it down. Sometimes quite shocking in its outspokenness it's nevertheless very real yet funny.
Amy
Nov 30, 2014 Amy rated it really liked it
To me, this is classic Mary Wesley. The tension between duty and desire is pitch perfect. And the balance between the unloving and unchosen trio of Rose, Nicholas and Emily is a dark joy: they need yet dislike each other in so many ways. But the true beauty of the book is the growing strength of Rose. She earns and deserves the ending.
Suze Mackay
May 04, 2016 Suze Mackay rated it really liked it
love all her books
Sue
Feb 17, 2010 Sue rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, read-2000
Rose, staying at a hotel after a funeral, reflects on her past life: both the one that everyone saw, and her secret thoughts. Clever and effective flashbacks alternate with the present, as she comes to terms with her future. Rather too much bad language for my tastes, but mostly believable people.
Dot
Jan 27, 2011 Dot rated it really liked it
I am enjoying reading all the Mary Wesley books and this one is no different. A rollicking good read and one that made me think about relationships and how we often settle for what we think is good for us and not for what brings us true passion.
Melissa Rockenfield
Dec 20, 2013 Melissa Rockenfield rated it it was amazing
What a delightful find! Thank you so much to Kristen for introducing it to me.
Patricia
Very interesting book. Raises issues of morality. Easy to read, great characters.
Teresa D
Jul 30, 2012 Teresa D rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-books
Not one of my favourite Wesley,could'nt quite take to Rose.However still a good read.
Karine Mon coin lecture
J'ai beaucoup aimé! Mary Wesley est vraiment une auteure que j'affectionne.
Jane Brown
Nov 04, 2011 Jane Brown rated it really liked it
Extremely well written. Held my attention all the way through.
Lisa
Apr 26, 2012 Lisa rated it really liked it
Oh, I liked this one. Just the right blend of tart and romantic.
Leslie
Feb 24, 2010 Leslie rated it it was amazing
I like British authors.
Roberta
Jun 07, 2013 Roberta rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Very British.
Adrian
Adrian rated it did not like it
Jun 12, 2016
Suzanne Pelton
Suzanne Pelton marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2016
  • Wild Mary: The Life Of Mary Wesley
  • A Village Affair
  • Paradise News
  • Some Tame Gazelle
  • Two People
  • Is Underground (The Wolves Chronicles, #8)
  • Heat Wave
  • Burning Bright
  • Out of the Blackout
  • A Misalliance
  • The War Between the Tates
Mary Wesley, CBE (24 June 1912 – 30 December 2002) was a English novelist. She reportedly worked in MI5 during World War II.[citation needed]During her career, she became one of Britain's most successful novelists, selling three million copies of her books, including 10 best-sellers in the last 20 years of her life.

She wrote three children's books, Speaking Terms and The Sixth Seal (both 1969) and
More about Mary Wesley...