Start by marking “Recipes for Life: My Memories” as Want to Read:
Recipes for Life: My Memories

Recipes for Life: My Memories

Ever since her dazzling debut as Audra on The Big Valley, Linda Evans has charmed millions of television viewers around the world with her talent, her warmth, and her beauty. Through it all, Linda has remained unaffected, grounded, and deeply spiritual.

In Recipes for Life, Linda opens up her heart, her past, and her kitchen. She shares a revealing assortment of anecdotes
Published October 11th 2011 by Vanguard Press

To ask other readers questions about Recipes for Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Recipes for Life

Mom
Feb 26, 2012 Mom rated it it was amazing
What an excellent quick read!! I love the way Linda has presented her autobiography. The joining of memories and her favorite recipes along with relevant photos with each entry makes the book incredibly fun to read. This book unfolds as a chronological timeline, with only a few exceptions; she takes you from beginning to end entwining her career and private life. I love that the pictures are distributed throughout the book instead of being stuck in the middle as most books do. It alleviates comp ...more
Wendy Kendall
Oct 31, 2014 Wendy Kendall rated it it was amazing
Start with a large serving of a lifetime of memories including appearances around the world, interesting stories with friends, including many other celebrities, and loves of her life. Season it with many vibrant pictures that spice up the stories. Then sprinkle that with the author’s favorite recipes, as well as some recipes shared by her celebrity friends. Finally, stir in a great sense of humor, and then you’ll feast on this savory memoir by award-winning actress Linda Evans.

The stories about
Diane
Sep 28, 2011 Diane rated it really liked it
Hollywood memoirs are a dime a dozen, some salacious, some introspective. Linda Evans, who has been on the radar since her days as ingenue Audra Barkley on TV's The Big Valley in the 1960's, has written a unique memoir titled Recipes for Life: My Memories, that incorporates her love of cooking with her tales of living and working in Hollywood.

I was a big fan of The Big Valley and later Dynasty, which was a monster hit in the 1980s, and always thought that Evans was not only beautiful but also ta
Mary (BookHounds)
Oct 22, 2011 Mary (BookHounds) rated it really liked it
I am a memoir junkie and I love this twist that Evans gives to her latest book in this genre by including recipes that link her history with dishes she remembers. Anyone who has ever witnessed her acting ability and grace can see the direct link from her parent who were professional ballroom dancers during the 1940's and starts off with a recipe for hot dog stew that she used to eat when money was tight. She carries this thread through out the book by matching memories with the food she prepared ...more
Linda
Oct 27, 2011 Linda rated it really liked it
First of all, this is still a stunning woman who does seem to have been able to avoid most of the Hollywood traps despite a couple of high profile marriage failures. But Linda Evans doesn't few them as failures, just things that lasted as long as they are meant to.

There's not a lot of kiss and tell in here, not much that's down and dirty. What you do get are pieces of her life that often led to collecting or creating a recipe to commemorate an event or person in her life. This woman is a phenome
Maria
Oct 04, 2011 Maria rated it it was amazing
What I Can Tell You: I was so excited to see read this book. I was a big fan of Linda's during her Dynasty days. I loved everything about her. Her hair, her poise, your history with John Derek. Reading this book was like stepping back into my own past while reading about hers. Complete with a candid, lovely story, beautiful personal photos and recipes handed down through generations, this book is a wonderful read.

There are so many stories that I remember from my own childhood and the Star magazi
Joanne
Jan 31, 2012 Joanne rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. It's Linda's memoir, but she also has recipes after each short sweet chapter. Many of her life events tie into meals she had and enjoyed with family, friends or while traveling. She also gave credit where credit was due with recipes she borrowed from restaurants, other chefs or friends. Many times she gave her own little twist on how to change the recipe. One thing I really liked was that Linda was never mean or showy about any of her famous friends, she accepted peop ...more
Wendy
Sep 20, 2011 Wendy rated it really liked it
Shelves: nov-11
What a pleasure it was to read the memoir of one of my favorite celebrity's, Linda Evans.

She takes us from her childhood, early years of acting, her Dynasty years, including all of her accomplishments to present day. She incorporates pictures and recipes, collected over the years from people who have meant a great deal to her, with memories that have meant the most and made an impact on her life. We learn about her friendships, marriages, heartbreak and her inspiring spiritual journey.

A wonderf
Chris
Jul 07, 2016 Chris rated it really liked it
I loved Linda Evans from the shows "The Big Valley" and "Dynasty". In this book, she has many recollections from her life, and includes wonderful pictures, and a recipe at the end of each chapter, that is fitting to what she is remembering. I was amazed that the 4 wives of John Derek all were friends--she was wife number 3. I remembered all the press about her, when she had a kissing scene with Rock Hudson, and I really liked reading her version of what happened. And then I enjoyed reading about ...more
Grandma Weaver
Jun 06, 2012 Grandma Weaver rated it really liked it
I thought this was a very nice book. It seems she has always liked to cook and she has included several recipes in her story. I think she told her story and yet she didnt have anything bad to say about anyone. That was refreshing I thought. It was well written and I'd say if you like memoirs you will enjoy this book.
Nicole Bonia
Oct 11, 2011 Nicole Bonia rated it it was amazing
Recipes for Life is a beautiful book that should have wide appeal whether people are familiar with Linda Evans or not. The stories that shes tell are a little like chicken soup for the soul, and she is never anything less than charming, gracious and respectful of the people in her life. The recipes are rich, but for the most part are easy to make and to pair with other dishes for a meal.
Dave Jones
Nov 21, 2011 Dave Jones rated it liked it
Interesting quick read. A woman who can seem to be bad at anyone. After all, her best friends are all ex-wives of her former husband, John Derek. Plus lots of inside Hollywood and yummy recipes. Everything from the hot dog cassorole her mother made to one of the dishes she used to win "Hell's Kitchen". Plus she is easy on the eyes given all the pictures she includes.
Jamison
Dec 01, 2011 Jamison rated it really liked it
nice memoir with small, bite-size chapters, usually coupled with a relevant recipe.

evens ends up sounding clear headed her... there's surprising insight between her and rock hudson.

a quick read, and a light one. (well, as light as a book can be, with recipes covered in butter.)
karen
Dec 06, 2011 karen rated it liked it
Great recipes. Superficial about her life
Marie Buccellato
Aug 31, 2015 Marie Buccellato rated it really liked it
I've been a long time fan of Linda Evans & reading this book was truly a great experience. Lots of recipes to try as well. Thank you "Audra" & "Krystal"
Gail
Sep 07, 2016 Gail added it
Such a nice person!
Diane Dunham
Oct 23, 2012 Diane Dunham rated it it was amazing
Easy to read. Wish I could meet Linda Evans, as I it now seems I know her personally. Some very good recipes. The first one I'm going to try is the Butternut squash salad.
Shelly Nicholson
Jul 23, 2015 Shelly Nicholson rated it really liked it
My Mon gave me this book, and I actually enjoyed it! Easy fun read.
Michelle Ardillo
She sure has had an interesting life and she has a very positive attitude about all of life's ups and downs!
Nancy
Apr 09, 2012 Nancy rated it really liked it
Good read. She is a good writer. I loved her recipes. Didn't know she is a chef ... Tells about her personal life. I liked it.
Marlene Piekosz
Jun 03, 2012 Marlene Piekosz rated it liked it
I liked it
Lori
Dec 06, 2011 Lori rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult
Loved the memoir mixed with recipes.
Jacqueline115
Jan 07, 2012 Jacqueline115 rated it really liked it
an easy + clean hollywood read.
Mary
Sep 07, 2011 Mary rated it really liked it
Shelves: review-book, memoir
Linda Evans shares her memoirs and favorite recipes.
You can read my take here.
Amy
Mar 26, 2012 Amy rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography-actors
Interesting. Linda Evans weaves recipes into the story of her life.
Coco_Chanel
Coco_Chanel rated it liked it
Aug 11, 2014
Christa
Christa rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2013
Jennifer Kusakabe
Jennifer Kusakabe rated it liked it
Dec 24, 2012
Carole
Carole rated it it was ok
Mar 02, 2012
Angela Wilson
Angela Wilson rated it it was amazing
Nov 08, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Linda Evans (born on November 18, 1942) is an American actress known primarily for her roles on television. In the 1960s, she gained notice for playing Audra Barkley in the Western television series, The Big Valley (1965–1969). However she is most prominently known for the role of Krystle Carrington in the 1980s ABC prime time soap opera Dynasty, a role she played from 1981 to 1989.

Source: Wikiped
More about Linda Evans...