Start by marking “Hurt 2.0: Inside the World of Today's Teenagers” as Want to Read:
Hurt 2.0: Inside the World of Today's Teenagers

Hurt 2.0: Inside the World of Today's Teenagers (Youth, Family, and Culture)

4.03  ·  Rating Details  ·  159 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
A leading youth ministry expert updates and revises his groundbreaking bestseller, reflecting the latest research and including a unique focus on youth at society's margins.
Published June 1st 2011 by Baker Academic (first published October 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Hurt 2.0, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hurt 2.0

Jeff
Jun 27, 2013 Jeff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a former youth pastor I was always extremely frustrated that other youth pastors very rarely, if ever, read books on adolescent development. Most of the books consumed by youth pastors I knew were pretty shallow. They were filled with ideas about event and programs and contained horrible exegesis. This book was one of the few exceptions. Very good information for anyone working with, or raising teenagers.
Jim Gribnitz
May 20, 2014 Jim Gribnitz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
Fantastic book that gives the best snapshot I know of teen and child development in a practical way from a Christian perspective. He takes incredibly important issues to kids (i.e. identity formation) and explains why it is such a big deal and how to help form a healthy identity. Not a doomsday, naysaying book, but an incredibly practical and helpful one.

Warning: there are a few passages that get pretty deep and will require you to read it slowly and possibly re-read different sections. I think
Jared Barcelos
Clark attempts to describe the ways in which adults have abandoned the midadolescent population, the results of this abandonment, and what adults can do now to work towards a brighter adolescent future. This is his main argument, and in some ways, he strengthens this with evidence, but more often than not he attempts to make his argument by glorifying the past and by making bold generalizations. After some setup with the first three chapters, each subsequent chapter is supposed to outline the ef ...more
Liz
Jun 05, 2014 Liz rated it it was amazing
A professor/accomplished individual in this field wrote this book so it's a bit academic in style complete with method for his research & extensive bibliography. However, it's understandable and a must read really for any people working with teens. The ending of "what to do now" is short and overall you will probably desperately want some discussion (and high frustration at broken things like schools). I'm surprised he didn't go more into social media/technology/face in smartphones in their ...more
Robert Evans
Mar 08, 2016 Robert Evans rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A vital insight into the world of midadolescence providing a helpful framework of understanding to effectively engage in that space. A MUST read for anybody committed to "turn the tide of systemic abandonment" among our teens.
Britt Kramer
I have a lot I want to say about this book but no motivation to actually write out the whole thing. This book was not my forte. I didn't like it at all, and I wanted really badly to..
Hannah Shaw
Nov 15, 2014 Hannah Shaw rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A necessary read for anyone planning to work with teenagers or have kids of their own.
Allen O'Brien
Apr 14, 2012 Allen O'Brien rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hurt 2.0 talks about the systemic abandonment that the adolescents in our society feel. I believe that Clark's assessment is spot on; on the surface of things, adolescents learn to cope and come off as somewhat put-together. Underneath the surface, however, is a social reality with an entirely different world constructed out of necessity; a world that bears your consideration.

If you have teenagers, work with adolescents, or care at all about the future of our culture, this book is for you.
Maranatha
Jul 02, 2013 Maranatha rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: counseling
The book has a good description of the problems today's youth are facing. However, of those 210 pages before notes, bibliography and index with 186 pages describing problems of today's teens, there are then only twenty some pages devoted to finding a solution(s). This is clearly disappointing and inadequate.
Trudi
Oct 13, 2015 Trudi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a Gen Xer working with teens, I found this incredibly helpful and insightful! A must read.
Robin
Apr 23, 2013 Robin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-school
Lots of good thoughts, but a bit overwhelming and I found myself arguing with him a lot. Look up his lectures on youtube to get a better grasp on what he's saying.
Robert
Jun 15, 2013 Robert rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: education
Good read. It is well thought out and written. He has a lot of great ideas in this book. However, I found myself becoming annoyed by a number of assumptions he makes.
Michelle
Jan 29, 2012 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Anyone who works with young people should read this book.
Monica
Monica added it
Jul 17, 2016
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2016
Sarah Bender
Sarah Bender rated it liked it
Jul 10, 2016
Jordan
Jordan added it
Jul 04, 2016
Sarah Ketchum
Sarah Ketchum rated it really liked it
Jun 22, 2016
PJ
PJ added it
Jun 06, 2016
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
May 13, 2016
Kelsey
Kelsey rated it really liked it
May 12, 2016
Elizabeth Mulherron
Elizabeth Mulherron rated it really liked it
Jun 06, 2016
Joe Summers
Joe Summers rated it it was amazing
May 09, 2016
Eric
Eric marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Becky Albrinck
Becky Albrinck marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
Holly Racca
Holly Racca rated it liked it
Apr 21, 2016
Natasha Mahone
Natasha Mahone marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Joey
Joey rated it it was amazing
Apr 17, 2016
Mi Maci
Mi Maci marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
understanding adolescence 1 4 May 01, 2012 05:52AM
  • Sticky Faith, Youth Worker Edition: Practical Ideas to Nurture Long-Term Faith in Teenagers
  • Almost Christian: What the Faith of Our Teenagers Is Telling the American Church
  • Sustainable Youth Ministry: Why Most Youth Ministry Doesn't Last and What Your Church Can Do about It
  • Contemplative Youth Ministry: Practicing the Presence of Jesus
  • Your First Two Years in Youth Ministry: A Personal and Practical Guide to Starting Right
  • Soul Searching: The Religious and Spiritual Lives of American Teenagers
  • The Think Orange: Imagine the Impact When Church and Family Collide...
  • Youth Ministry 3.0: A Manifesto of Where We’ve Been, Where We Are and Where We Need to Go
  • Revisiting Relational Youth Ministry: From a Strategy of Influence to a Theology of Incarnation
  • You Lost Me: Why Young Christians Are Leaving Church... and Rethinking Faith
  • The Source of Life
  • A Marginal Jew: Rethinking the Historical Jesus, Volume I - The Roots of the Problem and the Person
  • Eight Theories of Religion
  • A Spirituality of Fundraising
  • The Millennials: Connecting to America's Largest Generation
  • Everyday Theology: How to Read Cultural Texts and Interpret Trends
  • Called: The Crisis and Promise of Following Jesus Today
Chap Clark (PhD, University of Denver)is professor and chair of the youth, family, and culture department at Fuller Theological Seminary, where he also directs the Student Leadership Project and is coordinator of Fuller Studio. He is on the teaching team at Harbor Christian Center church in Gig Harbor, Washington, is president of ParenTeen, and works closely with Young Life. Clark has authored or ...more
More about Chap Clark...

Youth, Family, and Culture (6 books)
  • Teenagers Matter: Making Student Ministry a Priority in the Church