Start by marking “Hurt 2.0: Inside the World of Today's Teenagers” as Want to Read:
Hurt 2.0: Inside the World of Today's Teenagers

Hurt 2.0: Inside the World of Today's Teenagers (Youth, Family, and Culture)

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  125 ratings  ·  12 reviews
A leading youth ministry expert updates and revises his groundbreaking bestseller, reflecting the latest research and including a unique focus on youth at society's margins.
Published June 1st 2011 by Baker Academic (first published October 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Hurt 2.0, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hurt 2.0

As a former youth pastor I was always extremely frustrated that other youth pastors very rarely, if ever, read books on adolescent development. Most of the books consumed by youth pastors I knew were pretty shallow. They were filled with ideas about event and programs and contained horrible exegesis. This book was one of the few exceptions. Very good information for anyone working with, or raising teenagers.
Jim Gribnitz
Fantastic book that gives the best snapshot I know of teen and child development in a practical way from a Christian perspective. He takes incredibly important issues to kids (i.e. identity formation) and explains why it is such a big deal and how to help form a healthy identity. Not a doomsday, naysaying book, but an incredibly practical and helpful one.

Warning: there are a few passages that get pretty deep and will require you to read it slowly and possibly re-read different sections. I think
Jared Barcelos
Clark attempts to describe the ways in which adults have abandoned the midadolescent population, the results of this abandonment, and what adults can do now to work towards a brighter adolescent future. This is his main argument, and in some ways, he strengthens this with evidence, but more often than not he attempts to make his argument by glorifying the past and by making bold generalizations. After some setup with the first three chapters, each subsequent chapter is supposed to outline the ef ...more
A professor/accomplished individual in this field wrote this book so it's a bit academic in style complete with method for his research & extensive bibliography. However, it's understandable and a must read really for any people working with teens. The ending of "what to do now" is short and overall you will probably desperately want some discussion (and high frustration at broken things like schools). I'm surprised he didn't go more into social media/technology/face in smartphones in their ...more
Britt Kramer
I have a lot I want to say about this book but no motivation to actually write out the whole thing. This book was not my forte. I didn't like it at all, and I wanted really badly to..
Hannah Shaw
A necessary read for anyone planning to work with teenagers or have kids of their own.
Allen O'Brien
Hurt 2.0 talks about the systemic abandonment that the adolescents in our society feel. I believe that Clark's assessment is spot on; on the surface of things, adolescents learn to cope and come off as somewhat put-together. Underneath the surface, however, is a social reality with an entirely different world constructed out of necessity; a world that bears your consideration.

If you have teenagers, work with adolescents, or care at all about the future of our culture, this book is for you.
The book has a good description of the problems today's youth are facing. However, of those 210 pages before notes, bibliography and index with 186 pages describing problems of today's teens, there are then only twenty some pages devoted to finding a solution(s). This is clearly disappointing and inadequate.
As a Gen Xer working with teens, I found this incredibly helpful and insightful! A must read.
Lots of good thoughts, but a bit overwhelming and I found myself arguing with him a lot. Look up his lectures on youtube to get a better grasp on what he's saying.
Good read. It is well thought out and written. He has a lot of great ideas in this book. However, I found myself becoming annoyed by a number of assumptions he makes.
Anyone who works with young people should read this book.
Josh Witry
Josh Witry marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2015
David James
David James is currently reading it
Nov 21, 2015
Karen marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2015
Epetteys marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2015
Aubrey Norton
Aubrey Norton marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2015
Katie McKay
Katie McKay is currently reading it
Nov 13, 2015
Minda Carpenter
Minda Carpenter marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2015
Jennifer is currently reading it
Nov 02, 2015
Jennifer Glasgow
Jennifer Glasgow marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2015
Tiffany is currently reading it
Oct 10, 2015
Sheridan marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2015
understanding adolescence 1 4 May 01, 2012 05:52AM
  • Sticky Faith, Youth Worker Edition: Practical Ideas to Nurture Long-Term Faith in Teenagers
  • Almost Christian: What the Faith of Our Teenagers Is Telling the American Church
  • Sustainable Youth Ministry: Why Most Youth Ministry Doesn't Last and What Your Church Can Do about It
  • Contemplative Youth Ministry: Practicing the Presence of Jesus
  • Soul Searching: The Religious and Spiritual Lives of American Teenagers
  • Your First Two Years in Youth Ministry: A Personal and Practical Guide to Starting Right
  • You Lost Me: Why Young Christians Are Leaving Church... and Rethinking Faith
  • Revisiting Relational Youth Ministry: From a Strategy of Influence to a Theology of Incarnation
  • Youth Ministry 3.0: A Manifesto of Where We’ve Been, Where We Are and Where We Need to Go
  • The Think Orange: Imagine the Impact When Church and Family Collide...
  • A Marginal Jew: Rethinking the Historical Jesus. Volume One, The Roots of the Problem and the Person (The Anchor Bible Reference Library)
  • Eight Theories of Religion
  • A Spirituality Of Fund Raising
  • The Millennials: Connecting to America's Largest Generation
  • The Text of the New Testament: Its Transmission, Corruption & Restoration
  • Everyday Theology: How to Read Cultural Texts and Interpret Trends
  • The Next Christendom: The Coming of Global Christianity
  • Washed and Waiting: Reflections on Christian Faithfulness and Homosexuality
Chap Clark (PhD, University of Denver)is professor and chair of the youth, family, and culture department at Fuller Theological Seminary, where he also directs the Student Leadership Project and is coordinator of Fuller Studio. He is on the teaching team at Harbor Christian Center church in Gig Harbor, Washington, is president of ParenTeen, and works closely with Young Life. Clark has authored or ...more
More about Chap Clark...

Youth, Family, and Culture (6 books)
  • Teenagers Matter: Making Student Ministry a Priority in the Church