Start by marking “The Woeful Second World War” as Want to Read:
The Woeful Second World War

The Woeful Second World War (Horrible Histories)

4.07  ·  Rating Details ·  1,220 Ratings  ·  58 Reviews
The Woeful Second World War presents the dire details of a war that affected almost everyone - from old men joining the Dad's Army to the 12 year olds defending Berlin to the bitter end. Find out who made a meal of maggots, or which soldiers were so smelly their enemies could sniff them out.
Published August 1st 1999 by Scholastic ltd

To ask other readers questions about The Woeful Second World War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Woeful Second World War

Apr 25, 2008 John rated it really liked it
My youngest bought this home from the school library and, over successive nights, read it to me... and mighty enjoyable it was too.

Anything that can get kids interested in history has to be a good thing.
Jul 02, 2011 Carmen rated it really liked it
Shelves: juvenile-fiction
As this book was written by an Englishman, it primarily discussed the World War as it occured in England. I thought it missed an opportunity to explain some of the causes and how it also affected tghe rest of Europe. What it did describe, it described well.
Aug 15, 2009 Pumsish rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
เหมือนเลม 1 (หมายถึงสงครามโลกครังที 1) ทีเลาเหตุการณสงครามคราวๆ แตเนนไปทีวิถีชีวิตอันยากลำบากของผูคนในยุคสงครามแทน
เปนหนังสือสำหรับเดกทีผูใหญกอานสนุกจริงๆ (หรือเฉพาะเรานะ?)
Sep 29, 2009 Elizabeth added it
Recommended to Elizabeth by: Sara
Shelves: world-war-ii
I thought this was an excellent book.

Up until this book my sole experience of Terry Deary was a free CD off a cereal packet--I think it was bits from Vicious Vikings--read by Deary himself. I wasn't impressed. OK, a wee bit of history was coming through. And it was entertaining. But it was hard to weed out the bad puns and jokey padding.

I've revised my opinion of him based on The Woeful Second World War. Although it doesn't really give you a clear chronological overview of the war, it achieves o
Sep 28, 2010 Matimate rated it liked it
Shelves: historical, humour, 2010
When I saw this book I grabbed it at once and well it was what it was. Lousy attempt to make serious things funny, but it worked nicely. I was laughing at some parts of the book too much centered on Allied forces. The target group is teenagers, who at least knows that there was some war running in the past and historical facts are butchered to the burned Adolf Hilters jaw. One should not expect the hardcore history. Instead you are given some "funny" facts like why boys were wearing short trouse ...more
Dec 07, 2010 Khoa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A sequel to the first world war book. This shows the real side of war. The disgusting side of war. Not like the one that the teachers tell you! The teachers can make the second world war like a watergun fight. Read this and find out the TRUTH about world war 2
Catherine Woodman
Jul 29, 2011 Catherine Woodman rated it liked it
Horrible Histories is a series of illustrated books published in the UK by Scholastic. They are designed to get children interested in history by concentrating on the trivial, unusual, gory, or unpleasant. They are exceptionally well loved by my history loving children
Erdem Karaadam
Aug 10, 2011 Erdem Karaadam rated it really liked it
It is a bit too woeful, sometimes it is a pain to read. Whoever had a good laugh from other books by the same author, this book is not of the kind. I felt really bad reading crimes agains humanity. Putting some jokes here and there did not/ can not lighten this topic.
Vanessa Kate
Nov 05, 2011 Vanessa Kate rated it really liked it
I borrowed this from a friend. I was actually reluctant because that time, I was doing a lot of things, I was busy at school.

It took me a long time to finish this book because I didn't have so much reading time. I really had fun reading this book. I laughed, I gasped, I scowled at nasty facts, and I learned so much. Who knew history could be this exciting. I recommend this to people who wants to learn about the Second World War and have fun while at it. I even found out some facts I didn't find
Cik Aini
Oct 15, 2011 Cik Aini rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Marvellous! Interesting stories, but what impacted it was the story of a Polish soldier who worked for Germany, hunting for Jewish people hiding. They went to a house where things were abandoned hurriedly and then, when they saw a ladder up to the attic, the Polish soldier actually went climbing the stairs and he saw 20 Jew women & children. When his leader asked him from below, he said there was no one and his acts save the Jews. Such humanity.
This is one of the darker Horrible Histories I have read. It isn't as lighthearted and has considerably less jokes / weird facts than others. However it is a good starting point for discussions and introductions to various topics related to WW2.
Jan 10, 2013 Nayantara rated it really liked it
There is really no better way to get kids interested in history than by giving them a Terry Deary Horrible Histories! I loved these books as a kid and I love to collect them now. Deary's take on history is hilarious and interesting. It may not all be true but you definitely learn something!
Mar 01, 2013 Lee rated it really liked it
I actually read this because my 9 year old left it lying on the table.

It was really interesting, I found out a lot about WW II, mostly where things happened and who was actually involved.

A really quick interesting read!
Mar 24, 2015 Leah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children/Teens into History
Recommended to Leah by: I subscribed from the TV advert
I subscribed to the series after watching an advert online, and read them as soon as they arrived, and couldn't wait for the next one to come out! They give such great facts about each time period and even on periods I knew about, the magazines contained information I had never heard before.

A great improvement on the last few magazines! I enjoyed this read, and even though I knew some of the facts, it was interesting and I was intrigued from beginning to end.

The only issue was that it was short,
Rory Scott Douglas
Dec 04, 2013 Rory Scott Douglas rated it liked it
As one of the original series of Terry Deary's Horrible Histories, "The Woeful Second World War" describes the timeline, causes and key points of the second world war in a humorous yet tasteful way that both appeals to older primary school students and brings home the terrible nature of war.

It begins with a run through of the key events of WWII in chronological order, interspersed with funny cartoons to avoid a simple list of dates. This is, most would agree, Deary's defining feature of his boo
Dec 31, 2013 Christopher rated it it was amazing
I think that horrible histories is a great factual and comedy book that is filled with interesting facts, funny pictures and and great jokes. I rated this a 5 star book because this is good for many ages that are interested in history.
Jun 01, 2014 Rrabarra rated it really liked it
Ahh, the second world war. A time of misery and fear in which people cowered in fear of even a slight shadow.
What I loved about this book was how STUPID and POINTLESS some people were when they were in fear. And I also loved the stories and sayings about things.
And I learned a lot, too. A really great piece of work by Terry Deary!
Sobia Be
Second World War the most horrible histories of of the war that involves civilians...the innocence of the victims, the vast number of them & the unbelievable cruelty of some of the fighters.
Rachael Hewison
Oct 20, 2014 Rachael Hewison rated it really liked it
I'm almost ashamed to say that I still haven't completed my Horrible Histories collection. Having been such an avid reader and collector growing up I made a list recently of how many I own and was shocked at how many I didn't have. Time to make amends, I thought. I am now the proud owner of another six, this being one of them.

You do forget if you've not read them in a while, just how gruesome they really are. This one was particularly so. It was full of death, torture and murder. Don't let that
Apr 05, 2015 Shruti rated it it was amazing

I know this book was meant to educate the kids in school of the second world War, in a more sophisticated language. How many even remember all the details today? So many facts, so many stories, I thoroughly enjoyed the straightforward account of events. Very cleverly written. Remember.
Feb 01, 2015 BenVW rated it really liked it
I think This Book Was very engaging and funny. My favorite part was when it was telling me about the brave animals in the war.
I did not like the fact that all te people in the war had a food shortage and had to eat the dogs and monkeys. A fact about Hitler is that people think that he is still alive hiding somewhere.
Mohammadreza Mohajeri
تاریخ هیچ گاه اینچنین ترسناک نبوده است!!!
کتاب بسیار جالب و هیجان انگیزی بود من این کتاب را برای کسانی که از جنگ بیزار اند توصیه نمی کنم!
Sep 08, 2015 Siobhan rated it really liked it
As a child history was one of my favourite school subjects thus making Horrible Histories the perfect books for me.

Nowadays children have the television series yet I belong to the older group that had the books. Personally, I believe any child who has an interest in history should give these books a go. They’re truly gripping and so many topics are covered.

Honestly, Horrible Histories are well worth a read.
Dec 29, 2015 Kathleen rated it really liked it
Okay let's talk about the Horrible Histories.

You may be aware of them as a TV show, which I highly, highly recommend, but you may not be aware that they are also books! Which I also recommend!

It's hard to talk about the Horrible Histories specifically. They're hysterical short nonfiction books consisting of maybe 120 pages tops? Aimed at children, they set out to tell you all about the really nasty side of history, which I am always down for. They're smart and funny with great illustrations, and
Camilla Tilly
Jan 22, 2016 Camilla Tilly rated it it was amazing
I read these books to get a laugh and to relax from heavy history literature. They are fun, entertaining, light reading. You only spend a couple of hours and then you have finished the book. Terry Deary manages to find not so common stories to teach the most avid wwii historian something as well. I have learned a lot of new facts from these books when I thought I knew it all.
This book is not as full of humour as the books are that only touch the Blitz. You can joke about your own people but it
May 25, 2016 Mark rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I used to love these books at school yes they have been going that long. Our local library closed and this was in the sale of books couldn't resist it as usual amongst the illustrations and comment I learnt a lot of interesting facts that you don't normally get to learn like why white underpants could be deadly in WW2 If you don't know you will have to read it yourself.
Silvia Iskandar
Jul 11, 2016 Silvia Iskandar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beli buku ini juga pada awalnya karena panik liat anak sendiri gak doyan baca. Kebetulan dia suka acara TV series-nya, jadi saya pikir ini bisa jadi jembatan untuk menumbuhkan minat baca. Bukunya penuh gambar, banyak model komik, atau tulisan tangan, pokoknya rame, walau hitam putih. Jadi menurut saya udah menarik banget kalau dibandingkan dengan Enid Blyton di Indonesia waktu jaman saya seumur dia.

Tapi ternyata dia kurang suka. Dan karena buku ini dibiarkan begitu saja tergeletak di mana2 di ru
Soobie's heartbroken
Good overview of WW2 because Germany isn't the only one who did terrible things to its enemy: the book also describes the bombing of Dresden by the allied forces.

As other books of the series, I feel it jumps from one topic to the other without going in too deep. And there are no references to where the author took that piece of information from.

I'm not sure I like all those play on words. Honestly, I'm not even sure if I actually understand what they means.

I wish it was translated into Italian,
Eui Young
Aug 01, 2016 Eui Young rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was actually not based on the flow of the war but the weird and bizarre things that happened during WW2. If I give an example, during the pacific war, American soldiers used the corps of Japanese troops as a meat shield. The Soviet army had deserters to march across a mine field.
In occupied Poland, there was an extermination camp called "Treblinka death camp", which the name of the road to its gas chamber was called "The road to heaven". As I'm pretty interested in wars, this book was
  • Disgusting Digestion
  • Violent Volcanoes (Horrible Geography)
  • The Gobsmacking Galaxy (The Knowledge)
  • Cleopatra and Her Asp
A former actor, theatre-director and drama teacher, Deary says he began writing when he was 29. Most famously, he is one of the authors of the Horrible Histories series of books popular among children for their disgusting details, gory information and humorous pictures and among adults for getting children interested in history. Books in the series have been widely translated into other languages ...more
More about Terry Deary...

Horrible Histories (1 - 10 of 42 books)
  • The Awesome Egyptians
  • The Groovy Greeks
  • The Rotten Romans
  • The Cut-throat Celts
  • The Vicious Vikings (Horrible Histories)
  • Angry Aztecs
  • The Measly Middle Ages
  • The Terrible Tudors
  • Even More Terrible Tudors (Horrible Histories)
  • The Slimy Stuarts (Horrible Histories)