Start by marking “The Woeful Second World War” as Want to Read:
The Woeful Second World War

The Woeful Second World War (Horrible Histories)

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  1,009 ratings  ·  43 reviews
The Woeful Second World War presents the dire details of a war that affected almost everyone - from old men joining the Dad's Army to the 12 year olds defending Berlin to the bitter end. Find out who made a meal of maggots, or which soldiers were so smelly their enemies could sniff them out.
Published August 1st 1999 by Scholastic ltd

To ask other readers questions about The Woeful Second World War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Woeful Second World War

Elizabeth
Sep 29, 2009 Elizabeth added it
Recommended to Elizabeth by: Sara
Shelves: world-war-ii
I thought this was an excellent book.

Up until this book my sole experience of Terry Deary was a free CD off a cereal packet--I think it was bits from Vicious Vikings--read by Deary himself. I wasn't impressed. OK, a wee bit of history was coming through. And it was entertaining. But it was hard to weed out the bad puns and jokey padding.

I've revised my opinion of him based on The Woeful Second World War. Although it doesn't really give you a clear chronological overview of the war, it achieves o
Rory Scott Douglas
As one of the original series of Terry Deary's Horrible Histories, "The Woeful Second World War" describes the timeline, causes and key points of the second world war in a humorous yet tasteful way that both appeals to older primary school students and brings home the terrible nature of war.

It begins with a run through of the key events of WWII in chronological order, interspersed with funny cartoons to avoid a simple list of dates. This is, most would agree, Deary's defining feature of his boo
Rachael Hewison
I'm almost ashamed to say that I still haven't completed my Horrible Histories collection. Having been such an avid reader and collector growing up I made a list recently of how many I own and was shocked at how many I didn't have. Time to make amends, I thought. I am now the proud owner of another six, this being one of them.

You do forget if you've not read them in a while, just how gruesome they really are. This one was particularly so. It was full of death, torture and murder. Don't let that
Nayantara
There is really no better way to get kids interested in history than by giving them a Terry Deary Horrible Histories! I loved these books as a kid and I love to collect them now. Deary's take on history is hilarious and interesting. It may not all be true but you definitely learn something!
Pumsish
เหมือนเลม 1 (หมายถึงสงครามโลกครังที 1) ทีเลาเหตุการณสงครามคราวๆ แตเนนไปทีวิถีชีวิตอันยากลำบากของผูคนในยุคสงครามแทน
เปนหนังสือสำหรับเดกทีผูใหญกอานสนุกจริงๆ (หรือเฉพาะเรานะ?)
Rrabarra
Ahh, the second world war. A time of misery and fear in which people cowered in fear of even a slight shadow.
What I loved about this book was how STUPID and POINTLESS some people were when they were in fear. And I also loved the stories and sayings about things.
And I learned a lot, too. A really great piece of work by Terry Deary!
Matimate
When I saw this book I grabbed it at once and well it was what it was. Lousy attempt to make serious things funny, but it worked nicely. I was laughing at some parts of the book too much centered on Allied forces. The target group is teenagers, who at least knows that there was some war running in the past and historical facts are butchered to the burned Adolf Hilters jaw. One should not expect the hardcore history. Instead you are given some "funny" facts like why boys were wearing short trouse ...more
Benvw
I think This Book Was very engaging and funny. My favorite part was when it was telling me about the brave animals in the war.
I did not like the fact that all te people in the war had a food shortage and had to eat the dogs and monkeys. A fact about Hitler is that people think that he is still alive hiding somewhere.
Sobia Be
Second World War the most horrible histories of all....one of the war that involves civilians...the innocence of the victims, the vast number of them & the unbelievable cruelty of some of the fighters.
ryatt
Horrible but Amazing

This book was a funny but true way to learn about the Second World War something that I adding understand the details of.
Alicia
I love Terry Deary. He doesn't talk down to kids and gives solid information along with a appropriate humor.
Leah
Mar 24, 2015 Leah rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children/Teens into History
Recommended to Leah by: I subscribed from the TV advert
I subscribed to the series after watching an advert online, and read them as soon as they arrived, and couldn't wait for the next one to come out! They give such great facts about each time period and even on periods I knew about, the magazines contained information I had never heard before.

A great improvement on the last few magazines! I enjoyed this read, and even though I knew some of the facts, it was interesting and I was intrigued from beginning to end.

The only issue was that it was short,
Suhayb
Great but not enough on the holocaust
Vanessa Kate
I borrowed this from a friend. I was actually reluctant because that time, I was doing a lot of things, I was busy at school.

It took me a long time to finish this book because I didn't have so much reading time. I really had fun reading this book. I laughed, I gasped, I scowled at nasty facts, and I learned so much. Who knew history could be this exciting. I recommend this to people who wants to learn about the Second World War and have fun while at it. I even found out some facts I didn't find
Cik Aini
Marvellous! Interesting stories, but what impacted it was the story of a Polish soldier who worked for Germany, hunting for Jewish people hiding. They went to a house where things were abandoned hurriedly and then, when they saw a ladder up to the attic, the Polish soldier actually went climbing the stairs and he saw 20 Jew women & children. When his leader asked him from below, he said there was no one and his acts save the Jews. Such humanity.
Teresa Torres
Great book. I know it's supposed to be for kids, but the information that it provides should be adquired by anyone.
Christopher
I think that horrible histories is a great factual and comedy book that is filled with interesting facts, funny pictures and and great jokes. I rated this a 5 star book because this is good for many ages that are interested in history.
Shruti Bhutani

I know this book was meant to educate the kids in school of the second world War, in a more sophisticated language. How many even remember all the details today? So many facts, so many stories, I thoroughly enjoyed the straightforward account of events. Very cleverly written. Remember.
Xerxes Anaximander Phoenixlight
Bored. Haha. I am never into manly reads like this. Author has kept his wits and wisecracks.
Catherine Woodman
Horrible Histories is a series of illustrated books published in the UK by Scholastic. They are designed to get children interested in history by concentrating on the trivial, unusual, gory, or unpleasant. They are exceptionally well loved by my history loving children
Erdem Karaadam
It is a bit too woeful, sometimes it is a pain to read. Whoever had a good laugh from other books by the same author, this book is not of the kind. I felt really bad reading crimes agains humanity. Putting some jokes here and there did not/ can not lighten this topic.
Khoa
A sequel to the first world war book. This shows the real side of war. The disgusting side of war. Not like the one that the teachers tell you! The teachers can make the second world war like a watergun fight. Read this and find out the TRUTH about world war 2
Carmen
As this book was written by an Englishman, it primarily discussed the World War as it occured in England. I thought it missed an opportunity to explain some of the causes and how it also affected tghe rest of Europe. What it did describe, it described well.
Sharkcrow
This is one of the darker Horrible Histories I have read. It isn't as lighthearted and has considerably less jokes / weird facts than others. However it is a good starting point for discussions and introductions to various topics related to WW2.
Lee
I actually read this because my 9 year old left it lying on the table.

It was really interesting, I found out a lot about WW II, mostly where things happened and who was actually involved.

A really quick interesting read!
John
My youngest bought this home from the school library and, over successive nights, read it to me... and mighty enjoyable it was too.

Anything that can get kids interested in history has to be a good thing.
Hazel
OMG! I loved these books! I had all of them from scholastic book orders when I was younger. They are a perfect way to get kids to learn some history. Fun and informative at the same time!
Guilherme
The book had major information about the world war 2, and minor stories and war lies. The bad thing about the book is that the information about the holocaust is in the end
Verdi
This is different from other history books because it "leaves the nasty bits in" and it's ridiculous. On almost every page there's a joke.
Abnoos
Nazis sewed two Jewish kids by wrists? Seriously Terry? You fell for it just like that and feed children with myth? Ok. Terry Deary is at least a funny author.
  • Disgusting Digestion
  • Cleopatra and Her ASP
  • Isaac Newton and His Apple
  • Al Capone and His Gang
  • Leonardo Da Vinci And His Super-Brain (Dead Famous)
  • William Shakespeare and His Dramatic Acts
  • Evolve Or Die (Horrible Science)
  • Raw
  • Violent Volcanoes (Horrible Geography)
  • You Wouldn't Want to Be a Roman Gladiator! (You Wouldn't Want To)
A former actor, theatre-director and drama teacher, Deary says he began writing when he was 29. Most famously, he is one of the authors of the Horrible Histories series of books popular among children for their disgusting details, gory information and humorous pictures and among adults for getting children interested in history. Books in the series have been widely translated into other languages ...more
More about Terry Deary...

Horrible Histories (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • The Awesome Egyptians
  • The Groovy Greeks
  • The Rotten Romans
  • The Cut-throat Celts
  • The Vicious Vikings (Horrible Histories)
  • Angry Aztecs
  • The Measly Middle Ages
  • The Terrible Tudors
  • Even More Terrible Tudors (Horrible Histories)
  • The Slimy Stuarts (Horrible Histories)
The Groovy Greeks The Rotten Romans The Awesome Egyptians The Vicious Vikings (Horrible Histories) The Terrible Tudors