Start by marking “Intent for a Nation: What Is Canada For?” as Want to Read:
Intent for a Nation: What Is Canada For?

Intent for a Nation: What Is Canada For?

"The public has no ideas how influential Canada is", says Michael Byers. "We've got one of the highest standards of living, a fully functioning public health system, and we're the largest source of oil and gas to the world's greatest superpower. We've got one of the largest economies on the planet, and we're the only G8 country with balanced books. We're a serious country. ...more
Published May 30th 2007 by Douglas & McIntyre

To ask other readers questions about Intent for a Nation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Intent for a Nation

May 20, 2008 added it
Shelves: reviews
[Editor's Note: Michael Byers holds the Canada Research Chair in Global Politics and International Law at the University of British Columbia and is a regular contributor to the Tyee, among other publications. The following is excerpted from his new book, which is available now.]

In 2004, the Canadian actor Paul Gross starred in a made-for-TV drama entitled H2O. Gross plays Tom McLaughlin, the charismatic son of a murdered Canadian prime minister, who takes over Canada at the behest of a group of
Jun 27, 2008 Grumpylibrarian rated it it was amazing
Admittedly I'm a left-leaning liberal (thoughts, not the political party), but I feel like this is the perfect book to spark interest and hope in Canadian policics.

Neo-conservatives might have issues with the liberal social policy advocated, but most Canadians aren't socially conservative. Non-issue, right? Maybe wrong. Canadian's aren't voting, we're not asserting our global relevance, and we're not watchdogging our government in a productive way.

Read this book and vote to avoid a trainwreck
Sep 25, 2010 Teghan rated it really liked it
A book that analyses Canada's role in world politics. I found it very insync with my own political views (which is one of the reasons I enjoyed it so much). The author writes from an interesting perspective: a Canadian who moved to the United States to work and then returned more than 10 years later, willingly giving back his Green card. Its an optimistic book that says that Canada, being a middle power has a great amount of power in our hands that we havent even begun to tap into. He urges Cana ...more
Scott Neigh
A progressive academic writing for a lay audience about Canadian foreign policy. Some useful recent history, a few good ideas and good positions, but all of that mixed in with the most grating kind of left nationalism and liberal/social democratic imperialism. There was a token mention of neoliberalism at one point, but regarding colonization and the second colonial wave that is neoliberalism as fundamental organizing principles for understanding our place in the world is completely beyond the s ...more
Julian Haigh
Jul 26, 2011 Julian Haigh rated it liked it
Timely, but as the front cover says: this is one optimistic book, but that's the point of it - our confidence leads us to greater leadership. What we are as Canadians is a microcosm for how different cultures can work together toward a positive future. We CAN, and this book embues us with some well needed motivation. The book certainly doesn't talk about the importance of integration with America, but does do wonderfully on talking about what we shouldn't be as cooperative on.
Jun 30, 2010 Ali rated it liked it
Shelves: politics, canadian, 2010
I think this is a very decent book about politics and foreign relations for the interested public. As a statement of policy and direction for the future I'd give it 4/5 stars. Policy wonks are going to find it very general, though - and reading it in 2010 (after a 2007 publication date), it did seem a bit dated.
Jan 22, 2016 Itisme rated it liked it
This book revealed to me some failings of federal governments of every stripe on the world stage and at home. It is only truly a good and compelling book in the final chapter.

This was a library loan.
Oct 25, 2008 Charlotte rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Loved this book. All Canadians should read it!! Liked this so much I bought a copy for Luke for Christmas.
Jan 13, 2009 Peter rated it liked it
Shelves: history
Michael Byers is a thoughtful, engaged and passionate analyst of Canadian Foreign Policy and National Identity. This is a worthwhile meditation on what Canada means or rather what it might mean.
David rated it did not like it
Oct 04, 2008
Cam rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2014
Glyn Longden
Glyn Longden rated it it was ok
Jul 25, 2011
Sarah rated it really liked it
Jul 04, 2013
TMR Staff Picks
TMR Staff Picks rated it it was amazing
Sep 02, 2013
Shackleton rated it it was ok
Jan 08, 2011
A rated it liked it
Dec 19, 2014
Rhys rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2013
Johnny rated it liked it
Feb 18, 2013
Courtney rated it really liked it
Mar 05, 2016
Calyn Shaw
Calyn Shaw rated it really liked it
Dec 02, 2012
Silas White
Silas White rated it liked it
Oct 14, 2013
A. W.
A. W. rated it really liked it
Jun 01, 2012
Tristan Austin
Tristan Austin rated it it was amazing
Jan 06, 2016
Brianna rated it it was amazing
Jul 21, 2010
Dianne rated it really liked it
Mar 30, 2016
Jeremy Vernon
Jeremy Vernon rated it did not like it
Jul 24, 2012
Soapy Smith
Soapy Smith rated it really liked it
Dec 09, 2008
Michael Byers is the author of the story collection The Coast of Good Intentions, a finalist for the PEN/Hemingway Award, and the acclaimed novel Long for This World, winner of the First Novel Award from Virginia Commonwealth University. Both were New York Times Notable Books. A former Stegner Fellow and Whiting Award winner, he teaches at the University of Michigan."
More about Michael Byers...