Start by marking “Stolen Away” as Want to Read:
Stolen Away

Stolen Away (Nathan Heller #6)

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  237 ratings  ·  27 reviews
March 1932. After the recently incarcerated Al Capone offers to negotiate the return of the kidnapped son of Charles Lindbergh, Nathan Heller of the Chicago P.D. is sent to Hopewell, New Jersey, as a police liaison. As a part of Lindbergh’s inner circle, Heller investigates crooks, cranks, socialites, and psychics in a frustrating, fruitless attempt to solve the case.
Max A
Published September 13th 2011 by AmazonEncore (first published April 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Stolen Away, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stolen Away

Amberjean
This was at least 200% longer than it should have been. The writing was painfully self-aware (it not being 1936, doing an unselfconscious Raymond Chandler might actually be physically impossible), the personal relationships were poorly handled, and the whole thing just didn't hang together very well. As I said, at a much shorter length, it might have been very entertaining, and it did have some wholesome midwestern charm, but overall, not so great.
Art
This book hit me like a speed bump as I raced through the Nathan Heller crime history series. I've invested some time getting to know Heller and the series and was looking forward to the continuing changes, development and growth that had taken place in the first four books. The series begins with the "Frank Nitti trilogy" and then moves into a much changed Heller and country post WWII. In the last book, Heller was a witness to the building of Las Vegas by organized crime. But now we drop back m ...more
HBalikov
Well, this is a pleasant shift. Collins starts off with P.I. Nate Heller actually showing his detective chops. We find some real sleuthing and reasoning before and after Nate gets a recommendation from Eliot Ness to help out the Lindberghs.

Just a reminder: Time Magazine lists the kidnapping of the Lindbergh's baby as the top crime of the 20th Century. http://content.time.com/time/specials...

In the depths of the Depression, 1932, Charles and Anne Morrow Lindbergh awoke to find their only child,
Willem van den Oever
Not a single Nathan Heller-book has started off as strong as “Stolen Away” does.
Opening with Heller doing some actual police work, the reader is brought along for the chase of a woman hastily carrying around a baby boy in downtown Chicago. This being 1932 and half of the world being obsessed with the kidnapping of Charles Lindbergh’s baby, Nathan is confident he might actually solve the case as he tracks woman and child through the windy city. It makes for a heart stopping, nerve wrecking passag
David Williams
Stolen Away is the fifth novel in the Nathan Heller series. In the opening pages of the story Detective Heller of the Chicago Police foils a kidnapping. He is then handpicked by Elliot Ness to go to New Jersey and help on the Lindbergh Kidnapping case. There is the belief that there may be a connection to the Chicago mob and Al Capone. Heller leaves for New Jersey and is pulled into the drama surrounding the most infamous kidnapping case of all time.

Collins is a great storyteller and he skillful
John
I first started reading this book in 1992, the year it was released. Half-way through, I came down with a nasty case of the flu. the book sat unread again, bookmark in place, for months. Over the next few years, I tried several times to finish it, but I had lost the narrative thread.

Twenty years later, I have started again from the beginning, and this time I have finally finished reading Stolen Away. It has aged well.

The Lindburgh kidnapping was a convoluted debacle, one of the all-time great s
Marley
I've read several books on the Lindbergh kidnapping and thought I was conversant in it (though I've obviously forgotten quite a bit over the years). Although Stolen Away is historical mystery, Max Allan Collins put it all together, and makes more sense of it than did the cops and the feds 70=years ago. Whatever really went down, Lindbergh was surely at fault for the botched investigation. Much research went into the book as per the "I Owe Them One" at the close. (And no, I don't think either he ...more
Michael Shaoul
Just a little much

As a stand-alone perhaps this book would work but as part of a series that shifts the action back to before the first novel it just leaves too many hanging threads for Heller. As usual the true crime is fascinating and the solution imaginative but more than a few times I felt like muttering "give me a break".
Irenic
Found this in the Kindle store and ordered a sample. Then I absolutely had to know what happens next and ordered the book. Nate is a Chicago police officer in the early 1930's, who thinks a suspicious looking woman with baby might be the kidnapped Charles Lindburgh Jr. and kidnapper. Al Capone, currently serving time in a Cook County jail has offered his services in finding the child.
This alone would catch my interest. The story is narrated by Nate, who's voice is very 30's-era, hard-bitten dete
Jeff J.
Another remarkable historical mystery from the prolific Collins. In this case Nathan Heller takes on the kidnapping of the Lindbergh baby. As always Collins includes a comprehensive afterword listing his sources and discussing where he departed from historical fact. Recommended!
Alicia
Oct 07, 2012 Alicia is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I'm up and down about this historical mystery. It's my first in the Heller series. I'm halfway through; much of it seems contrived, lots of forced emotions are woven into sentences and often times I have the feeling that I 'should' be reacting a certain way emotionally to the text, rather than experiencing without blatant coercion. I was unfamiliar with the Lindbergh case, which seemed to carry the weight of nearly all my surprise or feelings of suspense. I will say, though I find myself laughin ...more
Denise Dougherty
Never boring and always involves a notorious crime of the 20th century. This story is about the Lindbergh kidnapping and weaves in more than the usual suspects. Interesting conclusion that, as usual, causes a "hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm" as you finish the last sentence.

DD@PHila
Sandy Carmichael
This is a fictional work about the Lindbergh kidnapping in the '30's. Interesting as historical facts are correct but a little rambling.
Monica
The stuff about the Lindbergh kidnapping was fascinating. The investigation by the New Jersey police and others was a total cock up. The turf wars and political posturing by all concerned, including Charles Lindbergh, guaranteed that that poor child never had a chance, once he was taken.

The Heller character is till interesting though the faux noir thing wears a bit thin for me. And his sex life is just plain silly. Evalyn Walsh MacLean on the floor(s) of her mansions? If only....and how is it th
Bruce
I really liked this story, and it is one of my favorite Nate Heller books. It is the story of the Lindbergh baby's kidnapping, and I learned a lot about the historical characters involved. As always, Collins has a unique perspective on what happened and why. I researched the history of the kidnapping (which is what a good book like this should cause you to do) and was surprised to fine that Collins conclusions are considered plausible even if they are not probable. Highly recommend this book for ...more
Mary
This series was nowhere on my radar but once I started reading them ( can't remember what brought them to my attention) I was hooked. I'm a sucker for period fiction, and this is a great period: pre-, during, and post WW2 Chicago. The author mixes in real characters and events with the fictional detective world weary Nathan Heller. Each book has prompted me to look up the real people and events described. Plus they are page turners! Highly recommended.
Joan

A quick read with an awful lot of characters. The story (fiction)was OK but the history of the kidnapping of the Lindbergh baby was very interesting. I will be looking to read some non fiction pieces about the kidnapping and the author did provide some sources.
Katherine
This is my first book by MAC, it very much has an Ellery Queen, mystery vibe. You can tell a lot of research went into the fictional piece of work. It could have been shorter, but I did find it very interesting, and will read more by this author.
Sharon Holford

The is about the Lindbergh kidnapping. I didn't remember much about it or how it resolved except for the conviction of Hauptmann. Seems that Lindbergh really messed up the whole show. Again, Collins has entertained and informed.
Trudy
Max Allan Collins has put his detective Nathan Heller on the trailer of the Lindbergh baby kidnapper. Though the book seems overly long, it is obviously well-researched. Another interesting read.
Cinhon
Even though you totally know the outcome when you open the cover, you'll still find yourself wishing...hoping...it sent me to the library to read Anne Lindbergh's diaries.
Elizabeth

Slow and plodding compared to the other Heller books. Felt much more forced and non-sensical.
Ming Siu
Fascinating tale that plumbs the many theories and characters for all they're worth.
Sally Stevenson
Fascinating fictionalized account of the Lindbergh kidnapping.
Thomas D Sinex
Very good series solidly based on historical sources...
Maurice J
See my review of Bye, Bye, Baby, by Max Allen Collins.
Addie
too hard to understand!!!!!!
Pam
Pam added it
Dec 19, 2014
  • Dead Street (Hard Case Crime #37)
  • Top of The Heap (Hard Case Crime, #3)
  • Dying in the Dark (Tamara Hayle, #7)
  • Stolen Lives (Jade de Jong, #2)
  • If I Can't Have You
  • Gift Collection: D is for Deadbeat / E is for Evidence / F is for Fugitive
  • The Case Of The Spurious Spinster
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • Murder on the Yellow Brick Road (Toby Peters, #2)
  • The Master of Verona (Star-Cross'd #1)
  • The Betrayer
  • Antiques Chop (A Trash 'n' Treasures Mystery, #7)
  • More From the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency: Blue Shoes and Happiness / The Good Husband of Zebra Drive
  • Mozart's Wife
  • Kill the Shogun (Matsuyama Kaze, #3)
  • One More Body
  • The Mammoth Book of Best Crime Comics
  • Self's Deception (Gerhard Self #2)
12014
Received the Shamus Award, "The Eye" (Lifetime achievment award) in 2006.

He has also published under the name Patrick Culhane. He and his wife, Barbara Collins, have written several books together. Some of them are published under the name Barbara Allan.

Book Awards
Shamus Awards Best Novel winner (1984) : True Detective
Shamus Awards Best Novel winner (1992) : Stolen Away
Shamus Awards Best Novel nom
More about Max Allan Collins...
Supreme Justice Bones Buried Deep (Bones, #1) Road to Perdition Sin City (CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, #2) The Mummy