Start by marking “Stolen Away” as Want to Read:
Stolen Away

Stolen Away (Nathan Heller #6)

March 1932. After the recently incarcerated Al Capone offers to negotiate the return of the kidnapped son of Charles Lindbergh, Nathan Heller of the Chicago P.D. is sent to Hopewell, New Jersey, as a police liaison. As a part of Lindbergh’s inner circle, Heller investigates crooks, cranks, socialites, and psychics in a frustrating, fruitless attempt to solve the case.
Max A
Published September 13th 2011 by AmazonEncore (first published May 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Stolen Away, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stolen Away

Amberjean
Feb 22, 2009 Amberjean rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was at least 200% longer than it should have been. The writing was painfully self-aware (it not being 1936, doing an unselfconscious Raymond Chandler might actually be physically impossible), the personal relationships were poorly handled, and the whole thing just didn't hang together very well. As I said, at a much shorter length, it might have been very entertaining, and it did have some wholesome midwestern charm, but overall, not so great.
Art
Feb 12, 2014 Art rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book hit me like a speed bump as I raced through the Nathan Heller crime history series. I've invested some time getting to know Heller and the series and was looking forward to the continuing changes, development and growth that had taken place in the first four books. The series begins with the "Frank Nitti trilogy" and then moves into a much changed Heller and country post WWII. In the last book, Heller was a witness to the building of Las Vegas by organized crime. But now we drop back m ...more
Darcey Tomasino
Jul 15, 2017 Darcey Tomasino rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating series

I really like this series, as I am a fan of well-researched historical fiction. This particular novel is jam-packed with characters and events, almost overwhelmingly so. However, that just adds to the intrigue of the Lindbergh case, which was convoluted and complex. As is true of several of Collins' novels, there is so much information that I believe many authors would have made this into two books. I'm glad he didn't. I feel like I get to know the characters better. I feel inv
Willem van den Oever
Not a single Nathan Heller-book has started off as strong as “Stolen Away” does.
Opening with Heller doing some actual police work, the reader is brought along for the chase of a woman hastily carrying around a baby boy in downtown Chicago. This being 1932 and half of the world being obsessed with the kidnapping of Charles Lindbergh’s baby, Nathan is confident he might actually solve the case as he tracks woman and child through the windy city. It makes for a heart stopping, nerve wrecking passag
HBalikov
Dec 29, 2013 HBalikov rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well, this is a pleasant shift. Collins starts off with P.I. Nate Heller actually showing his detective chops. We find some real sleuthing and reasoning before and after Nate gets a recommendation from Eliot Ness to help out the Lindberghs.

Just a reminder: Time Magazine lists the kidnapping of the Lindbergh's baby as the top crime of the 20th Century. http://content.time.com/time/specials...

In the depths of the Depression, 1932, Charles and Anne Morrow Lindbergh awoke to find their only child,
Todd Stockslager
Jun 09, 2015 Todd Stockslager rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Mystery novel based on the Lindbergh kidnapping case, populated with real-life characters like Eliot Ness and Al Capone, as well as the Lindberghs.

Charles Lindbergh does not fair well here, with his micro-mismanaging of the investigation and the New Jersey State Police come in for a fair share of abuse for their incompetence.

Collins assertion is that the kidnapping was masterminded by Al Capone from prison to give him the chance to "solve" the crime and earn his way out of prison. But when it di
John
Dec 23, 2012 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I first started reading this book in 1992, the year it was released. Half-way through, I came down with a nasty case of the flu. the book sat unread again, bookmark in place, for months. Over the next few years, I tried several times to finish it, but I had lost the narrative thread.

Twenty years later, I have started again from the beginning, and this time I have finally finished reading Stolen Away. It has aged well.

The Lindburgh kidnapping was a convoluted debacle, one of the all-time great s
David Williams
Feb 18, 2012 David Williams rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stolen Away is the fifth novel in the Nathan Heller series. In the opening pages of the story Detective Heller of the Chicago Police foils a kidnapping. He is then handpicked by Elliot Ness to go to New Jersey and help on the Lindbergh Kidnapping case. There is the belief that there may be a connection to the Chicago mob and Al Capone. Heller leaves for New Jersey and is pulled into the drama surrounding the most infamous kidnapping case of all time.

Collins is a great storyteller and he skillful
Jim Thomas
Aug 26, 2015 Jim Thomas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2015
Perhaps 3 1/2 points or stars. Seemed a bit long and slow at times but Collins can write with intensity when needed and if the rest of the novel had been the equal of the last part, it might be worth 4 1/2 stars. The denouement is terrific!

Also this was my 1st Heller book and what's fascinating and unendingly interesting is how he sets his stories in past history of true crime cases. So the hero gets to immerse himself in some of the most famous of all cases, this one being the Lindberg baby cas
Marley
Sep 01, 2013 Marley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read several books on the Lindbergh kidnapping and thought I was conversant in it (though I've obviously forgotten quite a bit over the years). Although Stolen Away is historical mystery, Max Allan Collins put it all together, and makes more sense of it than did the cops and the feds 70=years ago. Whatever really went down, Lindbergh was surely at fault for the botched investigation. Much research went into the book as per the "I Owe Them One" at the close. (And no, I don't think either he ...more
Irenic
Jan 28, 2012 Irenic rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Found this in the Kindle store and ordered a sample. Then I absolutely had to know what happens next and ordered the book. Nate is a Chicago police officer in the early 1930's, who thinks a suspicious looking woman with baby might be the kidnapped Charles Lindburgh Jr. and kidnapper. Al Capone, currently serving time in a Cook County jail has offered his services in finding the child.
This alone would catch my interest. The story is narrated by Nate, who's voice is very 30's-era, hard-bitten dete
Alicia
Oct 07, 2012 Alicia is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I'm up and down about this historical mystery. It's my first in the Heller series. I'm halfway through; much of it seems contrived, lots of forced emotions are woven into sentences and often times I have the feeling that I 'should' be reacting a certain way emotionally to the text, rather than experiencing without blatant coercion. I was unfamiliar with the Lindbergh case, which seemed to carry the weight of nearly all my surprise or feelings of suspense. I will say, though I find myself laughin ...more
Bruce
Apr 21, 2013 Bruce rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this story, and it is one of my favorite Nate Heller books. It is the story of the Lindbergh baby's kidnapping, and I learned a lot about the historical characters involved. As always, Collins has a unique perspective on what happened and why. I researched the history of the kidnapping (which is what a good book like this should cause you to do) and was surprised to fine that Collins conclusions are considered plausible even if they are not probable. Highly recommend this book for ...more
Monica
The stuff about the Lindbergh kidnapping was fascinating. The investigation by the New Jersey police and others was a total cock up. The turf wars and political posturing by all concerned, including Charles Lindbergh, guaranteed that that poor child never had a chance, once he was taken.

The Heller character is till interesting though the faux noir thing wears a bit thin for me. And his sex life is just plain silly. Evalyn Walsh MacLean on the floor(s) of her mansions? If only....and how is it th
Mary
Mar 30, 2013 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This series was nowhere on my radar but once I started reading them ( can't remember what brought them to my attention) I was hooked. I'm a sucker for period fiction, and this is a great period: pre-, during, and post WW2 Chicago. The author mixes in real characters and events with the fictional detective world weary Nathan Heller. Each book has prompted me to look up the real people and events described. Plus they are page turners! Highly recommended.
Michael Brown
As in my first comments, this book was too long and overall boring. It seems that Collins tried too hard to put Heller into the action and had him all over the place. There has been a lot said about the botched defense and corrupt police/prosecutor aspects of the Hauptmann case and they are detailed here as a work of fiction. Since most if not all of the players are dead Collins could place things as he wanted. So far not the best of the series in my opinion.
Michael Shaoul
Just a little much

As a stand-alone perhaps this book would work but as part of a series that shifts the action back to before the first novel it just leaves too many hanging threads for Heller. As usual the true crime is fascinating and the solution imaginative but more than a few times I felt like muttering "give me a break".
Denise Dougherty
Never boring and always involves a notorious crime of the 20th century. This story is about the Lindbergh kidnapping and weaves in more than the usual suspects. Interesting conclusion that, as usual, causes a "hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm" as you finish the last sentence.

DD@PHila
Jeff J.
Aug 05, 2014 Jeff J. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another remarkable historical mystery from the prolific Collins. In this case Nathan Heller takes on the kidnapping of the Lindbergh baby. As always Collins includes a comprehensive afterword listing his sources and discussing where he departed from historical fact. Recommended!
Joan
Nov 15, 2012 Joan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

A quick read with an awful lot of characters. The story (fiction)was OK but the history of the kidnapping of the Lindbergh baby was very interesting. I will be looking to read some non fiction pieces about the kidnapping and the author did provide some sources.
Sharon Holford
Sep 24, 2012 Sharon Holford rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

The is about the Lindbergh kidnapping. I didn't remember much about it or how it resolved except for the conviction of Hauptmann. Seems that Lindbergh really messed up the whole show. Again, Collins has entertained and informed.
Katherine
Jun 30, 2013 Katherine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my first book by MAC, it very much has an Ellery Queen, mystery vibe. You can tell a lot of research went into the fictional piece of work. It could have been shorter, but I did find it very interesting, and will read more by this author.
John
Feb 20, 2015 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: noir
Historical fiction. Based on the Lindbergh kidnapping. Great idea for a novel but too many details. And too convoluted. Not as good as the first couple Heller books.
Maurice J
Aug 16, 2012 Maurice J rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
See my review of Bye, Bye, Baby, by Max Allen Collins.
Sally Stevenson
Sep 10, 2011 Sally Stevenson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating fictionalized account of the Lindbergh kidnapping.
Trudy
Jul 06, 2013 Trudy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Max Allan Collins has put his detective Nathan Heller on the trailer of the Lindbergh baby kidnapper. Though the book seems overly long, it is obviously well-researched. Another interesting read.
Cindy
Mar 19, 2008 Cindy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even though you totally know the outcome when you open the cover, you'll still find yourself wishing...hoping...it sent me to the library to read Anne Lindbergh's diaries.
Thomas D Sinex
Jun 08, 2012 Thomas D Sinex rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good series solidly based on historical sources...
Jeffrey Cavanaugh
Although I liked the novel, Heller's foray into the twists and turns of the Lindbergh kidnapping ended up being way too long a slog for more than three stars.
Sandy Carmichael
This is a fictional work about the Lindbergh kidnapping in the '30's. Interesting as historical facts are correct but a little rambling.
  • Dead Street  (Hard Case Crime #37)
  • Antiques Chop (A Trash 'n' Treasures Mystery, #7)
  • The Divided Child
  • Top of The Heap (Cool and Lamb #13)
  • Dying in the Dark (Tamara Hayle, #7)
  • When One Man Dies (Jackson Donne, #1)
  • Top Suspense: 13 Classic Stories By 12 Masters Of The Genre
  • Stolen Lives (Jade de Jong, #2)
  • If I Can't Have You
  • More Beer
  • The Mammoth Book Of Pulp Fiction
  • The Mammoth Book of Best Crime Comics
  • Build My Gallows High
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • The Case Of The Spurious Spinster
  • Gift Collection: D is for Deadbeat / E is for Evidence / F is for Fugitive
  • The Posthumous Man
  • The Origin of Evil (Ellery Queen Detective, #22)
12014
Received the Shamus Award, "The Eye" (Lifetime achievment award) in 2006.

He has also published under the name Patrick Culhane. He and his wife, Barbara Collins, have written several books together. Some of them are published under the name Barbara Allan.

Book Awards
Shamus Awards Best Novel winner (1984) : True Detective
Shamus Awards Best Novel winner (1992) : Stolen Away
Shamus Awards Best Novel nom
More about Max Allan Collins...

Nathan Heller (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • True Detective (Nathan Heller, #1)
  • True Crime (Nathan Heller, #2)
  • The Million Dollar Wound (Nathan Heller, #3)
  • Neon Mirage (Nathan Heller, #4)
  • Carnal Hours (Nathan Heller, #6)
  • Blood and Thunder (Nathan Heller, #8)
  • Damned in Paradise (Nathan Heller, #9)
  • Flying Blind (Nathan Heller #10)
  • Majic Man (Nathan Heller, #11)
  • Angel in Black (Nathan Heller, #12)