Start by marking “Tales of Terror and Mystery” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
Tales of Terror and My...

Arthur Conan Doyle

Tales of Terror and Mystery

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  674 ratings  ·  71 reviews
This volume presents some of Conan Doyle s unduly neglected masterworks. Each begins in a quietly factual way, making all the more dramatic the crescendo of fear and puzzlement that ensues as each new circumstance is revealed. Even without his supremely logical brain child, Sherlock Holmes, Conan Doyle shows that his tales are unbeatable for thrills and excitement.

Contents
ebook, Nook edition, 0 pages
Published April 10th 2011 by Syed Arshad Gillani (first published January 1st 1913)

To ask other readers questions about Tales of Terror and Mystery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tales of Terror and Mystery

Batgrl (Not Trusting GR With My Reviews/Shelves Now)
I've long been a fan of Sherlock Holmes, but have only read bits and pieces of Doyle's other works. I know a lot are supposed to be (or so critcs will say) a bit pulpy, but this isn't something that bothers me. I enjoy a bit of melodrama, even if it's over the top at times - and Doyle definitely has a tendency to be over the top with his action-adventure stories, and his romances. This particular book contains twelve short stories - six under the section titled tales of terror and six under myst ...more
Joe
I seem to find myself on a bit of a Sir Arthur Conan Doyle kick lately. I've been throughly enjoying his work but wanted to take a short break from Sherlock Holmes. What is an avid reader to do? Why, pick up "Tales of Terror and Mystery", of course!

This volume is broken up into two parts. The first half is tales of terror (you don't say!), and the second, tales of mystery (no, really??!!). I adored the tales of terror and was either indifferent or disliked the tales of mystery. Who'd have though
Marvin
The perfect book for those who think Arthur Conan Doyle only wrote stories about Sherlock Holmes. This collection, divided into "Tales of Terror" and "Tales of Mystery", strengthens the argument that Doyle would have been remembered even if he did not create the famous detective. I prefer the tales of terror over the mystery, especially " The Horrors of The Height" and "The Brazilian Cat".
Ivon
Ini buku kubeli secara tidak sengaja-- tanpa ancang-ancang maupun rencana untuk beli ini sebelumnya.

Tapi untunglah, aku membelinya.

Buku ini berisi 13 kisah-kisah pendek dengan tema misteri, yang kemudian dibagi jadi dua bagian: bagian pertama, "Terror", berisi cerpen2 fokus pada gejolak batin serta kengerian yang dihadapi tokoh utamanya, sementara satunya, "Mystery", fokus pada inti penyelesaian (istilah yang lebih keren: pemecahan) sebuah kasus misterius, dengan pelaku, sebab, tujuan, dan pros
Simon
If you are a fan of Arthur Conan Doyle or just a fan of Sherlock Holmes, you will probably come across this book and read it at some point. Doyle didn't write too many mystery stories that did NOT involve Sherlock Holmes, and these are some of them.

The book is divided into two large sections - Tales of Terror and Tales of Mystery. As is well-known, Doyle was a fanatic spiritualist, and many of the tales of terror deal with some strange stuff - weird creatures living in the upper atmosphere, for
Cindy Barnett
No cussing, graphic violence or sex - and there can still be mystery and a little 'looking back' fun. Who knew!?! ☺
Cheryl
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle wrote a dozen dark, foreboding tales in 1923 absent his cerebral sleuth, Sherlock Holmes. Fascinating premises delivered in twenty pages on the average, the stories invite the curious reader to mine the author's writing prior to his most famous character.

The book is tellingly partitioned into tales of horror and of mystery. The circumstances and clues are reminiscent of the Holmes' series, but without his cunning, the reader is enticed to step into his formitable shoes! Ha
Meta Morfillah
Judul: Tales of terror and mystery
Penulis: Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Penerjemah: Airien Kusumawardani
Penerbit: Bukune
ISBN: 602-220-067-9
Dimensi: 340 hlm; 14 x 20 cm

Terdapat 12 cerita pendek yang dimuat dalam buku ini. Kisah-kisah tersebut dibagi menjadi dua bagian.

Kisah-kisah Teror
1. Corong kulit
Menceritakan alat penyiksaan berupa corong berbahan kulit, yang mampu merekonstruksi peristiwa kejam zaman dulu.

2. Ruang bawah tanah baru
Kematian Mr. Kennedy di dalam ruang bawah tanah yang baru ditemukan o
Cathrine Bonham
Conan Doyle excells at the Short Story. Even without Holmes Doyle's natural detuctive reasoning skills come through in this collection of Mystery and Horror stories.
Zilch22
love his writing, but found the ones with the monsters a bit weird. i'm usually very scared of anything horror, but this is more like o'henry than stephen king.
CJ
If you want horror, read Lovecraft. If you want Mystery, read one of the Sherlock Holmes series. Skip this one.
Megga wulandari
Senangnya nemuin buku ini.. :)
Tales of Terror and Mystery

review sebelumnya mungkin udah banyak banget detail yang di sampaikan mengenai buku ini. Karena sebagai pecinta buku karangannya sir arthur conan doyle,saya tergolong telat, tau buku ini ada di muka bumi .. #hehehe baru sekarang deh bisa sedikit nambah2in review kalian semua.

Buku yang saya baca ini terdiri dari 12 judul yang terbagi dua , 6 kisah terror dan 6 lainnya kisah mystery #mpe dihitung berkali2 karena ada 1 reviewer yang nulis jud
Mike
I picked up this little volume after completing Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes stories to get a taste for his other works. It’s a fun little read, which the title fully describes with simple brevity. If you are neither a fan of horror stories nor a fan of mystery, then this is not the book for you. No false advertising here. If you enjoy suspense, the eerie, or glimpses into the darker shadows of our world, then you’ll find the stories entertaining enough.

The thirteen stories are sepa
Mutia
Baca yang terjemahan, kebetulan menemukan naskah aslinya di Project Gutenberg. Jadi menyesal beli :/

Yang saya pernah dengar, katanya ada 13 cerita (di edisi aslinya), tapi gak tahu juga, masih dari Wikipedia sih.

Yang cukup membingungkan adalah '82 diterjemahkan menjadi 1982 di terbitan Bukunè (halaman 9). Padahal setahu saya buku ini keluar tahun 1927. Apa iya Doyle bisa menulis sesuatu yang katanya tahun 1982? Mungkin seharusnya 1882? Saya bingung. Tapi jujur, kalau tahu ini ada di Project Gute
Leew49
This collection of Conan Doyle short stories is divided in two parts: six tales of "terror," and six tales of mystery. The influence of Edgar Allen Poe on Doyle's writing is evident, esp in "The Horror of the Heights" and "The New Catacomb." Of course the character of Sherlock Holmes was inspired to some extent by Poe's Dupin, though Doyle gave most of the credit to his former instructor Dr Joseph Bell. In two of the mysteries, Holmes seems to be rather slyly alluded to by Doyle, who did at leas ...more
Marsha
There actually isn't much in the way of terror here. Time has a way of reducing old scary tales to amusing anecdotes. Also, Mr. Doyle reveals just a bit too much of a fascination with the inventions of the late 19th and early 20th century. Stories that revolve around the workings of a monoplane, train and phonograph show a keen interest in newfangled toys that detracts a little from the emotional tenor of his tales.

But the stories are well told, even if some of them telegraph their endings quite
Bill
Reviewers have suggested that the tales of terror in this Conan Doyle collection show that these themes are no longer frightening to us - monsters in the high altitudes? Something that has absorbed the bad vibes of its history? Being locked in dark and close places? Monstrous creatures that have somehow survived? Wild cats – lions, tigers, pumas, jaguars?

This is the very stuff of our fascination with the outré the bizarre, the unexplained – the very stuff of horror – fantasy or sci-fi. Didn’t t
Vincent O'Neil
An urim and thummim. A Paul Veroner monoplane with a ten-cylinder rotary Robur. The catacombs of Rome. Turkish daggers. A Rochdale locomotive and all the train schedules of England. A coleopterist.

What have these unrelated and obscure items have to do with one another? They make up only the smallest niche imaginable in the vast knowledge of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle when he wrote Tales of Terror and Mystery.

Doyle is most famous for Sherlock Holmes, but those tales occupy only one shelf of his trem
Jack Wright
Not having read anything by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle before, I wasn't sure what I was in for in either the Terror or the Mystery realm. The "Terror" stories were a combination of both turn of the century "weird" fiction and "yeah, that would be terrifying." It was a decent collection and while not "I can't close my eyes because I'm afraid to sleep/ I hate you Stephen King" type of terror, they were very entertaining.

The "Mystery" stories were also very entertaining. Since they are all short storie
Jlnpeacock
The series of short stories were very interesting and reflective of the time period in which it was written, meaning that since the themes had been introduced by Doyle they have been overused so that the reader knows what to expect. Because the style of writing is so good it makes the book highly enjoyable even if the endings are not startling. It was well worth the time and provided a good level of entertainment.
Henrietta Mojžišová
They are like stories of Sherlock Holmes but without Sherlock Holmes. Some were better some less. But overall, it was good reading and as always there were some hidden secrets until the end.

And yes, The lost special reminds me Empthy Hearse of Sherlock series...
Alfiah Mega
Kalau semua isinya narasi, aku pasti kasih 4 atau bahkan 5. Kurang paham sama novel terjemahan abad 19, latar Inggris di abad 19, aku kurang bisa berimajinasi dengan baik.
Sylvia Johnson
It took me to a time when exploration of the earth made the imagination run wild. So many amazing things were being discovered that some of the flights of fancy in this book are understandable. I marveled at the extent of the author's knowledge. The stories kept my interest. Doyle is a master storyteller.
Elwood Bergman
If you like H.P. Lovecraft and Algernon Blackwood, check this out!
Ryan
I wish Doyle hadn't hated Holmes so much - there were quite a few stories that would have improved with the inclusion of Holmes. Perhaps Doyle couldn't quite give up Holmes - some included an anonymous criminal analyst who submitted theories to the newspaper as part of moving the tale along. There were a few deeply disturbing stories - ones I would not expect out of this period - but mostly odd stories with reasonably happy endings. Most were familiar - they were either part of previous stories, ...more
Yogarshi
Ho-hum. A light read for those breaks that you take while you're in the middle of something else. These stories won't grip you like Sherlock Holmes or Professor Challenger does and there is nothing mysterious or terrifying about them - nothing, that is, that you would not except. Still, kudos to Conan Doyle who could produce such a myriad, variegated output of works in his lifetime. This offers a small glimpse into that brilliance that shines out so brilliantly in his other tales.
Yi Ning
A rare set of stories that does not feature Doyle's famous sleuth. Stories are dealt in a factual manner with unusual endings.

Some are particularly exciting and come to a somewhat incredible ending which Doyle serves up with a flourish, and others have a more understated but nevertheless logical ending that still serves to impress upon you the ingenuity of his storytelling.

Overall and enjoyable book and a good addition to the bookshelves of mystery lovers.
Indian
I am rendered an Conan Doyle fan all over again! I bow with reverence & admiration for the maestro, for me he is the most prosaic English writer!
The "brown hand" had a Afghan Pastu speaking man from Peshawar in 1892 being treated by a British doctor from Bombay, Conan Doyle keeps referring him as the native Indian in the narrative, wish Afghan & Peshawar were still a part of present day India.
Carrie Campbell-jones
This book was ok. I liked all but 2 of the stories and some actually kept me on the edge of my seat and actually surprised me with the ending!
Alecsandra Velez
I thought "The Horror of the Heights" was the weakest story of this otherwise really entertaining set of stories that tend to be more on the exotic (in the turn-of-the-century sense) and revenge side of things.

Favorites include "The Leather Funnel,"The New Catacomb," "The Case of Lady Sannox," "The Brazilian Cat," "The Lost Special," "The Black Doctor," and "The Jew's Breastplate."
  • Fantasy Fiesta 2011: Antologi Cerita Fantasi Terbaik 2011
  • おやすみプンプン 1
  • Cinema Panopticum
  • Adolf : An Exile in Japan
  • Discord (Ther Melian, #3)
  • Carnacki, the Ghost Finder
  • Raven Summer
  • Library of the World's Best Mystery and Detective Stories
  • Hailstorm (Vandaria Saga)
  • The Empty House and Other Ghost Stories
  • The Pan Book of Horror Stories
  • Kisah-kisah Tengah Malam
  • The Mystery of the Hidden Room
  • ワンパンマン 1 (Onepunch-Man #1)
  • Pintu Terlarang
  • The Red Thumb Mark
  • Ghost Stories of an Antiquary
Arthur Conan Doyle was born the third of ten siblings on 22 May 1859 in Edinburgh, Scotland. His father, Charles Altamont Doyle, was born in England of Irish descent, and his mother, born Mary Foley, was Irish. They were married in 1855.

Although he is now referred to as "Conan Doyle", the origin of this compound surname (if that is how he meant it to be understood) is uncertain. His baptism record
More about Arthur Conan Doyle...
A Study in Scarlet  (Sherlock Holmes, #1) The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #3) The Hound of the Baskervilles (Sherlock Holmes, #5) The Complete Sherlock Holmes The Complete Sherlock Holmes, Volume II

“His knowledge was greater than his wisdom, and his powers were far superior to his character.” 0 likes