Start by marking “The DASH Diet Action Plan: Proven to Lower Blood Pressure and Cholesterol Without Medication” as Want to Read:

The New York Times Bestseller--Based on the Diet Ranked "#1Best Diet Overall" by US NEWS & WORLD REPORT--for 4 Years in a Row!
Finally, the #1 ranked DASH diet is popularized and user-friendly. Unlike any diet before it, DASH, which stands for Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension, came out of groundbreaking NIH-funded research. Now, Marla Heller, MS, RD, who was tra
Published September 12th 2011 by Grand Central Publishing (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The DASH Diet Action Plan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The DASH Diet Action Plan

Garry Bacon
Great book

Loved it. Loved it!!!!!!!!! Loved it. Great book. Very good information on diet I would share this book with friends.
Penny Minding Mom
Jun 03, 2012 Penny Minding Mom rated it really liked it
Eating healthy in my house is can be a struggle. We try and sometimes we succeed and sometimes we fail. We've got my daughter starting to try new foods and now it's time for Mom and Dad to catch up! I've heard the about the DASH diet and was interested in learning more about it. We are looking to find a diet that is easy to follow (I hate number crunching), nutritious with food that the picky eaters in my house will eat, contains various health benefits. I am not dietitians or nutritionists so I ...more
Joan
Oct 06, 2012 Joan rated it really liked it
Shelves: weight-loss-diet
My cholesterol jumped to 300+, which sent me to my family doctor for advice. After we agreed that I am not keen to start medication, she promptly recommended the DASH Diet. So far, so good.

This is not an easy diet. It is very restrictive (low-fat, low sugar, hardly anything processed), so you have to be willing to cut out a lot of convenient foods. And the diet requires that you have the skills and time to shop and cook most of your meals. Some people complain that it is an expensive diet, but
Greg
Nov 21, 2011 Greg rated it really liked it
Frankly, the amount of carbohydrates this book recommends scares the heck out of me and I have a difficult time understanding how following this to a T would improve the health of someone with metabolic syndrome or someone who is diabetic.

That being said, this does seem to be a very doable plan for the long-term and is a good representation of the conventional advice for improving one's health.
Lindsay
Mar 08, 2017 Lindsay rated it it was amazing
Great advice for eating a well balanced diet. One of the few "diets" supported by the USDA.
Chad Simons
Mar 05, 2016 Chad Simons rated it really liked it
I am not reviewing this book. I am merely recording as it a book I read. I was assigned to read this book. I followed its guidance, and I have to say that in 6 weeks of trying my best to abide by its precepts, I have truly lost weight. 17 lbs. of it. I will hold for the applause and praise. That said, this diet, er, uh, eating plan, is hard for me. I love flavor, and I just don't feel like this diet provides enough of it. I like most of the foods and recipes it suggests, but after a few days, ev ...more
Barbara
This author didn't "invent" the diet, but she's done a great deal to popularize it. I was curious, as it's been decreed the #1 diet in the United States for something like 6 years running. What's it all about?

Fruits, vegetables, lean protein, dairy, and move around more. Nothing new here, slight tweaks of the nutritional exchanges that have been in use by dietitians and diabetics for years, same quantities as illustrated by the USDA pyramid and recommended by the American Heart Association.

A qui
Dan Hamrick
Feb 23, 2012 Dan Hamrick rated it it was ok
This is one of three diet books I've read over recent months; I'll comment on the other two.
The eating habits plan in this book, The Dash Diet, was selected by experts in a panel for U.S. News and World Report as the healthiest diet available. However, like another reviewer, I found it too heavily laden with grains. As a Type II diabetic, I know the effect of too much pasta, bread and other grain-based products in raising my blood sugar.
The book is worthwhile reading for someone who is healthy
Catherine
This book is short and quick to read. Much of the basic information is found in more than one place in the book, making it easy to review and remember. I felt that just when I had a question, the subject was addressed in the next paragraph. There are menus for 28 days, along with many recipes. The menus are very easy to use because the author has information for those who are aiming for 2000 calories a day for health, or 1600 or 1200 calories for health and weight loss. The author includes enoug ...more
Jim Johnson
Mar 22, 2013 Jim Johnson rated it it was ok
The author took her nutritional advice right out of the 80's. It seems a waste to write an entire diet book using outdated concepts like "don't eat fat", "don't eat salt", or "don't eat cholesterol". Any book that tells you to eat margarine over butter has serious problems.

As a side note, the audio book format was not appropriate for the chapters that outlined several weeks of daily suggested menus. There was a later chapter that read out a great many recipes that also got cumbersome to hear.
Rachel
Jun 04, 2016 Rachel rated it liked it
Having had success with the South Beach Diet, and with some prior experience with DASH Diet concepts, I thought I'd give this book a shot. What we found was that, while there is more variety than with South Beach, the food is kind of bland after a while. My husband and I already adhere to things we liked about South Beach and have incorporated some DASH Diet here and there. The book was an easy, quick read and offers some great meal planning ideas.
Violet
Jan 02, 2013 Violet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
Thanks to Goodreads and Marla Heller for my copy.

This is a diet plan I can live with. Packed with valuable information that will educate you on your condition and ways to improve it. Recipes that are easy to make and most often with ingredients already in your cabinets. I would recommend this book if your ready to start that diet.
Dale
Jul 05, 2012 Dale rated it did not like it
This was essentiall a CNN Health article with a few recipes a bunch of worthless checklists and a synopsis at the end of each chapter for those of us who have ADHD so badly we cannot focus for 2 seconds.

Save your money, read this one at the library (no need to check it out, just set aside 15-20 minutes).
Priscillia
Apr 01, 2016 Priscillia rated it really liked it
This is a good book to read if you want to know about the dash diet. It has 8 weeks worth of meal ideas in it. There were questions I wanted answered that I didn't find the answer in this book. But over all it had a lot of useful information in it.
Linda
Feb 08, 2013 Linda rated it it was ok
Shelves: health
There was absolutely no new information. Just eat lots of fruit and vegetables, curb the red meat, etc. I guess it would be good for anyone who has not listened to news or has no clue about good eating.
Megan
Jan 07, 2012 Megan rated it really liked it
I am really excited to read this book and start this diet. It should be arriving from Amazon any day now. I especially like that the recipes appear to be very family friendly! So, it comes with 28 days of menus and recipes and even grocery lists - I can do it, I can do it, I can do it!
Nicole Joseph
Jun 13, 2011 Nicole Joseph rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really good information. I liked that the book gave me foods that I could eat that helped with high blood pressure instead of telling me everything I cannot eat.
Lady Jane
Jan 08, 2010 Lady Jane rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health, nonfiction
Provides simple, research-based guidelines for adopting diet changes that combat hypertension. Good introduction, but one needs more guidance than this book alone.
Dianne Ragland
Oct 23, 2015 Dianne Ragland rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Educational

Good plan. Explains what to eat and the reason, while offering flexibility. I recommend this book to anyone desiring a healthy eating plan.
Meg
Jun 15, 2014 Meg rated it liked it
A very easy to read book. The diet plan itself is a no nonsense common sense approach to food. I appreciate that it doesn't focus on what to limit but rather what to add to your meals
Melissa
Feb 09, 2015 Melissa rated it liked it
Lots of good information, though I was surprised with some of the recommendations in the dining out section - it seems like the diet should be more restrictive given the heart impacts
Stef
Stef rated it really liked it
Feb 13, 2009
michaela montano
michaela montano rated it liked it
Dec 05, 2016
Andrea Garrett
Andrea Garrett rated it it was amazing
Jun 01, 2016
Sharon Barnes
Sharon Barnes rated it liked it
Jun 10, 2015
Kate
Kate rated it really liked it
Apr 27, 2015
Millie
Millie rated it really liked it
Mar 02, 2012
Benedict
Benedict rated it liked it
Jul 16, 2014
Rachel Shilletto
Rachel Shilletto rated it liked it
Mar 26, 2016
Stuart Davenport
Stuart Davenport rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2015
  • The South Beach Diet Supercharged: Faster Weight Loss and Better Health for Life
  • Dr. Fuhrman Nutritarian Handbook & ANDI Food Scoring Guide
  • Daily Dash for Weight Loss: A Day-By-Day Dash Diet Weight Loss Plan
  • Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead: How Fruits & Vegetables Changed My Life
  • The Vegucation of Robin: How Real Food Saved My Life
  • Voices of the Food Revolution: You Can Heal Your Body and Your World--With Food!
  • Unprocessed: How to Achieve Vibrant Health and Your Ideal Weight
  • The McDougall Program for Maximum Weight Loss
  • The Joy of Half a Cookie: Using Mindfulness to Lose Weight and End the Struggle with Food
  • Healthy Eating, Healthy World: Unleashing the Power of Plant-Based Nutrition
  • Fix-It and Forget-It 5-ingredient favorites: Comforting Slow-Cooker Recipes
  • The Stop: How the Fight for Good Food Transformed a Community and Inspired a Movement
  • The Campbell Plan: The Simple Way to Lose Weight and Reverse Illness, Using The China Study's Whole-Food, Plant-Based Diet
  • The Get Healthy, Go Vegan Cookbook
  • Vegan for Her: The Woman's Guide to Being Healthy and Fit on a Plant-Based Diet
  • The Plant-Based Journey: A Step-by-Step Guide for Transitioning to a Healthy Lifestyle and Achieving Your Ideal Weight
  • Sugar Busters! Cut Sugar to Trim Fat