Start by marking “Are You a Ladybug?” as Want to Read:
Are You a Ladybug?

Are You a Ladybug? (Up The Garden Path / Backyard Books)

Beginning with its title question, "Are you a ladybug?", this accessible book is perfect for reading aloud and tells young readers how they would experience life if they were a ladybug.
Published May 16th 2003 by Kingfisher (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Are You a Ladybug?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Are You a Ladybug?

Katie Jackson
Sep 11, 2011 Katie Jackson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
I loke the detailed pictures in this book. I learned a lot from this book and I would use it as a research tool for children learning about ladybugs. I didn't know what ladybugs looked like when they were first born or the variety of ladybugs.
Vivian
The "Are You a..." non-fiction series is a good choice for introducing young children (and all the rest of us) to the insect world.

We chose this one to include in a library story-time about fire fighters because of the verse
"Ladybird, ladybird fly away home,
Your house is on fire and your children are gone,
All except one,
And her name is Ann,
And she hid under the baking pan."

Children are fascinated with everything to do with the world around them and will enjoy informational books. One of the "Em
Dolly
Oct 22, 2011 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is another fun book in the Are You a... series of books by Judy Allen and Tudor Humphries. We like these books. They offer scientific information, but in a colorful and fun format. Children will like how the books speaks to them and helps to compare a human to the insect described. And the Did You Know... section in the back offers additional facts about the topic. We will certainly look for more books in this series.
Heatherhh
Feb 25, 2013 Heatherhh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-star-and-up
This book whimsically looks at what your life would be like if you were a ladybug. A very constant theme is to keep eating aphids, especially early on, so that you can grow. It has nice illustrations. Near the end of the story, you're told that if your parents look more like this (drawings of human parents of various skin colors), then you are not a ladybug; the explanation of how your life will be different culminates in the fact that you will never ever have to eat aphids! A final 2-page sprea ...more
Brandi Brown
Jun 07, 2014 Brandi Brown rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is one in a series of books that is written to explain the appearance, habits, and life cycle of bugs. The book is told from the perspective of a ladybug who is talking to the human children who are reading the book. This book does an excellent job, in my opinion, of explaining how a ladybug starts life as an egg and continues until old age without belaboring scientific terms and points but still provides information for the youngest readers. A kindergarten student should be able to re ...more
Samantha Catalano
I learned so much by reading this book! What a great book to read when doing science! For the size book that it is, it explains a lot about ladybugs that I never knew before. At the end, it ties the whole thing back to the reader, who has to figure out if they fit the description of a ladybug. Instead, through the depiction of multiple diverse families, we conclude that we are human beings instead.
Deidra
Dec 01, 2007 Deidra rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Written by Judy Allen, illustrated by Tudor Humpries. Published by Kingfisher Publications, copyright 2000.

Grade Level: 1st and up

This story leads children through the life of a ladybug starting from the egg as if the reader was a ladybug.

Children will like this story because it gives lots of interesting facts about the insect most people like, and it lets them use their immagination to pretend that they are ladybugs.

Possible themes or units: insects, nature
Jen
Jul 28, 2012 Jen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We learned A LOT about ladybugs in this book. I like that it was informative enough without too much information to bog the reader down.
Lynnea
Feb 15, 2012 Lynnea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
very cute book for younger kids
it's like a handbook for ladybugs and what they should do - eat aphids, eat some more, Peel off your skin, etc. very cute
Dylan & Devon Tandoc
Dylan & Devon Tandoc rated it really liked it
Feb 26, 2014
Angela
Very fun nonfiction, my child adores this book!
Rachel
Rachel rated it liked it
May 26, 2015
Janelle
Janelle rated it it was ok
Oct 26, 2014
Megan 'ross' charlton
Megan 'ross' charlton rated it it was amazing
Jun 16, 2014
Betsy
Betsy rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2012
Haley
Haley rated it liked it
Mar 27, 2013
Mihiret
Mihiret rated it really liked it
Mar 17, 2015
Louise Allana
Louise Allana rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2014
Julia
Julia rated it it was amazing
Apr 25, 2016
Marianne
Marianne rated it really liked it
Dec 03, 2016
Ruben
Ruben rated it it was amazing
Mar 21, 2009
Kimberly Evans
Kimberly Evans rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2016
Brandi
Brandi rated it it was amazing
Mar 24, 2016
Omtomyheart
Omtomyheart rated it it was amazing
Sep 02, 2014
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Mar 26, 2010
Alice Chen
Alice Chen rated it it was ok
Jan 18, 2010
Angie García
Angie García rated it it was amazing
Jun 23, 2016
Quincy
Quincy rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2014
Julie Simmons
Julie Simmons rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2011
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Wrong ISBNs assigned to books; can't delete duplicate 3 24 Apr 30, 2012 08:45PM
  • Somewhere in the Ocean
  • Wiggling Worms at Work
  • April Foolishness
  • Five Little Monkeys Play Hide and Seek
  • Elephants Can Paint Too!
  • Ladybugs
  • The Blind Men And The Elephant
  • Chameleon Chameleon
  • Happy Halloween, Little Critter!
  • Dem Bones (Avenues)
  • Insect Detective
  • Up, Down, and Around
  • Sunshine Makes the Seasons
  • Shhhhh! Everybody's Sleeping
Judy Allen is an award-winning author whose novel Awaiting Developments was short-listed for the Whitbread Children's Novel Award.

Judy Allen, along with illustrator Tudor Humphries, created Kingfisher's award-winning Backyard Books series and many other successful books, including the Reading Rainbow selections Tiger and Seal.
More about Judy Allen...

Up The Garden Path / Backyard Books (8 books)
  • Are You A Butterfly? (Up The Garden Path)
  • Are You a Snail? (Up the Garden Path)
  • Are You A Bee? (Up The Garden Path)
  • Are You a Dragonfly?
  • Are You An Ant? (Up The Garden Path)
  • Are You a Grasshopper? (Up the Garden Path)
  • Are You a Spider?