Start by marking “Uncommon Sense for Parents with Teenagers” as Want to Read:
Uncommon Sense for Parents with Teenagers

Uncommon Sense for Parents with Teenagers

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  70 ratings  ·  15 reviews
This perennial bestseller (with more than 100,000 copies sold) has been completely revised and updated for a new generation of teenagers and their parents.

Since its initial publication in 1995, Uncommon Sense for Parents with Teenagers has ushered countless families through the trying years of adolescence. In this fully revised and updated edition, Riera tackles some of th
Published July 27th 2011 by Celestial Arts (first published May 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Uncommon Sense for Parents with Teenagers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Uncommon Sense for Parents with Teenagers

Kristen
Sometimes you get the RIGHT book at the RIGHT time. Someone handed me this just as my son hit high school, and it's helped me not be shocked by some of the new 'surprises' of teen-hood. I have a great understanding now of why he'll have a 'Sophomore Slump' and why he sometimes can't talk to me. I'm having trouble with the suggestion to "never give advice, even when they ask for it..." now, that's uncommon sense! But these years are really about getting to know yourself, and this book will help m ...more
Shannon
My husband and I heard him speak on this book last night and he was really good. I thought I'd heard it all, but he had some great points (and fabulous stories) about teenagers and their needs. I especially liked the information on moving from Manager to Consultant in their lives and thinking through H.A.L.T. when they are stressed - are they Hungry, Angry, Lonely, or Tired? Good stuff.
Susan
I love the way Riera writes about teenagers. Very real life - not
"you have to keep the lines of communication open" when your
real life teenager wants to cut them with gardening shears.
Helps me think about what my goals are for my kids - to empower
them to make good decisions and he doesn't pretend you can
control everything your teen does.
Sheila
The best part is his simple explanation of the changing parental role between childhood and teenagerdom - from manager to consultant. I think about that often when my instinct is to control rather than to assist my daughter.
Rebecca
As self help books go, this actually held my interest passed the first chapter. This is alot of interesting advice in here but as you would think, not all is relevant to your individual teenager.
Julia
May 03, 2009 Julia rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone with a teen or preteen
I really enjoyed this book - you can pick through and read the chapters that apply to you easily as you need them and it offers some very good and needed advice for parents of teens.
Rochelle
A good book for giving you some insight to the teenager in your life. Especially if you are looking to improve your relationship and ability to communicate with each other.
Natalie
Good book when dealing with "transitional" teen: an adolescent who thinks he should have the same privileges as an adult.
Diana
hands down one of the best books for parents of teens to learn from!
Johanna
a few good tips on approach & general intro to what to expect.
Tarah
This book has been really helpful at work!
Stacey
This all seemed like common sense to me.
Cathi
GUESS MY KIDS ARE 'NORMAL' AFTER ALL!
Joe Brunory
painless and essential.
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
Nikki
Nikki added it
Jul 21, 2015
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2015
Sujata
Sujata marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2015
Suzanne Crane
Suzanne Crane is currently reading it
Jun 18, 2015
Tim Walters
Tim Walters is currently reading it
Jun 15, 2015
Brett Miller
Brett Miller is currently reading it
May 30, 2015
LeAnn
LeAnn marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
Susan Eliza
Susan Eliza marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
Mary Jane
Mary Jane marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2015
Amy
Amy added it
Mar 15, 2015
Carrol-ann Davidson
Carrol-ann Davidson is currently reading it
Feb 16, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Staying Connected To Your Teenager: How To Keep Them Talking To You And How To Hear What They're Really Saying Uncommon Sense for Parents with Teenagers, Third Edition Surviving High School: Making the Most of the High School Years Field Guide To The American Teenager Right From Wrong: Instilling A Sense Of Integrity In Our Children