Start by marking “Uncommon Sense for Parents with Teenagers” as Want to Read:
Uncommon Sense for Parents with Teenagers

Uncommon Sense for Parents with Teenagers

3.76  ·  Rating Details  ·  85 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
This perennial bestseller (with more than 100,000 copies sold) has been completely revised and updated for a new generation of teenagers and their parents.

Since its initial publication in 1995, Uncommon Sense for Parents with Teenagers has ushered countless families through the trying years of adolescence. In this fully revised and updated edition, Riera tackles some of th
Published July 27th 2011 by Celestial Arts (first published May 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Uncommon Sense for Parents with Teenagers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Uncommon Sense for Parents with Teenagers

Gerry
Apr 29, 2016 Gerry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well-written, in a conversational and easily understood style. Highlights the tension between adolescents’ desire for independence and autonomy, and their need for guidance and supervision, with good descriptions of typical issues and pressure points in each year of high school.
Kristen
Dec 07, 2011 Kristen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes you get the RIGHT book at the RIGHT time. Someone handed me this just as my son hit high school, and it's helped me not be shocked by some of the new 'surprises' of teen-hood. I have a great understanding now of why he'll have a 'Sophomore Slump' and why he sometimes can't talk to me. I'm having trouble with the suggestion to "never give advice, even when they ask for it..." now, that's uncommon sense! But these years are really about getting to know yourself, and this book will help m ...more
Shannon
Mar 24, 2011 Shannon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My husband and I heard him speak on this book last night and he was really good. I thought I'd heard it all, but he had some great points (and fabulous stories) about teenagers and their needs. I especially liked the information on moving from Manager to Consultant in their lives and thinking through H.A.L.T. when they are stressed - are they Hungry, Angry, Lonely, or Tired? Good stuff.
Susan
May 23, 2009 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
I love the way Riera writes about teenagers. Very real life - not
"you have to keep the lines of communication open" when your
real life teenager wants to cut them with gardening shears.
Helps me think about what my goals are for my kids - to empower
them to make good decisions and he doesn't pretend you can
control everything your teen does.
Sheila
Dec 05, 2009 Sheila rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-growth
The best part is his simple explanation of the changing parental role between childhood and teenagerdom - from manager to consultant. I think about that often when my instinct is to control rather than to assist my daughter.
Becki Basley
As self help books go, this actually held my interest passed the first chapter. This is alot of interesting advice in here but as you would think, not all is relevant to your individual teenager.
Julia
May 03, 2009 Julia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone with a teen or preteen
I really enjoyed this book - you can pick through and read the chapters that apply to you easily as you need them and it offers some very good and needed advice for parents of teens.
Rochelle
Oct 31, 2013 Rochelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good book for giving you some insight to the teenager in your life. Especially if you are looking to improve your relationship and ability to communicate with each other.
Natalie
Jul 24, 2012 Natalie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book when dealing with "transitional" teen: an adolescent who thinks he should have the same privileges as an adult.
Diana
Apr 22, 2013 Diana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
hands down one of the best books for parents of teens to learn from!
Johanna
a few good tips on approach & general intro to what to expect.
Tarah
Jul 27, 2011 Tarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has been really helpful at work!
Stacey
Dec 11, 2010 Stacey rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This all seemed like common sense to me.
Cathi
Aug 11, 2012 Cathi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
GUESS MY KIDS ARE 'NORMAL' AFTER ALL!
Joe Brunory
painless and essential.
Ayelet Waldman
Feb 26, 2013 Ayelet Waldman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sigh.
Sally
Sally marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2016
Weisim
Weisim rated it liked it
Jul 29, 2016
Suzana
Suzana rated it really liked it
May 28, 2016
Joan Gjesfjeld
Joan Gjesfjeld marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
Lorina
Lorina marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
Caro Raciti
Caro Raciti rated it it was amazing
May 11, 2016
FSN
FSN added it
Apr 21, 2016
Jon
Jon rated it it was ok
Apr 17, 2016
Kevingj
Kevingj marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2016
Karen
Karen rated it liked it
Apr 10, 2016
Pepa Richardson
Pepa Richardson is currently reading it
Apr 09, 2016
Debi
Debi marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Getting to Calm: Cool-Headed Strategies for Parenting Tweens + Teens
  • Get Out of My Life, but First Could You Drive Me & Cheryl to the Mall
  • What a Difference a Mom Makes: The Indelible Imprint a Mom Leaves on Her Son's Life
  • The Power of Positive Confrontation: The Skills You Need to Know to Handle Conflicts at Work, at Home and in Life
  • Growing Up Brave: Expert Strategies for Helping Your Child Overcome Fear, Stress, and Anxiety
  • Copy This!: Lessons from a Hyperactive Dyslexic who Turned a Bright Idea Into One of America's Best Companies
  • Easy Spanish Reader: A Three-Part Text for Beginning Students
  • Mind Without a Home: A Memoir of Schizophrenia
  • Creativity for Life: Practical Advice on the Artist's Personality, and Career from America's Foremost Creativity Coach
  • Education of a Woman: The Life of Gloria Steinem
  • Contrition
  • Psychology
  • The Art Question
  • There Goes My Everything: White Southerners in the Age of Civil Rights, 1945-1975
  • The Empty Room: Surviving the Loss of a Brother or Sister at Any Age