Start by marking “Truy Tìm AKHENATEN (Hậu Duệ Thần Đèn, #1)” as Want to Read:
Truy Tìm AKHENATEN  (Hậu Duệ Thần Đèn, #1)

Truy Tìm AKHENATEN (Children of the Lamp #1)

3.75  ·  Rating Details ·  16,003 Ratings  ·  605 Reviews
John và Philippa là hai anh em sinh đôi. Chúng nghĩ rằng, chúng là những đứa trẻ bình thường, nhưng từ khi bà giúp việc của gia đình trúng số độc đắc, chúng phát hiện ra một sự thật đáng kinh ngạc: chúng là djinh - hậu duệ thần đèn, và chính năng lực kỳ diệu của chúng đã giúp bà giúp việc trúng số. Nhưng năng lực djinh rất nguy hiểm và rắc rối, chúng phải học cách kiểm soá ...more
526 pages
Published June 2008 by Trẻ (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Truy Tìm AKHENATEN, please sign up.

Bernadette I'm pretty sure you can, but I think you should try and find a website that works for you.. Maybe Amazon or a bookwebsite you're familiar with? :)…moreI'm pretty sure you can, but I think you should try and find a website that works for you.. Maybe Amazon or a bookwebsite you're familiar with? :) Google it :)(less)

Katri
Sep 29, 2010 Katri rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
I found this an entertaining, quick-to-read adventure book, and the central idea, that some people in the modern day world are djinns of the ancient legends whose task is to protect the world, is nice enough. But the plot solutions were too facile and convenient, and so it was not really as exciting and fun as it could have been. However, what bugged me the most was the attitudes the author showed, through the narrative and the attitudes of the characters, towards, well, pretty much anything tha ...more
Colleen
What a really cute book. I will definately let my daughter read this book when she is older. I've seen some criticism's about the issue of smoking in this book. In the book, the reason why Djinn smoke is because they are made of fire and they like heat and smoke. But the character, Nimrod, clearly states in the book that smoking is fine for Djinn but terrible for humans.

"But isn't smoking bad for you?" Objected John.
"It's terribly bad for human beings, yes. But not at all bad for djinn."

Person
Ordinary Dahlia
Mar 01, 2009 Ordinary Dahlia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Huaaaa...kalian bisa belajar banyak tentang dunia jin!
Misalnya kek gini :
- Jin baik namanya marid sedangkan jin jahat namanya Ifrit atau iblis *lirik lelembut hippo,rada2 mencurigakan memang!*

- Kalo jin masuk ke tubuh mahluk hidup, mereka harus menyediakan parfum karena pas balik ke tubuh semula, bau makluk hidup yang ditumpangi bakal nempel di badan (apalagi kalo u masuk ke tubuh unta, disarankan mandi parfum aja!)

- Kalo u berhasil mensegel ifrit (dalam hal ini memasukannya dalam botol ato kal
Danielle Parker
Jun 17, 2012 Danielle Parker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Though I’ve read thousands of books, the ones I discovered as a youngster are special. They’re like beloved relatives, worthy of a hug every time and fondly remembered. Yes, sure, now I’m too old for Journey to the Mushroom Planet. But it still gets a messy kiss from me. I can still vicariously enjoy the wonderful summer vacation of the children in Arthur Ransome’s famous Swallows and Amazons. E. Nesbitt and Edward Eager and their magic games. Alan Garner’s and Lloyd Alexander’s Celtic and Welsh ...more
Book Elf
Jul 15, 2011 Book Elf rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-bookshelf
Have you read the Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan? It was like reading that but at the same time nothing fancy like that~ because i like this one better! I liked how it was written (I dunno, i really liked how UK writers write). It was like in the same boat as Red Pyramid, being Cairo and travelling in London and other parts of the world but not in a very hectic manner like Rick Riordan's throwing all information to you that you were sick of it and you cannot take it anymore.

This story was a fresh
John
Jul 27, 2010 John rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
The book, inspired clearly by Harry Potter if not Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson books, was ok. The two protagonists, a set of twins who discover that they are djinn with magical powers, felt cookie cutter and never really seemed to break out of the mold.

To make things worse, there were a fair number of xenophobic comments spread throughout the book, the French receiving a good number of shots (hygiene being the number one thing attacked) though Egyptians were not far behind.

Coming at the book wit
Apr 26, 2008 Sarah rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Two american children find out that they are actually Jinn (or Genie) and set off to London to help out their Uncle, er, Nimrod.

Not a bad book, slightly action-adventurish, but spolied by stilted writing and a quite bizarre hatred for the French, which might be ment to be humerous, but instead comes off as quite xenophobic.

The former might be because the author tends to write for adults and was trying to write "down" for children - the latter, I have no explaination for, unless his English-Sco
Drew
Feb 21, 2015 Drew added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
I didn't finish
Asriani
Jul 22, 2008 Asriani rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Semua hal yang tidak mungkin terjadi di dunia nyata dengan mudah terwujud di dunia fantasi. Tidak heran jika ratusan cerita bahkan mungkin saja kini jumlahnya mencapai ribuan bermunculan. Imajinasi setiap orang dengan dibiarkan bebas menciptakan karakter demi karakter yang dilengkapi dengan keistimewaan yang mengundang decak kagum.

Setidaknya semua yang saya tuliskan diatas ada pada karakter di buku ini. Lihat saja Layla, wanita cantik yang menikahi Edward Gaunt, seorang pria baik hati dan kaya
KristenR
There were a lot of things I liked about this book, but also a few things I didn't like.

The Good:

1. The Fantasy Element - I was impressed with the djinn folklore that was used as the basis of the story. It seemed well researched and was used intelligently, and I liked the references to literature such as The Arabian Nights, and the New Oxford Book of Verse (My daughter now wants to check out those books :)

2. Strong Protagonists - John and Philippa are strong, smart children who show quick thinki
Uriel
The book is about twelve-year old twins named John and Philippa Gaunt.
They both live an upper class life in New York City,New York. But there lifes change when suddenly their wisdom(dragon)teeth are removed. After arguing to desire heat, they are sent to live with thier uncle Nimrod.
When they reach there, they have realized that they are djinns(genies). Then their uncle trains them how to use their powers before they take advantage. Nimrod, John and Philippa are trying to discover where the "Se
Ariel Marie
Jul 18, 2013 Ariel Marie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remember this book. It's been years since I read it, but I also remember that it was a thoughtful gift from a friend. She said she knew I loved book with talking animals, but couldn't find any so she hoped this was alright. To be honest, I always been fascinated by 1001 Arabian Nights so this was a nice little discovery since it involved two children learning that they were djinns. The fantasy world opened up and expanded upon the usual locations of fantasy middle grade novels. Therefore, I co ...more
Marcella Chan
Apr 20, 2010 Marcella Chan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The name "Alan" means handsome and the name "Neil" means champion.
Celestia
Feb 04, 2017 Celestia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
While I felt that the twins' characters could have been a little more fleshed-out, they were pretty acceptable to read and maybe they'll become more real to me in later books. Besides, characterization really came out in their Uncle Nimrod. The story itself was entertaining, and it was a fun little read. There's also quite a bit of trivia in here too. :)
Endah
Oct 11, 2008 Endah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anda percaya jin? Percaya penuh atau separuh atau justru tidak percaya? Saya sih rada-rada tidak percaya, sebab belum pernah bertemu langsung dengan makhluk yang berasal dari alam gaib itu. Memang sih, dalam ajaran agama saya, Islam, keberadaan bangsa jin diakui. Malah ada yang menggolongkannya dalam 2 jenis: jin kafir dan jin Islam. Yang pertama itu adalah jin jahat yang tidak mau menuruti perintah Tuhan; sedangkan yang terakhir jin saleh yang selalu mematuhi penciptanya.

Jin yang saya ketahui h
Ary Nilandari
Dari segi cerita, jauh kalau dibandingkan Trilogi Bartimaeus...karakter Nathaniel dan Barty sangat kuat. Sementara John dan Phillipa kurang berkesan (atau harus baca lanjutannya dulu untuk mulai menyukai mereka?)

Tapi mungkin juga karena membaca edisi terjemahannya kayak melewati jalan berbatu. ouch ouch. Berkali-kali menemukan terjemahan yang membuat kening berkerut dan harus baca bolak-balik biar ngerti. Sering dengan mengira-ngira bahasa asalnya, aku malah baru ngeh maksudnya.
(terutama kalau a
Anu
Mar 10, 2015 Anu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nuoret
Alotettiin 11 v:n kanssa uusi iltakirjasarja.
olen lukenut kirjat jo kertaalleen, itse asiassa tämä sarja oli kirjastourani ensimmäisiä, varta vasten vinkkausta varten lukemiani fantasiasarjoja. Kiva lukea se nyt (n.seitsemän vuotta myöhemmin) uudelleen kohderyhmän kanssa.
Tarina kertoo kaksosista, jotka murrosiässä saavat yllättäen yliluonnolliset voimat ja aloittavat tietysti oitis taistelun hyvän puolella pahaa vastaan. Dzinni-äiti ei ole kertonut totuutta lasten syntyperästä ja uudet voimat
Michaela Brenneman
Really good starter to the Children of the Lamp series. John and Phillipia find out they are Djinn and can grant wishes. It all starts when getting their wisdom teeth out. They have a vision where they talk to their uncle and he tells the to visit him in England. John and Phillipia do as they are told, on the plane they meet a nice couple who wish they accidently grant. They find out they are Djinn and go into the desert to practice their powers, but an evil source is stirring up trouble back ho ...more
Luann
Jan 31, 2008 Luann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Luann by: Jennifer
This series was highly recommended to me by a couple of my library students several years ago. It was also recommended to me by a librarian friend. So this first book in the series has been on my to-read list all that time. I probably never would have actually read it if I wasn't participating in a challenge to read ten books this year that have been on my TBR the longest.

I'm glad I finally got around to reading this, and I did mostly enjoy it. But I didn't fall in love with it. I thought the i
Gabby
Feb 09, 2015 Gabby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Gabby by: Sophie
Shelves: aug-2015
The actual rating is probably closer to a 4.58 star rating, since I had a few slight problems with the story. Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book, despite how long it took me to read. It took a bit of time to get into the book, and I'm glad that I read through the book and didn't put it down like I might have.
So like most 'children's books' that I've read, the two main characters, John and Philippa, where more mature for their age, but I think that aspect fit in nicely with the rest
Sophie
My grandpa bought me this book for Christmas as he had read some of Kerr's adult novels and while on Amazon he discovered that Kerr had written some books for children. Apparently it has really good reviews and I can see why! I absolutely loved this book.

The story is about two twins; John and Philippa, who discover that they are djinn (kind of like a genie, although the word genie is repugnant to the djinn). All the characters are well developed and extremely likable. The plotline is clever and
Max
When wealthy New York twins John and Philippa have to have their wisdom teeth removed rather young (they're twelve), it triggers a series of events that reveal to them that they are djinn, descended from a powerful tribe of djinn, and just coming into their powers. Sent to England to learn from their Uncle Nimrod all about being djinn, they are drawn into the age-old conflict between good and evil djinn, and travel with their uncle to Egypt to find the secret behind the disappearance of 70 djinn ...more
Halli
Apr 05, 2011 Halli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading this book and after reading negative reviews on Amazon, it just strikes me as funny as to what I don't notice when reading a book or things I automatically pass over. Maybe I too am a racist and sexist individual but I thought that people would have larger issues with other subject matter than what they did. I enjoyed the book and felt that I got to know the characters enough to care about them and love experiencing their adventures with them. As a piece of fiction I see ...more
Angelic Zaizai

Dari judulnya aja udah ketahuan ini pasti cerita tentang jin.. bedanya ini tentang jin kembar, masih muda dan sebelumnya dibesarkan sebagai manusia.
Kok bisa ??
Karena sebelum gigi geraham bungsu tumbuh, kekuatan mereka belum muncul.
Setelah tahu identitas mereka yang sebenarnya, John dan Philippa dibimbing oleh pamannya, Nimrod. Diajak bertualang ke Mesir, mencari makam Akhenaten ehmm tepatnya sih nyari jin-nya Akhenaten..

Gak terlalu suka sih sama ceritanya .. ga tau kenapa .. trus pas baca bagi
Zoe
I really wanted to like this o e,but it falls prey to the same trap Rick Riordan's Red Pyramid did. While there is plenty of action, having two main protagonists seems to divide the focus, even though they are never separated, and while this could. Be a good "coming of age/coming into their powers' tale, neither character ever feels or thinks anything about the amazing events happening to them. Fine entertainment for your ten year old, but this won't become a classic.
Linda
Jan 25, 2009 Linda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just discovered this wonderful fantasy series about 12 year-old boy-girl twins who live in New York City and discover that they're djinns. In this first book they accompany their English Uncle Nimrod to Egypt to learn about djinn culture. I've always been a sucker for books that take place in Egypt and this one is very well written.
monigr(a.k.a. Monika)
Apr 17, 2008 monigr(a.k.a. Monika) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who are interested in a VERY GOOD BOOK!!!!!!!!!
Shelves: awesomeness
When i first picked this book up, I thought`it looks interesting.` But boy was I in for an adventure. From London, to Egypt, this book tells about 2 young kids who discover that they are djinn(genies). They must fight the evilest djinn in the world, and defeat an evil ancient Egyptian pharaoh named Akhenaten (we learned about him in history this year.).
Lori
Aug 20, 2008 Lori rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books-on-cd
Awsome! We all enjoyed this story. A bit scary in parts but no more than the first harry potter book that we listened to in our last car trip. A bit long sometimes with overly complicated explanations that if i was reading i would have skimmed thru. Seriously... do we need a techinical explination of why genie's can survive in a bottle? just suspend your disbelif!
Jen
Feb 13, 2008 Jen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: youth
Horrible. In parts of this book the author tries to be funny by making fun of people (overweight people). I would not let my children read this. I don't mind frivolous books but this book has too much meanness.
Allyson
I literally just picked this book up one day when my class was in library and thought to myself "Okay, you know what? I'm bored and I need something to read. This looks interesting, so I'm giving it a shot." Boy am I glad I did! I can't wait until I have time to read the second book!
ABC's of the Children of the Lamp 10 8 Nov 09, 2014 03:34PM
So incredibly cool! 11 30 Nov 06, 2014 04:40PM
Mundane, Djinn, or Angel 1 3 Nov 06, 2014 04:26AM
All About Fantasy!: Children of the lamp (YA) 2 5 Oct 10, 2013 07:43PM
  • Hatching Magic (Hatching Magic, #1)
  • Hände weg von Mississippi
  • The Nine Pound Hammer (The Clockwork Dark, #1)
  • Beyond the Valley of Thorns (The Land of Elyon, #2)
  • Charlie Bone and the Shadow (The Children of the Red King, #7)
  • The Sea of Trolls (Sea of Trolls, #1)
  • Gods of Manhattan (Gods of Manhattan, #1)
  • The Dragon of Trelian (Trelian, #1)
  • The Shadow Thieves (Cronus Chronicles, #1)
  • Cave of the Dark Wind (Never Land, #2)
  • The Legend of Holly Claus
  • The Chase (Lionboy Trilogy, #2)
  • The Secret of Platform 13
  • Iris, Messenger
  • The Floating Island (The Lost Journals of Ven Polypheme, #1)
  • The Dragon's Eye (Erec Rex, #1)
  • The Revenge of the Shadow King (Grey Griffins, #1)
  • Leven Thumps and the Whispered Secret (Leven Thumps, #2)
Also writes as Philip Kerr.

Philip Kerr (P.B. Kerr) is a British author of both adult fiction and non-fiction, most notably the Bernie Gunther series, and of children's books, particularly the Children of the Lamp series.

Kerr was educated there and at a grammar school in Northampton. He studied law at the University of Birmingham from 1974–1980, achieving a masters degree. Kerr worked as an adverti
More about P.B. Kerr...

Children of the Lamp (7 books)
  • The Blue Djinn of Babylon (Children of the Lamp, #2)
  • The Cobra King of Kathmandu (Children of the Lamp, #3)
  • The Day of the Djinn Warriors (Children of the Lamp, #4)
  • The Eye Of The Forest (Children Of The Lamp, #5)
  • The Five Fakirs of Faizabad (Children of the Lamp, #6)
  • The Grave Robbers Of Genghis Khan (Children Of The Lamp, #7)

“May the saddest day of your future be no worse than the happiest day of your past.” 20 likes
“And tell them all about the books you've read. Better still, buy some more books and read them. That's an order. You can never read too many books.” 12 likes