Start by marking “Race, Class, and Gender: An Anthology (with InfoTrac) (The Wadsworth Sociology Reader Series)” as Want to Read:

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  163 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Included in RACE, CLASS, AND GENDER are 64 interdisciplinary readings. The authors provide very accessible articles that show how race, class, and gender shape people's experiences, and help students to see the issues in an analytic, as well as descriptive way. The book provides conceptual grounding in understanding race, class, and gender; it has a strong historical and s...more
Published June 12th 2003 by Wadsworth Publishing (first published January 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Race, Class, and Gender, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Race, Class, and Gender

Nancy
So far, an excellent collection of essays that shows clearly what is wrong with the world and how deeply and insidiously the lives of so many people are affected by power imbalances in our society.

It looks like I won't be finishing this book.

Some fucker stole it off my desk at work last night.
Damien
I read this book in the Winter of 2003; while I had been against racism, classism, and (hetero)sexism for my whole adult life, I didn't realize how serious all these issues really were until I read this anthology.
Sure, I always knew they were serious issues, but like most Americans, I almost felt like MY particular life was some how unaffected by them, or that freedom from institutionalized oppression was "just around the corner".
Since I was a young child, I knew that things were wrong on many...more
Amy
My favorite textbook ever...
Terri Lynn
I enjoyed this very much. After growing up in the 1960's and 1970's in Atlanta, Georgia, I got to see the civil rights movement and the women's liberation movement up close and was involved because my parents were liberals who fought for blacks and other minorities to have equal rights, were feminists, and who also fought even then for gay rights. I am fortunate to have been raised by people who set me on the same path of caring about social justice.

How far have we come in seeing social justice...more
Kimberly
Got this book used for $72.00 for Soc class this Fall. Realize that I read it when my daughter took the class some years ago! Still good. This book is a difficult read, at times, due to the complex subject matter and the small font! Most of the essays I really enjoy but the class quizzes on essays not so much! Really difficult quizzes so far! So much for acing the class but I love it and am learning a lot!
Kris
Nancy Babbitt
A great book that explores the intersecting relationships of power and privilege within socially constructed systems of race, class and gender.
Beth
Really interesting collection of stories and essays on the topic. Highly recommended.
Lauramaria
I had to read this and similar anthologies for a class and really enjoyed it.
Kelsey Byers
another interesting collection of essays and articles
Jana
Probably one of my favorite textbooks to date.
Hena
Aug 06, 2008 Hena rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nerds, intellectual types
Recommended to Hena by: brother's bookshelf
Shelves: political
i read some bits, t'was interesting
innit
T. Smith
anthology; in several editions now
Jana Burlakova
Jana Burlakova marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Emily Gooch
Emily Gooch marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2014
Courtney Nikolay
Courtney Nikolay marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2014
Sanguinemarble
Sanguinemarble marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2014
Andre' Bridges
Andre' Bridges marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Carlotta
Carlotta marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
Danielle
Danielle is currently reading it
Sep 17, 2014
Julianna Axworthy
Julianna Axworthy marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Emma
Emma marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Tere
Tere marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Tere
Tere marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
  • Race, Class, and Gender in the United States: An Integrated Study
  • Black Feminist Thought: Knowledge, Consciousness, and the Politics of Empowerment
  • 8 Ball Chicks
  • Privilege, Power, and Difference
  • What We Leave Behind
  • The  Prosperous Few and the Restless Many (Real Story)
  • Turning to One Another: Simple Conversations to Restore Hope to the Future
  • Pitching My Tent: On Marriage, Motherhood, Friendship, and Other Leaps of Faith
  • The Managed Heart: Commercialization of Human Feeling
  • Midlife Crisis at 30
  • Sexing the Body: Gender Politics and the Construction of Sexuality
  • Modern Dating: A Field Guide
  • American Dream: Three Women, Ten Kids, and a Nation's Drive to End Welfare
  • Uses of the Erotic: The Erotic as Power
  • The Book of Woe: The DSM and the Unmaking of Psychiatry
  • The Price of Admission: How America's Ruling Class Buys Its Way into Elite Colleges -- and Who Gets Left Outside the Gates
  • Virginity or Death!: And Other Social and Political Issues of Our Time
  • The Heartless Stone: A Journey Through the World of Diamonds, Deceit, and Desire
Margaret Andersen is professor of Sociology and Women's Studies at the University of Delaware. She is the author of THINKING ABOUT WOMEN: SOCIOLOGICAL PERSPECTIVES ON SEX AND GENDER; SOCIOLOGY: UNDERSTANDING A DIVERSE SOCIETY (with Howard F. Taylor); SOCIOLOGY: THE ESSENTIALS (with Howard F. Taylor); UNDERSTANDING SOCIETY: READINGS IN SOCIOLOGY (with Kim A. Logio and Howard F. Taylor); and SOCIAL...more
More about Margaret L. Andersen...
Sociology: The Essentials Thinking about Women: Sociological Perspectives on Sex and Gender Sociology: Understanding A Diverse Society Living Art: The Life Of Paul R. Jones, African American Art Collector Understanding Society: An Introductory Reader