Making All Things New

Making All Things New

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  331 ratings  ·  27 reviews
"During the past few years, various friends have asked me, 'What do you mean when you speak about the spiritual life?' Every time this question has come up, I have wished I had a small and simple book which could offer the beginning of a response. I have felt that there was a place for a text that could be read within a few hours and could not only explain what the spiritu...more
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published June 3rd 1981)

Ian
This is short at 96 pages and is written in three sections, all of which are easy to read. But there is such powerful insight in the words Nouwen uses.

I can read his work every day as there is such wonderful clarity around the understanding of the human condition plus he writes in this wonderfully melodic style that is non-judgemental and peaceful.

The book starts with identifying busyness as a key enemy to a spiritual life. However, he highlights the fact that busyness doesn't necessarily lead t...more
Caroline Hoelscher
Must read! Nouwen is a compelling writer who explains the spiritual life in a very real and concrete way. He addresses the tensions and the paradox of the spiritual life and reveals how we can live a new life in the Spirit.

"'Being in the world without being of the world.' These words summarize well the way Jesus speaks of the spiritual life. It is a life in which we are totally transformed by the Spirit of love. Yet it is a life in which everything SEEMS to remain the same...But the spiritual l...more
Ryan Thomas Neace
Classic Nouwen. If you're read all of his other items, this is nothing terribly new, except perhaps how he fleshes out what he refers to as "the discpline of community" vs. "the discipline of solitude." The latter is a regular reference for him, but the former less so, and thinking of community as a "discipline" was a new experience for me.
Donna McDurfee
Short but powerful book I was s

I was looking for a book that talked about getting away with God. Within the first few pages I realized Rev. Nouwen was defining me and the place I find myself in. It's a short book that can be read in one sitting so you can sink your teeth into it then chew on it. I found it very helpful in giving me a goal. This book is perfect for someone needing some relief from this maddening frantic world we live in. Being alone with the Spirit of God will help bring calm in...more
Mic
So this book has crossed my path a few times. I know Nouwen struggled with some things in his life. But that doesn't mean it disqualifies his work. It means you look at the work as a whole and see if it reflects Christ and I believe this book does. The first chapter opens with the idea that the answer to our clogged, jam packed, unfulfilled life style is a Spiritual Life. By the close of the chapter the author paints the picture that this spiritual life is one that has the Kingdom of God at the...more
I really liked how Nouwen explained why we feel both fulfilled and unfulfilled, and the prevalence of loneliness in our society. Then he made a good argument for how solitude time with God and with other believers will help us lessen our worries. It will help us listen to God's words more and grow more intimate in our relationship with Jesus. A very easy to read book! I finished it in a few hours.

Favorite Quote: "Jesus responds to this condition of being filled yet unfulfilled, very busy yet un...more
Amy
Favorite quotes:

"Friendship, marriage, family, religious life and every other form of community is solitude greeting solitude, spirit speaking to spirit, and heart calling to heart."

"Worrying causes us to be 'all over the place,' but seldom at home."
Audra
Extremely short, but a wonderful invitation and an especially important reminder about how essential solitude is. I think this cuts across all religious traditions that I have personally been touched by.
Dolly King
Loved this book. Did a lenten study on this and it was just incredible. He writes so beautifully. Love Henri Nouwen!!!
NC
fair. Last chapter very good.
Margaret Zhang
I love the simplicity and brevity of this book. Clear, concise, and powerful. It was some great reinforcement for lessons I thought I had learned a long time ago (parts one and two), and I was particularly appreciative of the great practical suggestions in the third part of the book. Particularly, I loved reading about the discipline of community, because that is something I really struggle with.

I didn't give it five stars because most of it was review for me.... but note that it was much needed...more
Megsprincess87
This book is a very short book. The content was powerful. What spoke to me the most was his section on solitude. The only thing however that I really disliked about this book was that I felt like he could have gone more in depth with these sections and topics. I wanted something deeper that I could wrestle with and discuss. And I felt like it just kind of stopped short, like it just skimmed the surface. Overall though, I thought it was a great introductory to the spiritual life.
Eric Walter
Easily read within the span of a couple of hours, this small devotional is a perfect introduction not only to Nouwen's writings but also of "new monasticism". Profoundly relevant, wonderful organized and completely practical, I would gladly recommend this little book to anyone contemplating the dynamics of a contemplative life in Christ. While personally enriching this book would best be read as a primer within a community.
Lisa Lewis
Less than 100 pages, more than you bargained for. I love his writing; I am on a mission to read all his works. This work invites the reader to look closely at the human condition and its common problems and to connect our spiritual life at that point. This quote typifies the book: "the spiritual life can only be real when it is lived in the midst of the pains and joys of the here and now."
Wade
A short and easy to read book. Basically a quick overview of Nouwen's view of The Spiritual Life and the importance of communing with God's spirit in the midst of busy and worry-filled lives. The idea of The Spiritual Life is one of Nouwen's main points that he writes on repeatedly in his works and this book was meant to clear up what he meant by the term "The Spiritual Life".
Josh Luton
Nouwen offers an excellent entry point into the life of spiritual formation. This is a must read for newcomers to spiritual formation and a refreshing renewal for those who have been on the journey for a while. Take an hour or two out of your worry-filled life and follow Nouwen into a life centered on the kingdom of God, you won't regret it.
Jen
I enjoyed this very short book. Definitely a book for rereading. I underlined lotsa bits. Nothing new under the sun, but always helpful to be reminded (although he did say that your prayer life doesn't have to be something different every day- which helps me make more stable choices, instead of always trying to change it up.)
Katrina Anderson
This book really challenged me to evaluate my Christian walk. Nouwen's last section about solitude caused me to realize how involved solitude really is and determine what solitude isn't. Like Lewis and other Christian writers, Nouwen talks about advanced subjects in ways that are for non-theologians to understand.
Jared Schumacher
An outstanding spiritual resource for anyone looking to deepen their relationship with God. Nouwen makes the spiritual life at once pellucid and practical. His diagnosis of the problem facing modern spirituality is poignant and his solutions carry all the weight of orthodoxy. Buy and Read.
Monika
Nouwen talks about spiritual life. Why it is important to improve it and how one can do that better. It was a great read. Made me think about some thoughts and ideas that author talks about. I also like that he refers to the Bible and then explain his point. I definitely recommend this book.
Alexis Neal
Nothing earth shattering here. I was a little surprised that Nouwen sees worry as the primary impediment to being "spiritual," but I suppose it makes some sense. His discussion of solitude makes me want to read Foster's Celebration of Discipline (a much better book).
Kat Cooke
Greatly appreciated the format of the book. The first part seemed as though he had taken a peek at my life, exposing boredom and depression. His kingdom-focus is refreshing and delightful, and I am thankful for his application in the last section.
Jansen
Aug 26, 2012 Jansen rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jansen by: Haffly
Shelves: religion
Very short and very simplified. Might be good for someone needing something short to kick start their passion, but only filled with very simple concepts.
?A kick start to a deeper more meaningful and challenging book?
Chris Zedick
Absolutely loved it! It truly is an invitation to the spiritual life, a must read for anyone who has ever wanted a better spiritual life or who is wanting to really start upon this journey with Christ.
Tania Schramm
Simple and lovely in its message - the call to a spiritual life with God at the center. Powerful.
Cari Kaufman
It's not my favorite Nouwen book, but still classic-make-you-think Nouwen...
Kirsten
what a gentle wriiter, with great challenges!
Kathy Barron
Kathy Barron marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Grant
Grant added it
Jul 16, 2014
  • The Jesus Way: A Conversation on the Ways That Jesus Is the Way (Spiritual Theology #3)
  • Everything Belongs: The Gift of Contemplative Prayer
  • A Testament of Devotion
  • Watch for the Light: Readings for Advent and Christmas
  • The Relentless Tenderness of Jesus
  • The Great Omission: Reclaiming Jesus's Essential Teachings on Discipleship
  • The Divine Hours: Prayers for Summertime--A Manual for Prayer (v. 1)
  • Community And Growth
  • The Holy Longing: The Search for a Christian Spirituality
  • Open Mind, Open Heart: The Contemplative Dimension of the Gospel
  • Spiritual Disciplines Handbook: Practices That Transform Us
Henri Jozef Machiel Nouwen (Nouen), (1932–1996) was a Dutch-born Catholic priest and writer who authored 40 books on the spiritual life.

Nouwen's books are widely read today by Protestants and Catholics alike. The Wounded Healer, In the Name of Jesus, Clowning in Rome, The Life of the Beloved, and The Way of the Heart are just a few of the more widely recognized titles. After nearly two decades of...more
More about Henri J.M. Nouwen...
The Return of the Prodigal Son: A Story of Homecoming The Wounded Healer: Ministry in Contemporary Society In the Name of Jesus: Reflections on Christian Leadership Life of the Beloved: Spiritual Living in a Secular World The Inner Voice of Love

“Our life is a short time in expectation, a time in which sadness and joy kiss each other at every moment. There is a quality of sadness that pervades all the moments of our lives. It seems that there is no such thing as a clear-cut pure joy, but that even in the most happy moments of our existence we sense a tinge of sadness. In every satisfaction, there is an awareness of limitations. In every success, there is the fear of jealousy. Behind every smile, there is a tear. In every embrace, there is loneliness. In every friendship, distance. And in all forms of light, there is the knowledge of surrounding darkness . . . But this intimate experience in which every bit of life is touched by a bit of death can point us beyond the limits of our existence. It can do so by making us look forward in expectation to the day when our hearts will be filled with perfect joy, a joy that no one shall take away from us.” 69 likes
“One way to express the spiritual crisis of our time is to say that most of us have an address but cannot be found there.” 24 likes