Start by marking “The Key” as Want to Read:
The Key

The Key (Miss Silver #8)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  230 ratings  ·  17 reviews
The murder of a government scientist demands the attention of Miss SilverMichael Harsch’s life has never been easy. A German Jew, he fled his country when Hitler came to power, escaping the concentration camps by the skin of his teeth. His wife and daughter were not so lucky, and he vowed revenge on the Fuhrer through science. He set to work on a marvelous new explosive th ...more
Published June 28th 2011 by Open Road Media (first published 1944)

To ask other readers questions about The Key, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Key

Bev
It's the 1940s. World War II is raging and a Jewish refugee in England is working on a substance that could give Britain an edge in the war. Michael Harsch has worked for years trying to perfect his work and now he's finally ready to turn it over to the War Office. He calls Sir George Rendal to let him know of the success and makes arrangements to turn his findings and all his notes over the next day. It's an appointment that he'll never keep. Harsch goes to the church to relax with music and is ...more
Miriam
Pleasant, slightly uneven mystery involving Nazi agents in a small town. Unlike most British mysteries of this period, I found most of the characters moderately likeable. This is my first Miss Silver story and I plan to pick up one of the earlier installments eventually.
Sally
I've now read 19 of the 32 Miss Silver mysteries. This is the 8th in the series. They are all pleasant cozy reads, with different plots and new personalities for Miss Silver to observe and analyze, but other than giving a synopsis of the plot, it is hard to give a meaningful review of each one. It does seem that each one has at least one really disagreeable character that either becomes the victim of murder or turns out to be the perpetrator, and in a way that makes them satisfying. Patricia Wen ...more
Silvio111
When I first encountered Miss Silver, in book #1 of the Series (Grey Mask), I was disappointed that her characterization was so wooden and she had such scant interactions with her client.

Now, having reached book #8 of the series, The Key, I see that Patricia Wentworth has had time (in about 15 years since the first book in 1928) to develop Miss Silver. I am completely satisfied now with Miss Silver's portrayal.

In The Key, she characteristically appears in the story around page 100 of the book.
Rebecca
In WWII, Michael Harsch is a refugee Jew in England, working on a deadly explosive to aid the war effort. The day he finishes it, he is found murdered in the church where he liked to play the organ. It looks like a suicide, but people talk in a village, and visiting army major Garth Albany gathers enough evidence to call in Scotland Yard--and Miss Silver.

This was a nicely tangled mystery, well-paced, with lots of red herrings, revelations, and the requisite young love. Miss Silver shares the det
Allison Henle
As with all but the very early Miss Silver mysteries, these book features a very likable young couple, a gossipy small town, and the delightful Maude Silver herself. The plot depends a little too heavily on coincidence to win five stars from me, but is still a delightful example of Patricia Wentworth near the height of her story-telling powers.
Beth
This wasn't one of my favorites. The beginning and end were intriguing, but I felt like the middle got slow & not nearly as interesting.
Judie Eatough
The Miss Silver mysteries are lots of fun to read. Set in England in the mid 1900's (this one is during WWII) they give a glimpse into the period of time. Love Miss Silver and her busy knitting hands -- and most important -- her keen mind. Most of these are available on Amazon's new Kindle unlimited program.
Bonnie
Another"classic" style English mystery by Patricia Wentworth-very similar to Agatha Christie. A small English village, a closed social circle, eccentric characters, and murder most foul. Takes place during WWII. A scientist who had escaped from Nazi Germany but whose wife and daughter were killed, lives only to perfect a new explosive. The evening that he does, he is murdered while playing the pipe organ in the locked village church, a church for which there are only a very select number of keys ...more
Julia Hendon
Always enjoy these mysteries.
Katie
I've been reading all the Miss Silver books, and I'll probably continue reading them. This was one of the weaker ones, I think; the attempts to guide the reader to suspect perfectly innocent characters was a little clumsier than it's been in the others. Still not a bad story; just not one of the better ones.
Anna
Another gentle and well plotted Miss Silver mystery. Remarkably a book that is a product of it's time theme-wise (set during WWII) and yet does not devolve into racism against the enemy. The police are made to look rather dense and inefficient though.
Robin Fletcher
This was a fun read. All the Miss Silver books have a certain pattern - and that's not a bad thing. I can turn to them when I want a pleasant story arc.
Deb
I figured out the murderer almost immediately...that's the reason for the low rating. A bit more obfuscation would have been better...
Elizabeth S
This is one of Miss Silver's more interesting cases and I did not suspect the ending.
Jessica
a lovely romance threaded through this mystery.
Nicole
Miss Maud Silver
Rhonda
Rhonda marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2015
Sheron Goldin
Sheron Goldin marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2015
Sheila
Sheila added it
Jun 23, 2015
Kate Harris
Kate Harris marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2015
Bernice
Bernice marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2015
Sophie
Sophie added it
Jun 13, 2015
Corey
Corey marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2015
Lynn Demsky
Lynn Demsky marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2015
Marj
Marj marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2015
Jackie
Jackie marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2015
  • Mr. Campion's Farthing (Albert Campion Mystery #20)
  • Duplicate Death (Inspector Hemingway Mystery #3)
  • Pigeons from Hell
  • When in Rome (Roderick Alleyn, #26)
  • Death in the Andamans (Death In..., #6)
  • The Way of the Guilty (Hope Street Church Mystery, #3)
  • Flight of a Witch (Felse, #3)
Patricia Wentworth--born Dora Amy Elles--was a British crime fiction writer.

She was educated privately and at Blackheath High School in London. After the death of her first husband, George F. Dillon, in 1906, she settled in Camberley, Surrey. She married George Oliver Turnbull in 1920 and they had one daughter.

She wrote a series of 32 classic-style whodunnits featuring Miss Silver, the first of wh
More about Patricia Wentworth...

Miss Silver (1 - 10 of 32 books)
  • Grey Mask (Miss Silver, #1)
  • The Case Is Closed (Miss Silver, #2)
  • Lonesome Road (Miss Silver, #3)
  • Danger Point (Miss Silver, #4)
  • The Chinese Shawl (Miss Silver, #5)
  • Miss Silver Deals With Death (Miss Silver, #6)
  • The Clock Strikes Twelve (Miss Silver, #7)
  • She Came Back (Miss Silver, #9)
  • Pilgrim's Rest (Miss Silver, #10)
  • Latter End (Miss Silver, #11)
Grey Mask (Miss Silver, #1) Miss Silver Comes to Stay (Miss Silver, #16) The Case Is Closed (Miss Silver, #2) Poison in the Pen (Miss Silver, #29) The Catherine Wheel (Miss Silver, #15)