Start by marking “The Clock Strikes Twelve” as Want to Read:
The Clock Strikes Twelve

The Clock Strikes Twelve (Miss Silver #7)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  406 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Miss Silver investigates the murder of a great British industrialistThough they share a manor house, the Paradines are not close, and their patriarch does nothing to discourage the petty jealousies that divide wealthy families. A cold figure, James Paradine prefers work to his relations, but on New Year’s Eve he convenes the household. Valuable plans have been stolen from ...more
Published June 28th 2011 by Open Road Media (first published 1944)

To ask other readers questions about The Clock Strikes Twelve, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Clock Strikes Twelve

Renee Robinson
The Clock Strikes Twelve by Patricia Wentworth:- The era is a time during te World War 1. The clock rings in a New Year at midnight just as someone is murdered. There are more than a few unlikeable personalities running around within this book. It kind of makes the reader wish they would all get picked by the police just for being the nerve-racking menaces which they are.
A party takes place on News Year. This reminds me of a Sherlock Holmes mystery of “Who done it”. A house holiday celebration.
Silvio111
Now I finally appreciate Miss Silver. After reading #1 in this series, I was not impressed with her personality. But The Clock Strikes Twelve is #7, and Miss Silver truly engages with the people she is investigating, and her character has been filled in quite a bit more since the beginning of series.
The plot in this one is pretty good with many twists and turns, and none of the characters made me cringe, although I did get a bit tired of the author impressing me with the red color scheme in Mr.
Rebecca
The year is 1940, the place is a small town in England, and the stage is set for a classic mystery, complete with manor house full of suspects. At dinner on New Year's Eve, with family and colleagues surrounding him, patriarch James Paradine announces that someone has betrayed the family, and he knows who it is. He will stay in his study until the clock strikes midnight, and if someone comes to confess, he will treat them gently. By midnight, he is lying dead beneath the terrace parapet, and it ...more
Vanessa Delamare
I confess to having a soft spot for Victorian novels, even if they are not the ones I read the most. My first steps in the world of investigation were done with Agatha Christie - Poirot especially, but also Miss Marple - and I find and enjoy here the same spirit and the same kind of character.

Talking characters, Miss Silver is a very nice old lady despite her very schoolteacher side - a very useful side however to get people talking. She is a true romantic judging by her penchant to help lovers.
Bames
The Clock Strikes Twelve is basically a "whodunit." The story is set in the 1940's England in a town called Birleton and revolves around the family of Mr. James Paradine. On New Year's Eve, Mr. Paradine calls up Elliot Wray and asked him to urgently come to his home as there was a very serious matter that needed to be attended to. When Elliot arrived, Mr. Paradine informed him that a blueprint was missing but that he is sure it will be found by midnight. Elliot was told that he would have to sta ...more
Night Fury
The clock strikes twelve
All the people cry 'O Hell!'
A bomb's been flung
On the family interests which has wrung
Out the secrets, mysteries, unsolved fantasies
Claimed shame, and fame, but who's to be blamed?
Defiance, Distrust, Diabolical schemes
Are being coaxed in their heads...
And all this time,with that sardonic pride
Awaits the one in the Study room...
He can wait all he wants... but who's to come?
Don't bet all your cards
Till the clock strikes twelve
And more than one man cries 'O He
The Clock Strikes Twelve by Patricia Wentworth is a delightful classic mystery, featuring Miss Silver, an elderly lady who knits and solves crimes. If that sounds like Agatha Christie’s Miss Marple, then you are right on the money. Patricia Wentworth wrote 32 Miss Silver mysteries, which are sadly out of print. Fortunately, Open Road Media has republished all 32 novels in e-book format. http://www.openroadmedia.com/patricia... I was lucky enough to get one of these through Net Galley.
The Miss Si
Deb Novack
At a New Year's Eve celebration hosted by James Paradine he makes an announcement that something has been stolen from him and must be returned to him by midnight. The entire family is in shock at midnight when James is found dead. Miss Silver is called in to find the killer.
This is a well written cozy mystery and has a cast of characters that any of them could have been the murderer.

***This book was received in exchange for an honest review.***
4cats
Patricia Wentworth's classic whodunits have been in print since the late 1920's, her heroine is Miss Maud Silver who is a retired governess turned private detective, her age and demeanor makes her seem unthreatening and it is this which allows her to investigate the dubious goings on within the houses of the British upper classes.

In The Clock Strikes Twelve, Miss Silver is called upon to delve into the death of the head of the Paradine family. When valuable documents are taken, James Paradine an
Joy
James Paradine, war industries tycoon, has had important blueprints stolen out from under his nose. He announces to his family at dinner that if the thief confesses by midnight, he will go easier on him or her. Instead, he falls off his back terrace to his death. The killer has to be one of the ten people present for his announcement.

A classic British manor mystery, THE CLOCK STRIKES TWELVE relies more heavily on clues and timing and less on an understanding of human nature than Wentworth's late
Sally
There are many other reviews of this book that say pretty much what I would. It's not the mystery solving that captures the reader, but the laying out of characters, the conversations and the quiet kindness and cleverness of Miss Silver. I think it is true that there are more disagreeable characters in this book than in others of the series.
Nicole
Mr. James Paradine has the family called together because of various problems he has uncovered. He chose New Years Eve to disclose and resolve the problems but is murdered instead.
Elliot Wray, the estranged husband of his adopted niece Phyllida, and James' sister Grace, who runs James' household form one set of problems that interlink with the family and their business. Jame's personal secretary is a cousin Albert Pearson. Jame's nephew Frank Ambrose is married to the neurotic Irene but also has
Julie
Another great Miss Silver mystery. A man is killed after accusing someone in his family of stealing some documents. All members of the family had opportunity. It takes Miss Silver to sort through it all and figure out the answer. It is even a puzzler to her until the last few minutes...Good read.
Sara
One of the best Wentworths. Beautifully handled plot. Emotionally damaged dictatorial matriarchs feature often in Wentworth's books - it's particularly satisfying to see the weaker characters rise up, show some guts, and turn the tables. The patriarch of this story is ironic, quixotic, and in the end quite lovable. I enjoy Wentworth's frequent use of the phrase "he thought a lot of" someone, meaning he valued that person. I often heard my parents use that phraseology when growing up in the USA i ...more
Betsy Brown
While the mystery wasn't bad, the annoying habits of some of the characters lessened my enjoyment. Irene was especially annoying, and Miss Silver's pointed cough set my teeth on edge.
Kris
4 STARS

(I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review).

Patriarch James Paradine invites his family over on New Year's Eve to confront them. Someone has stolen blueprints and Paradine knows who and that it is one of his close family members. He gives the thief until midnight to come clean. A few minutes after the clock strikes twelve James Paradine is found dead and whoever stole the blueprints is the murderer.

Another case where everyone seems like a suspect until Miss. Silv
Linda
I just recently discovered Patricia Wentworth's Miss Silver, I just love them. I read about 4 so far and I'm searching for more.
Marie
love my comfort reads
Nancy K
This was my second Patricia Wentworth novel and I have enjoyed them both. They are well plotted character built old fashioned murder mysteries. I have added them to my Audible Library and I hope to add more of her titles to my Audible collection. This book centers around a dysfunctional family coming together for a celebration and the patriarch of the family is murdered after accusing one of the families of stealing important documents from his office.
Bill
All seems well at this English estate, but it houses a family and has company related characters with as many compulsions, problems, and criminal leanings as you’ll find in the most desperate of neighborhoods. Miss Silver, the calm and quiet, dowdy detective comes to the rescue, with her knitting and her quiet cough she uses to probe for motives and reasons that drive these characters to theft and, of course, murder. This is a delicious mystery for a quiet evening.
Emmkay
3.5 stars. I am enjoying re-reading the Miss Silver books after many years - they stand up very well indeed in the pantheon of classic British mysteries. This one is perhaps a bit slower than the other one I re-read recently, and the conclusion owes a little more to happenstance. Miss Silver herself is a fairly muted presence. Still good fun, though.
Grey853
Bee
A good British country house murder mystery. Miss Silver definitely was reminiscent of Miss Marple. There was a nice twist at the end, even after I thought all had been revealed. I'll check out more in this series.
Grace
This Miss Silver mystery was very good. There was so much familial interplay, with relationships that were complex and relatable. Plus some great red herrings thrown in for good measure.
Elizabeth S
This book is one of Wentworth's best. Miss Silver pulls out her needles and solves the mystery with ease. Now if only there where Miss Silver movies.
CLM
Not as good upon reread. I prefer Wentworth's brave resolute heroines than the ones who are always sobbing or fainting.
Julie
Wentworth is in a similar vein to Agatha Christie, but it gentler and more amusing.
Katrina
An enjoyable family based murder mystery.
Alex
A well-done classical whodunnit.
  • The White Cottage Mystery
  • The Unfinished Clue
  • Tied Up In Tinsel (Roderick Alleyn, #27)
  • Death at the Opera (Mrs. Bradley, #5)
  • Archie Meets Nero Wolfe: A Prequel to Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe Mysteries (Nero Wolfe Novels by Robert Goldsborough #8)
  • Forbidden Fruit (Corinna Chapman, #5)
  • A Mysterious Affair of Style
  • The Shooting in the Shop (Fethering, #11)
  • A Dash of Murder (Betsy Livingston / Pecan Bayou #1)
Patricia Wentworth--born Dora Amy Elles--was a British crime fiction writer.

She was educated privately and at Blackheath High School in London. After the death of her first husband, George F. Dillon, in 1906, she settled in Camberley, Surrey. She married George Oliver Turnbull in 1920 and they had one daughter.

She wrote a series of 32 classic-style whodunnits featuring Miss Silver, the first of wh
More about Patricia Wentworth...

Miss Silver (1 - 10 of 32 books)
  • Grey Mask (Miss Silver, #1)
  • The Case Is Closed (Miss Silver, #2)
  • Lonesome Road (Miss Silver, #3)
  • Danger Point (Miss Silver, #4)
  • The Chinese Shawl (Miss Silver, #5)
  • Miss Silver Deals With Death (Miss Silver, #6)
  • The Key (Miss Silver, #8)
  • She Came Back (Miss Silver, #9)
  • Pilgrim's Rest (Miss Silver, #10)
  • Latter End (Miss Silver, #11)
Grey Mask (Miss Silver, #1) Miss Silver Comes to Stay (Miss Silver, #16) The Case Is Closed (Miss Silver, #2) Poison in the Pen (Miss Silver, #29) The Catherine Wheel (Miss Silver, #15)