Start by marking “The Clock Strikes Twelve” as Want to Read:
The Clock Strikes Twelve

The Clock Strikes Twelve (Miss Silver #7)

Miss Silver investigates the murder of a great British industrialistThough they share a manor house, the Paradines are not close, and their patriarch does nothing to discourage the petty jealousies that divide wealthy families. A cold figure, James Paradine prefers work to his relations, but on New Year’s Eve he convenes the household. Valuable plans have been stolen from ...more
Published June 28th 2011 by Open Road Media Mystery & Thriller (first published 1944)

To ask other readers questions about The Clock Strikes Twelve, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Clock Strikes Twelve

Carol ♛ Type, Oh Queen! ♛
Jun 19, 2015 Carol ♛ Type, Oh Queen! ♛ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Golden Age Mysteries
My vision while reading this was that I was in an old black & white movie. I could hear the crackle of the film as I watched the action unfold on the screen. & there we were with a dinner party of what turn out to be all the suspects & The Future Corpse doing everything short of putting a sign that says "Murder Me!" on his back. The crime happen & as usual in the Golden Age crimes, no one wastes too much time on lower class actions like grief.

It's all moving along at a very pleas
Mo
Mar 10, 2016 Mo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An old-fashioned whodunit, with lots of twists and turns.
Silvio111
May 25, 2014 Silvio111 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Now I finally appreciate Miss Silver. After reading #1 in this series, I was not impressed with her personality. But The Clock Strikes Twelve is #7, and Miss Silver truly engages with the people she is investigating, and her character has been filled in quite a bit more since the beginning of series.
The plot in this one is pretty good with many twists and turns, and none of the characters made me cringe, although I did get a bit tired of the author impressing me with the red color scheme in Mr.
Renee Robinson
The Clock Strikes Twelve by Patricia Wentworth:- The era is a time during te World War 1. The clock rings in a New Year at midnight just as someone is murdered. There are more than a few unlikeable personalities running around within this book. It kind of makes the reader wish they would all get picked by the police just for being the nerve-racking menaces which they are.
A party takes place on News Year. This reminds me of a Sherlock Holmes mystery of “Who done it”. A house holiday celebration.
Night Fury
Jan 12, 2012 Night Fury rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The clock strikes twelve
All the people cry 'O Hell!'
A bomb's been flung
On the family interests which has wrung
Out the secrets, mysteries, unsolved fantasies
Claimed shame, and fame, but who's to be blamed?
Defiance, Distrust, Diabolical schemes
Are being coaxed in their heads...
And all this time,with that sardonic pride
Awaits the one in the Study room...
He can wait all he wants... but who's to come?
Don't bet all your cards
Till the clock strikes twelve
And more than one man cries 'O He
Jul 05, 2013 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, golden-age, 2013
The Clock Strikes Twelve by Patricia Wentworth is a delightful classic mystery, featuring Miss Silver, an elderly lady who knits and solves crimes. If that sounds like Agatha Christie’s Miss Marple, then you are right on the money. Patricia Wentworth wrote 32 Miss Silver mysteries, which are sadly out of print. Fortunately, Open Road Media has republished all 32 novels in e-book format. http://www.openroadmedia.com/patricia... I was lucky enough to get one of these through Net Galley.
The Miss Si
Susan
Aug 30, 2016 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
New year's Eve 1941 and the Paradine family and their relations are sitting around the dining table when the head of the family Mr James Paradine announcing that a crime has been committed and he knows that it was one of the family, and he wishes the guilty to admit this by midnight.
When James Parridine is murdered Miss Maud Silver in invited to try and solve the crime.
A nice intriguing mystery.
Sara
Feb 26, 2011 Sara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the best Wentworths. Beautifully handled plot. Emotionally damaged dictatorial matriarchs feature often in Wentworth's books - it's particularly satisfying to see the weaker characters rise up, show some guts, and turn the tables. The patriarch of this story is ironic, quixotic, and in the end quite lovable. I enjoy Wentworth's frequent use of the phrase "he thought a lot of" someone, meaning he valued that person. I often heard my parents use that phraseology when growing up in the USA i ...more
Melinda
Jul 19, 2016 Melinda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first but not last Miss Silver Mystery. The only thing I found mildly annoying was all the coughing.
Andrea
Apr 16, 2016 Andrea rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It’s New Year’s Eve 1942, and Paradine family patriarch James Paradine is missing some vital business documents. He knows who has taken them, and at the end of the formal family dinner, he announces that he will wait in his study until midnight for a confession, as well as the return of the blueprints.

With everyone in the house under suspicion, the year is not ending well. The atmosphere in the house becomes tense, as James’s nephews Mark and Richard, his step-children Frank and Brenda, as well
Betsy
Jan 30, 2015 Betsy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
While the mystery wasn't bad, the annoying habits of some of the characters lessened my enjoyment. Irene was especially annoying, and Miss Silver's pointed cough set my teeth on edge.
CLM
Not as good upon reread. I prefer Wentworth's brave resolute heroines than the ones who are always sobbing or fainting.
Hannah
Jul 04, 2016 Hannah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The cover and the plot summary of this book, given to me by my Nana, were both unprepossessing. In some ways, the writing lived up to the expectation: some of the dialogue was so obviously constructed for cheap drama, and the introduction of Miss Silver (horrible name, lacklustre detective) was clunking. That being said, Wentworth wrote a neat enough little mystery, in a vividly described setting, with some quite powerful characters, and a couple of enjoyable romantic subplots. Was undecided whe ...more
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Clock Strikes Twelve (Miss Silver #7), Patricia Wentworth
Rebecca
Oct 06, 2012 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The year is 1940, the place is a small town in England, and the stage is set for a classic mystery, complete with manor house full of suspects. At dinner on New Year's Eve, with family and colleagues surrounding him, patriarch James Paradine announces that someone has betrayed the family, and he knows who it is. He will stay in his study until the clock strikes midnight, and if someone comes to confess, he will treat them gently. By midnight, he is lying dead beneath the terrace parapet, and it ...more
Vanessa Delamare
Jul 18, 2013 Vanessa Delamare rated it really liked it
I confess to having a soft spot for Victorian novels, even if they are not the ones I read the most. My first steps in the world of investigation were done with Agatha Christie - Poirot especially, but also Miss Marple - and I find and enjoy here the same spirit and the same kind of character.

Talking characters, Miss Silver is a very nice old lady despite her very schoolteacher side - a very useful side however to get people talking. She is a true romantic judging by her penchant to help lovers.
Bames
Jun 24, 2013 Bames rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
The Clock Strikes Twelve is basically a "whodunit." The story is set in the 1940's England in a town called Birleton and revolves around the family of Mr. James Paradine. On New Year's Eve, Mr. Paradine calls up Elliot Wray and asked him to urgently come to his home as there was a very serious matter that needed to be attended to. When Elliot arrived, Mr. Paradine informed him that a blueprint was missing but that he is sure it will be found by midnight. Elliot was told that he would have to sta ...more
Deb Novack
At a New Year's Eve celebration hosted by James Paradine he makes an announcement that something has been stolen from him and must be returned to him by midnight. The entire family is in shock at midnight when James is found dead. Miss Silver is called in to find the killer.
This is a well written cozy mystery and has a cast of characters that any of them could have been the murderer.

***This book was received in exchange for an honest review.***
4cats
Jul 07, 2013 4cats rated it liked it
Patricia Wentworth's classic whodunits have been in print since the late 1920's, her heroine is Miss Maud Silver who is a retired governess turned private detective, her age and demeanor makes her seem unthreatening and it is this which allows her to investigate the dubious goings on within the houses of the British upper classes.

In The Clock Strikes Twelve, Miss Silver is called upon to delve into the death of the head of the Paradine family. When valuable documents are taken, James Paradine an
Joy
Jul 16, 2011 Joy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
James Paradine, war industries tycoon, has had important blueprints stolen out from under his nose. He announces to his family at dinner that if the thief confesses by midnight, he will go easier on him or her. Instead, he falls off his back terrace to his death. The killer has to be one of the ten people present for his announcement.

A classic British manor mystery, THE CLOCK STRIKES TWELVE relies more heavily on clues and timing and less on an understanding of human nature than Wentworth's late
Katherine Rowland
I had read a previous Miss Silver mystery and been unimpressed, but this one was much defter and more engaging. A traditional cozy very much in the Golden Age tradition, full of emotions and angst. The detection is kept to a minimum, though, and it is not a fair play mystery. The book is much more focused on the players and their relationships, but that doesn't keep it from being satisfying.
Sally
Sep 10, 2014 Sally rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
There are many other reviews of this book that say pretty much what I would. It's not the mystery solving that captures the reader, but the laying out of characters, the conversations and the quiet kindness and cleverness of Miss Silver. I think it is true that there are more disagreeable characters in this book than in others of the series.
Lynn Demsky
Jun 12, 2015 Lynn Demsky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Elderly patriarch James Paradine is murdered on New Year's Eve after confronting a relative and demanding a confession, and the redoubtable Miss Maud Silver is charged with identifying a killer among several suspects.”

This was a good read but a tad too detailed (making it boring in spots) with not enough about the actual characters involved.
Nicole
Jun 27, 2008 Nicole rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Mr. James Paradine has the family called together because of various problems he has uncovered. He chose New Years Eve to disclose and resolve the problems but is murdered instead.
Elliot Wray, the estranged husband of his adopted niece Phyllida, and James' sister Grace, who runs James' household form one set of problems that interlink with the family and their business. Jame's personal secretary is a cousin Albert Pearson. Jame's nephew Frank Ambrose is married to the neurotic Irene but also has
Julie
Jul 15, 2014 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great Miss Silver mystery. A man is killed after accusing someone in his family of stealing some documents. All members of the family had opportunity. It takes Miss Silver to sort through it all and figure out the answer. It is even a puzzler to her until the last few minutes...Good read.
Jazz
Published in 1944, this was my first introduction to Miss Silver, who I found to be similar to Miss Marple, but without her wit and her ability to "question" suspects without being noticed. The "whodunnit" was intriguing enough, but for some reason I had trouble getting to the end even though it's a relatively short book.
Amanda
May 29, 2016 Amanda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Any time Patricia Wentworth sets a character up as controlling, they are either the victim or the killer.

These books are as much about tortured love as they are about the murder.
Kris - My Novelesque Life
4 STARS

(I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review).

Patriarch James Paradine invites his family over on New Year's Eve to confront them. Someone has stolen blueprints and Paradine knows who and that it is one of his close family members. He gives the thief until midnight to come clean. A few minutes after the clock strikes twelve James Paradine is found dead and whoever stole the blueprints is the murderer.

Another case where everyone seems like a suspect until Miss. Silv
Linda
Mar 14, 2014 Linda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just recently discovered Patricia Wentworth's Miss Silver, I just love them. I read about 4 so far and I'm searching for more.
Ella's Gran
An old school English mystery from the Golden Age. Wentworth and Christie both created their female amatuer sleuths within months of each other. Miss Silver is similar to Christie's Miss Marple - even down to her knitting! The difference in their method is Silver overtly investigates, while Marple is more a fluffy little old lady observing. I don't recall having read any of Wentworth's mysteries before. I enjoyed the mystery and felt it picked up when Miss Silver entered the story. I liked the n ...more
  • More Work for the Undertaker (Albert Campion Mystery, #13)
  • Death at the Opera (Mrs. Bradley, #5)
  • Died in the Wool (Roderick Alleyn, #13)
  • The Affair of the Mutilated Mink (Burford Family Mysteries, #2)
  • The Unfinished Clue
  • The Treasure at Poldarrow Point  (Angela Marchmont Mystery #3)
  • Archie Meets Nero Wolfe: A Prequel to Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe Mysteries (Nero Wolfe Novels by Robert Goldsborough #8)
  • Death in the Andamans (Death In..., #6)
  • The Christmas Wassail (Roger the Chapman #22)
  • The Religious Body (Inspector Sloan #1)
  • Dead in the Water (Daisy Dalrymple, #6)
Patricia Wentworth--born Dora Amy Elles--was a British crime fiction writer.

She was educated privately and at Blackheath High School in London. After the death of her first husband, George F. Dillon, in 1906, she settled in Camberley, Surrey. She married George Oliver Turnbull in 1920 and they had one daughter.

She wrote a series of 32 classic-style whodunnits featuring Miss Silver, the first of wh
More about Patricia Wentworth...

Miss Silver (1 - 10 of 32 books)
  • Grey Mask (Miss Silver, #1)
  • The Case Is Closed (Miss Silver, #2)
  • Lonesome Road (Miss Silver, #3)
  • Danger Point (Miss Silver, #4)
  • The Chinese Shawl (Miss Silver, #5)
  • Miss Silver Deals With Death (Miss Silver, #6)
  • The Key (Miss Silver, #8)
  • She Came Back (Miss Silver, #9)
  • Pilgrim's Rest (Miss Silver, #10)
  • Latter End (Miss Silver, #11)