Start by marking “My Summer in a Garden, and Calvin: A Study of Character (Dodo Press)” as Want to Read:
My Summer in a Garden, and Calvin: A Study of Character (Dodo Press)

My Summer in a Garden, and Calvin: A Study of Character (Dodo Press)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  51 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Charles Dudley Warner (1829-1900) was an American essayist and novelist. He worked with a surveying party in Missouri; studied law at the University of Pennsylvania; practiced in Chicago; was assistant editor (1860) and editor (1861-1867) of The Hartford Press, and after The Press was merged into The Hartford Courant, was co-editor with Joseph R Hawley; in 1884 he joined t ...more
Published March 21st 2008 by Dodo Press (first published 1871)

To ask other readers questions about My Summer in a Garden, and Calvin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Summer in a Garden, and Calvin

Leslie
This is a lighthearted and funny collection of essays about the author's summer of gardening and all the problems he ran into. And there is quite alot about his amazing cat. Really, the cat was awesome. He got a whole chapter that I'm not ashamed to report brought tears to my eyes. Free from Amazon for Kindle, though was as good as Beverley Nichols' garden books. These were American and about an edible garden. The bits about the naughty neighbor kids who ate all his goodies before he could have ...more
Summer Larson
I have found a kindred spirit in Charles Dudley Warner. The bad news is that he has been dead for 100 years like most of my literary kindred spirits. The good news is that he was a close friend of Mark Twain which means maybe I would have been as well if circumstances had allowed. This funny collection of essays hooked me from the first paragraph: "The love of dirt is among the earliest of passions, as it is the latest. Mud pies gratify one of our first and best instincts. So long as we are dirt ...more
Christina Bellamy
My OH son gave me this little book as he knows me well in this realm of reading about gardening. Charles Dudley Warner, a 19th cent. journalist writes about much more than nicotiana: "The garden thus becomes a moral agent, a test of character, as it was in the beginning". Ah, so.
I picked this up in part because Michael Pollan is the series editor. The essays were orginally written as chatty newspaper gardening columns, and that makes this a good piecemeal read. The language is not modern, but is very accessible despite the age of the pieces, and exudes a quaint literary patina.
Heidi
Late 1800's take on gardenng...some things don't change much! Really enjoyed the authors commentary and could not resist reading passages out loud to whichever unfortunate family member happened to be in the room at the time. Bless 'em, they thought it was funny too.
Jennifer Johnson
So deliciously witty and wise. Anyone who has spent a summer cultivating a garden will appreciate Warner's conclusions and tongue in cheek theories. Loved every week of this sage memoir. Laughed out loud again and again.
David
A joy to read. Warner has John Burroughs' depth and sensitivity, and adds value with humor and style. Totally enjoyable. I'm now reading Warner's 'In the Wilderness' and the first few vignettes have been just wonderful.
Soapykitty
I love to garden so I thought I would love this book.I didn't and I was pretty much falling asleep whenever I started to read it.
Belinda
This is a charming and humourous book about life in the early 1900's. It's really quite irresistable, once you get into it.
Louise
*about halfway through*
CDW has a great sense of humor :-)
Sofar I'm really enjoying this.
Jan
Purslane, which he calls pursley, a problem then, a problem now.
Michigankim
Loved his sense of humor.
Timothy Hopkins
Timothy Hopkins marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Celia
Celia is currently reading it
Jan 04, 2015
Deval Patel
Deval Patel marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Julia
Julia marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Tori
Tori marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2014
Jan Ryberg brod
Jan Ryberg brod marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Joseph
Joseph added it
Aug 31, 2014
Lee
Lee marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Carolyn
Carolyn marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Charles Dudley Warner was an American essayist, novelist, and friend of Mark Twain, with whom he co-authored the novel The Gilded Age: A Tale of Today.

Warner travelled widely, lectured frequently, and was actively interested in prison reform, city park supervision, and other movements for the public good. He was the first president of the National Institute of Arts and Letters, and, at the time of
More about Charles Dudley Warner...
The Story of Pocahantas In the Wilderness Being a Boy American Newspaper On Horseback in Virginia: Riding Through the Old South