Start by marking “Sshhhh!” as Want to Read:
Sshhhh!

Sshhhh!

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  833 ratings  ·  32 reviews
From the multiple Eisner and Harvey Award-winning author comes this
sharp suite of short tales, ranging from the funny to the terrifying to
the surreal to the touching, all told entirely in pantomime. Like Chris
Ware, Jason's clean, deadpan style (featuring animal-headed characters
with mask-like faces) hides a wealth of emotion and human complexity,
leavened with a wicked wit.
Published August 17th 2002 by Fantagraphics (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Sshhhh!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sshhhh!

Jason
Grim, bleak sense of humor only more enhanced by the placid face of his anonymous animals. They embark on journeys, either simple (going to work) or heroic (rescuing the princess from the castle) with the same dreadful eye-open stare. This creates that dramatic pause that is so prevalent in comedy today, the breaking of the fourth wall (Like Jim in The Office). It is like his big eyed birds are staring at you as they confront awkward situations. This book is very jumpy allowing years to happen i ...more
Nick Ragust
This comic is very interesting in the sense that it can fully offer a compelling story about a bird living in a modern world in absolute silence but the artwork offers more dialogue than words can say. I can see exactly how the bird (Jason?) is feeling at every moment. He's a very dynamic character through the dead silence of just pictures. I can hear him in my thoughts if you kind of know what I mean
Anthony Amorelli
I liked how he was able to tell the story very well without words you can easily tell what's happening and how the characters feel without reading anything and it was just an all around good book
Dan
Jul 04, 2007 Dan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who like pantomime
Probably my favorite graphic novel. A collection of short stories all done completely visually--no words. Jason has a great anthropomorphic, minimalist style. This book holds up to multiple readings, which is important given the high cost of graphic novels.
Erik Hawksley
This novel was weird, it had no words, and everybody in our class called it bird nipples. But it was pretty interesting and I enjoyed it cover to cover. This novel is about a bird man, this bird man has a wife/girlfriend, a house, all the things a birdman needs. He goes throughout his life and some weird things happen. That's pretty much the entire plot haha. Since it's wordless the whole novel relies on it's art, which is spectacular. the artist "Jason" really has his own unique style that work ...more
Fantagraphics Books
We're publishing a new edition of this book this fall.
Justin Lowmaster
A story told with only pictures. In my opinion, it wasn't as good as The Arrival which also is pictures only.

Naturally, they both tell very different stories, but The Arrival tells a story I can follow all the way from start to finish, and enjoy it. Sshhhh! is confusing and doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. I started out good, then after a point stopped making a lot of sense.

Time doesn't seem linear in Sshhhh!. It moves back and forth, or it resets, I'm really not sure. The best explanat
Trebro
A series of shorts that have a loose connection by Jason, a cartoonist who writes primarily silent stories (hence the name) that always have a dark comedic theme to them.

There are ten tales in this one, varying in length, that seem to feature the same main character though the events that happen don't always mesh up. He's tragic lover, reluctant father, death's companion, and even invisible, depending on the story.

Jason's dynamic visual style and ability to get across his character's feelings w
Przemek Skoczyński
Jason powoli awansuje do miana mojego ulubionego twórcy komiksów. Nie przeszkadza mi, że ta pozycja (podobnie jak "Stój...") jest dziełkiem mrocznym i depresyjnym. Pozornie abstrakcyjne opowieści o samotności, śmierci i jeszcze kilku ważnych sprawach, z aktorami o zwierzęcych buźkach kompletnie pozbawionych emocji. Mistrz.
Zack Patten
This book was pretty good but it was really weird and confusing. I'm not sure if it all followed the same story or if every chapter was a different short story. But overall it was still a good read and would definitely recommend it.
Markku Kesti
Mykkiä ruutuja. Samsonin Musta Hevonen tekee saman paremmin.
Jan Potměšil
One of best things I ever read.
Janina
Low Moon's inferior cousin.
Eden
Dismal, powerful
Jason
It takes a few reading to tease out some of the themes in this one. It's a little confusing because the protagonist in all of the short stories is the same tweed-jacketed, fedora-wearing character. Perhaps he is to be interpreted as an everyman, as he deals with love and loss and parenthood and jealousy and death and anonymity... there are no words, but a lot is being said. Take your time with this one.
Charlie Anderson
I love Jason's comics. His minimal style allows me to input whatever I feel into the pages, and every time I read many of his stories, I leave having taken something new from the story. This is exceptionally evident in Sshhhh! (having no words whatsoever).
Fernando Suastegui
Impresionante como una novela gráfica muda y con personajes que pueden parecer tan infantiles puede transmitir tantas metáforas maduras. Bellisimamente bien logrado.
Qa'id
Not one piece of text in this entire book, and the story it tells through its images is hilarious, heart breaking, inspiring, and very deep. Genius.
Anwar Vázquez
Buenísimo! Unas historias contadas con todas las bondades de la historieta, sin diálogos aparentes pero con grandes ideas. Muy recomendable.
Rick
amazing silent graphic novel. would recommend picking it up if you happen to find it, without paying seventy dollars of course.
A
Cute and sad, but are the stories connected? Alternate lives? Reading this without any context left me wondering.
Jackson Nieuwland
Either Jason's least cohesive novel or his most cohesive set of shorts. Didn't grab me as much as his other work
A. Gamble
There's a video of one of the stories: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-sccb...
Tim
Wordless short stories with a heavy use of pictoral methaphors.
Oriana
Jan 25, 2009 Oriana marked it as to-read
Seriously. Really. It is effing time for me to read Jason already.
Mariah Drakoulis
Clever, but.. I didn't really feel anything spectacular.
Andrea
This silent comic is touching and gorgeous.
Keaton Tips
This book opened my eyes in so many ways
Sandra
Quiet. Spare. Sad. Lovely.
  • Isle of 100,000 Graves
  • Abandon the Old in Tokyo
  • The Clouds Above
  • Poem Strip
  • Pinocchio
John Arne Sæterøy (born 16 May 1965 in Molde), better known by the pen name Jason, is a Norwegian cartoonist, known for his sparse drawing style and silent, anthropomorphic animal characters.

He has been nominated for two Ignatz Awards (2000: Outstanding Story and Outstanding Series, 2001: Outstanding Story and Outstanding Series), has received praise in Time, and won the Harvey Award for best new
More about Jason...
I Killed Adolf Hitler Hey, Wait... Low Moon Why Are You Doing This? The Left Bank Gang