Start by marking “Isens gåta” as Want to Read:
Isens gåta

Isens gåta

3.4  ·  Rating Details ·  3,846 Ratings  ·  376 Reviews
Another cutting-edge thriller set at the intersection of science, religion, and history from the bestselling author of The Last Templar

New York Times bestselling author Raymond Khoury, whose debut novel, The Last Templar, has sold more than a million copies in the United States, and whose second, The Sanctuary, was also a major national bestseller, returns with The Sign.

Published May 2010 by Norstedts (first published May 19th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Isens gåta, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Patrick Gibson
Jun 04, 2010 Patrick Gibson rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: snorgasm
I didn’t like ‘The Last Templar’ so why read another pulp novel by a hack? Well . . .made curious by the cover blurb and 50 cents at a yard sale, I found it hard to resist. Thank God I didn’t pay 75 cents or you would still be hearing my screams.
I don’t mind bad writing. I sometimes reread things I write—and I tolerate myself (on even days). What gets my goat is having a really good idea totally fucked by someone with the literary style of a twelve year old.

This was so bad, I actually started re
Richard Gazala
Mar 13, 2010 Richard Gazala rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some reviewers here and elsewhere of Raymond Khoury's engaging new thriller, The Sign, focus attention on Khoury's alleged attacks on certain political and/or religious beliefs they assume he belittles. I see the novel as something other and more abstract than mere vilification of George W. Bush, religion, or global warming skeptics.

The Sign examines the power of iconography and symbology in a conflicted world teeming with deeply held and seemingly irreconcilable political, bureaucratic, religio
Mark
Feb 14, 2009 Mark rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As you might expect from the plot summary, The Sign is a fast-paced tale of life-changing prophecy and global events. Therefore with such a premise, the plot is not exactly un-ambitious, but it is competently written to satisfy most thriller readers. So we have here many of the aspects expected from such a novel: a fast pace from the start, broad global range, a large range of typical characters (hot female reporter, concerned innocents unwittingly dragged into increasingly significant events, n ...more
Octavio
Feb 14, 2011 Octavio rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
While I enjoyed Khoury previous book, the Sanctuary, I cannot say the same for the Sign. The whole science-fiction story, just an effort to deride organized religion? One of the points stated in the book is how divided we are as a nation and of course one of the major causes implied is organized religion and people following 2000 year old myths and symbols such as the cross. If Mr. Khoury believes on a particular organized religion or not, if he does believe on a God or not, most Christians woul ...more
Lawrence
Aug 25, 2011 Lawrence rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Okay, so now I know Khoury is an author I will regularly be frustrated with. Premises that pique my interest, uneven execution of the story. The Sign started very slowly. By the time he'd established his characters and direction, I saw where the story was heading. I know there was a study published very recently that indicated a spoiler of the ending did not ruin the story for most people, but by around halfway through The Sign, I had a very good idea how it would end. While it wasn't the worst ...more
Rachel
Jun 20, 2009 Rachel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Having enjoyed "The Last Templar" and "The Sanctuary" I had high expectations for "The Sign." Unfortunately The Sign didn't live up to those expectations. The text was written in a similar style and voice as the previous books, making it an easy and quick read. However, this book featured too many characters, following too many story lines to truly keep up with the actual plot. I kept waiting to get past the set-up to the actual story. When the book actually did get to the story, all was reveale ...more
Ian
Sheesh. This book exemplifies why I despise reading "The latest heart-stopping thriller from the best-selling author of [fill-in-the-blank:]!!!" types of books.

I imagine somewhere next to or under Mr. Khoury's writing desk sits a cardboard box full of cardboard people. There's the cardboard hot chick who's got some smarts to go with her other, umm, assets. There's the cardboard ex-con turned legit businessman and part-time hero who can't possibly contact the authorities since they won't believe
S.D.
Mar 26, 2011 S.D. rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-thriller
Gracie Logan is a reporter in Antarctica following a story on glacial melts when a strange glowing sphere appears. Is this an anomaly? An aurora borealis of sorts? Or a sign? Soon after another sphere appears over the Arctic. Gracie learns of a monk in Egypt who had drawn the identical symbol on a cave months ago. She and her crew take off for Egypt to try to interview Father Jerome. Matt Sherwood is an ex-con who receives a frantic message from his deceased brother’s friend who wonders if Danny ...more
Wendy
Sep 20, 2009 Wendy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2009
Not a whole lot to redeem this one. I was hoping this would be more in the vein of Khoury's other book The Last Templar, something quick and easy to read with an interesting premise involving religion. It turned out to be a heavy handed and boring way for Khoury to express his ideas about religion and global warming and how stupid, fat and gullible Americans are.
Characters were strictly cardboard, plot was ridiculous, time was wasted.
Roger
Dec 30, 2009 Roger rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I liked The Last Templar so I had high hopes for this book. But a confusing plot degenerated into left wing propaganda quickly. The screed that the "villian" spews was just too much. And the anti-Bush diatribe was unbecoming a novelist. Do yourself a favor and don't even start this one.
Greg Dill
Sep 19, 2015 Greg Dill rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The premise of this novel intrigued me so I bought the book with the understanding it was going to be a great adventure and a scientific thriller complete with intrigue and plenty of twists and turns. As I began to read the book I noticed a distinct negative bias towards religious faith, namely that of Christianity. As a Christian, I am deeply aware of the many misgivings people have towards Christians and the Christian faith particularly in America. Understandably so. However, were not perfect ...more
Joachim
Apr 30, 2012 Joachim rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What starts out as an exciting techno-thriller tinged with conspiracy turns out to be a disappointing personal allegory and crusade against religion and spirituality - in favour of barely camouflaged humanistic principles evidently stemming from the Judeo-Christian tradition, no less.

While the action is good and the book is hard to put down - I'll give him that - the author seems to be obsessed with a very naive, black-and-white dichotomy between religion and science, predictably turning any spi
Wayne Wilson
Jun 05, 2009 Wayne Wilson rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I almost stopped listening to this book it was so bad. Unfortunately I did not put it down. This book is the classic left wing propaganda tripe that turns my stomach. Long diatribes against fill the book as every character in it condemns religion and anyone who associates with a Church or believes in God. The stereotyping is without thought. The bad guys are conservative Christians and the good guys are liberal atheists. The really bad guys are atheists and throughout the book their speeches and ...more
Angie Rhodes
Sep 23, 2014 Angie Rhodes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Gracie Logan, a TV.News Reporter, chases a big story, from The South Pole to the Egyptian Dessert. Why? because of a shimmering ball of light, that shape shifts into a mysterious symbol. then just vanishes.
Is this a prophecy or as Matt Sherwood, reformed car thief, thinks, not all that it seems. The symbol, begins to show up, in other places, should we believe, it's a sign God? or is it something else?
Once again, Raymond Khoury, like his international best seller The Last Templar, has left me,
Jeff
Apr 24, 2013 Jeff rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am sad to give this book three stars. As far as the story and the writing goes I would give it four. I was really hoping for a solid four this time around. The reason this book dropped to three stars for me was because of the author's insistence on pushing his views of environmentalism and god. I understand that some of this was necessary for the progression of the plot but I feel he went way over the top. If you want to expound on your thoughts of religion and Mother Gaia write some non ficti ...more
Sara
May 19, 2009 Sara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was torn between whether to make this a three or four star. I chose four stars because the last 1/3 of the book was really good. The first 2/3 were ok and interesting but something kept me from being 100% into it. It wasn't until near the end that I really started to push myself to read. Bottom line is that I agree with Khoury's message. What he writes at the end is the epitome of everything I believe about religion and science. It was a well thought out book and includes several interesting i ...more
Antonia
Dec 05, 2012 Antonia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
very nearly put it aside during reading. goes from one cliché to the next, one predictable move to the next, one cardboard character with implausible actions to the next. bleh.
i picked it up because i remembered liking another one of his i read. either i was temporarily deranged or the author got worse. mh. not sure which really. overall my impression is that mr khoury wanted far too much with this. always bad with an adventure novel.
what a waste...
Beth
Oct 27, 2013 Beth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yet another book that I have read previously - it was an engaging read the second time around also.

A sign is seen in the sky, a reclusive priest is found to be connected. A new religious attitude is being formed and then we find that it is an international conspiracy to promote the USA.

The story is about how a bunch of unrelated people figure out and stop the conspiracy. A large bit not real but good story anyway.
Biserka
Mar 21, 2015 Biserka rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology, mistery
I rarely read a book that I would just be so frustrated with as I was with this one. It started out ok, but then more end more the plot progresses, worse explanations we get for what happens. The more I was nearing the end, the more I got frustrated. I really thought this book had a lot of potential at the begining, but in the end I was just angry. Angry for buying this book and angry for reading it through. I'll give it 2 stars because I really wish it could be worth 2 stars...
Greer Andjanetta
The 3rd of Raymond Khoury's books I have read - after the 1st one, I made a point to find the others. My ideal rating for this was 4.5 but since only 4 or 5 were available, I decided to boost the rating as this was an exceptionally enjoyable book. Khoury's stories are all imaginative, well written and have different themes than the usual run-of-the-mill mysteries. An interesting mix of fantasy/religion, fanatics and heroes in this one. I look forward to his next book.
Jools
Apr 18, 2012 Jools rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another talking book "read" for me - excellent book, fast paced and well written, I stayed up way beyond my usual "flop time" because I just didn't want to stop the story. Thought provoking in the way it dealt with the extremism, the treatment of ex-military, religious fervour etc. The plot drags you in and doesn't let you surface til the last words of the book.....!
Qiana
Oct 16, 2009 Qiana rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Even if you agree with the politics in the book, the author is very heavy handed with them. After a while, I was shouting "Yes, I know! Right wing politics will kill us all, could we get back to the plot!" The character description was better in this book than The Last Templar, but don't expect great literature here. Good for a mindless read.
Matthew Brown
May 26, 2011 Matthew Brown rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When the CNN crew stationed in Antartica was reporting about the ice shelf breaking up. The crew looked up with the camaras to see a shimmering disk hovering in the sky. When the whole world saw what they saw noone knew what to think but to stare in awe. Religion, mystery, and action drive this book on to the very end....
Janelle
Feb 02, 2013 Janelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I got this book at a used book exchange at work and really wasn't expecting much. However, after the first couple of pages I was hooked. This book has twists and turns and it is one of those books that makes you think "what if this could actually happen?" I highly recommend it!!!
Robin Lynskey
Dec 30, 2014 Robin Lynskey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the first book I read from him and I am definitely hooked. The ending is definitely not what you expect!! I have read this more than once even though I know how it ends. Really well written and keeps you guessing the entire time.
HG
Jun 16, 2010 HG rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well said. Perhaps a bit painful for many with strong religious views - but totally "on the mark" regarding parts of the Christian Evangelical movement. Especially grateful for the opinion offered by the author on the Religious Right Political Propaganda.
Judy
Oct 07, 2009 Judy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow!! What a good book! Couldn't put it down. Exciting, thought-provoking and a really enjoyable read. A mix of possible present day, religious history and science fiction (maybe?).
Would recommend it to anyone who enjoys thrillers of any type.
Something completely different!
P J
Aug 02, 2010 P J rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Has an incredible understanding of today's society. This is one of those book that is totally believeable; I could see it happening just as he's written it, although I don't think the ending would be quite as nice.

A WOW read.
Johanna Mc
Feb 23, 2012 Johanna Mc rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very thought provoking story about how religion is about power, control and manipulation. Enjoyed it very much.
Judy Benvin
Jul 28, 2011 Judy Benvin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story! Like being on an action packed roller coaster ride.
Wish I could have been able to read faster. : )
  • The Templar's Code (Caedmon Aisquith, #2)
  • The Sacred Blood
  • The Lost Tomb (Jack Howard, #3)
  • The Templar Conspiracy (Templar, #4)
  • The Hidden Oasis
  • The Exodus Quest (Daniel Knox, #2)
  • A Knife Edge (Vin Cooper, #2)
  • The Prophecy (Payne & Jones, #5)
  • The Moses Stone (Chris Bronson, #2)
  • The Mosaic of Shadows (Demetrios Askiates, #1)
  • The Berlin Conspiracy (Jack Teller, #1)
  • The Balkan Escape (Cotton Malone, #5.5)
  • Internecine
Raymond Khoury is the author of five consecutive New York Times and #1 international bestsellers, starting with his debut novel, THE LAST TEMPLAR. His books have been translated into 38 languages, with over 10 million copies in print.

Raymond came to writing thrillers from a career in screenwriting, which including the BAFTA award winning BBC series SPOOKS (aka MI:5 in the US) and Waking The Dead.
More about Raymond Khoury...

“They don’t understand that religion and science are there to serve different purposes. We need science to understand how everything on this planet and beyond works – us, nature, everything we see around us. That’s fact – no one with a working brain can question that. But we also need religion. Not for ridiculous counter-theories about things that science can prove. We need it for something else, to fill a different kind of need. The need for meaning. It’s a basic need we have, as humans. And it’s a need that’s beyond the realm of science. Your scientists don’t understand that it’s a need they can’t fulfill no matter how many Hadron colliders and Hubble telescopes they build- and your preachers don’[t understand that their job is to help you discover a personal, inner sense of meaning and not behave like a bunch of zealots intent on converting the rest of the planet to their rigid, literalist view of how everyone should live their lives.” 2 likes
“The Bible tells us the messiah will only return AFTER we've had the final battle between God's children and the army of the antichrist out there in Israel. It's only after that happens that we can be saved by the Rapture . . . we're still waiting for the Israelis to bomb the crap out of Iran and kick-start the whole thing.” 1 likes