Start by marking “Every Woman's Guide to Foot Pain Relief: The New Science of Healthy Feet” as Want to Read:
Every Woman's Guide to Foot Pain Relief: The New Science of Healthy Feet

Every Woman's Guide to Foot Pain Relief: The New Science of Healthy Feet

Foot pain isn’t just pain—it’s a symptom of serious problems that will only get worse if you ignore it. One in four women in the United States is suffering from debilitating foot pain, which can affect the function of other body parts, from knees and hips to the pelvis and spine. But foot pain - and the underlying problems it reveals - can be eliminated.

Every Woman's Guide
Published December 20th 2011 by BenBella Books (first published December 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Every Woman's Guide to Foot Pain Relief, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Every Woman's Guide to Foot Pain Relief

Lauren
Aug 28, 2016 Lauren rated it really liked it
A good place to start on basic foot health, strengthening, and joint mobility. The recommended exercises and the self-assessments are good and useful to someone just starting out. I would have liked a bit more about the arch and the heel of the foot, but Bowman may cover more in her other books, which I plan to get soon - especially her new Foot Care book coming out in September 2016.
Helen
Mar 29, 2016 Helen rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Adults.
Recommended to Helen by: No-one.
An easy to read book about the relationship between foot health and health in general. The book starts with a very informative section on foot anatomy and mechanics, and discusses the causes for common foot problems - most of which are traceable to the practice of wearing stiff, confining shoes. Although shoes are a necessity given that man is no longer living in a pristine natural environment, and mankind does wish to avoid puncture wounds from inadvertently stepping on debris, footwear should ...more
Amanda
Apr 23, 2013 Amanda rated it really liked it
Let me start by saying I *heart* Katy. I love her blog posts, follow her on Facebook, and think she's wicked smart. If I had read this book *before* finding her blog, I might have been more blown away by the information found within... as it is, it was more of a recap of a collection of the information I've read previously on her blog.

I do think the book is incredibly informative, and it's written in layman's terms with Katy's usual style, which includes a healthy dose of humor along with the co
Lynda
Apr 17, 2015 Lynda rated it it was amazing
It would appear to be so obvious that women's shoes have caused a ton of issues for women's feet yet someone in the biomechanic field (an emerging area that will only gain in importance) has had to write an entire book on it, sounding the alarm and waking us (myself included) all up from our senselessness and insanity. Katy has equated the harmful health effects of wearing high heels to the cigarettes of the 60's/70's. Women everywhere have been conditioned to think that wearing high heels is ...more
Chelsea Nash
Jul 07, 2012 Chelsea Nash rated it really liked it
Although in places this book felt like an advertisement for "Earth Negative Heel Shoes", overall I thought the case against most footwear was well-constructed. I appreciated that a few tips on foot and body alignment (don't turn out, and put your weight over your heels where it belongs*) were easy to take away. I also look forward to trying the exercises in this book.

The author doesn't just criticize high heeled shoes, but also many other kinds of footwear including flip flops and clogs, shoes t
Annie
Aug 18, 2012 Annie rated it really liked it
Shelves: health-wellness
So far I'm loving this. This book is easy to access and gives a lot of great information about biomechanics and how to improve your feet, gait, and posture. If you're someone suffering from foot pain (like me), this book will give you reason to feel positive about the future of your feet!

Since I've finished the book, I've been doing the foot exercizes regularly and am feeling pretty positive that things are getting better and will continue to get better. Now I have to tackle the difficult task o
Lauren
Jun 18, 2014 Lauren rated it liked it
I can't really say I learned a whole lot from this book but what it did do is confirm some of my suspicions. I have been teaching yoga for about a year and have developed a firm belief that our feet are very important. I have noticed that most of the poses we do either strengthen or stretch the feet. Through yoga I have recovered from plantar fascia, shin splints, knee pain, back pain, etc. But I've been suspecting that a lot of this is coming from stronger more flexible, therefore more stable ...more
Robyn
Jan 15, 2015 Robyn rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
This book, in true Katy Bowman style, delivers the message of how to understand one's health and the choices one makes - while encouraging and generating smiles. I improved my health by acting upon what I learned in this book.
Sian
Jul 11, 2015 Sian rated it it was amazing
I really like Katy Bowman, shes definitely a body mechanics geek, very simple book, get out of heels, move more and do the stretches in the book for reduced back, hip and foot pain. Great starter book to introduce you to the world of barefoot. She has great videos on youtube as well.
George Karaminas
Oct 22, 2016 George Karaminas rated it it was amazing
Excellent primer on foot health and maintenance, giving all people (not just women) an understanding of what we do wrong and how to correct it.

Even though the content mostly applied to men as well, a revised and updated edition of this book was published in 2016 under the title "Simple Steps to Foot Pain Relief", so it makes more sense to read the new version.
Linda G
Oct 30, 2016 Linda G rated it really liked it
I actually liked this book. I think I'll do the foot exercises!
Kate
Apr 23, 2016 Kate rated it really liked it
This book was recommended to me by my cousin-in-law after a particularly whining FaceBook post about how my feet hurt in spite of my outrageously expensive shoes and arch supports. Being desperate, I downloaded the eBook immediately and read the book through staying up later than I should have to finish it. Given the amount of time that has passed between reading this book and now, I cannot speak for the effectiveness of the method. I will be doing the exercises recommended as much as possible i ...more
May 13, 2015 Jennifer rated it really liked it
I've been intrigued with Katy Bowman ever since I read a couple of blurbs by her in a recent issue of Outside magazine. I'm interested in learning more about her theory of how alignment can affect health profoundly. So, I've been dipping into her blog on and off and I checked this book out from the library (it is the only Bowman title my library owns). I think there is a lot of good advice and easy exercises included that could benefit everyone (I never really considered all the muscles in the ...more
Krista
Oct 05, 2012 Krista rated it it was amazing
Awesome resource! Katie Bowman covers biomechanics and why heels are THE DEVIL. Just kidding. Kinda. And I really do like them, feminist streak notwithstanding. But like other things that are harmful to me, I should eliminate (or at least limit) my heel "consumption".

Really, though, this book is about so much more than just high heels... it's chock-full of great info on how our bodies are mechanically designed to work, and how best to facilitate that working so we don't cause more health proble
Amy
Apr 25, 2012 Amy rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction, health
I was most disappointed with this thin book!

I broke my foot in December, so was hoping that this might provide some insight into broken bones, etc. The only "reference" to bones was in the picture titled "Anatomy of the Foot" at the beginning of the book. The rest of the book was dedicated to discussing muscles, nerves and exercises that you should do on your foot.

There is also information on shoes that you should wear, shouldn't wear, etc.

Probably the most interesting things that I took away fr
Rachel B
This was absolutely great! It was a very quick, easy read (though it took me a while to get through because I was sick). The information was incredibly helpful, and I had lots of "aha!" moments.

One of my complaints would be the title (I wish it wasn't directed toward women, because the actual book really isn't). The other is that I wish it had shown pictures of some of the various "disorders" (such as a bunion), as I'm very visual. She described them, but a picture is worth a thousand words and
Amy
Jul 01, 2014 Amy rated it liked it
Although I don't have foot pain, I read this book because I cannot get enough of Katy Bowman's blog. After spending hours and hours loving her website, I figured I owed it to her to buy her book.

Bowman's biomechanical approach to how our bodies can and should work is simultaneously life-changing and simple. I've read other books about this topic, but her focus on the physics of movement is outstanding.

The book is an excellent primer for her basic approach to body alignment, but it lacks the cha
K.b.
Oct 01, 2012 K.b. rated it really liked it
Good exercises in this book! I rented it from the library so I wish I could keep a copy at home to do regularly. It's a fast read as well. Did you know that you can use your toes like you use your fingers? It just takes training that they show you in this book. This book is a real wake up call to ladies who have worn heels their whole life. The author compares wearing heels to smoking cigarettes. Do you think it will ever be that bad? I'm not sure if I believe that, but I'm starting to!
Karoline
Apr 15, 2015 Karoline rated it really liked it
Very useful. I spent an hour earlier learning her exercises and my feet and legs were way happier afterwards. (I have plantar fasciitis, bunions, and have been spending a lot of time on my feet recently, so I've been feeling a lot of pain.) I look forward to seeing what these can do if integrated into my routine on a regular basis. I'm also seriously considering buying a paper copy for my office waiting room.
Joanne
Nov 24, 2013 Joanne rated it it was amazing
Not only is Katy Bowman funny and relatable, the book is really informative and includes instructions and pictures of stretches.

I definitely recommended this book to anyone that wants to understand their body better and to prevent or eliviate chronic pain.

Read katysays.com for more information

(Note: after reading this book you will.not.be.able to stop seeing people's out-turned feet in public)
Emilydodge
Jun 09, 2013 Emilydodge rated it it was amazing
I agree with everything this author writes in this book and beyond as far as our physical body goes. I have done her exercises in this book and other classes and have felt great relief in many issues. All women should read this and do these exercises, especially if you keep the high heels! And men should do the exercises too, women are not the only ones wearing shoes with heels or with foot pain.
Emily
Jan 04, 2016 Emily rated it it was amazing
I've turned into an alignment nut after first stumbling upon Katy's blog a year or so ago. I knew some of what this book had to offer just from reading previous things Katy has written, but it's still a really great book about how much foot health affects alignment and overall health. It's also a very easy and quick read. Off to do some foot exercises!
Allison
Nov 26, 2013 Allison rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult, non-fiction
So in I've been having foot pain and was recommended this book. what the author says makes sense and I hope it works (Haven't been doing the exercises long and I'm really tired of my feet cramping). I really like the idea of using natural methods such as simply strengthening the foot to help overcome pain. It certainly helped with my wrists.
Mary
Sep 03, 2014 Mary rated it really liked it
I will preface my comments by saying I'm a huge fan of Katy Bowman and her blog. This information makes so much sense to me and I wish it had been available when I was much younger. That being said, its never too late! Must reading to help educate all women to make informed choices and help strengthen an overlooked and amazingly important part of our body.
Angela
Feb 07, 2016 Angela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best foot forward!

This book has the information required for checking your own foot alignment and posture. Katy explains why an exercise is necessary and what the benefits are. I love the exercise summary at the end so you don't have to mark all the pages you need to refer back to when performing them.

A good read for anyone suffering foot, knee, hip or back pain.
Emily
Feb 02, 2012 Emily rated it really liked it
Discusses the problems with postive-heeled shoes and presents some techniques to counter these effects.

By implementing the Rx ercises Ms. Bowman suggests I have made great progress in relieving the pain of plantar fasciitis and I believe I'm on my way to better foot & skeletal health.
Yvonne Stegall
Sep 14, 2012 Yvonne Stegall rated it really liked it
This is a great book. As someone who had to stop wearing heels due to hip issues, I found this book to be very insightful. It should be on every woman's book shelf! Thanks for the great Goodreads win! (received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads)
kimberly
Jun 26, 2016 kimberly rated it really liked it
Time will tell, but very straightforward and and simple to understand. I haven't worn heels on the regular for a very long time, but I still get a lot of foot pain, even when I wear fancy (and expensive!) supportive shoes.
Angie Libert
Mar 18, 2015 Angie Libert rated it it was ok
Shelves: nutrition-health
Move Your DNA by this author was waaay better. This book just gave a quick overview on the dangers of heeled shoes, which is good, but it is such a quick and brief read that you leave wanting more.
Jodi
Jul 22, 2014 Jodi rated it liked it
Shelves: paleo
I read this in one day. Simple to read, understand and use. I'm a yoga instructor so a lot of this I already know. Been out of positive heeled shoes for a long time now. I'd recommend this book to people just getting started in trying to relieve their foot/knee/hip and lower back issues.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Complete Low-FODMAP Diet: A Revolutionary Plan for Managing IBS and Other Digestive Disorders
  • Athletic Body in Balance
  • The 28 Days Lighter Diet: Your Monthly Plan to Lose Weight, End PMS, and Achieve Physical and Emotional Wellness
  • Lights Out: Sleep, Sugar, and Survival
  • The Cholesterol Myths: Exposing the Fallacy That Saturated Fat and Cholesterol Cause Heart Disease
  • Zapped: Why Your Cell Phone Shouldn't Be Your Alarm Clock and 1,268 Ways to Outsmart the Hazards of Electronic Pollution
  • Yogabody: Anatomy, Kinesiology, and Asana
  • Relearning to See: Improve Your Eyesight -- Naturally!
  • 8 Steps to a Pain-Free Back: Natural Posture Solutions for Pain in the Back, Neck, Shoulder, Hip, Knee, and Foot
  • Unassisted Childbirth
  • Parenting the Ephraim's Child: Characteristics, Capabilities, and Challenges of Children Who Are Intensely More
  • A Tooth from the Tiger's Mouth: How to Treat Your Injuries with Powerful Healing Secrets of the Great Chinese Warrior
  • Somatics: Reawakening The Mind's Control Of Movement, Flexibility, And Health
  • Yoga Adjustments: Philosophy, Principles, and Techniques
  • The Concise Book of Muscles
  • The Athlete's Guide to Yoga: An Integrated Approach to Strength, Flexibility, & Focus
  • The Gut Balance Revolution: Boost Your Metabolism, Restore Your Inner Ecology, and Lose the Weight for Good!
  • Motivational Interviewing in Health Care: Helping Patients Change Behavior
Katy Bowman has earned an international reputation for educating the general population on alignment and load-science, and as a result has helped thousands to reduce pain, increase bone density, improve metabolic health, and solve their pelvic floor mysteries. She is known for her radical, counter-culture health directives that happen to be based in the hard science that she has made her life’s ...more
More about Katy Bowman...

“qualities (e.g., Am I stepping on something rough or” 0 likes