Fried: Why You Burn Out and How to Revive

Fried: Why You Burn Out and How to Revive

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  98 ratings  ·  20 reviews
This Is an Invitation to Take Your Power Back!

What happened to the spark you had as a child that powered curiosity, engagement with life, and creativity? Has it burned out? Are you feeling emotionally and physically exhausted and cynical, wondering if you've got what it takes to make it in this rapidly changing world? Burnout looks a lot like depression, but it's not a bio...more
Published January 1st 2012 by Hay House (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Fried, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fried

Amy L. Campbell
Note: Free copy received via NetGalley.

I feel like not only did I have to sit through a half hour lecture by my physician about my daily habits, but when I told her I was having pain in my kidneys to "take two of these and call me in the morning." I sincerely don't feel like this book addressed the topic, and much of it was rehashing of personality types ala Myers-Briggs, there was quite a bit of psychotherapy/alternate spirituality buzzword-throwing, and far too many personal anecdotes that did...more
pri
i've read a lot of books about burn out and getting out of burn out. this is the best so far. right book, right time. right way of approach. no corporate classroom powerpoint slide feel. very honest and holistic. highly recommended if you're even considering the title. :)

quotes: "when you tell your body that you're not particularly interested in living, and you let your life force run perilously low, it's not surprising that the physical plant obliges by shutting down"

"You can study personality...more
Heidi Wiechert
Fried: Why You Burn Out and How to Revive was eye opening for me. First of all, I have heard people describing themselves as feeling "burned out" but I had no idea that this was an actual state of being that could be categorized and treated. Secondly, I have experienced this myself and, perhaps because of learned helplessness (described in detail in the book), I didn't know that this could be addressed and healed. Now, I know.

Dr. Borysenko calls this a disease of the spirit that has physical sym...more
Mary Miller
I hate writing bad reviews, honestly! However, this book needs to be better edited or an additional add to the title:" my memoirs and how I survived burn out." My concern is that this is more of a personal story of how Joan survived her burn outs, versus a true book outlining and giving tips and exercises that can help someone get out of their burn out. Why? Because one exercise written in one or two sentences as a 'way out of the hole' (one per level of hole you're in), is all she is offering h...more
Laura Peterson
I'm not sure how to review this. The distinction drawn between being stressed out versus burned out was very valuable to me. I enjoyed the book, though found myself skimming in a variety of areas. I also didn't feel connected to the "help" areas, the ways to move through burnout on to revitalization. I'm willing to admit it may have been my own lack while reading rather than a flaw with the book. I did get some valuable info out of it.
Dayglo
Be yourself. Rest when you're tired. Not exactly ground breaking advice. Also, I think she really wanted to target women but instead of just writing to women, she made these odd perfectory mentions for men. One sentence was "If it hasn't changed, you may have to visit Mama Gena's School for the Womanly Arts or whatever the masculine equivalent may be." She couldn't google something before writing such a sentence? Why invite men to the party just to dismiss them?

I appreciated her careful walking...more
Beth Levant
Exceedingly superficial. Just a bunch of personal annecdotes and some re-hash of basic psychological concepts that don't go anywhere. No useful take home information.
Charles Legg Jr.
Dr. Borysenko does an excellent job of describing what burnout is and how it effects your life and health, but falls way short, in my opinion, of offering real help in the recovery from being fried. The last few chapters of the book are little more than comments left by her Facebook friends, most containing way too much "being one with the universe" babel. I was hoping that the book, which had a good factual beginning, would have offered a more structured guidance towards recovering from burnout...more
Experience Life
You probably know the feeling: You’re tired —and not just physically. You’ve got no pep, no creativity, and little interest in the things you used to enjoy.

You’re experiencing what’s known as “burnout,” explains Joan Borysenko, PhD, in her latest book. Burnout occurs when good people give their best — then wind up with nothing left for themselves. Although the experience has several dimensions, it is primarily characterized by learned helplessness, she explains — a sense that even if you try, th...more
Barbara Wright-avlitis
This author wrote this book with the help of her Facebook friends. It's about burning out and finding your way back. It's written in a way that flows so easily with examples and stories. Today, the business world has seriously changed, demanding more and more of workers. Burnout is on the rise and it carries a strong stigma but there really isn't much relief available. This book helps to understand how people burnout and what to do to recover and prevent burnout. Great book!
Vickie
Fried is a wonderful guide to navigating the effects so commonly experienced by many Americans; Burnout. Joan Borysenko not only provides a road map to relief but also recruited the help of Facebook fans to participate by sharing their personal experiences as well. This is a great addition to your personal book shelf or a great gift to someone you care about that is at the end of their rope.
Sabkymom
A very fast read that covers the 12 stages of burnout and then, how to recover utilizing Dante's inferno and Divine Comedy as literary metaphor. Particularly relevant given the ever-increasing stress of American life and work. A worthwhile read.
Laquetta
when you over cooked your brain boils at first and then over heats. which in turn describes fried. Now time to learn how to undo this mess.
Melanie
Quick read about what burnout and depression feel and look like. Contains suggestions about how to avoid burnout in the future.
Kathy
Another good one by Joan Borysenko. Her insights on the subject and what to do about it are useful and practical.
Ron Roy
Great "how-to" book on working through Burn Out. Very clear on the differences of depression and burn-out. Easy read!
Ms. M
"Heaven is not a destination, but a state of mind."
Erin
One of the best books I have read this year...
Sd
Turns out we aren't machines.
Andrea
Jan 13, 2011 Andrea marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
rec by Katie
Pennylope
Pennylope marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Katie Lage
Katie Lage marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Lexy
Lexy added it
Aug 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
This distinguished pioneer in integrative medicine is a world-renowned expert in the mind/body connection.
More about Joan Borysenko...
Minding the Body, Mending the Mind A Woman's Book of Life A Woman's Journey to God Fire in the Soul: A New Psychology of Spiritual optimism Guilt is the Teacher, Love is the Lesson