Start by marking “When I Woke Up I Knew I was Dead: A Short Story” as Want to Read:
When I Woke Up I Knew I was Dead: A Short Story

When I Woke Up I Knew I was Dead: A Short Story

Sean was living a normal life until one day he wakes up with a sudden realization: he is dead. Every part of him is acutely aware of his dead state, but in a society where death has been 'cured', he cannot so easily advertise his feelings. Will Sean ever be able to convince the world of his deadness, or will he forever remain the lone voice in a sea of ignorance?
Published July 18th 2011 by Smashwords

To ask other readers questions about When I Woke Up I Knew I was Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When I Woke Up I Knew I was Dead

L.J. Baker
Mar 02, 2014 L.J. Baker rated it liked it
I got this as a free download so I didn't have anything to lose by reading it. I kept finding myself wanting to like it more than I did. Honestly I think the story could have been really good as something longer but what was left just seemed to be missing something like the other work I've read from this author. Something makes me want to like it, but then it just seems to be missing something for me.
Sam
Jul 21, 2011 Sam rated it liked it
Shelves: humour, shorts
Set in a time when Death no longer stalks the Earth we follow Sean as he wakes up one day to find himself deceased. As he tries to go about his normal routine, he finds that he is not alone in his predicament and seeks the help of a classmate in an effort to convince others that he is in fact dead, with somewhat disastrous results. A rather tongue in cheek look at life and death and the power of society in changing the way people think, act and feel.
Sriram Srinivasan
Jan 15, 2012 Sriram Srinivasan rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
A short story on a young boy's problem in proving what he was saying is right. When he tell's that he is dead, his parents go crazy and his girl friend becomes upset. But finally he proves that he is really dead by committing suicide.
Tuesday
Apr 20, 2012 Tuesday rated it really liked it

While reading through a pile of short stories for this week’s Reader Radar, I came across some crazy things - aliens, pissed off gnomes (more on this later), secret fairytale lands, and then this one. I actually kind of kept moving on after reading it, still searching for just the right story to feature, and while I was eating dinner, I couldn’t help but continue to think about it. It was nagging at the corners of my brain, creeping back in, refusing to go the way of the aliens.

Isn’t that what s
Sarah Crawford
Jan 15, 2016 Sarah Crawford rated it did not like it
This is not a book or even a short story, basically. It's like an outline of a possible story but that's it. A guy wakes up, claims he is dead, his parents think he's nuts, he finds a girl who claims she's dead and he kills himself and wakes up.

All the makings for a possible very good book but, in this form, it's an outline and nothing more. Nothing makes sense, nothing is given a frame of reference, no back story, nothing.
Max
Jul 08, 2014 Max rated it it was amazing
Amazing book make more please
Divine, fantastic, and etc
Jonathan Cadotte
Jan 26, 2012 Jonathan Cadotte rated it it was ok
Ultimately this was an interesting idea that didn't go anywhere. The social commentary was thinly veiled, elements were introduced but then forgotten and the ending felt like a poor attempt to make the reader ponder a story that had very little depth. The writing itself was okay, although at times it felt like the author was too in love with her own strange metaphors.
Natasja
Sep 04, 2011 Natasja rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011, e-book
Maar een paar pagina's lang, maar geeft een goeie weergave van de dood als 'state of mind'. En de onmacht van mensen er mee om te gaan, ook in een hypothetische setting waar de dood genezen is.
Ralph
Jan 10, 2012 Ralph rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-a-to-z
A waste of time to read. The story had no plot that made sense, didn't go anywhere, and left you going WTF? Not to mention the mistakes an editor would've picked up and fixed and the horrid formatting.
Lucy Furr
The idea for this story really had potential, but as much as I hoped this little 16 page short would be awesome, it totally falls flat and really goes nowhere. Such a great title, though.
Dimitra
Sep 19, 2011 Dimitra rated it it was amazing
Very surreal with a sense of urgency that keeps the reader guessing for more. Reminds me of Kafka.
Natalie
Apr 05, 2012 Natalie rated it it was ok
This book was poorly edited, poorly written, and the plot was left somewhere else.
Marie Lynn
Dec 10, 2011 Marie Lynn rated it did not like it
The story was rather too short that what I thought was interesting was boring.
Issa
Nov 11, 2011 Issa rated it liked it
Shelves: other-fiction
Engaging story...I only wish there was more of it.
Catherine Gordon
Sep 25, 2011 Catherine Gordon rated it did not like it
Interesting idea but didn't really go anywhere.
Adelle
Free kindle book
Cindy Blue
Unusal.
Dee Gray
Dee Gray marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
Shelby
Shelby rated it really liked it
May 22, 2016
Humadh Ahmed
Humadh Ahmed rated it did not like it
Apr 24, 2016
Zee
Zee marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2016
Lisa Gomez
Lisa Gomez marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2016
Theodore
Theodore rated it did not like it
Jan 29, 2016
Hoss
Hoss marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Lynne
Lynne added it
Jan 17, 2016
Nadjah
Nadjah marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2016
Donna Love
Donna Love marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2016