McDuff Saves the Day

McDuff Saves the Day (McDuff)

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  105 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Fourth of July fun! When hungry ants eat up his family's Fourth of July picnic, McDuff puts his nose to the ground and uncovers a reward even better than meatballs!
Published May 31st 2005 by Disney-Hyperion (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about McDuff Saves the Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about McDuff Saves the Day

Dart and the Squirrels by Nicole IzmaylovClifford the Big Red Dog by Norman BridwellMay the Best Dog Win by Kelly HashwayFetch by Adam Glendon SidwellGood Dog, Carl by Alexandra Day
Best Picture Books About Dogs
28th out of 66 books — 94 voters
Go, Dog. Go! by P.D. EastmanClifford the Big Red Dog by Norman BridwellHarry the Dirty Dog by Gene ZionGood Dog, Carl by Alexandra DayFetch by Adam Glendon Sidwell
Picture Books About Dogs
148th out of 205 books — 80 voters

More lists with this book...

Erin
McDuff the dog is going on a picnic with his family. Half of the book is spent in the car where McDuff cannot sit still and ends up getting the front seat. The other half of the book is at the picnic location. (A park? A lake? It's never really specified.) Their picnic gets stolen by a bunch of ants. Then somehow, McDuff "saves the day" by stealing someone else's meatballs. The owner of the meatballs meets McDuff's family and ends up sharing his meal.

This book isn't one I connect with at all, s...more
Eva Leger
I was unaware when we found this at the library that there are other McDuff books. I did recognize the authors name, only because of good old Ruby & Max, but that's it.
There really isn't much for me to say about the story. I like how Mr. DiMaggio and McDuff's family came together so easily and had an enjoyable time. I think it's good for kids to see and hear that. No differences brought up, no politics, nothing but enjoyment of an evening shared with new friends.
The illustrations are so-so,...more
dee
Aug 23, 2011 dee rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Lillie, Rosemary and The Jack of Hearts
Well he's not my favorite Westhighland White Terrier but he's close. My favorite picture is when they are all watching the sunset and McDuff has his own little producer's chair. His little pointed tail hanging out and hit little pointed ear standing up; and of course he's being petted and loved on. He saved the day afterall. I also love the picture when he gets the front seat and he "fell into a sausage-squirrel dream." I know that pose well. Westies are the best and McDuff captures their spirit...more
Pam
McDuff manages to turn trouble into saving the day!One of my all-time favorite children's book series. Susan Jeffers' artwork is fantastic and truly captures the expressions of small terriers perfectly. Rosemary Wells writes wonderful, expressive, true-to-life stories.
Amanda
Pretty fun story about a family on a picnic. The illustrations are very nice and it's funny how the dog is almost like another person in the story (just like dogs seem to be in their families).
Logan
somehow the illustrations seem less detailed and charming than the earlier books, but there is still the same wry humor. Logan enjoyed the ants taking away all the picnic food.
Marie
I have a westie, so I have always loved seeing the McDuff covers. He is similar to my westie in that he had to get his way and sit in the front seat!
Kari
We are fans of all things McDuff, Wells, and Jeffers. The trifecta! Actually McDuff might end being the reason we get a Westie.
Stephanie
this is the second book we have read about McDuff the West Highland terrier. They are pretty good.
Molly
Read this one for storytime. I thought it moved pretty slowly, but it was the kid's favorite.
Natali.D (BookCupid)
It was funny to see how uncomfortable a dog really is while riding in a car.
Tracy
Good fourth of July picnic book.
Cana
Mommy says: We like McDuff books.
Lily Lamotte
Lily Lamotte marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
Maia
Maia marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2013
MaryJo
MaryJo marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

Rosemary Wells is the author of a number of popular children's books, most notably the Max and Ruby series which follows the everyday adventures of sibling bunnies - curious three year old Max and bossy seven year old Ruby. She gets the inspiration for Max and Ruby from her two daughters and the experiences they...more
More about Rosemary Wells...
Bunny Cakes Noisy Nora Yoko On the Blue Comet Red Moon at Sharpsburg