Start by marking “McDuff Saves the Day” as Want to Read:
McDuff Saves the Day

McDuff Saves the Day (McDuff)

When an army of insects destroys Fred and Lucy's hopes for a lovely lunch, McDuff heads out to find a good replacement lunch for his family and soon comes upon Mr. DiMaggio, a kind man who is only too happy to share his picnic lunch with his new friends.
Published May 31st 2005 by Disney-Hyperion (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about McDuff Saves the Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about McDuff Saves the Day

May the Best Dog Win by Kelly HashwayDoc Tails by Othen Donald Dale CummingsClifford the Big Red Dog by Norman BridwellFetch by Adam Glendon SidwellHarry the Dirty Dog by Gene Zion
Best Picture Books About Dogs
31st out of 125 books — 98 voters
Go, Dog. Go! by P.D. EastmanDoc Tails by Othen Donald Dale CummingsThe Poky Little Puppy by Janette Sebring LowreyHarry the Dirty Dog by Gene ZionClifford the Big Red Dog by Norman Bridwell
Picture Books About Dogs
78th out of 248 books — 114 voters

More lists with this book...

Jun 21, 2015 Karen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I want to like McDuff books because he is so doggone adorable, but the stories just turn out to be too strange for me or my son to connect with.

First of all, McDuff the dog has a name; the baby does not. Half of the story is made up of the mother and father switching car seats like a mobile game of musical chairs. McDuff is awarded and praised for stealing someone else's picnic -- (and, seriously, that guy brought a lot of food for one person). And I get that this story takes place in another e
Jul 02, 2014 Erin rated it it was ok
McDuff the dog is going on a picnic with his family. Half of the book is spent in the car where McDuff cannot sit still and ends up getting the front seat. The other half of the book is at the picnic location. (A park? A lake? It's never really specified.) Their picnic gets stolen by a bunch of ants. Then somehow, McDuff "saves the day" by stealing someone else's meatballs. The owner of the meatballs meets McDuff's family and ends up sharing his meal.

This book isn't one I connect with at all, s
The Brothers
McDuff and family go on a picnic on the fourth of July. During the car trip McDuff always manages to wrangle himself the front seat, much to Fred's dismay. Once they arrive at the picnic site, Lucy and Fred are so occupied with the baby and associated gear, that the put McDuff in charge of guarding the picnic basket. Ants end up taking all the food, so McDuff sets off to find food elsewhere and ends up making the family a new friend.

Cute illustrations.
Jun 05, 2016 kristina rated it it was amazing
Dogs, Fourth of July, Picnics, Storytime

Fred, Lucy, the baby, and McDuff go to the lake for a Fourth of July picnic, but when ants consume all of their food it's up to McDuff to find something for them to eat.
Rosa Cline
Oct 19, 2015 Rosa Cline rated it liked it
Shelves: kids, 4th-of-july
McDuff is going on a car trip-picnic with his parents and new baby. He is unsure about the trip and the picnic itself. He's bored and then gets into trouble but in the end he helps the family to gain a new friend.
Eva Leger
Mar 09, 2011 Eva Leger rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: julias-books
I was unaware when we found this at the library that there are other McDuff books. I did recognize the authors name, only because of good old Ruby & Max, but that's it.
There really isn't much for me to say about the story. I like how Mr. DiMaggio and McDuff's family came together so easily and had an enjoyable time. I think it's good for kids to see and hear that. No differences brought up, no politics, nothing but enjoyment of an evening shared with new friends.
The illustrations are so-so,
Aug 23, 2011 Dee rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Lillie, Rosemary and The Jack of Hearts
Well he's not my favorite Westhighland White Terrier but he's close. My favorite picture is when they are all watching the sunset and McDuff has his own little producer's chair. His little pointed tail hanging out and hit little pointed ear standing up; and of course he's being petted and loved on. He saved the day afterall. I also love the picture when he gets the front seat and he "fell into a sausage-squirrel dream." I know that pose well. Westies are the best and McDuff captures their spirit ...more
Shannon Pauley
Jun 30, 2015 Shannon Pauley rated it really liked it
Perfect 4th of July read
Mar 27, 2016 Pam rated it it was amazing
McDuff manages to turn trouble into saving the day!One of my all-time favorite children's book series. Susan Jeffers' artwork is fantastic and truly captures the expressions of small terriers perfectly. Rosemary Wells writes wonderful, expressive, true-to-life stories.
Aug 04, 2009 Amanda rated it liked it
Shelves: kid-s-books
Pretty fun story about a family on a picnic. The illustrations are very nice and it's funny how the dog is almost like another person in the story (just like dogs seem to be in their families).
May 29, 2010 Logan rated it really liked it
somehow the illustrations seem less detailed and charming than the earlier books, but there is still the same wry humor. Logan enjoyed the ants taking away all the picnic food.
Jun 20, 2012 Marie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have a westie, so I have always loved seeing the McDuff covers. He is similar to my westie in that he had to get his way and sit in the front seat!
Mar 21, 2010 Kari rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
We are fans of all things McDuff, Wells, and Jeffers. The trifecta! Actually McDuff might end being the reason we get a Westie.
May 21, 2009 Stephanie rated it liked it
Shelves: ella
this is the second book we have read about McDuff the West Highland terrier. They are pretty good.
Jun 25, 2009 Molly rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Read this one for storytime. I thought it moved pretty slowly, but it was the kid's favorite.
It was funny to see how uncomfortable a dog really is while riding in a car.
Jul 15, 2013 Tracy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good fourth of July picnic book.
Jan 12, 2009 Cana rated it really liked it
Mommy says: We like McDuff books.
Mari added it
Oct 12, 2016
Amanda B
Amanda B marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2016
Nancy roser
Nancy roser marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2016
Chase marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
Brigid marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2016
Meredith marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2016
Janine Champlin
Janine Champlin rated it it was amazing
Jul 17, 2016
Jael rated it it was ok
Jul 07, 2016
Annastacia Maureen Hebert
Annastacia Maureen Hebert rated it really liked it
Jul 04, 2016
Andréa rated it it was ok
Aug 27, 2016
  • Chicken Soup
  • A Particular Cow
  • Edwina the Emu
  • The Gunniwolf
  • Don't Forget the Bacon!
  • Whopper Cake
  • What Do You Do When Something Wants To Eat You?
  • Tico and the Golden Wings
  • Red-eyed Tree Frog
  • Nadia's Hands
  • Welcome to the Bed and Biscuit
  • Wolf!
  • New Testament Stories
  • Bag in the Wind

Rosemary Wells is the author of a number of popular children's books, most notably the Max and Ruby series which follows the everyday adventures of sibling bunnies - curious three year old Max and bossy seven year old Ruby. She gets the inspiration for Max and Ruby from her two daughters and the experiences they
More about Rosemary Wells...

McDuff (8 books)