Start by marking “Harvest Poems: 1910-1960” as Want to Read:
Harvest Poems: 1910-1960

Harvest Poems: 1910-1960

4.06  ·  Rating Details  ·  221 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
A representative selection of poems, culled from the Pulitzer Prize-winning poet’s published verse, plus thirteen poems appearing in book form for the first time. “[Sandburg’s poetry] is independent, honest, direct, lyric, and it endures, clamorous and muted, magical as life itself” (New York Times). Introduction by Mark Van Doren.
Published April 11th 1960 by Mariner Books (first published January 1st 1960)

To ask other readers questions about Harvest Poems, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Harvest Poems

Gina
Jan 26, 2015 Gina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, 2014, books-i-own
I picked this small collection of Sandburg’s poetry up at one of my favorite thrift shops this fall. Spanning 40 years, Harvest Poems offers a great introduction to his prolific career. I related to many of the poems solely because of the wonderful depictions of the place I call home - the midwest. Sandburg describes so much movement, his words are like the wind…. constantly changing direction yet on a steady path. From man’s creation of skyscrapers being built up, and torn down, to the thinnest ...more
G.D. Master
May 27, 2015 G.D. Master rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Academics, poets, and professional writers
With three Pulitzer prizes, two for poetry and one for a biography of Abraham Lincoln, Carl Sandburg is a pillar of American ingenuity. With this novella, or collection of some of his most popular poems, readers get a manageable helping of an intellectual powerhouse. Poems written with attention to structure pounded into twenty-first century college students pour from these pages like life lived to its complete and fullest degree. Sandburg’s poems describe places and people with sharp and discer ...more
Betsy
Jan 24, 2016 Betsy rated it it was amazing
A gift from a loved one for my October birthday, I immediately flipped to my long-time favorite, "Theme in yellow." Then I read it through from beginning to end, rediscovering old treasures and finding new favorites, especially "improved farm land," "nine tentative (first model) definitions of poetry," "phizzog," and "number man." Sandburg marvels at the endurance and ingenuity of Man, ponders poetry, glories in nature, glorifies God, weeps over war, and carries everything along in the musical, ...more
Punk
Jul 10, 2012 Punk rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
Poetry. A selection of Carl Sandburg's work taken from eight volumes, along with thirteen poems new to this collection, an introduction by Mark Van Doren, and a preface from Sandburg himself.

About ten years ago, I got about thirty pages into this and couldn't get any further. It's just not my kind of poetry. It's basically a WPA mural. Like carrying an enormous hammer through a field of wheat while listening to jazz and working in factory. You can practically taste the locomotives. And the overa
Jake Cooper
Jun 22, 2014 Jake Cooper rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
Sandburg's romantic grit is unmistakeable -- factories making rivets and men unloading wheat -- his poems are muggy with sweat. I just wish they offered more than nostalgia.

("Chicago" & "Grass" are 5-star poems, btw. Read those.)
Tom Romig
May 16, 2013 Tom Romig rated it liked it
A poet of his time, Sandburg has an outmoded feel, though there are clearly some wonderful sparks in works such as "The People, Yes," "At the Gates of Tombs," "Sayings of Henry Stevens," "A Couple," and others. Check this out:

GRASS

Pile the bodies high at Austerlitz and Waterloo.
Shovel them under and let me work--
I am the grass; I cover all.

And pile them high at Gettysburg
And pile them high at Ypres and Verdun.
Shovel them under and let me work.
Two years, ten years, and passengers ask the conduct
Greg Bem
Dec 20, 2015 Greg Bem rated it really liked it
I felt my mind in regional lingo hallucinating to a corn husk and freight train.
Megan
Jul 02, 2008 Megan rated it really liked it
Mrs. Gray, my fifth grade teacher had a one-sided love affair with Carl. She made each student memorize a Sandburg poem and recite it infront of the class. I memorized "Under a Harvest Moon" because it was not too long or short and pictured
"Love, with little hands,
comes and touches you
with a thousand memories
and asks you
beautiful unanswerable questions".
That was more metaphor than my ten year old mind had ever grappled with before. I was enchanted with the poet of the prarie from that p
Shelley
Apr 17, 2016 Shelley rated it really liked it
"Poetry is a series of explanations of life, fading off into horizons too swift for explanations."

- Carl Sandburg from Nine Tentative (First Model) Definitions of Poetry
Patrick
Mar 19, 2015 Patrick rated it it was amazing
holy damn. the best American poet I've had the sincere pleasure of reading? quite possibly. he sure knows how to make a guy feel insignificant in the sweeping cycle of everlasting time. what have you done to my feelings, mr Sandburg? you can't take back what you've done.
Tom
Sep 21, 2007 Tom rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
This slim collection of Sandburg's poetry left me hungry for more. Sandburg's style initially feels lackluster then, upon rereading, the brilliant images jump out at you like a bullfrog shot from a cannon. At times, perhaps, a little too colloquial, over-emphasizing "common wisdom" to a fault. Still, Sandburg was a true American bard in the tradition of Walt Whitman.
Russ
May 22, 2008 Russ rated it it was amazing
My Grandmother gave me this book as a gift at age 10. He has been the reason I write poetry now. His verse uses everyday language to point at topics of War, and Unions and problems of everyday people.
One of my fovorite books of all time
Jim
Jun 21, 2009 Jim rated it it was amazing
In a recreational course on USA - Early 20th Century through literature we've just switched from Kate Chopin to this. None too soon, quite a contrast. I got to read out loud 'Chicago', a poem we all enjoyed greatly.
Phyllis
Sep 23, 2011 Phyllis rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
No wonder I feel in love with this poet when I was a teenager !
I was afraid to go back and revisit--afraid that it would not be the same. Well, 45 years later I have a rekindled love and now I understand him better.
Stephanie Ricker
Apr 16, 2010 Stephanie Ricker rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, poetry
I've been feeling inexorably alive lately, and I believe it's because of all the Carl Sandburg I've been reading. It's nigh-impossible not to feel terribly alive when reading Carl Sandburg's poetry.
Stephanie "Jedigal"
Jul 31, 2010 Stephanie "Jedigal" marked it as to-read
Matt's sister Bev liked this so much she gave it to him as a gift on two separate occasions over the years.
Todd
Jan 23, 2008 Todd rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Sandburg is another Poetry-God and perhaps my favorite American poet. Woo Hoo!
Greta
Feb 28, 2010 Greta rated it it was ok
Lovely poetry, no wonder he is widely known and appreciated.
mart
Aug 08, 2012 mart rated it it was amazing
Poems that are majestic, haunting, delicate, lovely.
Rachel
Oct 19, 2009 Rachel rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
"Can bare fact make the cloth of a shining poem?"

Yup.

Chicago
Cool Tombs
robert
Mar 20, 2011 robert rated it it was ok
...couple of good poems in here.
Brandi Denson
Jan 19, 2012 Brandi Denson rated it really liked it
Lovely poems by a brilliant poet
Luke
Dec 16, 2008 Luke rated it it was amazing
Sandburg is excellent.
Recrumm
Recrumm marked it as to-read
May 21, 2016
Keiko Dagirl
Keiko Dagirl rated it it was amazing
May 20, 2016
Angus Whittaker
Angus Whittaker marked it as to-read
May 14, 2016
Johanna Haas
Johanna Haas marked it as to-read
May 10, 2016
Tracy Hart
Tracy Hart is currently reading it
May 03, 2016
Josh
Josh rated it really liked it
May 01, 2016
  • Sure Signs: New and Selected Poems
  • Collected Poems
  • Twelve Moons
  • Earth Prayers: From Around the World: 365 Prayers, Poems, and Invocations for Honoring the Earth
  • Selected Poetry
  • That Little Something
  • Words Under the Words: Selected Poems
  • Creating Poetry
  • Ring of Bone: Collected Poems, 1950-1971
Carl August Sandburg was an American writer and editor, best known for his poetry. He won two Pulitzer Prizes, one for his poetry and another for a biography of Abraham Lincoln. H. L. Mencken called Carl Sandburg "indubitably an American in every pulse-beat".

For more info see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_San...
More about Carl Sandburg...