Start by marking “Harvest Poems: 1910-1960” as Want to Read:
Harvest Poems: 1910-1960

Harvest Poems: 1910-1960

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  194 ratings  ·  21 reviews
A representative selection of poems, culled from the Pulitzer Prize-winning poet’s published verse, plus thirteen poems appearing in book form for the first time. “[Sandburg’s poetry] is independent, honest, direct, lyric, and it endures, clamorous and muted, magical as life itself” (New York Times). Introduction by Mark Van Doren.
Published April 11th 1960 by Mariner Books (first published January 1st 1960)

To ask other readers questions about Harvest Poems, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Harvest Poems

Gina
I picked this small collection of Sandburg’s poetry up at one of my favorite thrift shops this fall. Spanning 40 years, Harvest Poems offers a great introduction to his prolific career. I related to many of the poems solely because of the wonderful depictions of the place I call home - the midwest. Sandburg describes so much movement, his words are like the wind…. constantly changing direction yet on a steady path. From man’s creation of skyscrapers being built up, and torn down, to the thinnest ...more
Punk
Jul 10, 2012 Punk rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: poetry
Poetry. A selection of Carl Sandburg's work taken from eight volumes, along with thirteen poems new to this collection, an introduction by Mark Van Doren, and a preface from Sandburg himself.

About ten years ago, I got about thirty pages into this and couldn't get any further. It's just not my kind of poetry. It's basically a WPA mural. Like carrying an enormous hammer through a field of wheat while listening to jazz and working in factory. You can practically taste the locomotives. And the overa
Jake Cooper
Sandburg's romantic grit is unmistakeable -- factories making rivets and men unloading wheat -- his poems are muggy with sweat. I just wish they offered more than nostalgia.

("Chicago" & "Grass" are 5-star poems, btw. Read those.)
Tom Romig
A poet of his time, Sandburg has an outmoded feel, though there are clearly some wonderful sparks in works such as "The People, Yes," "At the Gates of Tombs," "Sayings of Henry Stevens," "A Couple," and others. Check this out:

GRASS

Pile the bodies high at Austerlitz and Waterloo.
Shovel them under and let me work--
I am the grass; I cover all.

And pile them high at Gettysburg
And pile them high at Ypres and Verdun.
Shovel them under and let me work.
Two years, ten years, and passengers ask the conduct
Megan
Mrs. Gray, my fifth grade teacher had a one-sided love affair with Carl. She made each student memorize a Sandburg poem and recite it infront of the class. I memorized "Under a Harvest Moon" because it was not too long or short and pictured
"Love, with little hands,
comes and touches you
with a thousand memories
and asks you
beautiful unanswerable questions".
That was more metaphor than my ten year old mind had ever grappled with before. I was enchanted with the poet of the prarie from that p
Lisa
Jan 02, 2014 Lisa rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
A good small collection of Carl Sandburg poems. If you want to over think them, read the introduction. If you just want to experience them, skip it.

"Human is human
Human may be wrong
but it's human all the same."

Carl Sandburg's poems are wonderfully human. Red and White, Happiness and For You are two of my favorites from this edition.
Patrick
holy damn. the best American poet I've had the sincere pleasure of reading? quite possibly. he sure knows how to make a guy feel insignificant in the sweeping cycle of everlasting time. what have you done to my feelings, mr Sandburg? you can't take back what you've done.
Tom
Sep 21, 2007 Tom rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: poetry
This slim collection of Sandburg's poetry left me hungry for more. Sandburg's style initially feels lackluster then, upon rereading, the brilliant images jump out at you like a bullfrog shot from a cannon. At times, perhaps, a little too colloquial, over-emphasizing "common wisdom" to a fault. Still, Sandburg was a true American bard in the tradition of Walt Whitman.
Russ
My Grandmother gave me this book as a gift at age 10. He has been the reason I write poetry now. His verse uses everyday language to point at topics of War, and Unions and problems of everyday people.
One of my fovorite books of all time
Jim
In a recreational course on USA - Early 20th Century through literature we've just switched from Kate Chopin to this. None too soon, quite a contrast. I got to read out loud 'Chicago', a poem we all enjoyed greatly.
Phyllis
No wonder I feel in love with this poet when I was a teenager !
I was afraid to go back and revisit--afraid that it would not be the same. Well, 45 years later I have a rekindled love and now I understand him better.
Stephanie Ricker
I've been feeling inexorably alive lately, and I believe it's because of all the Carl Sandburg I've been reading. It's nigh-impossible not to feel terribly alive when reading Carl Sandburg's poetry.
Stephanie "Jedigal"
Jul 31, 2010 Stephanie "Jedigal" marked it as to-read
Matt's sister Bev liked this so much she gave it to him as a gift on two separate occasions over the years.
Todd
Jan 23, 2008 Todd rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: poetry
Sandburg is another Poetry-God and perhaps my favorite American poet. Woo Hoo!
Greta
Lovely poetry, no wonder he is widely known and appreciated.
mart
Poems that are majestic, haunting, delicate, lovely.
Rachel
"Can bare fact make the cloth of a shining poem?"

Yup.
Cami
Jun 27, 2011 Cami rated it 3 of 5 stars
Some of my favorites:

Fog
Chicago
Cool Tombs
robert
...couple of good poems in here.
Brandi Denson
Lovely poems by a brilliant poet
Luke
Sandburg is excellent.
Lisa Morrow
Lisa Morrow marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
Izz
Izz marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
Sarah Curtis
Sarah Curtis marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2015
Frances
Frances marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
Molly
Molly is currently reading it
Apr 17, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Earth Prayers: From Around the World: 365 Prayers, Poems, and Invocations for Honoring the Earth
  • Sure Signs: New and Selected Poems
  • That Little Something
  • The Practice of Poetry: Writing Exercises From Poets Who Teach
  • Bucolics
  • Ring of Bone: Collected Poems, 1950-1971
  • The Ink Dark Moon: Love Poems by Ono no Komachi and Izumi Shikibu, Women of the Ancient Court of Japan
  • Flow Chart
  • The Pocket Book of Ogden Nash
Carl August Sandburg was an American writer and editor, best known for his poetry. He won two Pulitzer Prizes, one for his poetry and another for a biography of Abraham Lincoln. H. L. Mencken called Carl Sandburg "indubitably an American in every pulse-beat".

For more info see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_San...
More about Carl Sandburg...
Abraham Lincoln: The Prairie Years and the War Years Chicago Poems The Complete Poems Rootabaga Stories Selected Poems