Start by marking “From a Buick 8” as Want to Read:
From a Buick 8

From a Buick 8

3.41  ·  Rating Details  ·  47,136 Ratings  ·  1,132 Reviews
There is a terrifying secret shrouded in Shed B in the state police barracks in Statler, Pennsylvania. A secret which, for the past twenty years, has drawn the troopers, terrified yet irresistibly tempted, to look at its beautiful chrome fenders, silver grille and exotic exhaust system. One day Ned peers through the windows of Shed B and discovers the family secret. And li ...more
Published August 1st 2002 by Hodder & Stoughton

To ask other readers questions about From a Buick 8, please sign up.

Michael Cargill Cargill My advice is to start reading something else!

I'm a big Stephen King fan, but From a Buick 8 is probably the worst thing he's written.

Carol
2.5 Stars

OMGOSH, I really can't believe I'm rating a Stephen King novel 2.5 Stars, but From A Buick 8 turned out to be a real "clunker" of a read for me.

The story begins enticingly when a mysterious man dressed in black rolls into a gas station for a fill-up and forthwith disappears leaving his evil vintage car behind. Unfortunately though, except for a few freaky monster moments and light shows, the plot was long, lacking and laborious.

A rare disappointment from The King!

Edward Lorn
Nov 10, 2015 Edward Lorn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Guantanamo Bay Detainees
There are many problems with this book, but they can all be summed up with a quote from the actual text:

From page 297 of the hardcover, third paragraph, starting fourth sentence in:

But--this is important--tell me a story, one that has a beginning and a middle and an end where everything is explained. Because I deserve that. Don't shake the rattle of your ambiguity in my face. I deny its place. I repudiate its claim. I want a story.

No. Fucking. Shit. King spends a great deal of this book explain
*~Lan Lan~*
3.5 stars.

Yes, I did it! I finished this book!

It is not like this book is horrible or anything, but for its 350 something page length, it took longer and a lot of energy to finish. In comparison to King's novels that I have read, this is one of the most dense, uneventful books he has published.

From a Buick 8 is a novel that is meant to make you think more than entertain. It presents an interesting premise, one that emphasizes our human nature for needing 'meaning' in life. It makes us question
trishtrash
Jan 15, 2009 trishtrash rated it it was amazing
I often wonder if 'Buick' counts as metafiction: a story told within a story which is, in a way, about stories, and our obsession with endings and with finding out. Principally, though, it's a rollicking good horror yarn in which the creepy is layed on with a trowel until you just want it to stop... well, maybe after one more page.

The premise of an alternative dimension has never been handled so diffidently. It's there, in the boot of a car, under a tarp, in a garage on the local sheriff's offic
Franco  Santos
A veces, cuando alguien lo pasa mal, le ayudan más personas de las que esperaba. Y a veces, aun así, no es suficiente.

Empezaba tan bien este libro... Al principio pensaba que me iba a encantar, pero a medida que avanzaba se me hacía cada vez más aburrido. Lo bueno es que no es pesado, entonces se puede leer rápido. No obstante, en relación con la historia, es muy lenta y repetitiva.

Lo siento, Steve, pero no me gustó.
Nathan
Feb 04, 2016 Nathan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
I don't think this is the best novel I've read. It's not even Stephen King's best. It is my favorite though. It's the novel I've reread most often. This was at least my fifteenth reading of it and I still had fun.
Reanna
First off, let me just say this book literally took me all month to get through and it was relentlessly slow. I kept hoping, wishing the story would pick up the pace but it just never did. If you're looking for one of those quick, enjoyable King fixes that we all know and love, this is not the book I'd recommend. I read it because it was the book selection of the month for the group and I would have eventually read it anyway.

I really wanted to rip this book apart and rate it a 1 star but that's
Jerry
Jul 22, 2010 Jerry rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
One-idea book tires -- way too long for small plot...

Like a burlesque sketch that is funny for a minute or two but gets boring when nothing new happens for another half hour, King gives us an interesting premise that goes almost nowhere for the rest of the book. An old Buick is left at a gas station by a mysterious person who disappears, as does one of the investigating State Police of Troop D in Western PA; thereafter, the car is stored at the barracks and occasionally puts on laser light show
Erik
Oct 20, 2011 Erik rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
You have a favorite restaurant. They serve a new four-course meal each time you visit (the fourth being dessert) and you always leave feeling full and satisfied. But this time you notice the "Under New Management" sign. But you're not worried. They're still doing great business and the line is around the block. Fortunately, you made reservations.

As the courses progress, you notice the flavors are bland, uninteresting, and redundant. Maybe the chef is having an off night. You push through it, bec
Kit★
Mar 27, 2011 Kit★ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: keep-forever
This was a re-read for me, the only other time I had read this book was when it was first published, back in 2002. So, needless to say, I didn't remember much aside from the basic premise of the story: the car and the things it does. So it was nice sinking into this story all over again, getting to know the characters, the "Troop D Family". Stephen King does such a good job of creating and fleshing out characters, I feel like I know them, this whole story felt like I was there at the barracks, s ...more
JerryB
Jul 10, 2016 JerryB rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, re-read
Just finishing off another rereading of this one, which, I gotta say, stands up remarkably well to repeated readings ... in fact, I couldn't help but notice this time around that From a Buick 8 actually gets more and more frightening each time I read it. Quite counterintuitive. Knowing that 90-to-99% of readers will not understand what I'm about to say here, I just love this book. It has some of the most gorgeous writing SK has done anywhere, and when you compare it with, I don't know, Firestart ...more
شيرين هنائي
اعلم انني العربية الوحيدة في قراء ستيفن كينج التي تجرأت و كتبت بالعربية،لكن خلف ذلك سر صغير..اود ان اشارك قاريء العربية شغفي بهذا الكاتب الرائع و اشاركه ايضا وجهه نظري في الخمسة نجوم التي اعطيتها لتلك الرواية.
اولا هي رواية بسيطة تنقلك في سلاسة الى عالم الجنود و الثكنات و السر الذي تداريه كتيبة صغيرة و تتاورثة طيله ربع قرن.
اسلوب غير مسبوق في التقافز بين رواة متعددين و مع ذلك لا يفقد لقاريء ابدا ترابط الاحداث و لا تركيزه مع من يكحي ماذا..كل شخصية لها لزماتها و لكنتها و شخصيتها المتفردة..تحدي كبير
Kandice
Oct 28, 2014 Kandice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
2002 - I just didn't "get" it.

October 2014
The first (and second) time I read this book the extent of my thoughts were “Hmmm...I just didn’t get it.”. I gave it 2 stars and called it good. I’ve always felt a little guilty about that. Not only because I generally adore everything King writes on principal, but also because I obviously didn’t care enough to write a bit more.

I have been on a Colorado Kid/Haven kick for the last ten months or so. For anyone unfamiliar with either of those, the novel
Si Barron
I loved the premise of this story. Stephen King usually takes an interesting situation and then throws characters at it and watches how it develops. Sometimes, especially in his early novels the characters develop the situation and we move on into what might be called plot line. (King doesn't start with a plot line fixed, he creates as he goes along so he says in 'On Writing')

This development does not happen in 'From a Buick 8' Perhaps it has something to do with the way the narrative is told- a
Beth
Oct 06, 2007 Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You don't have a be Stephen King fan to enjoy this book. The plot was intriguing, the characters were likeable, and the story involves a true mystery. This is the kind of story that only Stephen King could pull off successfully. Make no mistake - this is not "Christine" revisited. This is a whole-new, remarkable story about a not-of-the-world Buick... but, not really a Buick. The story revolves as much around the complex lives of its characters as it does the mysterious Buick... that's not reall ...more
Chrissa Vasileiou
Το "Από μια Μπιούικ 8" είναι η πιο τρανή απόδειξη πως ένα μυαλό όπως αυτό του King,αφάνταστα δημιουργικό κι εφευρετικό,μπορεί να εμπνευστεί από το οποιοδήποτε γεγονός,όσο τυχαίο και να 'ναι,και να δημιουργήσει μια ιστορία που με την πρώτη ματιά μοιάζει εξωπραγματική,αλλά όσο προχωράς στην ανάγνωση βυθίζεσαι μέσα της και σε τραβάει με έναν παράξενο τρόπο,παρόμοιο μ' εκείνον που τραβάει η Μπιούικ τους άντρες της Διμοιρίας Δ.
Είναι επίσης η απόδειξη πως κάποιες ιστορίες,όσο ευφάνταστες και καλογραμμ
Jay Jessmer
Dec 08, 2013 Jay Jessmer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OK, I've said before that Stephen King is a genius, and he has now shown me another reason why, albeit probably unintentionally. This book grabbed me immediately, and sucked me in, then about a third of the way in I thought, ok, this is going nowhere and I am going to be let down. There was nothing really happenning and I could feel that it was just going to be a LONG short story.
Then about 2/3 of the way through, I realized what was happenning: I became a character in the book. Alright, that'
Siobhan
Oct 20, 2015 Siobhan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If the truth is to be known there are a number of Stephen King books that I sit and think ‘why, and more importantly how, did I work my way through all of this’. I was expecting this to be one such book, meaning I was more than a little bit surprised when I managed to go against everyone who seems to think it is a rather drab book.

It is a slow starter. In fact, I will change that to say the book is rather slow as a whole. Events seem to take place in fits and starts as details are relayed to us.
Alex Telander
Stephen King will publish two books this year: one is already out, and the other will be released tomorrow. In January or February the publishing schedule was switched around for some reason, so Everything’s Eventual – a collection of short stories – was released in March, while From a Buick 8 will be released on Tuesday. Why this is, I know not, but I can certainly say Mr. King did not save the best for last in his publishing schedule of 2002. From a Buick 8 is simply not that good.

The book beg
Joanne Harris
Dec 18, 2014 Joanne Harris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can see why some Stephen King fans found this book unsatisfactory. It is relatively slow-moving, inconclusive, relies on implict, rather than explicit menace, and seems at times almost existential in its depiction of death and the mundane. It dares to tell a story that ends on a question mark, and challenges and subverts all the standard tropes of the standard horror novel. However, to me these are the very things that make the book stand out as it does - in fact, I think this may be the most ...more
Thomas Strömquist
May 06, 2016 Thomas Strömquist rated it liked it
Shelves: book-collection
My King reading project took a slightly larger step into the 2000's, since I have read Dreamcatcher (actually, that one I've read all the times I ever intend to!) and Black House not too long ago.

I happily found this one way better than it's kind of poor reputation. That said, it is a non-story (as stated by King himself) based on a fun and not-so-little weird idea of a very special Buick-thing. Why it looks like a car, I don't know. To be honest, the idea does not carry a 400+ page novel. It's
Arinn Dembo
May 15, 2012 Arinn Dembo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
A great deal of King's later work has a Fortean, trans-dimensional element woven in alongside the more traditional threads of his story tapestries; this one focuses on that element much more directly.

I'm not going to indulge in plot synopsis, because I hate spoilers. I'm just going to say that this book has all the elements that make his fiction great, and will define him in the future as one of the great American writers of his century.

I particularly admired the large cast of deeply human, very
Robert Beveridge
Stephen King, From a Buick 8 (Scribner's, 2002)

Most of us, at least among the Stephen King fans on the planet--and we are legion, much to the dismay of academics around the country--met the news of King's announced retirement with surprise and outrage. The man can't retire. Who could fill his shoes? Etc. And how could he say he's lost a step after, within the space of three years, publishing Hearts in Atlantis, containing 'Blind Willie,' one of his finest stories ever; The Girl Who Loved Tom Gor
Sarah Anne
What a tremendously fun book! You know that part in The Shawshank Redemption (the movie, I didn't like the story much - and don't read this if you haven't seen the movie) where the rock is thrown, the poster tears, and then you see Red's head verrrry sloooowly come into view? That's how this whole book felt. It was slow and steady and interesting with only small bits of crazy action. I completely loved that aspect of it. It also did a wonderful job of giving you an idea of what Troop D was like, ...more
Rob
Nov 11, 2014 Rob rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I’ve written so much elsewhere about my love for Stephen King that I steadfastly refuse to do it here. It’s not just because I’m tired of my own enthusiasm, but because From a Buick 8 is such a tepid, by-the-numbers effort that my affection starts to look a little silly.

Reading this book – and thinking about King’s longevity – I couldn’t help but think in terms of my other great pop culture loves, music and film. At some point we have to acknowledge that artists who’ve been around for 30+ years
Paul Darcy
Jan 08, 2012 Paul Darcy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
by Stephen King, published in 2002.

The master of horror many would call him, but I like to think of him as a grand storyteller who just happens to dabble in the macabre.

Stephen King may be the best known horror author of all time, but I had my reservations about his work for many years and stopped reading him altogether after a failed attempt at “Pet Cemetery”which I thought was plain horrible - until I read his much more recent “From a Buick 8".

It is a tale of human curiosity and exploration in
Popaj
Oct 01, 2015 Popaj rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, fiction
If you love Stephen King, this is the book you do not leave until you read. Although not of the best King's book, Buick 8 is one of my favorites. So detailed, so mystical, so charming - fantastic.
It remains only to make a movie according this book. I can not wait.
Rebecca McNutt
May 21, 2015 Rebecca McNutt rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It jumped rapidly from various topics and characters with no explanation, if I were to guess, Stephen King wrote this between long periods where this story was ignored and important plot points were mixed up and switched around. It could really do with some editing.
Saki-chan
Dec 19, 2015 Saki-chan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Esto forma parte de un conjunto de reseñas que hice hace tiempo para un blog en el que participaba, las copio y pego más o menos como estaban y les agrego quizás algún comentario extra, tachados, groserías, u otra cosa que no puse desde el principio porque el blog no es mío y la dueña no es una loca como yo.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

31 octubre, 2013

Cito una sinopsis que vi porque es divertida:

"Una de las más célebres historias del maestro del terror
Todd Russell
Nov 21, 2012 Todd Russell rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, machines
King sure loves horrific car tales. It must have something to do with the amount of time many people spend in their cars(?). This story involves a weird Buick rolling into a service station and the driver disappears. The troopers are called in and they find this car has no engine and odd things happen inside, especially the trunk. The story moves back and forth between the present and the past and has a bit of a Dolores Claiborne type we're-telling-you-a-tale-sonny story. King is really good wit ...more
Stephen King Fans: From a Buick 8 81 366 Apr 14, 2016 04:46PM
  • The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon: A Pop-up Book
  • Darkfall
  • The Dark Tower, Volume 3: Treachery
  • The Throat
  • The Journals of Eleanor Druse: My Investigation of the Kingdom Hospital Incident
  • The Stephen King Universe: The Guide to the Worlds of the King of Horror
  • The Damnation Game
  • Nobody True
More about Stephen King...

“It's funny how close the past is, sometimes. Sometimes it seems as if you could almost reach out and touch it. Only who really wants to?” 24 likes
“You don't always talk with your mouth. Sometimes what you say with your mouth hardly matters at all. You have to signify” 21 likes