3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  110 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Introduction by Dr. Herbert Benson, author of The Relaxation Response A drug-free, scientifically proven program for conquering insomnia in six weeks.

At least thirty million adults ure the stress of severe, chronic insomnia, and the numbers of sufferers aregrowing. Dr. Gregg Jacobs has used the six-week program offered in Say Good Night to Insomnia to help thousands of in...more
Published January 13th 1999 by Henry Holt and Co. (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Say Good Night to Insomnia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Say Good Night to Insomnia

Steve
About 8 summers ago I got a case of insomnia that only let me get about 2 hours of sleep a day for almost 2 weeks. Like many people I found that many doctors and so called sleep specialists really don't know that much.

I was falling apart and I was scared. I was on my way to making sleep medications a regular part of my life when I found this book. It helped me get off the sleep medications and get back to sleeping normally.

The methods used in the book are all based on good science and proven pra...more
Christie
I've had insomnia off and on for the last four years. It usually goes away with exercise. However, it came back a week before I started my new job two months ago and exercise didn't do a thing. I went through the first four weeks (plus the baseline week) of this program and felt like it made a huge difference in how I slept. I still wake up several times a night, but I fall asleep very soon afterward.

The last two weeks of the program may have been helpful but the steps to do felt a little more n...more
Michelle
Both my uncle and my brother-in-law say that this book changed their lives. Maybe I've just already learned a lot about insomnia, because I didn't feel like there was much new material. It does serve as a good reminder.

One thing I did think was interesting (and new) was that mood suffers the most after not sleeping well, but only because we're upset about the loss of sleep. When we want to stay up late for something, we don't complain about it later. (Sometimes we even brag about it--"I went to...more
Jgknobler
This book was handed to me by a patient--which I never really appreciate: the demand to do several hours of unpaid work or be seen as uncaring. But I do tend to fall for this kind of blackmail, and I actually liked this book, which is a good all-over review of cognitive behavioral techniques (changing thoughts about sleep; relaxation response, and my favorite, "learning to think away your stress.")
Kathleen Krepps
This book is worth its weight in gold. After suffering through terrible insomnia and reaching my breaking point, I tried this approach . . . and it worked! 1000x better than Ambien, too. I was skeptical of the method, particularly sleep restriction, but it cured my problem and I've been sleeping well for months. I followed the book religiously and after a couple of weeks I saw incredible improvement.
Tina
Aug 28, 2007 Tina rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: insomniacs
Shelves: non-fiction
I read this for practical purposes, not for pleasure. I didn't follow the six-week program, but just reading the tips/strategies have proven helpful to me. Also, some interesting information on sleep, though some is likely to be redundant if you've got a med/psych background. Still, I'd definitely recommend this if you've got insomnia.
Tina.
Feb 20, 2008 Tina. rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: insomniacs and all others who want to learn about sleep
Shelves: read-in-2008
I learned more about sleep from this book than I ever thought there was to know. It's great for that reason. The second part of it was not equally great (or as helpful to me), though.

Oh, and I just remembered... It's pretty funny that the book that's supposed to help one get rid of insomnia was published by Owl Books.
Leah
After my second baby I went through a 6 week period living on 0-3 hours sleep a night. This book was a lifesaver..I am sleeping so much better again. It's simple but it works.
Eliza Mansuetto Uribe
Most of the points and tips I already heard from Dr. Oz and such. Gave some interesting insights. I have been trying them out and following them. Seem to be helping.
Cathy
He has some good ideas to help with insomnia. I didn't try his 6 week program but will use some of his hints.
Sofi Carpenter
Nov 28, 2007 Sofi Carpenter rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone suffering from insomnia
Shelves: self-help
I gave this book 5 stars because after several weeks of suffering from insomnia I tried their method and it worked!
Ilona
A lot of common sense recommendations. Nothing really earth-shattering. Some good reminders.
Amy Cox
My doctor recommended I read this, even though I'm not struggling with insomnia. It was a great read for anyone who wants to learn about and improve their sleep. The text takes you through how sleep works, including body temperature and the minimum amount of sleep your body needs. Jacobs brought up many things I hadn't read before, such as when to take a bath, when to eat carbs, and when to exercise in order to optimize sleep. Perhaps the most surprising aspect was the focus on how important rou...more
Very helpful book! I have slept great every since reading it!
De
Re-reading this one since insomnia has struck again...
Huckleberry
Read it in one night :)

Too soon to know if I will get any results. Theres seemed to be some good pointers that I can hopefully use and will help.
Kimic
It didn't say anything that I haven't already read before.
Bucket
While I didn't follow his program to the letter, I found a lot of helpful advice in here that I used to build my own treatment plan.
Terance Cantrell
I found this book helpful and, unlike so many self-help volumes, well-founded in science. Further, the information is much-needed. Far too many insomniacs rely on drugs, often to their detriment. In the long run, only the pharmaceutical companies profit.
Azz Lunatic
I'm sure this is all good advice, but the tone of the book is approximately as overwhelmingly perky and self-helpy as Flylady. Read at my aunt's recommendation. This was one of her misses.
Joanne
I wish I had read this book years ago. Instead, it took me years to figure out many of these techniques out on my own. Worth the read if you have insomnia.
Joe Sampson
While this helped me it did not solve my insomnia problem. I still, after 25 years, have trouble sleeping most nights.
Mary
Giving it four stars- the writing style and tone is dull and uninspiring, but the information gave me my sanity back.
Fee
Very practical book, positive feel, but it' s not a quick fix. This method will take time and effort.
Todd Kokoszka
Good book -- helpful info about insomnia. Branches out into practices that help to reduce stress in general.
Barney
May 30, 2008 Barney rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who has insomnia
An excellent book about the causes of and treatment of insomnia.
Using the techniques in the book, I overcame a bad bout of insomnia within 3 weeks, with no drugs required.
Bev
still reading
Daniel Mitchell
Daniel Mitchell is currently reading it
Sep 11, 2014
Angelina
Angelina marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Use of this book 1 5 May 10, 2010 02:52PM
The Ancestral Mind: Reclaim the Power Say Good Night to Insomnia: The Six-Week, Drug-Free Program Developed At Harvard Medical School Say Goodnight to Insomnia Say Good Night to Insomnia: The Six-Week, Drug-Free Program Developed At Harvard Medical School The Ancestral Mind