Start by marking “The Bohemians Of The Latin Quarter: Scenes De La Vie De Boheme” as Want to Read:
The Bohemians Of The Latin Quarter: Scenes De La Vie De Boheme

The Bohemians Of The Latin Quarter: Scenes De La Vie De Boheme

3.92  ·  Rating Details  ·  289 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
The Bohemians of the Latin Quarter: Scnes de la Vie de Bohme by highly acclaimed author Henri Murger, originally published in 1851 and produced in play form in 1849, and is one of his most well-known works. Murger's work is largely based on his own personal experiences as poor writer living at the time in a Parisian attic and his interactions with other friends who were as ...more
Paperback
Published April 1st 2007 by Filiquarian Publishing, LLC. (first published 1851)

To ask other readers questions about The Bohemians Of The Latin Quarter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bohemians Of The Latin Quarter

Jim
Dec 08, 2014 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: france, fiction
It reminds me of the Beat Generation a hundred years earlier. The Bohemians of the Latin Quarter: Scenes de la Vie de Boheme (better known as the source of Giacomo Puccini's opera La Boheme) is about four penniless bohemians: Marcel, Rodolphe, Colline, and Schaunard. They live from meal to meal -- if they are so lucky as not to have to fast -- and they are always in arrears on the rent.

Author Henri Murger has one up on the beatniks, however: All his characters are likeable and generous to a fau
Larry Piper
This is yet another book read by the protagonist of Of Human Bondage, Philip. Fortunately, it's much better than that previous piece of crap I read as a result of reading about Philip's life. But, it's not great. If I could give +s and -s, I'd give it a 3*-. With luck, I'll manage to avoid Peregrine Pickle, another book Philip read, but then since that book also figured prominently in David Copperfield's early life as well, perhaps not. We'll see.

This book is essentially a set of short stories,
Megan Anderson
Sarah Greenman
Feb 17, 2008 Sarah Greenman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Paris - the Latin Quarter - the basis for the opera "La Boheme" and the musical "Rent". This crazy romp through Paris in latter half of the 1800's is a riot. A real taste of the poor starving artist and the beginning of a HUGE artistic movement in Paris. A little tough at times because of the dated language - but hilarious, outrageous and romantic. Makes me want to light up a cigarette and talk with a lover until 4 in the morning.
Marilyn
Sep 16, 2009 Marilyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Un matin, c’était le 8 avril, Alexandre Schaunard, qui cultivait les deux arts libéraux de la peinture et de la musique, fut brusquement réveillé par le carillon que lui sonnait un coq du voisinage qui lui servait d’horloge.

— Sacrebleu ! s’écria Schaunard, ma pendule à plumes avance, il n’est pas possible qu’il soit déjà aujourd’hui."

Petites nouvelles à lire et à relire !
Brittannia

The story is very much about Mimi, which Puccini transferred to his opera. However, Murger's book is just a bunch of little scenes/vignettes; quite different than where this story went Puccini's opera. Other than discovering some of the character origins, it honestly wasn't worth the read. Very stale. Just a bunch of bums hanging out. Doing nothing. Talking rubbish.
Rachel Pollock
Apr 25, 2015 Rachel Pollock rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this book. It's more like a collection of interconnected short stories about the same collection of friends/lovers, for the most part, but it's really a great contrast to the uptight and generally prudish nature of English 19th century fiction. It was particularly gratifying as a female reader to find the women in this book (written and set in the 1840s) owned their own sexuality, romantic expression, fickle love affairs, and that none of the characters, male or female) shamed ...more
Ally Taylor
Mar 01, 2015 Ally Taylor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The libretto La Bohème, by authors Luigi Illica and Giuseppe Giacosa, based of the novel La Vie de Bohème by Henri Murger, tells the story of six bohemians finding love and struggling to live in 19th-century Paris. La Bohème is a story I am very familiar with, as I have seen both the opera and the modern adaptation, Rent (a musical), both of which I thoroughly enjoyed. I would give this a rating of 4/5 stars because of its beautifully phrased passages and word choice as well its content (which i ...more
Gabriela
Jan 16, 2014 Gabriela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone who likes the study of character
Shelves: nook
I really really enjoyed this book, the way it is written and the characters it presents. I first watched the opera in Budapest and then started reading it, with the bright colorful costumes of the era in mind. The life of a Bohemian may seem so fantastic, so unreal, yet so well portrayed in this book. I haven't decided which is my favorite character, the philosopher, the poet or the composer. Each in his own way is miraculously naive at times and mature out of the blue. It seems they each evolve ...more
Lis
Jun 04, 2011 Lis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-reads
i read this on my kindle (yeah, i got one). i get most of my ebooks free from project gutenberg. this one i "bought" for 0.00 from amazon.com. i had never seen so many mistakes in a book, but i guess i still paid nothing, so i won't complain much.

this book was written in the 1800s. the bohemians are a small group of young parisians trying to live as artists (writer, painter, poet, etc.). it follows them as they try to not get kicked out due to missed rent, buy clothes secondhand, continually sea
Sharon
Henri Murger's series of vignettes concerning four Paris bohemians (Marcel, Rodolphe, Colline and Schaunard) is the basis for Puccini's "La Boheme" and, subsequently, Jonathan Larson's "Rent."

The book combines pathos and unexpected good humor to show the difficulties of artistic life in 19th C. Paris. The mens' unfailing enthusiasm and absolute belief that they are about to be the next big thing carries them in and out of various scrapes and, of course, into the arms of various women.

I found the
Cera
Oct 10, 2008 Cera rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-get
This was so very delightful! I'm familiar with _La bohème_ and with _Rent_ (the mid-90s rock musical update of it), so I had no idea that Murger's original novel was so *funny*. Rodolphe & Mimi's affair, rather than being the centre of the book, is a very small portion; it's mostly a romp through the attics and streets of Bohemian Paris, as the four male artists have brief affairs with uneducated young women with charming voices, eat herring when they'd rather have haute cuisine, and attempt ...more
Nick Seymour
Not a bad book. A terrible, terrible opera.
Kim
May 24, 2011 Kim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The beginning of the most popular story to hit ever part of the theatre world (arguably.) This begot La Boheme, which begot RENT the Musical, which begot RENT the movie. Asit is, I have seen and read and own everything I possibly could minus, of course, this book. It's not the popularity and I don't consider myself a fan. It's everything this story line represents. It's the lives it shares within it's pages. I have an affinity with a few of the characters and would honestly much prefer one of th ...more
Melissa
Jan 18, 2013 Melissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I didn't read this edition, but a much earlier hardcover one in English and then later, again in French. In French was better, if you can do it, but the English is enough to find a beautiful, romantic story of the types of people you see in the opera "La Boheme" and musical "Rent" (which are of course based on this book) and "Moulin Rouge." I am a huge fan of the Fin de Siecle, and I loved this book. Steer clear if you are a pragmatist, but if you're an artist and a romantic, this is actually a ...more
Korell Yang
波西米亞 Bohemia Boheme,一直都在我心中是個神秘又吸引人的民族,或說是種「生活方式」與「人生態度」。直到接觸了更多的關於歐洲的訊息之後,搭配這本書當中更鮮明清楚的波西米亞人生活情境,漸漸對於自己想過的生活方式,竟然顯得模糊了...不過,大抵是本很有趣、也很所謂藝術與現實的兼顧時,所展現的波西米亞式。
S. L.
Nov 17, 2014 S. L. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading as an ebook from Gutenberg.org
Biswajit
May 25, 2016 Biswajit rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As the title suggests the book is very playful easy to read with joy. It would be best enjoyed allowing yourself to read it in an environment on a balcony, on a sunny day, letting some sun enter half your room to create some contrast and in the shadowy part place a gramophone with a vinyl to listen to some French classics. A half-naked Madeline sleeping on the couch is a must.
Suvi
Basically a heap of indifferent conversations and indifferent characters. I can imagine this as a play a lot better because frankly Murger does not have the literary skills to write a novel. Sentences after another didn't make an interesting insight to a bohemian life in 19th century Paris but rather snooze of a collection of boring chapters.
Tom
Nov 02, 2010 Tom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very funny (how many times I laughed in the course of the stories). Very colorfully written. This revised novel was based on the same set of short stories upon which Puccini based the opera La Boheme; well the opera conflated a number of the people into a smaller set and took only a small portion of the overall set of stories.
Mia
Mar 17, 2016 Mia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Perfect book to read when you're broke. Descriptions of all pranks that bohemians did to find some money to pay the rent and buy tobacco and bottle of wine are fun to read but love stories are a bit too pathethic. also, those bohemians were quite hipsterish.
Nima
Jan 02, 2009 Nima rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked it quite a bit. It didn't really matter when it was written, the story still holds true of today's bohemian set, and I saw quite a few of my colorful friends in the eyes of the characters in the book.
Mar 07, 2007 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These stories have been the source material for so many things that it was nice to finally read them. Good stories of irresponsible youth and creativity.
Brett
Jul 01, 2015 Brett rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As research for my performance in "Bohême," this was interesting but without that incentive, I don't know that I would have bothered with it.
Luca Gandolfi
Feb 02, 2015 Luca Gandolfi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book that inspired my bohemian life when I was 20 years old...one of the books, or 'The Book', to which are linked my best memories.
Ruth Learn
Oct 11, 2015 Ruth Learn rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
the characters are obnoxious. there's no real structured plot. I couldn't even finish this. What more can I say?
Natalia
Интересно почитать о жизни французской богемы. Легкие рассказы, забавное персонажи.
Gail
Mar 29, 2013 Gail rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I found it utterly pointless and couldn't bring myself to read more than half of it.
Katelyn Patterson
Really enjoyed his writing. Wonderful combination of humor and sweet poetry!
  • A Parisian Affair and Other Stories (34 stories)
  • The Best of Dorothy Parker
  • Presence: Stories
  • L'orologiaio di Everton
  • Noa Noa
  • Some Thing Black
  • The Bobbsey Twins at the County Fair (Bobbsey Twins, 15)
  • Memoirs of Montparnasse
  • Petite Mort
  • Devil's Island
  • The Life of Henry Brulard
  • Les Animaux dénaturés
He is chiefly distinguished as the author of Scènes de la vie de bohème, from his own experiences as a desperately poor writer living in a Parisian attic, and member of a loose club of friends who called themselves "the water drinkers" (because they were too poor to afford wine). In his writing he combines instinct with pathos and humour, sadness his predominant tone. The book is the basis for the ...more
More about Henri Murger...

“Study is the child of silence and mystery.” 23 likes
“The day is not over yet. You may still meet with Providence, who never gets up before noon.” 7 likes