Start by marking “The Hidden Spirituality of Men: Ten Metaphors to Awaken the Sacred Masculine ” as Want to Read:
The Hidden Spirituality of Men: Ten Metaphors to Awaken the Sacred Masculine

The Hidden Spirituality of Men: Ten Metaphors to Awaken the Sacred Masculine

3.85  ·  Rating Details  ·  68 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
It is no secret that men are in trouble today. From war to ecological collapse, most of the world's critical problems stem from a distorted masculinity out of control. Yet our culture rewards the very dysfunctions responsible for those problems.

To Matthew Fox, our crucial task is to open our minds to a deeper understanding of the healthy masculine than we receive from our
Published December 14th 2009 by New World Library (first published October 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Hidden Spirituality of Men, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hidden Spirituality of Men

Tami
Nov 27, 2008 Tami rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have numerous shelves full of books written specifically for women. These resources encourage women to let go of unhealthy societal expectations, learn to love themselves, and to embrace their inner goddess.

What I realized as I began reading The Hidden Spirituality of Men is that I don’t have any books written for men or about the masculine parts of us all. What about my husband, my son, and my grandson? Doesn’t the world give them unrealistic messages that “real men” don’t show their emotion
Meg Murphy
Could have been cut in half. Though insightful and overall interesting, very repetitive. With only a few exceptions (ex. the chapter on Icarus and Deadalus), read as a dry research paper. You'd be better served reading a summary than the book itself.
Billy
Nov 14, 2014 Billy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: healing
I expected a lot from this book, but it was a nice expansion on the evolving idea of archetypes of the self and their shadow. This book is a fine companion to King, Warrior, Magician, Lover by Robert Moore.
Christine Christman
NOT for men only. Matthew Fox struck gold again with this wonderful look into the archetypes for male spirituality that has encouraged me toward a healthier balance of masculine/feminine in my own life and in my world view. I didn't agree with everything he described, but many aspects of the archetypes rang true and his perspective on masculinity brings hope for a true masculine spirit which has been so wounded by patriarchy.
Rachel
Jul 23, 2012 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Matthew Fox has never written a book that I haven't liked - and this one is no exception. This is not a book to be read in a single sitting but rather a book that is best read a sentence or two at or a paragraph at a time. Taking time to reflect on what he has written.
Ralph
Jul 12, 2014 Ralph rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Had to put this one down before finishing. Very far out there, and not compelling enough to keep reading.
Julie
Sep 10, 2014 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant and comprehensive. It greatly expanded my understanding of and compassion for both men and women.
Reanee Spratt
I love Matthew Fox and thanks Mati as I have nto read this one yet.
John Edward
John Edward marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
AWALS
AWALS marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Robby
Robby rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2016
Vaughn Zeller
Vaughn Zeller rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2016
Judy
Judy marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2016
John Borthwick
John Borthwick marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2016
David M. Abbitt
David M. Abbitt rated it really liked it
Dec 25, 2015
Rhodabrew
Rhodabrew marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2015
M Coleman
M Coleman is currently reading it
Oct 25, 2015
Paul Elliston
Paul Elliston rated it really liked it
Oct 25, 2015
Bert
Bert marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2015
Na'il Shakoor
Na'il Shakoor marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2015
Martin Hassman
Martin Hassman marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2015
Acinom
Acinom marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2015
Brooke
Brooke marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2015
Patrik Olterman
Patrik Olterman is currently reading it
Sep 01, 2015
Richard Wayne
Richard Wayne is currently reading it
Aug 13, 2015
Jennifer Leigh
Jennifer Leigh marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2015
Christopher DeGraffenreid
Christopher DeGraffenreid rated it really liked it
Jul 31, 2015
Chris
Chris rated it it was ok
Jan 16, 2016
Rebekka
Rebekka marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
Lee Eddy
Lee Eddy marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Matthew Fox (born 1940) is an American Episcopal priest and theologian. He is an exponent of Creation Spirituality, a movement grounded in the mystical philosophies of medieval visionaries Hildegard of Bingen, Thomas Aquinas, Meister Eckhart and Nicholas of Cusa. His books have sold millions of copies and by the mid 1990s had a "huge and diverse following".
More about Matthew Fox...

“Human beings are midway between the size of a living cell and the size of Earth.” 1 likes
“men should not be sexing their women in the missionary position because they are facing away from the sky. Instead of looking down, men are to look up. To the vastness of Father Sky” 1 likes