Start by marking “Standing at Armageddon: A Grassroots History of the Progressive Era” as Want to Read:
Standing at Armageddon: A Grassroots History of the Progressive Era

Standing at Armageddon: A Grassroots History of the Progressive Era

3.72  ·  Rating Details  ·  176 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Standing at Armageddon is a comprehensive and lively historical account of America's shift from a rural and agrarian society to an urban and industrial society. Nell Irvin Painter will be featured in the PBS multipart series The Progressive Era with Bill Moyers, which coincides with the release of the updated edition of this acclaimed work.
Published March 7th 2011 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Standing at Armageddon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Standing at Armageddon

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways
Rating: 4.125* of five

The USA has a long history of upheaval and change. The Progressive Era, one that we 21st-century beneficiaries tend to forget existed, was the cradle of such social justice as FDR was able to jam down the gullets of the horrible, nasty conservatives that have always dominated American politics and continue to do even today, to our lasting shame.

The Jeffersonian ideal of an agrarian democracy died about 1840. Industrialization, in those early years, went on in a brutal, hide
N.W. Martin
Reading this for my America from 1877 to 1929 class. So far it is okay, though Mrs. Painter's bias prompted me to cross-read this with a Mark Summers survey. In the first two chapters, she has downplayed the role of technology (actually she is overly negative toward any project that 'exploited' the workers)and glorifies the Union and Worker strikes post-reconstruction. I have a nagging feeling that her worldview is being pushed onto her facts, and for that reason alone I've rated the book so low ...more
Scott
Dec 30, 2012 Scott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The period of American history between 1877 and 1919 is often misunderstood as a boring time when nothing really happened. This is not indirectly brought about through excessively complex and abstract economic theory about money supply, sometimes bland political theater, and the gravity of the Civil War/Reconstruction and World War One have upon our national consciousness. Plus, how much of this period weighs upon the lives of us today? This last point is often brought up by students, and my ans ...more
Adam
Sep 02, 2007 Adam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those wanting to know more about America's first bouts with modern life
A solid introductory text to American history after Reconstruction and through the First World War. A broadly neglected field of American history, this does a nice job of contextualizing that period's social turmoil by linking postwar racial tensions to the burgeoning class and gender problems that exploded into the public sphere around the same time. As importantly, Painter writes with fire and just the right dose of venom. The chapters are a breeze to read and chock-full of tidbits (perhaps to ...more
Mick
Jul 13, 2009 Mick rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The more history I read, the more I'm convinced we were robbed by our own consent.
Ben
Feb 06, 2015 Ben rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Conceives of a...long-so-called-progressive-era from 1877-1919 around three fulcrum points, the mass strike waves of: 1877, 1886, 1919. Americans were attempting to determine the correct vision for society, between those emphasizing shared prosperity (and with it hierarchy) and those emphasizing democracy (and accepting the reality of conflict, based on race, class, gender, etc.)
Michael Auger
Feb 05, 2014 Michael Auger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A thorough examination of the Progressive era of The United States, and the various social movements that cropped up.
Jessi
Jun 22, 2010 Jessi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great resource for learning progressive-era history. It provided me with a sense of just how powerful social and political unrest was in the post-reconstruction era. Painter points out that Americans in the 1890's dealt with the damaging effects of recessions, a widening gap between socioeconomic classes, and the challenges of establishing reform. The parallels between the period covered in the book and that of today is striking, and perhaps, somewhat ironic.
Jack
Jul 29, 2012 Jack rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: u-s-history
One of the very few history books that I call "a page-turner", this is a uniquely readable survey of the Gilded Age and the Progressive Era. Nell Irvin Painter discusses those periods with a focus on class, gender, and race, without sacrificing coverage of the "traditional" issues (party politics, U.S. foreign policy, economics, etc.). Highly recommended for general readers and students alike.
Ryan
Feb 24, 2012 Ryan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great account of a tumultuous period in American history. It's amazing how so many of the same issues are alive today. Nell Irvin Painter does a commendable job keeping the pace quick while including very interesting character sketches, anecdotes, and down and dirty economic scholarship. Highly recommended for anyone looking to know more about this time period.
Brandy
Feb 17, 2014 Brandy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this for a grad class.
Easily the most readable book on the time period that I've encountered. Probably the first time I've ever felt like I had a grasp on some of these issues (not least of all the silver debate). This book is a keeper.
Evans
Dec 08, 2013 Evans rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It can be a bit of a tedious read at times, but this book covers a very fascinating time in American History. It was just as good the second time since I was reading for pleasure, not for school. Painter is a very talented writer.
Charles Kingsley
Jan 12, 2013 Charles Kingsley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very interesting book that explores some different narratives of american history you won't find so well explicated in other books.
Corey
Aug 14, 2012 Corey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this in college. Actually an interesting read for I think is a very dull era in US History: The Industrial Revolution.
Alex
May 03, 2015 Alex rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
An interesting overview into the events that shaped modern America.
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
Clinton Freeman
Clinton Freeman is currently reading it
Feb 04, 2016
Marie
Marie rated it liked it
Feb 02, 2016
Ian Donnelly
Ian Donnelly marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2016
Savannah
Savannah marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Sam Jaffe
Sam Jaffe rated it it was amazing
Jan 19, 2016
Bonnie Maldonado
Bonnie Maldonado marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2016
Ed
Ed marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2016
Bradley Gills
Bradley Gills rated it liked it
Jan 13, 2016
Jim Malachowski
Jim Malachowski is currently reading it
Jan 12, 2016
Clay
Clay marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2016
Andrew Frank
Andrew Frank rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2016
Katy Magee
Katy Magee rated it it was amazing
Dec 17, 2015
R.lord
R.lord marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2015
  • Redemption: The Last Battle of the Civil War
  • Black Majority: Negroes in Colonial South Carolina from 1670 through the Stono Rebellion
  • The Search for Order, 1877-1920
  • The Americas: A Hemispheric History
  • A Fierce Discontent: The Rise and Fall of the Progressive Movement in America, 1870-1920
  • The Market Revolution: Jacksonian America, 1815-1846
  • Forgotten Continent: The Battle for Latin America's Soul
  • First Great Triumph
  • Chants Democratic: New York City and the Rise of the American Working Class, 1788-1850
  • The Legacy of Conquest: The Unbroken Past of the American West
  • The Populist Moment: A Short History of the Agrarian Revolt in America
  • Race, Reform, and Rebellion: The Second Reconstruction in Black America, 1945-1990
  • American Colossus: The Triumph of Capitalism, 1865-1900
  • Black in Latin America
  • Labor of Love, Labor of Sorrow: Black Women, Work, and the Family from Slavery to the Present
  • Personal Politics: The Roots of Women's Liberation in the Civil Rights Movement & the New Left
  • The Great Depression: America 1929-1941
  • Crabgrass Frontier: The Suburbanization of the United States
Nell Irvin Painter is an American historian notable for her works on southern history of the nineteenth century. She is retired from Princeton University, and served as president of the Organization of American Historians. She also served as president of the Southern Historical Association.

She was born Nell Irvin to Dona and Frank E. Irvin, Sr. She had an older brother Frank who died young. Her fa
More about Nell Irvin Painter...

“we have been civilizing the Filipinos up to the point where they are unanimous only on one thing, namely, that they want us to leave.”12” 0 likes
“if preparation prevents war, there would have been no war in Europe. They spent twenty years preparing for it.”29” 0 likes