Start by marking “Dancing on the Inside” as Want to Read:
Dancing on the Inside

Read Excerpt

Dancing on the Inside

4.07  ·  Rating Details  ·  107 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Ever since her grandparents gave her a DVD of "Swan Lake," twelve-year old Jenny Spark has wanted to be a dancer. But on her first day of ballet class, she suffers a panic attack and makes a horrifying discovery. She's terrified of dancing in front of the other kids, and as for actually performing for an audience? Forget it. Yet Jenny refuses to give up her dream. With det ...more
Published July 6th 2011 by iUniverse (first published July 5th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Dancing on the Inside, please sign up.

Glen Strathy No, it has a surprising and quite uplifting ending.
Twelve by Lauren MyracleThirteen by Lauren MyracleEleven by Lauren MyracleThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsThirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher
Best books for 13 year olds
15th out of 181 books — 150 voters
Bunheads by Sophie FlackA Company of Swans by Eva IbbotsonBallet Shoes by Noel StreatfeildOn Pointe by Lorie Ann Groverdancergirl by Carol M. Tanzman
YA Dance Books
17th out of 154 books — 178 voters

More lists with this book...

Literary  Chanteuse
Jan 30, 2016 Literary Chanteuse rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mg-contemporary
A lovely story of Jenny, a young girl who has a desire to learn ballet but struggles with her fear of being in the spotlight. She learns to embrace her inner talent and builds confidence while making new friendships along the way. She easily captures your heart. A must read for inspiring ballerinas!
Kelsey
This is a great book about finding--and fighting to do--something you love, despite the obstacles. Jenny's crippling shyness would make a career like ballet seem out of the question, but she doesn't let it stop her, practicing in secret instead and, for the first time, acting against her parents' wishes. Her unlikely friendship with the bubbly, outgoing Ara works beautifully. I love how "friendship" in this book goes beyond two people with shared interests enjoying each other's company. Ara and ...more
Bluerose's  Heart
Nov 18, 2011 Bluerose's Heart rated it really liked it
"Social phobia: Excessive fear of embarrassment in social situations that is extremely intrusive and can have debilitating effects on personal and professional relationships.

The symptoms and signs of social phobia include blushing, sweating, trembling, rapid heartbeat, muscle tension, nausea or other stomach discomfort, lightheadedness, and other symptoms of anxiety".

I've suffered with social phobia my entire life, so when I discovered Dancing on the Inside was about a young girl with social p
Tillie
Aug 24, 2011 Tillie rated it it was amazing
Such a cute book. It was a very quick read and honestly I couldn't put it down. I relate a lot to Jenny. I was the shy one in junior high/high school. The one who wanted to be great at things, but was afraid to fail. The one who didn't realize the talent I had. I think this is a must read for any teen/pre-teen who is shy and has a dream. The ending of the story was so sweet and I think that ballet really needs to be produced :)
Inspired Kathy
Sep 20, 2011 Inspired Kathy marked it as to-read
Author Interview & Book Giveaway ends 10/18/11
Paula  Phillips
Dec 12, 2011 Paula Phillips rated it really liked it
I've always loved Dancing movies and have been a huge fan of films like Centre Stage and Step Up , in a way this book reminded me of Centre Stage 2: Turn It Up as the main character Jenny ever since watching the DVD of Swan Lake has dreamed of becoming a famous dancer , though unfortunately for Jenny she suffers from stage fright- an awful thing when all you want to do in the world is perform in front of thousands of people. Though Jenny faces all these obstacles , she does not let that stop her ...more
Wendy Hines
Jan 14, 2012 Wendy Hines rated it liked it
Dancing on the Inside is a great young adult read. Moving to a new town, Jenny doesn't know anyone. After watching Swan Lake on DVD over and over, Jenny convinces her parents to sign her up for ballet classes. But when Jenny arrives, she's shy and hides under the piano watching the other girls. She goes home and practices what she's watched privately.

Then Jenny strikes up a friendship with Ara, a girl loves to dance but always takes backseat to her sister. Jenny thinks Ara dances beautifully and
Heavensent1
Nov 15, 2011 Heavensent1 rated it really liked it
Dancing On The Inside is a Children's Book for ages 9 - 12.

Twelve year old Jenny Spark has wanted to be a ballerina since her grandparents gave her a DVD of "Swan Lake". However, Jenny is very shy and suffers from anxiety attacks whenever she is in a crowd.

Hiding under the piano on her first day of ballet lessons, she watches the rest of the kids practice. Rose comes up with a plan so that she doesn't have to participate but can watch and secretly teach herself the moves at home.

When her parents
Literary
Feb 15, 2013 Literary rated it liked it
Mandy's Review:

If I were a middle-school-aged child, I would have fallen in love with this book immediately. It has a sense of tragedy to it that ends in triumph and self-empowerment, which would inspire any little girl reading this story. Since I am an adult reading a middle-grade novel, my review is going to be somewhat different.

First of all, Jenny's paralyzing anxiety is a little much. Granted there are genetically-transferred anxieties passed from parents to children. However ... Jenny's an
Diane
Dec 14, 2011 Diane rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011-books
I read this book all in one sitting. This is aimed at young to mid-teens so it was an easy read for me. The heroine of the story is Jenny, a very shy 12 year old who really wants to dance ballet but discovers that she's too shy, too insecure and has a panic attack at the idea of trying to learn to dance with anyone else watching. She loves ballet so much, however, that she connives a way to be allowed to observe the classes. She takes notes and practices alone at home in secret.

Ara is quite the
Lynda Coker
Aug 16, 2012 Lynda Coker rated it it was amazing
Young Adult Book by Glen C. Strathy

This story written for 'Tweens' is so good that it will transcend that age group. The story plot seems deceptively simple, but it unfurls with complexity. And Jenny is a character you can take into your heart. One that is vulnerable and shackled by her shyness, but who struggles to stay close to the thing she loves most...any way she can. Overcoming pride, guilt, and inadequacy, she moves painstakingly toward her goal. This is my first read by author Glen C. St
Jane(Janelba)
Jan 23, 2012 Jane(Janelba) rated it it was amazing
Wow what an amazing book ! I love anything to do with Ballet but this book went beyond that. I loved Jenny and could really relate to her but her friend Ara was the amazing one in this book too who supported her friend and helped her to overcome obstacles. Can't give to much info here or it will spoil it for others. All I can say is this is a book that most people should read !
NormaCenva
Jun 26, 2014 NormaCenva rated it really liked it
It was a very nice storytelling for a quiet evening time. I did enjoy the details, and characters were more or less believable. Ballet world was always mesmerizing for me, so I loved the possibility to emerge myself into this interesting world again.
Ayisha
Mar 07, 2014 Ayisha rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dancing
I really want to read this book ive heard it's awesome
Definitely a very strong story, Jenny's the type of girl I can (could) relate to, even if I was never quite as painfully shy. This book is unputdownable, whether you like and are interested in Ballet/Dancing or not.
Joan
Oct 14, 2011 Joan added it
Well, going into this I didn't realize that it was probably written for a junior high age girl. With that said, it was a good little read. I recommend it to anyone who wants to inspire their daughter.
Tracee Loran
Feb 05, 2013 Tracee Loran rated it really liked it
Very cute & inspiring book. It's a good read for young girls or anyone who need a boost of confidence and the push to do something they've always wanted to do.
Kelsey taylor
Jul 17, 2012 Kelsey taylor rated it it was amazing
Do u like dancing? if u do this book is perfect....if u dont well read it anyway
Amanda Macduffee
Jan 23, 2013 Amanda Macduffee rated it it was amazing
Great read for Tweens and adults alike. Strong message. Impressive flow.
Madi
Apr 29, 2016 Madi rated it really liked it
This book is great and I really enjoyed it because I can relate to the main character. Although, I gave it a four star rating because I think it was directed to towards younger readers. I would definitely recommend it to elementary students and girls that love dance.
Glen Strathy
Aug 24, 2011 Glen Strathy rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Recommends it for: Girls ages 9-12.
I wrote this book, so of course I like it. But I would love to know what you think.
Tuju44j
Tuju44j marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Rachel Martin
Rachel Martin marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
Isabelle
Isabelle marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
Stella
Stella marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
WhatUp
WhatUp marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Scarlett
Scarlett marked it as to-read
Amanda Pyers
Amanda Pyers marked it as to-read
Mckenzie
Mckenzie marked it as to-read
Charlotte
Charlotte marked it as to-read
  • On Pointe
  • Marie, Dancing
  • Classical Ballet Technique
  • Audition
  • Once a Dancer: An Autobiography
  • Ellie's Chance to Dance (Royal Ballet School Diaries, #1)
  • The Melting Season
  • Holding On to the Air
  • Ballet for Drina (Drina, #1)
  • A Dance of Sisters
  • The Pointe Book: Shoes, Training & Technique
  • Dancing Through Fire (Portraits, #1)
Glen C. Strathy started writing stories when he was 11 years old and too shy to have a life. He eventually found a life when he started acting in community theatre and met other writers, actors, dancers, and artists. He discovered that the best thing about performing arts (and other arts too) is that they give people more freedom to be who they want to be. After spending time as an actor, teacher, ...more
More about Glen C. Strathy...