Start by marking “The Juniper Tree and Other Tales from Grimm” as Want to Read:
The Juniper Tree and Other Tales from Grimm

The Juniper Tree and Other Tales from Grimm

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  343 ratings  ·  35 reviews
Back in Print!

Originally published as a two-volume set forty years ago, The Juniper Tree is distinguished first by the selection of stories. Lore Segal and Maurice Sendak jointly culled 27 from the 210 in the complete collection, and their contents page presents a fascinating critical statement. The translations are another distinguishing quality of the Segal/Sendak editio
Published October 15th 2003 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR) (first published January 1st 1973)

To ask other readers questions about The Juniper Tree and Other Tales from Grimm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Juniper Tree and Other Tales from Grimm

The Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanThe Last Olympian by Rick RiordanThe Sea of Monsters by Rick RiordanThe Odyssey by HomerThe Battle of the Labyrinth by Rick Riordan
Best Books About Mythology
100th out of 644 books — 1,302 voters
The Complete Grimm's Fairy Tales by Jacob GrimmThe Annotated Brothers Grimm by Jacob GrimmLittle Red Riding Hood by Trina Schart HymanSnow White by Paul HeinsRapunzel by Paul O. Zelinsky
Best Brothers Grimm Books
10th out of 33 books — 19 voters

More lists with this book...

Anne Sanow
What German parents (including my 2nd-generation parents) give the kiddies to read for fun. This is for children who display an early distaste for fluff, and looooove seeing the wicked get punished. Some weird moral twists, particularly in some of the lesser-known tales such as "Many-Fur," wherein: a princess who looks like her beautiful dead mother runs away and disguises herself in dead animal skins when her father, the king, decides he wants to marry her (?!?!!), then returns incognita as a k ...more
Eddie Watkins
There are few better combinations than a well-translated and complete Grimm's tale and an illustration by Maurice Sendak. Each Sendak illustration in this collection (there's about one illustration per tale) is a tale in itself, dense with detail but balanced, simultaneously innocent and menacing, and saturated with narrative suggestion.

This is a reissue of a classic collection. The book is well designed too, short and sturdy with clear text and the illustrations look almost like etchings.
Lars Guthrie
Wow. And I mean, wow. I had to drop all the things I thought about these stories, some of which ("Hansel and Gretel," "Snow White," Rapunzel") I thought were etched into memory. Stark. Eerie. Bloody. Matter-of-fact and bizarre at the same time, a paradox emphasized and reinforced in Sendak's splendid illustrations. Here's what it made me think about successful narrative: A good story is about events that we can never really understand served up in a structure that we do.
Douglas Dalrymple
A choice selection of Grimm tales, well translated – with all the weird violence intact. Sendak’s illustrations are fascinating. I picked this up for two bucks at a local used bookshop and consider it one of my best finds of the year.
Kelly
Catherine
Jul 22, 2013 Catherine rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People I don't like.
Published 1973.

So, there is a reason why the modern world needs Disney versions of classic tales - the originals are down right psycho!

In this collection of Grimm translated by Segal and Jarrell, there are a few well known tales (Hansel and Gretel, Rapunzel, and Snow White) and many obscure ones. Basically, there is much more cutting people up into pieces (Fitcher's Feathered Bird, The Juniper Tree, etc.)than THIS reviewer can stand!

The other major issue I have is that many of the tales end ab
Mark
I do not know how many versions of the Grimm Brothers tales one may *truly need* but I had to add yet another when I found this Maurice Sendak illustrated version for $5 at The Book Bin in Corvallis, OR yesterday. I tried to resist but ... :D
Jasmine
So, the downfall of buying used books is I only have the first of this boxed set. Oh well.
Karen Emily
The late great Maurice Sendak as illustrator with the never matched Grimm Brothers.
Jeremy
I love this translation with illustrations by Maurice Sendak. One of my prized books.
Jill Minor
This boxed set is one of my most prized possessions. I love the Sendak illustrations and old Grimm fairy tales.
One of the more unknown fairy tales from the Grimm brothers
Mie
Sep 23, 2014 Mie rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: e-books
I've only read The Juniper-Tree
Beverly
Excellent anthology, excellent illustrations.
Gary
The most beautiful illustrations! I had the pleasure some years ago, when out of sheer luck I saw an exhibit of Sendak's pen and ink illustrations for this book at the Goethe House, across from the Metropolitan Museum, NYC. Exquisite, delicate, deep and hilarious.
Claudia Osmond
Seriously, there's nothing like reading Grimm's tales. Especially when they've been directly translated from German rather than being retold. They certainly have the power to put you in a whole different head space. Enjoyed this book immensely.
Paul
A very funny tale from Germany (yes it's true...)

A moral tale about sudden decapitation, a wise young bird that knows all, and millstones falling onto evil people.

In fact it was "written" by Phillip Otto Runge before the Grimms.
Lesley
Some of these classic fairytales are just plain awful and difficult to swallow. Others are enchanting. The pictures drawn by Sendak give a different image to the stories. All the women are very chunky!
Liza James
This is one of my favorite things to pull off my bookshelf. It's part of a set of two... illustrated and translated by Maurice Sendak.
WELL worth picking up. Includes a lot of rarely found stories.
Betsy
I more than likely just perused through the set of books, only looking at the illustrations by Sendak. The illustrations being the only reason why I bought the edition in the first place :-)
Marissa Morrison
These stories are gory, trippy, and fun, but by modern standards some of them seem more like synopses than stories. Reworking these straight translations would make for a good writing exercise.
Esme_weatherwax
I enjoyed this book. Some of the tales I knew others I did not. A few were very bleak. The illustrations were well done. I will be looking out for Vol I for this was Vol II.
Teniesha Kessler
A fabulous collection of Grimm tales, both well known and less commonly known, accompanied by lovely illustrations by Maurice Sendak. Perfect for fairytale aficionados.
Elyssa
My mother bought an early edition of this book for me when I was in 2nd grade and I read it at least 50 times. I'm looking forward to revisiting it with my son.
Diane
loved to read versions that were closer to the originals than we usually read, with a few exceptions, most of the tales are less well known.
Elizabeth
Jan 01, 2009 Elizabeth marked it as to-read
I read this too may times to count before i was even 10 years old. But now I can't remember the stories, so I will definitely read it again.
Queen of Narnia
This was a disturbing book and made no sense at all. How did the boy come back to life?
Nicole
Alexa Mergen
Loved this so much I've hung onto my two-boxed set from 30 years ago!
Marie-pierre Stien
  • The World Guide to Gnomes, Fairies, Elves and Other Little People
  • The Secret of Evil
  • The Charles Addams Mother Goose
  • Arabian Nights: The Marvels and Wonders of The Thousand and One Nights
Jacob Ludwig Karl Grimm, German philologist, jurist and mythologist, was born at Hanau, in Hesse-Kassel (or Hesse-Cassel). He is best known as the discoverer of Grimm's Law, the author of the monumental German Dictionary, his Deutsche Mythologie and more popularly, with his brother Wilhelm, as one of the Brothers Grimm, as the editor of Grimm's Fairy Tales.

(From Wikipedia.)

More about Jacob Grimm...
The Complete Grimm's Fairy Tales Fairy Tales from the Brothers Grimm: A New English Version The Original Folk and Fairy Tales of the Brothers Grimm Grimm's Fairy Tales The Annotated Brothers Grimm (Annotated Books)

“My mother, she killed me,
My father, he ate me,
My sister Marlene,
Gathered all my bones,
Tied them in a silken scarf,
Laid them beneath the juniper tree,
Tweet, tweet, what a beautiful bird am I.”
36 likes