Start by marking “Star Trek and Philosophy: The Wrath of Kant” as Want to Read:
Star Trek and Philosophy: The Wrath of Kant

Star Trek and Philosophy: The Wrath of Kant (Popular Culture and Philosophy #35)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  191 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Philosophy and space travel are characterized by the same fundamental purpose: exploration. An essential guide for both philosophers and Trekkers, Star Trek and Philosophy combines a philosophical spirit of inquiry with the beloved television and film series to consider questions not only about the scientific prospects of interstellar travel but also the inward journey to...more
Published June 21st 2011 by Barnes and Noble (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Star Trek and Philosophy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Trek and Philosophy

Thomas
I've never been more embarrassed from reading a book in a public place. Well, with the possible exception of 'Lolita'...

This book offers some pretty predictable material on time travel, Spock's logic, free will vs. the Borg, Picard's code of ethics, etc...But what I really like is that it doesn't shy away from the murky moral issues explored by Trek's oft forgotten Deep Space Nine.

Picking up from some of the later TNG material, DS9 complicated Roddenberry's utopian vision with "realistic" story...more
Derek Parsons
A delightful collection of essays from various authors based on numerous Star Trek episodes addressing the philosophical questions therein. Let me quote the Star Trek creator Gene Roddenberry who quotes Ray Bradbury..."Because science fiction is a remarkable device for looking at the human creature and into the human condition. Indeed,as Ray Bradbury has often said, science fiction may the one of the last places in our society where the philosopher can roam just as freely as he chooses."

Some of...more
Bev Hankins
Star Trek & Philosophy: The Wrath of Kant is a collection of essays edited by Jason T. Eberl and Kevin S. Decker. These essays use episodes and moments from Star Trek's various incarnations and feature films to explore philosophical issues ranging from the nature of communication between very disparate species to logical development of Vulcans to the ethical dilemmas found in Deep Space Nine. The essays use one of the icons of fictional space exploration to explore the philosophies of the hu...more
David Shane
"Not only is Captain James Tiberius Kirk a man of action, he can also deploy a syllogism with deadly force."

May the same be said of us and our children.

This book is a highly variable collection of essays, both in writing quality and in how well the essayist connected with Star Trek. One of the essays is written from the perspective of a Vulcan, while other authors just seem to be grinding a pet axe with a couple episode references thrown in as afterthought.

But I'm glad I read the book. I especia...more
Wuhan
The chapter on Aristotle and the Ferengi really helped me to understand the current real world economy. I know. I'm surprised I wrote that sentence. However, I'm not kidding. I mean like...holy cow, man.
Stewart
"Star Trek and Philosophy," edited by Jason T. Eberl and Kevin S. Decker, is a compilation of essays on philosophical issues which were seen on the many "Star Trek" TV series and feature movies, including the nature of time, business ethics, mind and consciousness, and emotions and logic. The writers are mostly professors of philosophy. The essays vary in interest, but overall the issues discussed should be important to readers, whether they are Trekkies or not. The best chapter ("Time: The Fina...more
Garin
Jul 15, 2012 Garin rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Trekkies who also happen to love philosophy
This series of books present philosophy with examples from pop culture series that are well known to the reader. In this case, the series was Star Trek. The book does an excellent job of pulling examples from the source material in such a way as to make the philosophical ideas being described very clear. The book would not be as effective if the person did not have at least a basic knowledge of the Star Trek Franchise, and for those people I would recommend finding a book in the same series that...more
Steven Williams
An interesting view of Star Trek.
Becky
This book was great fun. It was very intelligent, and written in a way that easily caught amateur philosopher's up to speed on the last 3000 years of philosophy. Also, it was superb to go through and watch the episodes discussed in the book. Piling nerdy onto nerdy. Seriously though, people don't appreciate how much culture is influenced by philosophy, how their actions reflect their philosophy, and how much scifi/fantasy actually sets standards as a sort of "thought experiment" in and of themse...more
Matthew
Any fan of the different Star Trek series would enjoy this book, although I helps if you are familiar with TOS, TNG, and DS9. There are some fascinating and thought-provoking essays and it is definitely worth a read. Unfortunately, it seems that philosophy is incapable of answering most of the questions that are raised in these essays. I feel that there is a serious limit to what philosophy is able to accomplish.
Kathy  Petersen
Of course I loved it! It's Star Trek. But seriously it is quite interested to see how philosophers apply their various systems to the Star Trek universe. A few of them have to stretch to get there, but that's excusable.

I admit to skipping a few essays because, I am chagrined to state, I have seen little of DS9. That will soon be rectified as I have ordered the first season from Amazon.

Lance
A very light and fun look at philosophy through the eyes of the world of Star Trek. This book is a compilation of 15 page essays on a variety of subjects, such as the view of time, ethics and humanity. If you want to dust off your philosophy knowledge, this is a great book to do it with.
Jason Burke Murphy
Todd and I have an essay in this book in which we use the show to present the idea of political recognition.

Many essays are a true lark. The show is of necessity philosophical and several characters and plots are laid directly on a philosophical distinction.
Joel
Decently well put together book. Like anything that has many authors some of the sections were not as attention grabbing as others. For the subject matter it was very well written and incorporated the issues presented in Star Trek very well.
Josh
The first few chapters were great, but they dragged a bit after that. Still a good intro to philosophy for the uninitiated Star Trek fan.
Andrea Naegele
it was ok, i mean there were some intresting parts but over all it had trouble keeping my attention. Not the best but not a bad book
Naftoli
What can I say, I love philosophy and I love Star Trek this was a superb book! I'd give it 6 stars if it was possible.
Krista Ivy
it starts to talk about time and all I can think is about Doctor Who.
Ron
I thought it was great, but I'm also a big Star Trek fan.
Sveučilišna Knjižnica Rijeka
Zvjezdane staze (televizijska serija) - Eseji i studije
C
C marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2014
Sasha Philius
Sasha Philius marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014
Renate
Renate marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
Kenna (hoktauri)
Kenna (hoktauri) marked it as to-read
Tad Watson
Tad Watson marked it as to-read
Danny Mitchell
Danny Mitchell marked it as to-read
Joseph
Joseph marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2014
  • Monty Python and Philosophy: Nudge Nudge, Think Think!
  • The Chronicles of Narnia and Philosophy: The Lion, the Witch, and the Worldview
  • Sherlock Holmes and Philosophy: The Footprints of a Gigantic Mind
  • Woody Allen and Philosophy: [You Mean My Whole Fallacy Is Wrong?]
  • Dexter and Philosophy: Mind over Spatter
  • Superheroes and Philosophy: Truth, Justice, and the Socratic Way
  • The Matrix and Philosophy: Welcome to the Desert of the Real
  • The Daily Show and Philosophy: Moments of Zen in the Art of Fake News
  • The Metaphysics of Star Trek
  • Batman and Philosophy: The Dark Knight of the Soul
  • Doctor Who and Philosophy: Bigger on the Inside (Popular Culture and Philosophy)
  • Battlestar Galactica and Philosophy: Knowledge Here Begins Out There
  • The Hermeneutics of the Subject: Lectures at the Collège de France, 1981-82
  • Mad Men and Philosophy: Nothing is as it Seems
  • X-Men and Philosophy: Astonishing Insight and Uncanny Argument in the Mutant X-Verse
  • The Ethics of Star Trek
  • Lost and Philosophy: The Island Has Its Reasons
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Philosophy: Fear and Trembling in Sunnydale
Star Wars and Philosophy: More Powerful than You Can Possibly Imagine Ender's Game and Philosophy: The Logic Gate Is Down Who is Who?: The Philosophy of Doctor Who Terminator and Philosophy: I'll Be Back, Therefore I Am The Ultimate South Park and Philosophy: Respect My Philosophah!