Start by marking “Pierre: A Cautionary Tale in Five Chapters and a Prologue” as Want to Read:
Pierre: A Cautionary Tale in Five Chapters and a Prologue

Pierre: A Cautionary Tale in Five Chapters and a Prologue

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  5,423 ratings  ·  146 reviews
Pierre’s ‘I don’t care!’ intrigues a hungry lion. ‘A story with a moral air about Pierre, who learned to care.’
Published March 15th 1991 by HarperCollins (first published 1962)

To ask other readers questions about Pierre, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pierre

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleThe Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown
Best Children's Books
237th out of 3,145 books — 4,698 voters
Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! by Mo WillemsWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussChicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin Jr.Skippyjon Jones by Judy Schachner
Voices & Sounds - Best Read Alouds for Young Children
111th out of 445 books — 440 voters

More lists with this book...

Ronyell
Pierre

“Pierre: A Cautionary Tale” is apart of the Nutshell Kids Library collection by Maurice Sendak and is one of the most exciting one out of all the stories of the collection. “Pierre: A Cautionary Tale” is about a young boy named Pierre who never cared about hurting other people’s feelings until a lion comes for a visit. This book will definitely be a cult favorite among children who are fans of Maurice Sendak’s works.

Maurice Sendak has done a superb job at both illustrating and writing this book
Laima

I've included a link to Carole King's musical version of this classic children's story.
A fabulous combination of talent - Sendak's lyrical words and King's beautiful voice.

The copy I read was printed in 2013 but includes the original 1962 cover. The artwork in this story is also really well done; classic Sendak style.
What I didn't know?? This book is part of The Nutshell Library:

One was Johnny
Chicken Soup With Rice
Alligators All Around
Pierre

To sum it up this is "a sto
Dolly
Jul 10, 2013 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2013, childrens, rhyming
Odd, but entertaining story about a little boy who doesn't care. I've never been much of a fan of Maurice Sendak's work, but I thought this was a clever and humorous tale. The illustrations are simple and the chapters are very short. I am not sure if this book is appropriate for younger children, but older children will likely be able to appreciate the wry wit.

interesting quote:

"The moral of Pierre is: CARE!" (p. 48)
Esther
My kindergarten class did a skit to the song about how Pierre doesn't care and for years I couldn't figure out where the song was from and why it haunted me. I would even sing the one part I knew to people once in a while and no one could tell me more about it. I finally figured it out at the Maurice Sendak exhibit at the Jewish Museum about three years ago. It was like a revelation.
May 23, 2008 Sarah rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who don't care
Recommended to Sarah by: Edie
Shelves: childrens
A gem, to be sure with a solid moral. I do so love a moral.
sj
I just finished reading this 4 times in a row with my six year old. He read most of it to me, then asked me to read it to give the voices the proper tone.

He always doubts me when I say "Oh, this is a good one! I LOVED this one when I was your age!" but this time he listened to me, and he loved it.

LOVED.

His favourite parts involve the lion (of course) - he loves the satisfied smirk on his face when Pierre is eaten and watching Pierre's father smacking the lion with the chair.

I'm glad I found a co
Cheryl
A little odd. I have to admit, though I love Wild Things, I'm not an unabashed Sendak fan.
Krystal
Author: Maurice Sendak

Genre: Fiction Picture Book

Publication Info: Harper Collins Publishers Inc.: 1991

Reading Level: Ages 4-8

Topic/Theme: caring

Issues Addressed: It is better to care about something than to not care at all.

Classroom Uses: Read Aloud, Independent Reading

Summary: Pierre responds to everything with "I don't care." He does not care about anything. He does not care what his mother thinks. He does not care what he eats. Pierre is a comical character who learns to care.

Text and im
Aaron Siclovan
Pierre is a little boy, who grows up in a family, where he has the opportunity to enjoy life, but he chooses, instead, to be miserable. No matter how hard his parents are trying to educate him, his response is always disrespectful. Pierre is not listening to his parents even though they are telling him to do something for his own benefit. His answer is always "I don't care." Even if he is in danger, Pierre simply is saying that he doesn't care, so that's the way he gets eaten by the lion. Return ...more
Lesley
I remember enjoying reading this story to my students, and I also enjoyed the cassette tape (at the time) of the story put to song, sung by Carole King. Cute story about a little boy with an attitude who gets eaten by a lion. When he gets shaken back out of the lion, he has a whole new attitude! :)
Deborah
When I was little, my mother always pulled out this book and read it to us whenever we told her that we didn't care. Now whenever anyone says that they don't care, I automatically think of this silly book. I really like the book and the moral is a good one.
Amar Pai
"Pierre is surely dead!"

hahaha
Dianna
Prologue:
"There once was a boy named Pierre
who only would say, "I don't care!"
Read his story, my friend,
for you'll find at the end
that a suitable moral lies there."
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I LOVE Carol King's song about Pierre better than the book. I think it's because I'm not fond of Sendak's artwork.
Maya Watts
Pierre: A Cautionary Tale is a Maurice Sendak classic with a valuable lesson. It is a children’s chapter book about Pierre, a boy who does not care. He repeatedly disobeys his parents and always comments, “I do not care.” They leave him alone and he is eaten up by a lion because he says he does not care. Thankfully, Pierre is saved from the lion’s belly. He is alive, and he does care. The pictures in this book are very basic pencil drawings. The color is minimal, mostly black and white and yello ...more
 Linda (Miss Greedybooks)
"There once was a boy named Pierre..." I DON"T CARE! :P
David
Pierre: A Cautionary Tale in Five Chapters and a Prologue by Maurice Sendak is a classic moral tale of a child who learns a lesson about constantly replying: "I don't care!"

Sendak's illustrations are outstanding, with the humorous touches making the story engaging and effective, but not overly frightening. I love the illustration of the doctor shaking the lion upside down. I also greatly enjoy the long thin drawings above each chapter heading. My other favorite images include pouring syrup, wear
Blake
I discovered this little book among our family books that my Mom has saved for us kids. I was looking through those books with her for ideas of books that I can read to my students. One of my favorite things about the book is the title! Hmm, it looks like the title is incorrectly written here. The actual title is: Pierre: A Cautionary Tale in Five Chapters and a Prologue.

My students were familiar with the book because their teacher had read it to them last year. However, they were still excited
Susan
I never really liked this one as a child. Pierre getting eaten because he 'doesn't care'? It always just seemed to me that Pierre was just trying to do his own thing and avoid arbitrary directives. OK, not pouring syrup in your hair is a good idea, but not standing on your head, and to be killed for either?!? The 'moral' seems more like 'conform unquestioningly to authority or you will risk being killed for it'.
Sprout117
The one rare book that I will never forget from my childhood. Most children go through the "I don't care" phase and this is perfect.
Heather J.
one of my favorite books as a child. Would like to find a copy and purchase it for Teo and our family library.
Nannette
I think of this story every time I am exasperated with the attitude of not caring.
Katie Fitzgerald
The fact that two readings of this book by the same person taking place 23 years apart can be so different is exactly the reason I think Maurice Sendak is so brilliant. There is always something more to uncover beneath the surface of his writing, and always something adults can appreciate along with their children.

Read my full review on my blog: http://sharingsoda.blogspot.com/2011/...

Read at Read-Along Story Time for Beginning Readers on 8/8/13: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...
Knv
oh man this was a classic
loved it as a kid - the VHS version was also great.
Duane
Great to share with my kids after showing them "I'm Really Rosie" video.
Dee's Reading nook
Pierre and the cautionary tell of the words "I DON'T CARE"
Meghan
Feb 15, 2014 Meghan added it
I still sing this randomly when I'm completing boring tasks.
Heather
So many better books to read with children
Caralyn Rubli
One of my very most favorite books!!
Hope
Second only to Squirrel Nutkin :)
  • What Do You Say, Dear?
  • The House on East 88th Street
  • Elbert's Bad Word
  • Dear Mili
  • On Beyond Zebra!
Maurice Bernard Sendak is an American writer and illustrator of children's literature who is best known for his book Where the Wild Things Are, published in 1963. An elementary school (from kindergarten to grade five) in North Hollywood, California is named in his honor.

Sendak was born in Brooklyn, New York, to Polish-Jewish immigrant parents, and decided to become an illustrator after viewing Wal
More about Maurice Sendak...
Where the Wild Things Are Chicken Soup with Rice: A Book of Months In the Night Kitchen Outside Over There Nutshell Library