Start by marking “Reframing Academic Leadership” as Want to Read:
Reframing Academic Leadership

Reframing Academic Leadership

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  99 ratings  ·  8 reviews
"Colleges and universities constitute a special type of organization; and their complex mission, dynamics, personnel structures, and values require a distinct set of understandings and skills to lead and manage them well."
--From the PrefaceIn "Reframing Academic Leadership, " Lee G. Bolman and Joan V. Gallos offer higher education leaders a provocative and pragmatic guide
Published December 3rd 2010 by Jossey-Bass (first published March 31st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Reframing Academic Leadership, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reframing Academic Leadership

I read this book based on a recommendation from a mentor. Going into it I was anticipating a fairly boring read, but I was 100% wrong. This book is extremely relevant and accessible. It's organized very clearly; I had an easy time following the thought progression. I was amazed at how much of the book felt applicable to my role in an academic library.
Sarah Beth
I read this book as part of a class on educational leadership for my Master of Education program. Overall, the book does a great job discussing issues relating to higher education leadership, and strategies for improving leadership style. This book is organized around the principle of "reframing" or "a deliberate process of shifting perspective to see the same situation in multiple ways and through different lenses" (13). The last section of the book was particularly helpful since it addressed t ...more
Yámana Science & Technology
This book comes at a critical time in organizational change and potential for the academic institution writ large. Bolman and Gallos have a very forward thinking approach to the dynamics of human interaction, especially in context of different stakeholder groups and the attempt to 'lead' a conglomeration of independent entities (as it seems most academic departments are).

'Reframing' is apparently not a new term to the corporate sector, but this book, like Kezar and Lester's 'Organizing Higher Ed
Craig
Read for leadership institute at Harvard University.
This book goes over the more modern thoughts towards academic leadership in higher education. It takes a very causal and applicable approach to leadership and roles as an administrator in higher education. I liked it as I don't know a whole lot about what it actually means to be an administrator in higher education. It wasn't exactly anything new, just something to think about as far as awareness. In the end, I did like the strategies provided for being an effective administrator.
Amy
I had to read this book for an Organization and Governance in Higher Education class. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who works in higher ed. It's an easy read with great examples and insight.
Gwen
For the Leadership Institute for Academic Librarians. Excellent ways to look at and actually do leadership in higher education.
Katie
Well-written book with great hypothetical situations to connect theories to reality.
Tyler Forrest
Tyler Forrest marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2015
Raquel
Raquel marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2015
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2015
Margarita Nafpaktitis
Margarita Nafpaktitis marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2015
Jenn
Jenn marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2015
Rudy
Rudy marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Kate
Kate added it
Jul 21, 2015
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2015
Anna
Anna added it
Jul 26, 2015
Cass
Cass added it
Aug 01, 2015
Aaron Henderson
Aaron Henderson marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
Jerome Myles
Jerome Myles marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Innovative University: Changing the DNA of Higher Education from the Inside Out
  • Student Success in College: Creating Conditions That Matter
  • College: What it Was, Is, and Should Be
  • The Heart of Higher Education: A Call to Renewal
  • Academically Adrift: Limited Learning on College Campuses
  • Reflective Teaching, Effective Learning: Instructional Literacy for Library Educators
  • Student Development in College: Theory, Research, and Practice
  • Book: A Futurist's Manifesto
  • We're Losing Our Minds: Rethinking American Higher Education
  • Leaders: Strategies for Taking Charge
  • The Fall of the Faculty: The Rise of the All-Administrative University and Why It Matters
  • Case Study Research: Design and Methods (Applied Social Research Methods)
  • Servant Leadership: A Journey Into the Nature of Legitimate Power and Greatness
  • Qualitative Research & Evaluation Methods
  • Alignment: Using the Balanced Scorecard to Create Corporate Synergies
  • Generation on a Tightrope: A Portrait of Today's College Student
  • Our Underachieving Colleges: A Candid Look at How Much Students Learn and Why They Should Be Learning More
  • How the University Works: Higher Education and the Low-Wage Nation
Reframing Organizations: Artistry, Choice, and Leadership Leading with Soul: An Uncommon Journey of Spirit The Wizard and the Warrior: Leading with Passion and Power Reframing the Path to School Leadership: A Guide for Teachers and Principals How Great Leaders Think: The Art of Reframing