Start by marking “Very Far Away” as Want to Read:
Very Far Away

Very Far Away

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  125 ratings  ·  13 reviews
First published in 1957, Very Far Away is the second book Sendak both wrote and illustrated.

In this story, a young boy with a new baby sibling, must learn to cope with his sudden lack of attention. He goes out searching for 'very far away'.
Published November 8th 2005 by HarperCollins (first published January 1st 1957)

To ask other readers questions about Very Far Away, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Very Far Away

Maya Watts
Maurice Sendak does an excellent job of capturing the desires of children. In his book Very Far Away he addresses the desire that most kids have to run far away from everything. Martin feels like he is not appreciated at home because no one will answer his questions. He leaves and finds others that want to find a place far away from everything. They imagine a place where everything is perfect and they all have what they want. They all run off to far away together until they grow sick of each oth ...more
Brianna
In this two-part picture book, Maurice Sendak, paints an original story about a little boy named Martin who decides to go "Very Far Away", where somebody will answer his questions because his mother is too busy washing the baby to listen to him. Then, in one of my favorite illustrations in the book, Martin packs his bags and dons a cowboy suit and a fake mustache - "so no one would recognize him" - and he went looking for very far away.

During his journey Martin meets a horse, a cat, and finally
Bookish
I loved this book, as I have virtually all Maurice Sendak's books. This one continues in his typical style...sparsely worded in general, but with great sketched illustrations that enhance the story. It is quite a similar story to Where the Wild Things Are, but in a more conventional setting, and with animals rather than the monster-like wild things. For kids who have issues with monsters and other scary creatures, this book provides the same themes and experiences without the scary elements. I w ...more
Leah
Perfect book for my little boy. He loves it!
Justyn Rampa
This story is told in two books. If you end with book one, well it seems that everything ends happily ever after. However in book two, things get real and Sendak hits you with a truth about happiness and the delusion that if you were somewhere else, happiness would be yours. This is early Sendak with a very different style of illustration. Still incredibly thoughtful for a children's book.
Josiah
I think that I would give one and a half stars to this book. "Very Far Away" is something of an early version of "Where the Wild Things Are", and my liking for the two books is essentially equal. The main assets of the plot are its simplicity and truly whimsical illustrations.
Bryan
ONE OF MY FAVORITE QUOTES FROM THE BOOK:

"'So I'll go away,' thought Martin. 'Somewhere even very far away where somebody will answer my questions.' And he packed his bag."
Earl
Feb 04, 2012 Earl rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012, kids
"Very Far Away" is a cute little story about a boy who runs away because his mother won't answer his questions. It's also very funny- not just laugh out loud but in subtle ways.
Yvonne
Jul 14, 2013 Yvonne rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Yvonne by: Maurice Sendak story
Mama's washing the baby and Martin is unhappy because she can't answer all his questions, so he decides he will go very far away -- as soon as he figures out where that is!
wonderful sparse and strange tale by the author of Where the Wild Things Are - similar plot, though this time much closer to home.
Skylar Burris
Jun 04, 2008 Skylar Burris rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who loves Where the Wild Things Are
Shelves: childrens
This is typical, slightly bizarre, yet arresting Sendak, with a moral that isn't too obvious.
Kate
I didn't like how he returned at the end. After all, where is very far away?
Yarb
Dreamy exploration of the individuality of memory and desire.
Yerrin
Yerrin marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Bethany
Bethany marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Frank
Frank added it
Jan 04, 2015
Geordie
Geordie marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Maurice Bernard Sendak is an American writer and illustrator of children's literature who is best known for his book Where the Wild Things Are, published in 1963. An elementary school (from kindergarten to grade five) in North Hollywood, California is named in his honor.

Sendak was born in Brooklyn, New York, to Polish-Jewish immigrant parents, and decided to become an illustrator after viewing Wal
More about Maurice Sendak...
Where the Wild Things Are Chicken Soup with Rice: A Book of Months In the Night Kitchen Pierre: A Cautionary Tale in Five Chapters and a Prologue Outside Over There