Start by marking “Java for Dummies” as Want to Read:
Java for Dummies

Java for Dummies

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  114 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Start building powerful programs with Java 6--fast!Get an overview of Java 6 and begin building your own programs

Even if you're new to Java programming--or to programming in general--you can get up and running on this wildly popular language in a hurry. This book makes it easy! From how to install and run Java to understanding classes and objects and juggling values with a
Published March 3rd 2011 by For Dummies (first published December 11th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Java for Dummies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Java for Dummies

Trilok Reddy
It was indeed a good book providing a very good insight of the know hows of java and what it is capable of.
Dreyden
A very basic intro to Java fundamentals. For me, someone who doesn't understand programming at all, helped me get through my Java class. The book uses very simple analogies and metaphors to explain the basics of the Java programming language.
Palindrome Mordnilap
An excellent introduction to the Java programming language, and programming in general. Not only does Barry Burd write in a refreshing, straight-forward style, he also does a great job of explaining object-oriented programming in a way that finally sunk in for me (and I've been programming for many years).

Whether you're an experienced programmer who's new to Java (like me) or just a plain beginner to programming of any kind, this book is pitched equally well.
Lyle Appleyard
REading a technology book from 1996 is like reading a history book. The internet and technology have changed so much. It was meat to see a snapshot of what it was like then. Seventy percent of the browsers were Netscape. Where is it now? The idea of sound and video coming over the internet was an ambitious dream. Music files were in the uLaw format. Some of the information is still relevant. Java did catch on.
Lyle Appleyard
A recruiter recommended that I learn some Java. Like all Dummies book, this was good for someone who knows nothing about the subject. It was good start to learning Java. I will have to do some practial work to become more confident in it.
Andrew Rangel
Jun 13, 2012 Andrew Rangel is currently reading it
Jumping head first in to programming as a hobby. In between this, CodeAcademy, and iTunes U I should do well.

So far this book is a great read, and is very well laid out for beginners. Not too fast, not too slow, just right pace.
Curtis

One of the better intro's to programming in general that I looked through before I began, I can now create basic java applications after a week of readig and practice. Would have hoped for a little more meat but it was good.
Moshe Zioni
God. This is by far the worst tech book I have ever encountered, not to mention bought. (I was young...)
David
Good beginner's guide to Java, especially for someone with some programming experience.
Zeyad Etman
Zeyad Etman marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
Marina Andreou
Marina Andreou marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
Mia
Mia added it
May 09, 2015
Claudia
Claudia marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
Valentin Tosetchi
Valentin Tosetchi marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Rosa Carolina
Rosa Carolina marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
Juliet
Juliet is currently reading it
Feb 20, 2015
Janice
Janice marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
Warren R Martel III
Warren R Martel III marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
Mohamed
Mohamed marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2015
  • C++ For Dummies
  • Watch My Back: The Geoff Thompson Story
  • Podcasting For Dummies
  • Java 2: The Complete Reference
  • Comptia A+ Certification All-In-One Exam Guide, 8th Edition (Exams 220-801 & 220-802)
  • Hacking For Dummies
  • The Rough Guide to the Brain
  • New Testament Greek for Beginners
  • Electronics for Dummies
  • Sex For Dummies
  • Search Engine Optimization for Dummies
  • Basic Kanji Book, Vol. 1
  • A Dictionary of Intermediate Japanese Grammar 日本語文法辞典【中級編】 (Japanese Grammar Dictionary Series #2)
  • Invitation to Psychology
  • Japanese Grammar
  • First Peoples: A Documentary Survey of American Indian History
  • Historic Preservation: An Introduction to Its History, Principles, and Practice
  • Interpreting Our Heritage

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Beginning Programming with Java For Dummies Android Application Development All-In-One for Dummies Java Programming for Android Developers for Dummies Ruby on Rails For Dummies (For Dummies (Computer/Tech)) Eclipse For Dummies (For Dummies (Computer/Tech))