Start by marking “Java for Dummies” as Want to Read:
Java for Dummies

Java for Dummies

3.68  ·  Rating Details  ·  154 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Start building powerful programs with Java 6--fast!Get an overview of Java 6 and begin building your own programs

Even if you're new to Java programming--or to programming in general--you can get up and running on this wildly popular language in a hurry. This book makes it easy! From how to install and run Java to understanding classes and objects and juggling values with a
Published March 3rd 2011 by For Dummies (first published December 11th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Java for Dummies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Java for Dummies

Howard Ray
Sep 18, 2015 Howard Ray rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent book for any beginner developer who wants to learn basic programming skills. It is also a great book for an experienced developer who wants to bring his skills to the next level by learning Java.
Trilok Reddy
Feb 01, 2014 Trilok Reddy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was indeed a good book providing a very good insight of the know hows of java and what it is capable of.
Dreyden
A very basic intro to Java fundamentals. For me, someone who doesn't understand programming at all, helped me get through my Java class. The book uses very simple analogies and metaphors to explain the basics of the Java programming language.
Palindrome Mordnilap
An excellent introduction to the Java programming language, and programming in general. Not only does Barry Burd write in a refreshing, straight-forward style, he also does a great job of explaining object-oriented programming in a way that finally sunk in for me (and I've been programming for many years).

Whether you're an experienced programmer who's new to Java (like me) or just a plain beginner to programming of any kind, this book is pitched equally well.
Lyle Appleyard
REading a technology book from 1996 is like reading a history book. The internet and technology have changed so much. It was meat to see a snapshot of what it was like then. Seventy percent of the browsers were Netscape. Where is it now? The idea of sound and video coming over the internet was an ambitious dream. Music files were in the uLaw format. Some of the information is still relevant. Java did catch on.
Zuzana
Feb 09, 2016 Zuzana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So useful if you want to learn this programming language. If you have studied before another programming language, you should jump some chapters. But, if you have time, I recommend you to read the whole book because it has a lot of interesting things that I didn't know and the professors don't tell you at University.
Lyle Appleyard
Feb 14, 2013 Lyle Appleyard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A recruiter recommended that I learn some Java. Like all Dummies book, this was good for someone who knows nothing about the subject. It was good start to learning Java. I will have to do some practial work to become more confident in it.
Andrew Rangel
Jun 13, 2012 Andrew Rangel is currently reading it
Jumping head first in to programming as a hobby. In between this, CodeAcademy, and iTunes U I should do well.

So far this book is a great read, and is very well laid out for beginners. Not too fast, not too slow, just right pace.
Curtis
Nov 07, 2012 Curtis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: programming

One of the better intro's to programming in general that I looked through before I began, I can now create basic java applications after a week of readig and practice. Would have hoped for a little more meat but it was good.
Moshe Zioni
God. This is by far the worst tech book I have ever encountered, not to mention bought. (I was young...)
David
Jun 20, 2009 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good beginner's guide to Java, especially for someone with some programming experience.
Aeny
Aeny rated it it was ok
Jul 18, 2016
Ross Eaton
Ross Eaton rated it liked it
Jul 17, 2016
Rhaj Vijay
Rhaj Vijay marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2016
Hana
Hana rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2016
Darren Hignett
Darren Hignett rated it really liked it
Jul 11, 2016
Pavel Raevskiy
Pavel Raevskiy is currently reading it
Jul 03, 2016
Nyveon
Nyveon rated it it was ok
Jun 23, 2016
Joe Kreydt
Joe Kreydt rated it really liked it
Jun 21, 2016
Ana Costa
Ana Costa rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2016
Heather Pena
Heather Pena rated it liked it
Jun 16, 2016
Arash Ashrafzadeh
Arash Ashrafzadeh marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Paola
Paola marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2016
Miguel
Miguel rated it really liked it
May 26, 2016
Maria Dolores
Maria Dolores is currently reading it
May 17, 2016
Kendall
Kendall marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
Justin
Justin added it
May 11, 2016
Romana Maceri
Romana Maceri marked it as to-read
May 11, 2016
Kwasi Lewis
Kwasi Lewis marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
  • Podcasting For Dummies
  • Watch My Back: The Geoff Thompson Story
  • Java 2: The Complete Reference
  • Discovering Statistics Using IBM SPSS Statistics
  • Books by Oliver Sacks: The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat / An Anthropologist on Mars/Musicophilia: Tales of Music and the Brain
  • The Life Cycle Completed
  • The Depression Workbook: A Guide for Living with Depression and Manic Depression
  • Deal With It: A Whole New Approach to Your Body, Brain and Life as a gURL
  • HTML, XHTML & CSS for Dummies
  • Comptia A+ Certification All-In-One Exam Guide, 8th Edition (Exams 220-801 & 220-802)
  • Head First Software Development
  • Awakenings / A Leg to Stand On / The Man Who Mistook his Wife for a Hat / Seeing Voices

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »