Start by marking “Moon Child (Vampire for Hire, #4)” as Want to Read:
Moon Child (Vampire for Hire, #4)

Moon Child (Vampire for Hire #4)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  3,535 ratings  ·  170 reviews
Mother, wife, private investigator...vampire. Six years ago federal agent Samantha Moon was the perfect wife and mother, your typical soccer mom with the minivan and suburban home. Then the unthinkable happens, an attack that changes her life forever. And forever is a very long time for a vampire.

Now in MOON CHILD, sequel to AMERICAN VAMPIRE, private investigator Samantha
Published July 13th 2011

To ask other readers questions about Moon Child, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Moon Child

Vampire Academy by Richelle MeadShadow Kiss by Richelle MeadFrostbite by Richelle MeadBlood Promise by Richelle MeadSpirit Bound by Richelle Mead
Vampire Books
332nd out of 360 books — 153 voters
Beg by C.D. ReissWhat the Heart Wants by Kelli McCrackenDriven by K. BrombergGatsby's Smile by Morana BlueDirty Red by Tarryn Fisher
Kindle Lendables
74th out of 149 books — 33 voters

More lists with this book...

Sue
I found this installment pretty disappointing. There were too many easy coincidences, and Sam, who until very recently was still trying to figure out many of her vampire traits is suddenly capable of way, way too much. Holding off an ancient, super powerful vampire? Solving the mystery of the relic in a matter of days, when beings have searched and wondered for ages? She can hold the thing in her hand with no problems at all but when she wears it it suddenly embeds itself? She's out constantly d ...more
Chris
I feel like this story is starting to go off the rails at bit, new vaguely supernatural creatures that defy any description and lots of vamps that just happen to live in Fullerton, CA, even though there are only a few hundred around the planet. (??) I feel sorry for Sam's kids, I can't help it. Her sister is mostly raising them, and I think the author feels like if he inserts one scene of a tickle fight then all is forgiven. Still, an entertaining story, but needs some editing.
Eliza Brand
Wicked
Good. Still really like the characters. Glad there wasn't a cliff hanger. Short. 3.5 rounded up to 4 mostly because I wanted more (especially of Fang).
Matt Schiariti
JR Rain changes it up a little bit yet again...hot on the heals of American Vampire, Samantha Moon is left with a horrible decision..one that will quite literally change her dying son's life forever...Does she let him continue on his predestined path as described in the previous novel or does she use her own vampiric powers to change him into a monster like herself with only the hope that the medallion left to her by her maker MIGHT be able to reverse the vampire curse?

There are no cases here. S
Sharon Powers
Book Review by: Sharon Powers.

Moon Child by J.R. Rain, is Book 4 of the Vampire for Hire Series (Samantha Moon as protagonist). Pages number at 214--a relatively short book, I consider 400 pages to be an average book in size. This edition I read on the Kindle e-reader; I read it for free because I got it from the Amazon Kindle Free Lending Library (I can choose one free book per month from the lending library). "Text-to-Speech," "X-Ray," and "Lending" are features enabled for this book.

BRIEF S
Jasmyne
This was the first book of the series where I meandered through instead of devouring it like the previous three. Perhaps it's my fault - I shouldn't read them back to back so fast. That way I don't start to notice things. Like the descriptions tend to be very similar from book to book. I've stopped being amused when I read Sam's thought: "God, I'm such a freak." Character descriptions that were once given in a way that once came across as witty and down to earth are now just repetitive. Kingsley ...more
Laure Reminick
I've now read all of JR Rain's Vampire for Hire novels, and waiting for the next installment.

Vampire stories are not my usual fare, particularly since Anne Rice freaked me out a couple of decades ago. But I'm on Rain's email list, and he offered the series for 99 cents a book, and I took his offer. I can afford that much risk.

That Rain could make me care so much about Samantha Moon, soccer-mom vampire, not only compelled me to read all the books but helped me better understand how to write ficti
Kat Lebo
Moon Child (#4 in the Samantha Moon/Vampire for Hire series) by J.R. Rain

For those of you who have read my other reviews of this series, please note my rating. Yes, there was no cliffhanger ending on this episode, and that, coupled with a slam-bang story, I'm very happy to give a 5-star rating.

All the things I've said before that I like about Rain's writing are evident in this book: great proofreading and editing, wonderful characterizations, amazing multiple storylines, all woven together mast
Jackie
My heart was a wreck on Sam's behalf with this one and by the end my tears of relief for her sake fell fast and furious, even with all the unnecessary repetition in the story this one was my favorite of the four books.
Jamie
Samantha Moon is a soccer mom, ex-wife and private investigator all in one but she's also a vampire who's life just keeps getting weirder and weirder. She's tackled serial killers, child predators and creepy stalkers along with other much more unnatural things that go bump in the night. Now she has met her greatest challenge and it is an enemy that even she might not be able to fight. Faced with immortality and power she never asked for she's worked very hard to be a good person, a great P.I. an ...more
Marsha
Jan 30, 2012 Marsha rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Adults
"Moon Child" took me on a wile emotional ride. This time Sam is desperate to save her son, Anthony from Kawasaki Syndrome. He is quickly dying and she has a major decision to make. She also discovers that there are other vampires such as herself out there and she even known a few.

In order to help her son, Sam must find a way to unlock the secrets of the medallion. So, she discovers that a man named Archibald Maximus may hold the key to unlocking the mystery of the medallion. However, there are o
Carrie
This book was another really fast read -- it took only a few hours to blow through. We were introduced with a few new characters that will likely resurface in the next few books at some point.

What's there to say about this installment that's different from the rest? I'm still firmly on Team Fang, still anti-Kingsley, and Sam is still as witty and sarcastic as ever This book continued on in the same heart-wrenching way, looking for a way to use the medallion. Sam's powers are still growing, and
Gary
I liked the introduction of a potential nemesis. All good heroes have a nemesis. Batman has the Joker, Holmes has Moriarty, Superman has Lex Luther, Picard has the Borg, and Samantha Moon has Dominique. The introduction of a nemesis gives the series someone who can be a shadowy puppet master of potential danger and conflict. In future books, the nemesis can always be a red herring for the conflict of the story.

Overall this story was driven by the decisions of a parental love. When Samantha finds
Lisa Hall
These are fun reads, but they leave me wanting more, and not in that I-can't-wait-for-the-next-book way. I quit calling them books, they're too short. At the end, I liked this story best in the series so far. After I got past the glowy-ball that in essence told her creating an eternal seven year old was a good idea part,(I almost quit reading there and how did she know how to do that, exactly? Did I miss something?) this story was much better than than #3. There's not a lot of depth, there are m ...more
Kami Dodson-Perry
***Spoiler Alert***

The 4th installment of Vampire For Hire was another great story & adventure.

Sam & Kingsley are on the outs for awhile which helps Sam get closer with Fang. Fang & Sam have a strange connection to one another that they can not figure out. They can communicate telepathically & Fang can feel Sam's emotions even while apart. For any of you reading this series just know that there is little to no sex in this story line. I would love for J.R. Rain to have Fang &
In the 4th book of the Vampire For Hire series,Samantha has made the most difficult decision of her life, and now has 4 days to find a way to reverse her son's vampirism before he realizes that he is different. She has rested all her hopes on the mysterious medallion her attacker left behind six years ago, but finding someone who can help her unlock its secrets will nearly kill her. Kingsley gives her a clue, and her new vampire friend Detective Hanner offers the next, and soon Sam is discoverin ...more
Tamara
S.A. Hopkins
Book 20/ 100
Book: Moon Child (Vampire for Hire #4)
ASIN: B005CQ80R2
ISBN: 978-1105798894
Author: J.R. Rain

Read as part of Samantha Moon by J.R. Rain (ISBN: 978-193785617-5)

** Moon Child **

Picking up exactly where the last book left off, we find Samantha Moon rushing to save her dying son the only way she can… By turning him into a vampire. And hoping the legend about a cure is real.

Now, legend has it that a special medallion has the power to reverse vampirism, a special medallion that had been arou
Raelene
Moon Child; book 4 in the Samantha Moon Series, another great read! Let me start off by saying the Samantha Moon Series by J.R. Rain are a must read for Vampire lovers. They are refreshingly different as the Vampire is a strong woman, unlike the typical stories where the Vampire Character is male.

The books just keep getting better, or am I just becoming more vested in Samantha’s character? Whatever the reason, the books have the right amount of love interests, without being to syrupy, and have
 * Kazzy * -aka Stryker-
Another great episode in the Samantha Moon series! Every book I have read has left me feeling so much empathy for Sam, mothers and women everywhere I'm sure can relate to this character. As with the previous books in the series, this one is well written and full of excitement, action and intrigue, to the point I didn't want to put it down.

Even though there is the fantasy/paranormal element to the storyline, it is written in a way that I personally find very believable. I read a lot, and have to
Vannessa
I really enjoyed this book! Samantha Moon, private investigator, mother of 2, soon-to-be-divorcee and a vampire, has to make one of the most difficult decisions of her life - save her son or let him die of the disease that is killing him. She has the means to save him, albeit turning him into one of the bloodsucking undead. Does she really want her son to live the life she leads? The short answer is no, but she also wants him to live and will do anything she can to save him, including giving up ...more
Mad about
After Sam's meeting with Fang their relationship and bond has strengthened while her one with Kingsley has gone downhill.
Life's carrying on as normal until her son gets sick and she receives a call out of the blue from a missing girl. Torn between 2 children in need she uses her resources to her full advantage and makes some decisions that only a mother could.

I thought after meeting Fang we would see a romance or learn more about him but there really wasn't much on that in this book which was a
Valerie
Jan 09, 2012 Valerie rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Chanda Schwartz
I was glad to see that Rain seemed to get back on track with this latest installment of the Vampire for Hire series. There are still many unanswered questions to continue the mystique that characterizes this series. I am not a big fan of serials, so luckily there were enough loose ends tied to keep me interested in reading the next book when it is released.

One of the things that I really liked about Moon Child was that she was actively involved in solving mysteries relating to her person life. T
Phe☽♃
3.5 Stars Moon Child is a paranormal mystery/urban fantasy by J.R. Rain and the 4th book in his Vampire for Hire series.

The series revolves around Samantha “Sam” Moon, former federal agent and soccer mom, turned private investigator after an attack, six years ago, turned her into a vampire. Struggling to maintain her relationship with Kingsley—hot attorney/werewolf—and her friendship with Fang—cyber friend/vampire wannabe, Sam is now in the race of her life to save her dying son.

In Moon C
Chrystina Williams
Okay, so I enjoyed this one too! It was another interesting mystery with lots of things going on at once. I don't want to give anything away, because there were just so many things going on in this one.
Again Sam is trying to be a good mother and balance her job as a private investigator and her job as a mother and I think she does a fairly good job. She has to try to figure out how to save her child and she only has four days in which to do it. Meanwhile, she has her relationship with Kinsley
Linda
I love the Samantha Moon books and this one was no exception. I love the fact that this one was Sam's story. I liked that she has opened up to Detective Shebert and he accepts who and what she is. He is a smart man and a good human friend for her. I also like Detective Hannen, she is very interesting and will give Sam a female vamp friend to trust and confide in on supernatural matters.

Kingsley ignites a passion in Sam that is purely physical; she either thoroughly hates or lusts for him at the
Denise
As I've said before, this series just gets better and better. 'Moon Child' really took me on an emotional ride, especially with me being a mother. This book is thrilling, exciting, humorous, full of action and has some awesome characters. I love how Samantha keeps getting more attuned to her circumstances. She is definitely a bad-ass lead. The storyline is well written and it played out wonderfully. I can't wait to read the next book in this series. A must read. Definitely a recommended series.
Betsy
This book was really good. Samantha was an average wife & mother until she was attacked by a vampire 6 yrs ago. Now she is a vampire, trying to still live a normal life. What was really interesting in this book is, her 8 yr old son contracts a blood disease. Should she let him die, or give him the gift of eternal life, so they can be together forever? The author does a good job of showing her struggle, before & after her decision. Very interesting moral dilemma.
Karen Fowler
To me, the series is getting better and better with each book. Or maybe it's just that I've become so invested in Samantha and her life that I'm addicted? Whatever the reason, this book hit home especially hard for me (as a Mother myself).

Torn between the lesser evil of two unthinkable choices, Samantha has a very short amount of time to come to a decision, and then an even shorter period to reverse the consequences of her decision. While looking for answers she ends up on the radar of a big-bad
  • Forever and Always (Vampire Love Story, #3)
  • A Tale of Two Goblins (Dulcie O'Neil, #2)
  • Valle (Heku #2)
  • Rock 'n' Roll is Undead (Veronica Mason, #1)
  • Haunted Honeymoon (Casa Dracula, #4)
  • Kept (Blood Lust, #1)
  • Crossroads (Anna Strong Chronicles, #7)
  • Shadows & Dreams (Kate Kane, Paranormal Investigator, #2)
  • Vampire Wake (Kiera Hudson Series One, #2)
  • Bella Mia (Darkness, #3)
I'm an ex-private investigator now writing full-time in the Pacific Northwest, where I live in a small house on a small island with my small dog, Sadie, who has more energy than Robin Williams.

As a kid I was always making stuff: skates, skateboards, skimboards, skis, sleds, clothing, furniture, wood carvings, Easter baskets, comic books, you name it. I was the mother of all nerds. Anyway, I think
More about J.R. Rain...

Vampire for Hire (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Moon Dance (Vampire for Hire, #1)
  • Vampire Moon (Vampire for Hire, #2)
  • American Vampire (Vampire for Hire, #3)
  • Vampire Dawn (Vampire for Hire, #5)
  • Vampire Games (Vampire For Hire, #6)
  • Moon Island (Vampire for Hire, #7)
  • Moon River (Vampire for Hire, #8)
  • Dark Side of the Moon (Vampire for Hire #8.5)
  • Vampire Sun (Vampire for Hire, #9)
  • Moon Dragon (Vampire for Hire, #10)
Moon Dance (Vampire for Hire, #1) Vampire Moon (Vampire for Hire, #2) American Vampire (Vampire for Hire, #3) Vampire Dawn (Vampire for Hire, #5) Christmas Moon (Vampire for Hire, #4.5)

“You're never alone, Sam. Ever. As hard as life might seem, there's always hope. There's always a way, and there's always love. Always.” 2 likes