Start by marking “Deliriously Happy: and Other Bad Thoughts” as Want to Read:
Deliriously Happy: and Other Bad Thoughts

Deliriously Happy: and Other Bad Thoughts

2.89 of 5 stars 2.89  ·  rating details  ·  62 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Do you like dogs? Babies? Baby dogs? Have you ever eaten ice cream or had love troubles? Wish there were dirty parts in The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn?

If you answered yes to any of these questions, then this is the book for you.

It’s all here: This impressively consecutive collection of funny writing by Larry Doyle, the winner of the 2008 Thurber Prize for American Humo
Published November 8th 2011 by Ecco

To ask other readers questions about Deliriously Happy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deliriously Happy

Jess
**It should be noted that I received this book as a First Read giveaway**

Based on my previous reading of "I Love You Beth Cooper", which I was not a huge fan of, My hopes weren't very high for this nook. However, Doyle delivers a series of clever, witty, and often hilarious tales. The stories jump all over the map, written from several points of view and with several tones, from cutting edge to overdone. There is one thing that I feel would help the collection dramatically is the addition of a s
Jackie
There are 54 comic essays in this book (57 if you include the hilarious "Acknowledgements", "Addendum to the Acknowledgements" and "About the Author", and really should) that range from the looney to the crass to the incredible, all extremely creative and most of the type to make you laugh out loud. This would be a great bus read (if you don't mind guffawing in public), or a even better bathroom read (Larry would approve that use, I'm absolutely certain, as long as you've purchased it first of c ...more
Laura Martinelli
This has to be my first real “Did Not Finish” in my Library project— I got this in the ARC pile at work a few months ago, thinking that I’d get to it eventually. I’ve read Larry Doyle’s other books—I Love You, Beth Cooper was okay, it was enjoyable on some level and I couldn’t get into Go Mutants!

To quote the cover copy, this is a collection of short pieces “for fans who just want the satire, wit, merciless humor.” Which I’m assuming means anyone whose sense of humor has never expanded beyond f
Kiya
*I received this book as a First Reads giveaway.*

When I received Larry Doyle's "Deliriously Happy: and Other Bad Thoughts" in the mail, I didn't know what to expect. I knew it was a humor collection, but humor varies on the individual perceiving it. I, for one, did not find the collection laugh-out-loud funny. I recall little spurts of laughter coming to me while reading this book, but nothing too insane. I suppose if one is into the whole over-the-top, skit-like parodies, one would find this bo
Mark Hammond

I enjoyed the variety of short pieces by this smart and funny writer. Larry Doyle has written for Beavis and Butt-head, the Simpsons,the I Love You, Beth Cooper screenplay. It ranges from fun absurdity to the awkward discomfort/mundane horror of post-modern comedy.
John
A collection of short, comic pieces from the author of I Love You Beth Cooper and Go Mutants, Larry Doyle. This was my least favorite of the three. Perhaps the pieces would read better in a different context, say as stand-alone pieces in a magazine, but for me, presented in collection form, they just sort of ran together -- which made for a less than enjoyable read. More to the point, however, I just didn't find them all that funny.
Kate
I won this in a first reads giveaway. I wasn't sure how I would react to a humor book, but I was excited to give it a try. I tarted out liking it, but that didn't last too long. It was written well, and was creative, but I just didn't get the humor, which is not necessarily to say it wasn't funny. Some pieces I enjoyed and thought were comical, but I guess I just don't have the same idea of humor.
Karen
The back cover of this made me smile, with its reference to "baby dogs", so I checked it out of the library. Most of the essays inside did not make me smile, much less laugh, though I did enjoy the two which featured a dog as the main character. This collection just wasn't a good fit for my sense of humor.
Jessica
I won this book as a first reads giveaway. This is a collection of short humor writing, gathered from over the years. It has short entries about haphazard ideas, like "how to communicate with your dog". Each entry is pretty quick which makes it even more fast-paced... an entertaining book :)
Ajay Menon
Intermittently it's pretty funny, but taken as a whole, a third of the book rough I decided its time to stop. With so much to read, I couldn't see a point in continuing with this.
Jo
Ugh! I received this book in a goodreads giveaway and it is hard to find anything good to say about it.
Alyssa
Dec 25, 2011 Alyssa added it
Reminds me a little of Dave Barry but not as funny.
Danielle
had to give up on this one...
Paige Beichler
Paige Beichler marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Evelyn
Evelyn marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
Dave
Dave marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Katherine
Katherine marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Stacy
Stacy marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Leanna
Leanna added it
Apr 30, 2014
Mary Haroun
Mary Haroun marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2014
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2014
Louie Verile JR.
Louie Verile JR. marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2013
Brent
Brent marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2013
  • The Fran Lebowitz Reader
  • Coyote v. Acme
  • Enough Rope
  • Flight Of The Eagles (Seven Sleepers, #1)
  • Fierce Pajamas: An Anthology of Humor Writing from The New Yorker (Modern Library Paperbacks)
  • Word Hero: A Fiendishly Clever Guide to Crafting the Lines that Get Laughs, Go Viral, and Live Forever
  • Fe Fi FOE Comes
  • Of Empire
  • Critical Mass: Four Decades of Essays, Reviews, Hand Grenades, and Hurrahs
  • American Gothic Tales
  • Pot Psychology's How to Be: Lowbrow Advice from High People
Larry Doyle, a former writer for The Simpsons, works in showbiz and writes funny things for the New Yorker. He lives outside Baltimore with his wife, Becky, their three children, and one dog, until it dies, and then no more dogs, according to the wife.
More about Larry Doyle...
I Love You, Beth Cooper Go, Mutants! Huh Huh for Hollywood MTV's Beavis and Butthead This Sucks Change It MTV Beavis Butthead 3: This Sucks Change It MTV Beavis Butthead 3 Irish Pub Cooking (Nitty Gritty Cookbooks)